This day on July 2
Acquired: Steve MacIntyre (2010) Richard Petiot (2010)
Departed: Scott Fraser (1998) Brett Hauer (2001) Petr Sykora (2007) Curtis Glencross (2008) Chris Minard (2010)

Happy Birthday To: jrae, Oilman, HuMz, Oggie Oglethorpe, younggun1501, chipman

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #835852]
Sun, 09 June 2024 22:05 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

So this just happened.. only reason they would do it would be so the other teams can't use it.. turn it into a competitive advantage..
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/capitals-reach-agreemen t-to-purchase-capfriendly-website/

It was the best site t for the public to find out about teams and players transaction status

I curse the Capitals

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #835854 is a reply to message #835852 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Such a bs move. Have to think someone else will have something created similar or does Washington have something in place to stop that?

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #835855 is a reply to message #835854 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Always does. Nhl numbers -> capgeek -> general fanager -> capfriendly -> ???

Clean house or bust

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #835864 is a reply to message #835854 ]
Mon, 10 June 2024 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 23:01

Such a bs move. Have to think someone else will have something created similar or does Washington have something in place to stop that?

It is pretty bush league.

Really, the NHL should have bought this and just ran it themselves as part of the league website, except that they're the least fan-friendly league ever.

Hopefully the replacement jumps up fast, and it has similar tools like the buyout calculator built in.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #835865 is a reply to message #835852 ]
Mon, 10 June 2024 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 22:05

So this just happened.. only reason they would do it would be so the other teams can't use it.. turn it into a competitive advantage..
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/capitals-reach-agreemen t-to-purchase-capfriendly-website/

It was the best site t for the public to find out about teams and players transaction status

I curse the Capitals

Lol, what bastards.

I guess opens the opportunity for another math/website dev wizard to make a bundle of cash creating the next site that some other team will inevitably buy. Happy for the next guy in advance.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #835871 is a reply to message #835865 ]
Mon, 10 June 2024 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I think they just bought it for the name. Everybody knows DC is a friendly place!

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #835880 is a reply to message #835871 ]
Mon, 10 June 2024 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 10 June 2024 09:49

I think they just bought it for the name. Everybody knows DC is a friendly place!

Just like wuphf.com, right?

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #836084 is a reply to message #835865 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 10 June 2024 07:38

I curse the Capitals

Lol, what bastards.

I guess opens the opportunity for another math/website dev wizard to make a bundle of cash creating the next site that some other team will inevitably buy. Happy for the next guy in advance.

I don't know.. I think its not just the software, or search engine, that makes it valuable.. its the content.. that's a life time of data entry!.. especially the transaction histories.. I think a lot of the data can't be auto-downloaded to the program.. a lot of manual effort..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #836087 is a reply to message #836084 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some ridiculous stuff being reported by Elliotte Friedman on this. The NHL sees contract data as proprietary and they dislike that sites like this exist? They don't think fans want or need this information - even though it informs discussions on things like trades??? Apparently because of that, even if the Caps wanted it to remain live, the NHL would force them to close the site as soon as it has been purchased.

It seems so stupid from every angle. Just as when we lost the last three of these sites, someone is going to copy the general format and information and we'll have a new one up in a couple of weeks. So what's the point of paying to acquire what everyone is going to have access again to soon (although from Oil Change we know that certain teams like the Oilers do historically rely on the free websites for information, so if you took it down at the right time of the year, you might be able to trip up a couple of squads).

And for the fans, we lose a resource for a little while and have to find the new one and live with whatever bugs it has at the outset and the knowledge that in two years when it gets enough fame, some NHL team is going to buy it and start the process all over again.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #836090 is a reply to message #836087 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 16:31

Some ridiculous stuff being reported by Elliotte Friedman on this. The NHL sees contract data as proprietary and they dislike that sites like this exist? They don't think fans want or need this information - even though it informs discussions on things like trades??? Apparently because of that, even if the Caps wanted it to remain live, the NHL would force them to close the site as soon as it has been purchased.

It seems so stupid from every angle. Just as when we lost the last three of these sites, someone is going to copy the general format and information and we'll have a new one up in a couple of weeks. So what's the point of paying to acquire what everyone is going to have access again to soon (although from Oil Change we know that certain teams like the Oilers do historically rely on the free websites for information, so if you took it down at the right time of the year, you might be able to trip up a couple of squads).

And for the fans, we lose a resource for a little while and have to find the new one and live with whatever bugs it has at the outset and the knowledge that in two years when it gets enough fame, some NHL team is going to buy it and start the process all over again.

The NHL could possibly be able to close it down if its owned by the Caps now.. because they are a franchise bound by NHL governance.. but no way they could shut down a publicly owned website.. constitutional grounds.

Not just the Oilers would have used CP as a tool.. most NHL teams used it.. one of the reasons speculated why the Caps bought it.. create a team advantage.. if only temporary.. until teams got their own data built up.. its stupid.. the NHL should have bought it and posted it for the public.. like the NFL does with injuries.. especially if there is sports betting involved.. can't have this information kept hidden from the public.. it creates a betting advantage that isn't available to everyone.. creates all kinds of gambling law violations.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #836094 is a reply to message #836084 ]
Tue, 11 June 2024 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 17:08

I curse the Capitals

Lol, what bastards.

I don't know.. I think its not just the software, or search engine, that makes it valuable.. its the content.. that's a life time of data entry!.. especially the transaction histories.. I think a lot of the data can't be auto-downloaded to the program.. a lot of manual effort..

Definitely lots of info, but people could copy it all right now if they wanted to. There must be resources to tap into to get the same data.

Maybe others have other interpretations, but to me the value is how well presented all this info is, how quickly it updated, and how accurate it all stays. Someone else could do this. It's just that there was no need with how well established capfriendly is. Competition about to blow open, and clearly there is a huge financial incentive for someone to create another nice site. I don't think it will take too long for some decent alternatives to appear.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #836119 is a reply to message #836094 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 21:55

I curse the Capitals

Lol, what bastards.

Definitely lots of info, but people could copy it all right now if they wanted to. There must be resources to tap into to get the same data.

Maybe others have other interpretations, but to me the value is how well presented all this info is, how quickly it updated, and how accurate it all stays. Someone else could do this. It's just that there was no need with how well established capfriendly is. Competition about to blow open, and clearly there is a huge financial incentive for someone to create another nice site. I don't think it will take too long for some decent alternatives to appear.

And two years from now we're in exactly the same situation after the winning clone gets bought up again.

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #836120 is a reply to message #836119 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 June 2024 14:24

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 11 June 2024 21:55

I curse the Capitals

Lol, what bastards.

And two years from now we're in exactly the same situation after the winning clone gets bought up again.

Yup :) But I guess the potential of being bought is what will encourage people to make another great site. Let the cycle continue until we finally have a site with someone that doesn't care to sell out, or the league runs out of teams that care to buy.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Washington Capitals BUY CapFriendly Website [message #836137 is a reply to message #836120 ]
Wed, 12 June 2024 23:29 Go to previous message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 June 2024 13:26

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 June 2024 14:24

.. And two years from now we're in exactly the same situation after the winning clone gets bought up again.

Yup :) But I guess the potential of being bought is what will encourage people to make another great site. Let the cycle continue until we finally have a site with someone that doesn't care to sell out, or the league runs out of teams that care to buy.

Actually, you might even get a job out of it as well.. apparently Caps kept on 3 guys from CapFriendly to run it for them.. not a bad exchange.. get a dump truck full of cash.. plus a regular paycheque.. likely benefits as well.. icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:2024-2025 salary cap $88Mill
Next Topic:Andy Moog - HOF Case
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca