This day on June 28
Acquired: Ladislav Benysek (1994) Jason Bonsignore (1994) Mike Watt (1994) Ryan Smyth (1994)

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Today in Oilers history
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Today in Oilers history [message #836045]
Tue, 11 June 2024 08:18 Go to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Look at the list of Acquired players: Coffey, Kurri, Moog. What a haul!

Coincidentally, this is also the list of jerseys I'm wearing (have worn) for Game 2 (Moog) Game 3 (Coffey) and Game 4 (Kurri). If it gets to Game 5, I'm wearing Gretzky to the game in Florida along with my son, who'll be sporing his McDavid. C'mon boys! Don't make all this trip planning result in us watching the Panthers Cup Parade.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Today in Oilers history [message #836075 is a reply to message #836045 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 14:26 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 08:18

Look at the list of Acquired players: Coffey, Kurri, Moog. What a haul!

Coincidentally, this is also the list of jerseys I'm wearing (have worn) for Game 2 (Moog) Game 3 (Coffey) and Game 4 (Kurri). If it gets to Game 5, I'm wearing Gretzky to the game in Florida along with my son, who'll be sporing his McDavid. C'mon boys! Don't make all this trip planning result in us watching the Panthers Cup Parade.

Barry Fraser had a heck of a run as a head scout there. As you point out, Coffey in the 1st round, Kurri in the 4th and Moog in the 7th is an incredible run. Two of those guys are hall of famers, and the third debatably should make it at some point. Moog is 20th all-time in Wins and the only goalies above him on the list not active or in the Hall is Vanbiesbrouck (who won two more games in 169 extra games played and who has that whole racist thing hanging over his head) and Osgood who probably should be there too based on his numbers and I'm sure would be if not for his reputation of the team winning despite him.

On winning percentage, Moog is 12th all-time ( https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=which+nhl+goalies+have+th e+best+winning+percentage+of+all-time I think the filter is at ~100 games). If you go goalies with 500 starts or more, the only ones above him are Roy, Brodeur, & Hasek.

But look at the 5th round pick that year too! Walt Poddubny only played four games for the Oilers before we traded him for Laurie Boschman, but he had a pretty good career. 468 NHL games and 422 points over that time.

Fraser had the Midas touch for those few years...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca