This day on September 7
None

Happy Birthday To: kingoftwilight, Czeching, Lovey, Grewal, Medlen, skider44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836424]
Tue, 18 June 2024 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 86%
Florida to win: 14%
14 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2023-24P Regular Season
Saturday, June 8, 2024Edmonton 0 @ Florida 3Loss
Monday, June 10, 2024Edmonton 1 @ Florida 4Loss
Thursday, June 13, 2024Florida 4 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Saturday, June 15, 2024Florida 1 @ Edmonton 8Win
Tuesday, June 18, 2024Edmonton 5 @ Florida 3Win
Friday, June 21, 2024Florida 1 @ Edmonton 5Win
Monday, June 24, 2024Edmonton 1 @ Florida 2Loss
Home Record: 2-1-0       Road Record: 1-3-0       Overall Record: 3-4-0
Home / Road Goals For: 16/7 Total: 23
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/12 Total: 18

2022-23 Regular Season
Saturday, November 12, 2022Edmonton 4 @ Florida 2Win
Monday, November 28, 2022Florida 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/4 Total: 8
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/2 Total: 5

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836425 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

1 Cup

Lo, there do I see my father.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers.
Lo, there do I see the line of my people,
Back to the beginning Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them,
In the halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever!

Keep this crappy playoff beard of mine going.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836426 is a reply to message #836425 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

The simplist thing is the hardest thing and that's score 1 more goal than the Panthers. It doesn't matter if it's 1-0 in quadruple OT or 6-5 in regulation, all we need, all we want and what we must have is a win.

A couple of early goals in the first would put some doubt in the minds of Bob and the Panthers, but we can't go out stupid and cost us dearly going for it. This game has to be played with the head and the heart, Saturday was all heart, this one we've got a step back, but to make that a stride we have to be sensible.

Thought Leon spoke well to the press, he knows he's not been great, but a goal would get him going.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836427 is a reply to message #836426 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I know I'm being greedy here, but seeing how Bob was in last year's finals, I know it's not impossible. I want to see us get 5 by him again tonight. Chase him for a second game in a row and really get in his head. Hope we score early and often.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836428 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Drag them back to Alberta.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836429 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

The mission is clear. The mission... is MUST

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836449 is a reply to message #836429 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 15:39

The mission is clear. The mission... is MUST

Forget mission it's gone to a full on storm.
https://i.postimg.cc/7h6BcXQP/movie-noah-emma-watson-wallpaper-preview-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836430 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

A quiet confidence amongst the team and the fan base. Bring this home and put more doubt in Bob's confidence.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836432 is a reply to message #836430 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

McD final had himself a good game in game 4.

Leon has been quiet, same for Hyman, same for Nuge, same for Bouchard. It's time for those guys to step up. They need 3 good games from them.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836433 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

We now have joined just nine other teams in history who've fallen behind 0-3 in the Finals and then won a game. Of those, six fell in game 5. Only three have moved further.

The 2012 New Jersey Devils (with Adam Henrique in the lineup) fell in six games.

The 1945 Detroit Red Wings forced the series to a deciding game but lost.

And the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs returned from the dead to win.

Bobrovsky has hopefully had two sleepless nights imagining all those pucks going past him, the echoes of SER-GEI! SER-GEI! SER-GEI! ringing in his ears. He has to be thinking about last year, and how his magical run turned to dust, unable to stop the relentless attack from Vegas...and worrying that that could happen again.

If we can get to him early, you know he'll have those nagging "not again" thoughts in his head...

GO OILERS!!!!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836434 is a reply to message #836433 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

They're going to have to play 60 minutes tonight. The Panthers are not going to be lulled to sleep again if they fall behind 3-1. Tonight is their night. They know it. It's destiny. The Oilers have to be better everywhere to upset the entire hockey world and give us a Friday night Stanley Cup final game 6 where the city will lose its collective mind again. It'll be beautiful.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836451 is a reply to message #836433 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 12:14

Bobrovsky has hopefully had two sleepless nights imagining all those pucks going past him, the echoes of SER-GEI! SER-GEI! SER-GEI! ringing in his ears.

Were there SER-GEI chants at that game? icon_rolleyes

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836436 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

My rambling thoughts going into tonight.

Saturday marked the first time in Oiler history that they were a game away from being swept, and their opponent failed to complete it. It had happened six times previously: Philadelphia (1980), NY Islanders (1983), Chicago (1992), Dallas (1999), Winnipeg (2021), and Colorado (2022)--all ended in sweeps. So historically we're in some new territory here.

A couple of situations came to my mind after Saturday's win. The first was their experience with Billy Smith in the 1983 and 1984 finals. The Islanders of course swept the Oilers in 1983, holding them to just 6 goals, and then allowed just two goals in the first two games of the 1984 final. So in six straight playoff games the Oilers had scored 8 goals--and remember this was the highest scoring team in NHL history (averaging around 5.5 per game). Smith just seemed unbeatable but then the Oilers pumped 7 by him in game 3 and another 7 in game 4. In two games he went from immortal to so bad the Islanders didn't even start him in game 5. I really hope the same fate awaits Bobrovsky over the next three games.

The other series that popped into my mind were the 2006 and 2017 ones against Carolina and Anaheim respectively. In each the Oilers faced elimination in game 6, then played a dominant game at home to force game 7. Both times we had a lot of confidence going into game 7 only for our opponent to come out with one of their best efforts and completely shut down our offense. I really want to avoid this tonight.

Most teams have a losing record when facing elimination--this makes sense since if you think about a team with a long history, you will generally face elimination when you're up against a superior opponent. But the Oilers actually came into the playoffs this year with a pretty good record of 18-20 when facing elimination, and after winning three games in this situation so far this year (two against Vancouver and Saturday), they are now above 0.500 at 21-20. Let's hope they've got three more wins in them--I wonder if a team has ever staved off elimination 6 times in one playoff year.

If the Oilers are to make this comeback, tonight will be the most difficult win. As much as we want to see game 6, I would imagine the Panthers REALLY don't want to have to come back to Edmonton and will be focused and ready tonight.

All hands on deck and let's get this done.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836437 is a reply to message #836436 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 09:40

Saturday marked the first time in Oiler history that they were a game away from being swept, and their opponent failed to complete it. It had happened six times previously: Philadelphia (1980), NY Islanders (1983), Chicago (1992), Dallas (1999), Winnipeg (2021), and Colorado (2022)--all ended in sweeps. So historically we're in some new territory here.

A couple of situations came to my mind after Saturday's win. The first was their experience with Billy Smith in the 1983 and 1984 finals. The Islanders of course swept the Oilers in 1983, holding them to just 6 goals, and then allowed just two goals in the first two games of the 1984 final. So in six straight playoff games the Oilers had scored 8 goals--and remember this was the highest scoring team in NHL history (averaging around 5.5 per game). Smith just seemed unbeatable but then the Oilers pumped 7 by him in game 3 and another 7 in game 4. In two games he went from immortal to so bad the Islanders didn't even start him in game 5. I really hope the same fate awaits Bobrovsky over the next three games.

The other series that popped into my mind were the 2006 and 2017 ones against Carolina and Anaheim respectively. In each the Oilers faced elimination in game 6, then played a dominant game at home to force game 7. Both times we had a lot of confidence going into game 7 only for our opponent to come out with one of their best efforts and completely shut down our offense. I really want to avoid this tonight.

Most teams have a losing record when facing elimination--this makes sense since if you think about a team with a long history, you will generally face elimination when you're up against a superior opponent. But the Oilers actually came into the playoffs this year with a pretty good record of 18-20 when facing elimination, and after winning three games in this situation so far this year (two against Vancouver and Saturday), they are now above 0.500 at 21-20. Let's hope they've got three more wins in them--I wonder if a team has ever staved off elimination 6 times in one playoff year.

If the Oilers are to make this comeback, tonight will be the most difficult win. As much as we want to see game 6, I would imagine the Panthers REALLY don't want to have to come back to Edmonton and will be focused and ready tonight.

Was it baby Kelly Hrudey that started that last game in 1984? I know Pat Lafontaine was a rookie on that team too...just missed glory thanks to the Oilers (and was their best player probably in that series as the old guys started to break down).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836440 is a reply to message #836437 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 09:46

Was it baby Kelly Hrudey that started that last game in 1984? I know Pat Lafontaine was a rookie on that team too...just missed glory thanks to the Oilers (and was their best player probably in that series as the old guys started to break down).

It looks my memory was a bit faulty (it's been 40 years--I'll give myself a pass). Here's the boxscore from that game:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/edm-vs-nyi/1984/05/19/1983030 415/boxscore

It looks like Smith did actually start, but was pulled after giving up 2 goals on 9 shots in the first period. It was Rollie Melanson that was his backup and went in for the last two periods--I think Hrudey joined the Islanders the next year.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836441 is a reply to message #836440 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 11:04

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 09:46

It looks my memory was a bit faulty (it's been 40 years--I'll give myself a pass). Here's the boxscore from that game:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/edm-vs-nyi/1984/05/19/1983030 415/boxscore

It looks like Smith did actually start, but was pulled after giving up 2 goals on 9 shots in the first period. It was Rollie Melanson that was his backup and went in for the last two periods--I think Hrudey joined the Islanders the next year.

I looked that one up - he was the third string. Played in 12 games as a rookie netminder that year (and only 6 minor league games???). Didn't get a sniff in the post-season but probably was in the building to watch the Isles lose...maybe the start of his Oilers hate-on.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836438 is a reply to message #836436 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Also - yep! There's a team with even more than six. I believe that Islanders team came back from 0-3, then went down 0-3 again in another series and again went to seven before losing.

https://records.nhl.com/records/playoff-team-records/facing- elimination/team-most-wins-facing-elimination-season

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836439 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

We have been the better team 3/4 of these games.

I feel good about tonight. Get it done and it’s a series.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836442 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I dunno what could be greater than interdimensional Must, but this is it. Win this one to send it back home boys! The pressure on Florida and Bobo will go through the roof.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836443 is a reply to message #836442 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

I don’t care how you win. Just win and send this sucker to game 6!!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836446 is a reply to message #836443 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

What gives me hope is the Oilers haven't been overmatched. If Bob didn't play out of his mind in the first 3, at bar minimum, it's a tied series. He stole game 1. In game 2, even though they didn't play that great, he was still unreal. In game 3, the Bob made some unreal stops in the first, Oilers had a bad second but came back and if not for Bob late in the 3rd, it's tied and going to OT.

The Oilers PP has generated a lot of chances but hasn't cashed in. They have hit the post a bunch of times, missed open nets. It's not the Panthers PK stopping them.

Most of the Oilers big guns haven't score a lot.

I look at game 4 and Bob wasn't bad. He gave up 5 but still made some unreal stops. The problem was, he was just good, not out of this world. I didn't think he had much of a chance on any of them, maybe the 1st one I guess. The Oilers shot, actually hit the net and hit their spots.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836447 is a reply to message #836446 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Win it for Angie.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836448 is a reply to message #836442 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 11:26

I dunno what could be greater than interdimensional Must, but this is it. Win this one to send it back home boys! The pressure on Florida and Bobo will go through the roof.

We've reached the Andromeda Galaxy

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836450 is a reply to message #836448 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 11:44

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/spaceballs/images/f/fc/Plaid_Ludicrous_Speed.gif

https://media1.tenor.com/m/73M-Gvu9xYsAAAAC/spaceballs-plaid.gif

Ludicrous Plaid Tier Must

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836452 is a reply to message #836450 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 12:19

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 11:44

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/spaceballs/images/f/fc/Plaid_Ludicrous_Speed.gif

https://media1.tenor.com/m/73M-Gvu9xYsAAAAC/spaceballs-plaid.gif

Ludicrous Plaid Tier Must

LMAO! YESSSS!!!!!!!!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836444 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Though he skates through the Valley of Hacks.. McD shall overcome..

Clip from NHL referee training video on permissible penalty threshold limits for McDavid..
https://i.imgur.com/3zgZ7BE.jpeg

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2024 11:41]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836453 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

So, just got the alert that my #97 Pro sweater with the Cup patch is out for delivery. Just in time for Puck drop. Hoping it brings luck.

Figured I should order one before they replace the 3 Stripes with the dumb Fanatics logo

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2024 13:52]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836454 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Unsurprisingly, no change in Oilers lineup--although I was hoping Kane might be healed. No such luck

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins -- Connor McDavid -- Zach Hyman
Ryan McLeod -- Leon Draisaitl -- Corey Perry
Mattias Janmark -- Adam Henrique -- Connor Brown
Warren Foegele -- Derek Ryan -- Dylan Holloway

Mattias Ekholm -- Evan Bouchard
Darnell Nurse -- Philip Broberg
Brett Kulak -- Cody Ceci

Stuart Skinner
Calvin Pickard

Scratched: Vincent Desharnais, Sam Gagner, Sam Carrick

Injured: Evander Kane (sports hernia), Troy Stecher (ankle)

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836455 is a reply to message #836454 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 15:02

Unsurprisingly, no change in Oilers lineup--although I was hoping Kane might be healed. No such luck

Brett Kulak -- Cody Ceci

Stuart Skinner
Calvin Pickard

I am not surprised they didn't change the lines. The only thing I would have done is swap Carrick in for Ryan. Carrick won't give you anymore offense but at least he wins faceoffs. He was 66.7% his last game. Ryan has been 40 and 42.9%. I don't expect either of those 2 to play a ton, I'd be throwing out McD and Leon from time to time to take a spot with the 4th line to screw up Florida's match ups and with McLeod and Perry, maybe you get some offence, but when they get ice time, they need to win their draws.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836457 is a reply to message #836454 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 18 June 2024 15:02

Brett Kulak -- Cody Ceci

Stuart Skinner
Calvin Pickard

Think that is a change of the top 2 lines, which surprises me a bit if those are really the lines. Thought Nuge looked better playing slower with Drai and McDavid's line was better with a higher energy winger.

Hope it works, but this is closer to the setup that lost 3 in a row with our top 6 having a rough time getting things done.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2024 17:22]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836458 is a reply to message #836457 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

What’s the over/under on the number of Panthers that will make miraculous recoveries after being on the brink of death on the ice?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836456 is a reply to message #836424 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

https://i.imgflip.com/8ua9pj.gif

LETS F GO OIL !!

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2024 17:00]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5) [message #836518 is a reply to message #836456 ]
Tue, 18 June 2024 19:26 Go to previous message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

BELIEVE

If there's a team that can pull off an improbable comeback... it's this team. LET'S GOOOOOO!!!!

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2024 19:29]

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #5)
Next Topic:Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca