This day on September 7
None

Happy Birthday To: kingoftwilight, Czeching, Lovey, Grewal, Medlen, skider44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836604 is a reply to message #836603 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 21:39

I hate giving him any kind of credit for anything, but what a play by Tkachuk to save that goal at the end even though McDavid popped it in right after. He had a helluva game. Let’s not let him have another like that.

He screwed up though. Tried a guarantee and it failed completely.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836625 is a reply to message #836604 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 21:40

Mike wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 21:39

I hate giving him any kind of credit for anything, but what a play by Tkachuk to save that goal at the end even though McDavid popped it in right after. He had a helluva game. Let’s not let him have another like that.

He screwed up though. Tried a guarantee and it failed completely.

Also, he really braced going into the net after swiping it away... he doesn't slow down but rather takes the net off its moorings, coooulda been a different story.

Also also... OEL gave up on that. He stays with Davo, cooooulda been a different story.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836605 is a reply to message #836603 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Well boys, win one at home against a now very beatable Bobrovksy, and we have ourselves a winner take all next week.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836607 is a reply to message #836602 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 21:31

What a game. Love seeing us light up Bad Bobo again. So much chaos in our zone but we survived, largely thanks to Skinner.

Looks like Florida badly wants to try to kill us at the start of games and they kind of tail off as the game goes on. Still always opportunistic though. We can't make bad plays in our end and give them gifts. Keep surviving the early push and we have a great chance every game.

He’s rattled. It’s all in his head. We need to keep pressing early. Get one by and he is in major self-doubt territory.

I’d have preferred we keep attacking but we got the job done.

McDavid is incredible. 4th most points of all time now and could conceivably pass #2 next game if he keeps playing like that.

Another tough test Friday but man - this is incredible.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836606 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Draggin' 'em Back NORTH.. here we Go !!
https://i.imgflip.com/8uawzn.gif

[Updated on: Wed, 19 June 2024 02:06]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836610 is a reply to message #836606 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

All of a sudden FLA looks like an average team with, maybe, an average goalie. Bobrovsky put that team on his back and dragged them all over 3 prior series by playing at a Con Smyth level. And now, who on that team has the ability to man up and be the leader who says "Follow me, this is what we have to do..."

I think FLA is whipped now... confused2

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836611 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Game 1 👉🏻 Game 5

https://i.imgur.com/u5THZ8T.gifhttps://i.imgur.com/KmanJKA.png

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2024 22:17]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836613 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

.. I always knew Connor Brown would be money .. ;)

.. who'd thought it possible to go from Toby Reider award winner to playoff mainstay ?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836614 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NHL @NHL

Behold Evan Bouchard 👀

With his 26th assist of the #StanleyCup Playoffs, Bouchard passes Paul Coffey for most assists by a defenseman in a single postseason!

2 points behind Leetch, and 5 behind Coffey for the points record for a playoff year.

Witnessing a lot of magic this year.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836615 is a reply to message #836614 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Win it for Angie!

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2024 22:56]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836617 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

I was at the game and my heart rate is just getting back to normal. Panther fans are worried.

Met two guys tonight in my row - both quasi-Panthers fans due to connections, who also are originally from New York. One guy is Jason Demers father-in-law and originally an Isles fan from their dynasty years. We had a great chat about Demers and what went down back in the day. He has a soft spot for the Oilers for getting Demers his 700th Game. The other guy was a Rangers fan who is friends with the Panthers current owner. He also had connections to a former Devils owner. He was showing me pics of his Gretzky memorabilia including a press pass signed by Wayne the night he called the Devils a Mickey Mouse organization. Such a fun night.. and couple of days leading up to it. I was wearing my jerseys everywhere and struck up so many conversations with folks. Hockey fans are the best!

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836629 is a reply to message #836617 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Hibernia wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 02:06

I was at the game and my heart rate is just getting back to normal. Panther fans are worried.

Met two guys tonight in my row - both quasi-Panthers fans due to connections, who also are originally from New York. One guy is Jason Demers father-in-law and originally an Isles fan from their dynasty years. We had a great chat about Demers and what went down back in the day. He has a soft spot for the Oilers for getting Demers his 700th Game. The other guy was a Rangers fan who is friends with the Panthers current owner. He also had connections to a former Devils owner. He was showing me pics of his Gretzky memorabilia including a press pass signed by Wayne the night he called the Devils a Mickey Mouse organization. Such a fun night.. and couple of days leading up to it. I was wearing my jerseys everywhere and struck up so many conversations with folks. Hockey fans are the best!

That's awesome!

Not to get ahead of ourselves here - but IF there is a game 7, would you be going to that?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836666 is a reply to message #836629 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 11:58

That's awesome!

Not to get ahead of ourselves here - but IF there is a game 7, would you be going to that?

I wish!

We bought 50/50 tickets last night hoping to hit the jackpot, but alas I'll be watching from the comfort of my man cave at home. (Literally, just took off from FLA.)

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836627 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I’m at the point I can look at the Connor Brown contract and say it’s been worth it. We don’t get this far without him and I’m seeing clips of him in the dressing room being vocal and every player is hanging on his words.

The carry over still sucks, but just like my tickets to game 4 … expensive, I regretted for a bit, but totally worth it. Two more games and I’m converting my Ryan Jones jersey into a Brown.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836630 is a reply to message #836627 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 08:27

I’m at the point I can look at the Connor Brown contract and say it’s been worth it. We don’t get this far without him and I’m seeing clips of him in the dressing room being vocal and every player is hanging on his words.

The carry over still sucks, but just like my tickets to game 4 … expensive, I regretted for a bit, but totally worth it. Two more games and I’m converting my Ryan Jones jersey into a Brown.

We probably bid 2M higher than the next closest teams serious offer. It's like getting scammed by an insurance salesman for meteor insurance on your home for an extra $1000 a year. You pay it for 20 years and by some miracle a meteor hits your house finally. You celebrate signing up for the meteor insurance cause the repairs costed $10k and you avoided having to come up with a lump sum.

Anyways, we can forgive Brown if he signs for 2M next year :) Although, he probably will want 5M now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836631 is a reply to message #836630 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

And gotta say big thanks to Jackson for the forced coach change so we can actually appreciate Connor Brown this year. This season was very close to a being a full on disaster.

Jackson's abilities showing both ways. Completely owned Holland negotiating Brown's contract, then saves our year with his coach swap. Hope he has a GM pick in him too.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836633 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

One more game. That's all it is for Oilers hockey, one. more. game.

Lots to love about the Oilers effort and that Thakuk dive in the dying seconds of the 3rd before Connor scored was other worldly. They are back home and the roof is going to be blown off of Rogers Place for game 6. One more game boys. Just play one more game.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836634 is a reply to message #836633 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

You guys think travel may have affected the Panthers? Especially the older Bobrovsky?

Game 3 in Edmonton was their first time out of their time zone this entire playoff season (54 days). It was their first game out of the Eastern time zone since their March 12 regular season game against the Stars in Dallas (94 days).

Similar story last year - Game 1 of the finals in Vegas was their first game out of their time zone in the playoffs. And their first since their February 18 game against the Predators in Nashville (108 days)

As someone who has travelled a ton over the years, I got used to it. Usually 5-6 hours time differences. But I haven't been traveling as much the last 2 years, and just going to Edmonton last week messed me up for a couple of days. And same as when I got back.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836635 is a reply to message #836634 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 09:17

You guys think travel may have affected the Panthers? Especially the older Bobrovsky?

Game 3 in Edmonton was their first time out of their time zone this entire playoff season (54 days). It was their first game out of the Eastern time zone since their March 12 regular season game against the Stars in Dallas (94 days).

Similar story last year - Game 1 of the finals in Vegas was their first game out of their time zone in the playoffs. And their first since their February 18 game against the Predators in Nashville (108 days)

As someone who has travelled a ton over the years, I got used to it. Usually 5-6 hours time differences. But I haven't been traveling as much the last 2 years, and just going to Edmonton last week messed me up for a couple of days. And same as when I got back.

Gotta be a bit painful for them. On top of that having to cart all their family and friends back and forth.

Hope it's all extremely painful and stressful for them :) And they are spending these 2 days thinking lots of bad thoughts.

On the flip side, if we win game 6, our players have to do the whole family/friends travel across the continent deal for the first time in the series.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836636 is a reply to message #836635 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

McD looks possessed right now and at a point where he won't let them lose. The biggest thing is they are doing it without Leon doing almost anything.

I have to think Leon will find a way to muster up something for the next game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836645 is a reply to message #836635 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 10:27

Gotta be a bit painful for them. On top of that having to cart all their family and friends back and forth.

Hope it's all extremely painful and stressful for them :) And they are spending these 2 days thinking lots of bad thoughts.

On the flip side, if we win game 6, our players have to do the whole family/friends travel across the continent deal for the first time in the series.

Never thought of it this way but makes perfect sense. I'm sure the Panthers crew is doing everything they can to calm down, meditate, and reassure themselves but heading back to Alberta will only rattle them more. That clip of Bill Zito throwing a water bottle against the wall likely summarizes locker room feelings right now.

The scary thing about Game 5 would be Turtle finding his game in the 2nd period and almost willing the Panthers to a comeback victory; Bob seemed to have found his game in the 3rd period gaining confidence on the breakaway save from Nuge's shot attempt.

Let's hope a long 6 hour flight, 2 days off, and 2 timezones neutralizes whatever momentum Florida could've generated from the 2nd half of Game 5.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836647 is a reply to message #836645 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I think we are seeing the emergence of a very good, local, homegrown starting goalie in Skinner who's young and will be able to give the Oilers good goaltending for a long time. He's only in the second year of his NHL career so there is a good chance as he continues to work on his game, it will only get better.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836653 is a reply to message #836647 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 12:54

I think we are seeing the emergence of a very good, local, homegrown starting goalie in Skinner who's young and will be able to give the Oilers good goaltending for a long time. He's only in the second year of his NHL career so there is a good chance as he continues to work on his game, it will only get better.

If Skinner played on a different team I would be envious. As much as we overrate some of our prospects, we often dump on them early in their careers when they are still trying to find their way.

Off the top of my head, and only considering the first couple seasons of their career while with us; Arnott, Satan, Petry, Hemsky, Klefbom, Eberle one, two skip a few Bouchard, Skinner, Broberg and Holloway.

The pundits like Gregor always like to say that the NHL is not a development league, but it is a factual truth that players continually develop while playing in the NHL. It's just not a linear development timeline and the Meat eats them up, while the sheep fans believe everything they read.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836658 is a reply to message #836653 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 14:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 12:54

If Skinner played on a different team I would be envious. As much as we overrate some of our prospects, we often dump on them early in their careers when they are still trying to find their way.

Off the top of my head, and only considering the first couple seasons of their career while with us; Arnott, Satan, Petry, Hemsky, Klefbom, Eberle one, two skip a few Bouchard, Skinner, Broberg and Holloway.

The pundits like Gregor always like to say that the NHL is not a development league, but it is a factual truth that players continually develop while playing in the NHL. It's just not a linear development timeline and the Meat eats them up, while the sheep fans believe everything they read.

I am not siding with Gregor when I say I agree it's not a development league. Unless you are the elite of the elite, I think kids out of junior should go play in the AHL for a bit to get used to playing the pro style game and playing against men vs throwing them into the NHL right away.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836652 is a reply to message #836645 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 12:49

Never thought of it this way but makes perfect sense. I'm sure the Panthers crew is doing everything they can to calm down, meditate, and reassure themselves but heading back to Alberta will only rattle them more. That clip of Bill Zito throwing a water bottle against the wall likely summarizes locker room feelings right now.

The scary thing about Game 5 would be Turtle finding his game in the 2nd period and almost willing the Panthers to a comeback victory; Bob seemed to have found his game in the 3rd period gaining confidence on the breakaway save from Nuge's shot attempt.

Let's hope a long 6 hour flight, 2 days off, and 2 timezones neutralizes whatever momentum Florida could've generated from the 2nd half of Game 5.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love if the Panthers ran outta gas due to this travel and stress, and the fact most of the current team played into June last year too. Just pull a Dallas and run out of steam.

It can't be easy playing on that ice down there all the time either....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836654 is a reply to message #836645 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I do not think Bobrovsky every lost his game. The Oilers have just exposed his weaknesses. He did steal game 1, but look at his saves. We attacked his strengths.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836656 is a reply to message #836654 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 17:15

I do not think Bobrovsky every lost his game. The Oilers have just exposed his weaknesses. He did steal game 1, but look at his saves. We attacked his strengths.

I don't know if there is a hockey take I could disagree with more at the moment. IMO, Bobrovsky played one of the best SCF games a goalie has ever played in game 1. Certainly one of the best I ever remember watching.

Game 2 he was good when he needed to be, but certainly wasn't called on like he was in game 1.

Game 3, another very good game the first 2 periods, but then we got a couple by him. Not bad goals, but I would argue that neither were any more dangerous than at least a dozen chances in game 1.

Game 4 - well lol. That was awesome.

Game 5 - another 4 by him, including the sharp angle one my McDavid.

His play the last 7 periods is just about the opposite of the first 8. I'm not saying it will continue, but if Bob had played game 1 like he has the last couple, guaranteed we would be the ones up 3-2 right now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836668 is a reply to message #836656 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 14:43

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 17:15

I don't know if there is a hockey take I could disagree with more at the moment. IMO, Bobrovsky played one of the best SCF games a goalie has ever played in game 1. Certainly one of the best I ever remember watching.

Game 2 he was good when he needed to be, but certainly wasn't called on like he was in game 1.

Game 3, another very good game the first 2 periods, but then we got a couple by him. Not bad goals, but I would argue that neither were any more dangerous than at least a dozen chances in game 1.

Game 4 - well lol. That was awesome.

Game 5 - another 4 by him, including the sharp angle one my McDavid.

His play the last 7 periods is just about the opposite of the first 8. I'm not saying it will continue, but if Bob had played game 1 like he has the last couple, guaranteed we would be the ones up 3-2 right now.

That’s fair. I can’t say I’m 100% on every take, haha. I’d need to see where the Oilers shots came from in the first two games, but they all seemed low and he didn’t have a 5 hole goal against until Ekholm in game 3. They showed this graphic in game 2 I believe.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOyTy0RXYAADUJa.jpg:large

Since the 3rd period of game 3, almost every goal has been scored in tight and elevated.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836662 is a reply to message #836654 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 14:15

The Oilers started hitting the freaking net.

How many posts and bars did they hit in the first few games? How many wide open nets did they miss?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836664 is a reply to message #836662 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I heard a clip from Tkachuk from last night that I saw this morning when I was getting ready for work. I wish I had the clip with me so I could say it exactly. But basically he referenced the fact that the Oilers due to them being down, had to play more desperate than they do to win.

(I wish I had the exact wording) the way he worded it and how it sounded, it made it seem like the mindset of the Panthers is they don't feel like they have to play with as much urgency because they have more chances. He's 100% right, they do. However, I found it odd because if what I was sensing is true, that's a dangerous mindset. For the Panthers, I don't care if game 7 is at home, I want nothing to do with rolling the dice of winning when the other team has McD.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836670 is a reply to message #836664 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 17:21

I heard a clip from Tkachuk from last night that I saw this morning when I was getting ready for work. I wish I had the clip with me so I could say it exactly. But basically he referenced the fact that the Oilers due to them being down, had to play more desperate than they do to win.

(I wish I had the exact wording) the way he worded it and how it sounded, it made it seem like the mindset of the Panthers is they don't feel like they have to play with as much urgency because they have more chances. He's 100% right, they do. However, I found it odd because if what I was sensing is true, that's a dangerous mindset. For the Panthers, I don't care if game 7 is at home, I want nothing to do with rolling the dice of winning when the other team has McD.

That's just the Turtle coping with his denial. Oilers came out hot, figured out Panthers schemes, and outplayed them during the critical moments.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836671 is a reply to message #836670 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 10:46

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 17:21

That's just the Turtle coping with his denial. Oilers came out hot, figured out Panthers schemes, and outplayed them during the critical moments.

Florida players and Maurice are spending a lot of time trying to insist the pressure is on the Oilers more. That is 100% cope, and it's great to listen to :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836663 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Refresher.. icon_smile

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SrHcF.gif

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SrHgs.gif

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SrHgd.gif

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SrHgn.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836667 is a reply to message #836663 ]
Wed, 19 June 2024 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

Have to say Perry jumping off the bench and going hard to the net was truly timed choreography with McDavid's drive to the net. Not bad for an old fossil like him

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836669 is a reply to message #836667 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 18:21

Have to say Perry jumping off the bench and going hard to the net was truly timed choreography with McDavid's drive to the net. Not bad for an old fossil like him

Pretty sure it was Rishaug’s podcast that mentioned Nurse deserves some credit on the goal. PP1 was changing out and PP2 normally deploys 2 dmen. Nurse saw 97 busting up the ice and he called for a forward to jump up, and Perry popped over the boards for the tap in.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836672 is a reply to message #836669 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 09:57

halfafrog wrote on Wed, 19 June 2024 18:21

Pretty sure it was Rishaug’s podcast that mentioned Nurse deserves some credit on the goal. PP1 was changing out and PP2 normally deploys 2 dmen. Nurse saw 97 busting up the ice and he called for a forward to jump up, and Perry popped over the boards for the tap in.

Ray Ferraro also mentioned this on the ESPN broadcast...may have been the first to notice it calling colour in between the benches. Nurse basically insisted Perry step in first to avoid a too many men penalty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836674 is a reply to message #836672 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024

Ray Ferraro also mentioned this on the ESPN broadcast...may have been the first to notice it calling colour in between the benches.

He was five feet away, if that. Pretty good perspective.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836673 is a reply to message #836558 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jobs not finished, but still

Paul Pidutti @AdjustedHockey
#LetsGoOilers Connor McDavid has officially broken the era adjusted points record (44) in a single playoffs.

With 2 potential games to play, he could put some serious distance on it.

McDavid also has the era adjusted assist mark (36) by 8(!) over Gretzky (30 in 1987).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GQcBkYYXsAEAykE?format=png&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836677 is a reply to message #836673 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 16:24

#LetsGoOilers Connor McDavid has officially broken the era adjusted points record (44) in a single playoffs.

McDavid also has the era adjusted assist mark (36) by 8(!) over Gretzky (30 in 1987).

I always think era-adjusted stats are just full-on bullcrap and hopelessly biased. I imagine most of them are done by disillusioned penguins fans who want to find a way to pretend that 66>99. I mean, Gretzky had 47 points in 18 games but sure - Brad Richards run was almost as impressive.

I’m afraid if McDavid wants the real record he’s going to need to score 6 more points. It ain’t out of the realm of possibility either!!!

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836678 is a reply to message #836677 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 21:07

I always think era-adjusted stats are just full-on bullcrap and hopelessly biased. I imagine most of them are done by disillusioned penguins fans who want to find a way to pretend that 66>99. I mean, Gretzky had 47 points in 18 games but sure - Brad Richards run was almost as impressive.

I’m afraid if McDavid wants the real record he’s going to need to score 6 more points. It ain’t out of the realm of possibility either!!!

Gretzky still blows away everyone in ppg, and playoff hockey is much more situational than regular season games. I don't think ppl go too nuts with era adjustment. Think just tries to find how many goals are getting scored by how many players overall in the seasons and how hard it is to do something far off the norm.

Needing 5,7,6 and hopefully 7 games obviously helps McDavid keep racking up more points. But it's also amazing how much he is still bringing in games so late now, especially since he likely started the playoffs with an injury.

One thing for sure, we are watching something very special that we may never see again from 1 player in the playoffs.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 June 2024 21:19]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836679 is a reply to message #836678 ]
Thu, 20 June 2024 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 21:17

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 June 2024 21:07

Gretzky still blows away everyone in ppg, and playoff hockey is much more situational than regular season games. I don't think ppl go too nuts with era adjustment. Think just tries to find how many goals are getting scored by how many players overall in the seasons and how hard it is to do something far off the norm.

Needing 5,7,6 and hopefully 7 games obviously helps McDavid keep racking up more points. But it's also amazing how much he is still bringing in games so late now, especially since he likely started the playoffs with an injury.

One thing for sure, we are watching something very special that we may never see again from 1 player in the playoffs.

I’ll agree that McDavid is special but the guy doing this is a clown. Mario had 5 more games to get 3 less points but he suggests that’s the previous best season because the league had just changed so much between 1985 and 1991? The Brad Richards one is particularly egregious. Two years earlier Forsberg scored 27 points in 20 games and he doesn’t even make the list but Brad Richards is in the top few seasons of all-time? I mean, St Louis was just 2 points behind him and Iginla just 2 points behind that (admittedly in 3 more games). I just don’t think it’s comparable to the Gretzky numbers. Literally no one else was scoring 40 in ANY years other than Mario once. Coffey’s 37 is the next closest.

If it was that easy other people should have been doing it. The scoring leader in 1986 when Oilers dropped out early had 21 points. In 1989 the top three had 31, 25, 24.

#FireBobbyNicks

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #6)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca