Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   77%
Florida to win:   23%
13 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836244 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

OilFans bot knows what is up.

Nurse/Ceci in game 1 was Knob's Ty Conklin as backup moment

edit: failed reverse jinx post :(

[Updated on: Thu, 13 June 2024 20:59]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836266 is a reply to message #836244 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b_1_b  is currently offline b_1_b

No Cups

Well folks…I’m at a crossroads in my sports watching future.
I started watching the Oilers with Gretzky and company and never really stopped except for a couple of partial seasons during the decade of darkness. Additionally, I’ve only missed a handful of games during McDavid’s career with the Oilers.

However, I’m not sure I actually enjoy watching “Bettman’s” NHL. This final series is an absolute f’n joke in how it is being “managed” by the officials! If Bettman truly believes that the way to grow hockey is to allow the non-stop infractions against highly skilled players and allow cheap shot artist’s and 4th liners to rule the day well the game will continue to stagnate and never grow into something better. All penalties should be called against either team when they occur. Not just when it suits the refs/league.

Kudos to Maurice and Florida they figured it out long ago…they know the refs will not call every infraction so they just continue to be greasy, dirty and play a version of hockey that they can get away with but is just hard to watch for many fans including me.
I don’t believe any other pro sport allows its best players to take more abuse than the NHL does. It’s just sad…just make the refs call all the infractions as they see them against both teams period and stop the “game management”!

I may have to wean myself off the game slowly since it has been 40+ years of watching my team but honestly it is just too hard to watch these days.

I hope they can somehow be the 2nd team? ever to come back from being 3-0 down but they will likely do it without me watching.

I’ll think about it over the summer but I really think this may be the last time I purposely watch an NHL hockey game unless something drastic changes like it did after the last lock out when thy tried to get rid of all of the clutching and grabbing shenanigans.

I’ve enjoyed stopping by here since 2005 even though I don’t post much anymore. Good luck to you all and Go Oilers!

[Updated on: Thu, 13 June 2024 21:38]

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836284 is a reply to message #836266 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

b_1_b wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 21:35

Kudos to Maurice and Florida they figured it out long ago…they know the refs will not call every infraction so they just continue to be greasy, dirty and play a version of hockey that they can get away with but is just hard to watch for many fans including me.

This is the reality. And it's why teams that get caught up on speed and skill in the regular season end up regretting it.

In the playoffs you can do whatever you want. You will take some penalties but so will the other team - the refs will make up calls as needed to roughly even it out. So if you have the bigger nastier dirtier team it will pay off. And the media will chirp the narrative that refereeing wasn't a factor because the penalties called are the same.

So since that is the case the only real deterent that will stop teams from taking liberties is if they know that some of that nastiness is coming back their way. Once they sense that it's one way traffic you are already sunk. Toughness, size and "grit" are probably the most important attributes for a team to have until (like you said) the league actually decides that they want to showcase talent instead.

At the start of this series I said that it will depend on 3 things - if the oilers can avoid piling up injuries against the "physical" panthers, getting decent goaltending and if 91 was healthy enough to provide some push back.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836253 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

https://i.postimg.cc/4xrmgLqP/bill-paxton.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836255 is a reply to message #836253 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

These games just go to prove the value of SCF experience.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836257 is a reply to message #836255 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oiltec wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 21:00

These games just go to prove the value of SCF experience.

Value of building out proper depth as well.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836254 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Obvious weak links we knew about years ago spotted 2 goals again. Hole too deep to get out of.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836256 is a reply to message #836254 ]
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

What a shame. Made it interesting and gave some hope, but another loss

No way we win 4 straight against this team. Too many mistakes from us, and not scoring on 10 PP’s is the difference. What a shame we can’t even give the fans a solid cup final. I just hope we don’t get swept now

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836258 is a reply to message #836256 ]

No Cups

Sooo pickard?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836268 is a reply to message #836258 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Jay wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 00:01

Sooo pickard?

I would 100% start Pickard and Gagner.

Skinner has 11 games under .900. Only 8 over .900. Pickard has 3 in 3 games.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836269 is a reply to message #836268 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 20:50

Jay wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 00:01

Sooo pickard?

I would 100% start Pickard and Gagner.

Skinner has 11 games under .900. Only 8 over .900. Pickard has 3 in 3 games.

Amen.

And seriously consider one or both of Nurse and Ceci watching from press box. Don’t know what to do with Bouchard except pray he can hold it together another game.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836260 is a reply to message #836254 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The roster needs an enema. Too many empty heads and empty hearts to make the final step.

McDavid will have atleast a full year of being questioned to contend with. But more of a supporting cast problem.

Nurse, Campbell, Ceci, Kane, … dead weight that needs to be off the books.

Goal needs an upgrade who can cover up mistakes, not add one each game.

Bottom six need upgrade for some scoring.

D need upgrade in places for Nurse and Ceci. Broberg is set.

Bouchard hurts as much as he helps, he was way over his head in the finals.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 June 2024 21:11]

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836262 is a reply to message #836260 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 21:07

The roster needs an enema. Too many empty heads and empty hearts to make the final step.

McDavid will have atleast a full year of being questioned to contend with. But more of a supporting cast problem.

Nurse, Campbell, Ceci… lots of dead weight that needs to be off the books.

Thought This finals run would make it easy to convince Drai to extend this summer. But we started him with McLeod and Perry lol. Sweep would be an extra burn.

Next GM needs to be a solid salesman.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836263 is a reply to message #836262 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 20:09

Nurse, Campbell, Ceci… lots of dead weight that needs to be off the books.

Thought This finals run would make it easy to convince Drai to extend this summer. But we started him with McLeod and Perry lol. Sweep would be an extra burn.

Next GM needs to be a solid salesman.

Next GM has to convince Drai, players, fans, and free agents he can take the next step without a Chiarelli level implosion.

And be amenable to keeping Knobs, rather than “bring in my own guy.”

As for Drai… we have nothing outside of Nuge and Hyman as top six wings. The second line was a 1C with two bottom six wingers.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836285 is a reply to message #836260 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Bouchard hurts as much as he helps, he was way over his head in the finals.

I didn't see 2 to be that bad last night. Yes he is probably overwhelmed - the guy is being asked to do everything for this teams and carry the d in all 3 zones while playing 30 a night and getting targeted every shift.

I thought Elkholm was garbage tonight.

But that pair is pretty low on the list of problems with the Oilers.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836259 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Hopefully Gagner gets in for game 4.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836261 is a reply to message #836259 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

To little too late, but at least we scored more than 1 goal on Bob, maybe in game 4 we can have some confidence in doing that again and at least take 1 game off them. The last thing I want is a sweep and them celebrating on our ice.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836270 is a reply to message #836259 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razaa  is currently offline Razaa

No Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 21:04

Are we really thinking Gagner will be the difference here ??

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836271 is a reply to message #836270 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Razaa wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 01:02

Yeah. That’s exactly what we’re saying. Put Gagner in, and give everyone else the night off, even the goalies. Gagner vs the Panthers.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836272 is a reply to message #836270 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Razaa wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 21:02

If we’re going down, I atleast want a silver lining and a reason to cheer for something. This is likely his last ride, and we are done. Atleast do it for Gags and the fans who have been with the team this whole dark ride.

Gagner will go out and give everything he has left, which is a hell of a lot more than the guys we’ve been suiting up.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 June 2024 22:12]

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836274 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Well, we made a game of it and we showed that we can get pucks past Bobrovsky if we keep coming.

They need to do more of the same next game, and hopefully get better than .800 goaltending in their own net.

It would be nice if we got a couple breaks on the PP too...we've been an inch off here, a half an inch off there.

At this point, the Oilers have no reason to leave anything in the tank. It's a huge long shot now, but we've seen a couple teams come back from 0-3 in the last few years, and it's been a long long time since 1942, so we're probably overdue for someone to pull the feat in the Finals again. Win Saturday. Then just keep going.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836276 is a reply to message #836243 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Unexpectedly, it is Edmonton’s big guns not getting it done in the finals.

No PP goals. No goals from Bouchard, Hyman, McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nuge. Nurse still looking pretty bad on goals against.

Depth scoring showed up today. Penalty kill has been quite good. Goaltending hasn’t been finals worthy.

All I can hope for is that these players have a miracle in them. If anybody can do it it’s them.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836277 is a reply to message #836276 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

I don't think that I can stomach another season if McLeod is on this team next year.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836278 is a reply to message #836277 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Come on, we know it sucks to get so close and yet so far. We were expecting a cup run back in September we were excited and one of the favourites to win it. Yeah we flunked the first bit of the season the change of coach and run back into contention was a thing of beauty.

Sure we aren't the most complete team, we have weak parts and they are being exposed right now, but it's been 18 years since we were last here, it won't be 18 years before we are back. This isn't over to the fat lady sings and hopefully that's not on Saturday, but we've got to back the team no matter what, looking through blue and orange glasses.

If anything right now they look out of gas, to get back into the play-off's was a huge effort and I'm guessing that they exhausted. Bob's got into the head that they can't score on him (though we did in this game), and they are not doing what they have to to score on him. I don't want to wait any longer than you lot do for another run at the cup, we've got a chance now, but if we learn from this we'll be in a better position to go for it. Let's keep the negaitves to the end of season reviews, and back the team with everything we've got till it's over.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836279 is a reply to message #836277 ]
Thu, 13 June 2024 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

lowebudget wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 22:51

I don't think that I can stomach another season if McLeod is on this team next year.

Honestly, I see him as one of the few guys on this team that can be expected to improve. Most of this team is known quantities and some with their games eroding, much of them underwhelming. Broberg and McLeod can take big steps still. Still unsure what to think about Holloway. McLeod has some skill and his speed can let him go anywhere. Just needs to add a little size and maturity.

Should stay reasonably priced too after the struggle he's had in the playoffs.

Need a goalie. Full revamp of our 2nd D pair. And at least 2 good top 6 wingers that can push 5v5.

Nurse and Kane cap hits ideally get off the books. And Campbell.

Tall order for the next GM if we want to make a real contender that can win divisions and can go on playoff runs with home ice advantage.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836280 is a reply to message #836279 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

If McLeod was a $900K cap hit and your 4th line center, then fine. He should be nowhere near the top 6. Good penalty killer. Very little offence, and soft as butter.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836283 is a reply to message #836279 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 13 June 2024 23:33

Honestly, I see him as one of the few guys on this team that can be expected to improve. Most of this team is known quantities and some with their games eroding, much of them underwhelming. Broberg and McLeod can take big steps still. Still unsure what to think about Holloway. McLeod has some skill and his speed can let him go anywhere. Just needs to add a little size and maturity.

Need a goalie. Full revamp of our 2nd D pair. And at least 2 good top 6 wingers that can push 5v5.

Tall order for the next GM if we want to make a real contender that can win divisions and can go on playoff runs with home ice advantage.

After watching these playoff is Kane really a player you want to subtract from the roster? I'd argue a healthy Kane would have been a massive swing in htis series. It's unbelievable that they/he let it get to the point where he was carrying a nagging injury in the playoffs but maybe (maybe?) they won't be that stupid again.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836290 is a reply to message #836283 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 04:26

After watching these playoff is Kane really a player you want to subtract from the roster? I'd argue a healthy Kane would have been a massive swing in htis series. It's unbelievable that they/he let it get to the point where he was carrying a nagging injury in the playoffs but maybe (maybe?) they won't be that stupid again.

He's not getting younger. 2nd year in a row he was a non-factor when we needed him. Pretty unhappy about how he and the team handled his injury too. Still no idea why he has to announce to the world he's had a hernia injury since the start of the season, maybe setting himself up for an excuse to play poorly and possibly bow out.

He will be 34 (25/26) before his next contract year where he may actually fully bring it for a season. Too long a wait for me, and he might be too old and busted by then to actually do it one more time like Kassian.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836292 is a reply to message #836290 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 09:08

He's not getting younger. 2nd year in a row he was a non-factor when we needed him. Pretty unhappy about how he and the team handled his injury too. Still no idea why he has to announce to the world he's had a hernia injury since the start of the season, maybe setting himself up for an excuse to play poorly and possibly bow out.

He will be 34 (25/26) before his next contract year where he may actually fully bring it for a season. Too long a wait for me, and he might be too old and busted by then to actually do it one more time like Kassian.

He's a good shooter and brings aggressiveness, unless he's hurt, when both those things fall off. He's poor defensively, and a really poor passer and he's awful at breakouts so if he's not able to bring those strengths, then he's a net negative player. He also pouts when playing down the lineup. I still really dislike him grouching about his role in the middle of a huge win streak for the team.

He's a big salary and that money could be spent better, and at this stage there is a possibility that someone steps to the plate and pays us an actual asset for him, rather than paying someone to take him away like we might need to do for some of our other contracts.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836293 is a reply to message #836290 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 12:08

You know who would have been awesome this year? The 2022 playoff version of Evander Kane. Man what a force he was that year. Almost scoring at will and hitting anything that moved. And hard. It was awesome to see.

If he really was injured all year and they didn’t just let him go get fixed up, it has to be considered a catastrophic blunder.

Get one of your only physically punishing guys healthy and ready to rock in the playoffs PLUS the LTIR space to add more firepower at the deadline, or just let him trudge through the regular season and playoffs as a shell of his former self?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836294 is a reply to message #836293 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 09:26

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 12:08

You know who would have been awesome this year? The 2022 playoff version of Evander Kane. Man what a force he was that year. Almost scoring at will and hitting anything that moved. And hard. It was awesome to see.

If he really was injured all year and they didn’t just let him go get fixed up, it has to be considered a catastrophic blunder.

Get one of your only physically punishing guys healthy and ready to rock in the playoffs PLUS the LTIR space to add more firepower at the deadline, or just let him trudge through the regular season and playoffs as a shell of his former self?

2022 Kane was a contract year Kane. Even before his injury the next year he was far less engaged.
This year was almost all butt dragging with an excuse at the end. An excuse that still makes no sense because we had all the time in the world to fix it. Some guys are just built that way, the full effort only comes when an extra benefit is within reach. Lots of people in life in general are like that. Work harder for the promotion, get it, back to slackin. He burned 2 other teams that gave him multi-year deals already. Kassian tricked our GMs twice by becoming a totally different player in contract years.

Think I'm done with this guy personally. Adam also points out an important point. He is a zero effort player in our zone. Florida is showing us right now how you can't bring along many, if any, players that only want to put effort in one zone if you want a good chance at the cup. We need way better complete players on the wings with McDavid and Drai.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2024 09:57]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836295 is a reply to message #836294 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

McDavid 0 goals
Draisatl 0 goals
Hyman 0 goals
Nuge 0 goals
Bouchard 0 goals
Kane 0 goals

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836296 is a reply to message #836295 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 10:20

McDavid 0 goals
Draisatl 0 goals
Hyman 0 goals
Nuge 0 goals
Bouchard 0 goals
Kane 0 goals

I don't want to go crazy with excuses but I will say that Florida is too good for the 1 man line deal. Our top 6 wingers are invisible. Florida's wingers are killing us. It's just too easy for a good team to defend when you only have 1 guy per line trying to do it all.

Hyman and Drai being shells of themselves have killed our powerplay. Likely both injured. There is no good movement on the PP anymore, Drai can barely hit the net with his favorite shot, and any time he connects it's slow and not accurate. Hyman is being pushed around, he hasn't been the same since taking many huge hits against the Canucks. As our only good winger 5v5, he was an obvious target.

Bouch is playing way too much and is almost solely being depended on for offense among the D. This is a harsh learning experience for him, and with no useful wingers in the top 6 and our top 2 C's being swarmed, his options are constantly limited, and Florida guys are always on top of him because they know how weak the rest of our D group is. Ekholm is looking injured too, so this top pair has been absolutely run through the ground, and it's out of necessity because Holland never fixed the 2nd pair.

Nuge, this is same Nuge as always. Needs the other 2 guys on his line to do 95% of the work 5v5. If other guys on the PP are struggling, he can't really make up for much there either. Nuge is not and has never been a driver.

Kane, he told us what to expect before the playoffs. Injured from the first month of the season with something that probably could have been fixed. Now he can't even play. What the heck he or anyone in this org was thinking in how this was handled, maybe we will never know.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836298 is a reply to message #836295 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

McDavid 0 goals
Draisatl 0 goals
Hyman 0 goals
Nuge 0 goals
Bouchard 0 goals
Kane 0 goals

Just like it was for New York, Just as it was for Boston, just as it was for Tampa. All superstars were silenced with Florida's tight checking and seamless switching from zone to man to man back to zone coverage. Solid goaltendign helped too.

It's been a ride, we may get one more after this but it's over man.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836299 is a reply to message #836298 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 11:31

McDavid 0 goals
Draisatl 0 goals
Hyman 0 goals
Nuge 0 goals
Bouchard 0 goals
Kane 0 goals

Just like it was for New York, Just as it was for Boston, just as it was for Tampa. All superstars were silenced with Florida's tight checking and seamless switching from zone to man to man back to zone coverage. Solid goaltendign helped too.

Wonder if Zito, while he was on Columbus's farm team in 2019, would have taken $25,000,000 to build a team around McDavid and Drai.

Sadly, he wasn't Bobby Nicks first call, and he also wouldn't have taught Bobby the amazing term for prospects being "overripe", when Bobby was calling friends in 2019 to learn what a GM and POHO are supposed to do in the NHL. Bobby said "overripe" in every 2nd sentence for the next month.

Kenny, when Bobby came calling, in a scramble trying to learn what an NHL front office is actually supposed to do

https://media2.giphy.com/media/GbPru204dTDfG/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ymr3j0mzonl3j0g2ybsh3vddn03qyf28dipo6hyj&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2024 11:47]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836303 is a reply to message #836299 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 11:39

McDavid 0 goals
Draisatl 0 goals
Hyman 0 goals
Nuge 0 goals
Bouchard 0 goals
Kane 0 goals

Wonder if Zito, while he was on Columbus's farm team in 2019, would have taken $25,000,000 to build a team around McDavid and Drai.

Sadly, he wasn't Bobby Nicks first call, and he also wouldn't have taught Bobby the amazing term for prospects being "overripe", when Bobby was calling friends in 2019 to learn what a GM and POHO are supposed to do in the NHL. Bobby said "overripe" in every 2nd sentence for the next month.

Kenny, when Bobby came calling, in a scramble trying to learn what an NHL front office is actually supposed to do

Zito was apparently on our interview list, although it's always been unclear whether any interviews actually happened, because as much as Nicholson talked up how important it was to finally interview for that role, they learned that the Legendary Ken Holland was available, and that ended the process.

Zito's built a much more complete team. Here's the forward scoring for the Panthers to this point:

Barkov 21
Tkachuk 20
Verhaeghe 18
Lundell 15
Reinhart 15
Bennett 13
Rodrigues 12
Luostarinen 8
Tarasenko 8
Lorentz 3
Koposo 2
Cousins 1
Stenlund 1
Lomberg 0

Compare that to the Oilers:

McDavid 34
Draisaitl 28
Nugent-Hopkins 20
Hyman 18
Kane 8
Henrique 5
Brown 4
Foegele 4
Holloway 4
Janmark 4
Mcleod 2
Carrick 1
Ryan 1
Perry 1

That middle tier is completely missing from the Oilers. The Panthers have 7 forwards with over 10 points compared to just 4 Oilers. Nine of their guys have more than our fifth highest scoring forward.

At some point, some team is going to slow down your top guys, at least for a bit. It's inevitable, especially in the NHL where they don't do anything to protect the star players, and the playoffs are open season for cheap shots. So you need other people to step up. You need the Fernando Pisanis. The 2006 team didn't have the high end firepower, but they had 8 guys score double digit points in that post season.

It's the depth that has let the team down. I feel like Zito would have done a lot better job taking care of that. Probably doesn't wait a full five years too...

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836311 is a reply to message #836303 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 13:59

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 11:39

McDavid 0 goals
Draisatl 0 goals
Hyman 0 goals
Nuge 0 goals
Bouchard 0 goals
Kane 0 goals

Zito was apparently on our interview list, although it's always been unclear whether any interviews actually happened, because as much as Nicholson talked up how important it was to finally interview for that role, they learned that the Legendary Ken Holland was available, and that ended the process.

Zito's built a much more complete team. Here's the forward scoring for the Panthers to this point:

Barkov 21
Tkachuk 20
Verhaeghe 18
Lundell 15
Reinhart 15
Bennett 13
Rodrigues 12
Luostarinen 8
Tarasenko 8
Lorentz 3
Koposo 2
Cousins 1
Stenlund 1
Lomberg 0

Compare that to the Oilers:

McDavid 34
Draisaitl 28
Nugent-Hopkins 20
Hyman 18
Kane 8
Henrique 5
Brown 4
Foegele 4
Holloway 4
Janmark 4
Mcleod 2
Carrick 1
Ryan 1
Perry 1

That middle tier is completely missing from the Oilers. The Panthers have 7 forwards with over 10 points compared to just 4 Oilers. Nine of their guys have more than our fifth highest scoring forward.

At some point, some team is going to slow down your top guys, at least for a bit. It's inevitable, especially in the NHL where they don't do anything to protect the star players, and the playoffs are open season for cheap shots. So you need other people to step up. You need the Fernando Pisanis. The 2006 team didn't have the high end firepower, but they had 8 guys score double digit points in that post season.

It's the depth that has let the team down. I feel like Zito would have done a lot better job taking care of that. Probably doesn't wait a full five years too...

Just looking at Zito's start in Florida. He got Montour and Bennett for a bag of blueberries. Nice moves to fix the D and add what ended up one of their best playoff wingers off the bat, identifying very useful players improperly used on trash teams. Also identified Verhaeghe as having potential and only costed 1M to get him while everyone else was napping. Tampa let Verhaeghe just go UFA instead of qualifying him.

We remain amazed that Holland was able to manage 1 good trade and UFA signing in 5 years.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2024 21:57]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836312 is a reply to message #836311 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 21:53

Just looking at Zito's start in Florida. He got Montour and Bennett for a bag of blueberries. Nice moves to fix the D and add what ended up one of their best playoff wingers off the bat, identifying very useful players improperly used on trash teams. Also identified Verhaeghe as having potential and only costed 1M to get him while everyone else was napping. Tampa let Verhaeghe just go UFA instead of qualifying him.

We remain amazed that Holland was able to manage 1 good trade and UFA signing in 5 years.

Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and a first round pick (31st overall - now Jiri Kulich).

Gustav Forsling off waivers.

Ekman-Larsson for cheap after his Vancouver buyout.

They have done well identifying undervalued talent and getting it in house for low acquisition costs and reasonable salaries. They're facing Reinhart leaving as UFA this year and haven't panicked about that - kept him rather than dealing him away. And they have $20MM cap space this summer to deal with some of those challenges and despite having two $10MM players plus another at $9.5MM.

I mean, I really like Hyman and Ekholm, but that shouldn't be considered enough for the guy making the most money of any GM. Other GMs have built better top-to-bottom teams with less advantages to start with.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #836313 is a reply to message #836312 ]
Fri, 14 June 2024 22:39 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 22:23

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 June 2024 21:53

Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and a first round pick (31st overall - now Jiri Kulich).

Gustav Forsling off waivers.

Ekman-Larsson for cheap after his Vancouver buyout.

They have done well identifying undervalued talent and getting it in house for low acquisition costs and reasonable salaries. They're facing Reinhart leaving as UFA this year and haven't panicked about that - kept him rather than dealing him away. And they have $20MM cap space this summer to deal with some of those challenges and despite having two $10MM players plus another at $9.5MM.

I mean, I really like Hyman and Ekholm, but that shouldn't be considered enough for the guy making the most money of any GM. Other GMs have built better top-to-bottom teams with less advantages to start with.

Hyman. Every year Holland is the high bidder on a hyped UFA. Same crap got us Campbell.

Ekholm. Follow the TSN trade target list, see the guys near the top. Whoever will take Barrie and a 1st, SOLD. Lucky Ek struggled all year with a young D and Nashville was being dumb cap dumping him after getting McDonagh.

Usually GM's only get 2 coaches. If we stuck with Woody, we would have been lucky to win a round this year. I do hope Katz has been seriously paying attention for once. Badly need a good GM hire. This is the actual last chance.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2024 22:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:What's The Story Behind Your Username
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca