This day on July 5
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (2000) Allan Rourke (2007)
Departed: Georges Laraque (2006) Jaroslav Spacek (2006) Jan Hejda (2007)

Happy Birthday To: anm8r, shannon23, homeof99, DanW91

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835817]
Sat, 08 June 2024 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 82%
Florida to win: 18%
11 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835828 is a reply to message #835817 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

We will win game 2

We were the better team tonight

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835830 is a reply to message #835828 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Guess we’ll see what adjustments are made to the line-up for Game 2.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835831 is a reply to message #835828 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Sat, 08 June 2024 20:55

We will win game 2

We were the better team tonight

Keep Nurse and Ceci away from each other and play at that level, they will win the Cup.

That's as frustrating as any of the losses to Vegas last year

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835832 is a reply to message #835828 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b_1_b  is currently offline b_1_b

No Cups

Besides not “officially” scoring, typical NHL BS call, Codi Ceci needs to be eating popcorn! F’n brutal out there. No idea why Knob decided to play him, just for “feels”? He’s a tire fire every time.
How many interference calls were missed? I’m not surprised in the least that the refs “managed” the game, that’s the new NHL. So disgusted by the stripes and Knob’s lineup decisions.
SAD!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835833 is a reply to message #835817 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Was nice of Knob to give Florida a 2 goal handicap by uniting nurse and Ceci again. Now pull the rug out for game 2 putting kulak back on the second pair and blow everyone's mind?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835834 is a reply to message #835833 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Well, apart from 2 stupid goals we gave away (I know Ceci and Nurse are being blamed, but that first goal you could see it coming from the moment they got the puck in there end), the only thing between the two teams was Bobrovsky, we got to get past him early in game 2 and the series will be on.

A few minor tweaks and we'll be fine, no need to panic just yet.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835835 is a reply to message #835834 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Sit Ceci and McLeod. Play Desharnais and and Gagner.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Kulak
Broberg - Desharnais

EVERY single time Ceci had been on the ice since round 3, it’s been a fire drill. Nurse has looked like trash other than when paired with Kulak. Then he looked OK.

As for the game - that’s about as good as I can imagine feeling after a loss. Other than in goal, we were the better team by miles. Swap goalies and that’s at least 7-1 for us.

I understand score effects, but we controlled start to finish. Just need to find a way to break Bobrovsky.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835836 is a reply to message #835835 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 08 June 2024 22:00

Sit Ceci and McLeod. Play Desharnais and and Gagner.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Kulak
Broberg - Desharnais

EVERY single time Ceci had been on the ice since round 3, it’s been a fire drill. Nurse has looked like trash other than when paired with Kulak. Then he looked OK.

As for the game - that’s about as good as I can imagine feeling after a loss. Other than in goal, we were the better team by miles. Swap goalies and that’s at least 7-1 for us.

I understand score effects, but we controlled start to finish. Just need to find a way to break Bobrovsky.

Ceci was decent with broberg though. Nurse letting kulak make plays with the puck and cover for him defensively worked as well as any other D could. And broberg was complimenting Ceci well playing basically like Kulak.

It makes no sense how this change that basically saved our last series was discarded.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835837 is a reply to message #835836 ]
Sat, 08 June 2024 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Just watched the first goal back, and also running the game over since the buzzer. Hyman stopped skating once he got to our blue line and left Verhaeghe to go in free, that's after firing straight at Bobrovsky in the first minute. He has to do better in both situations, the shot anywhere other than at the netminder please, but he's got to give 110% skating back in the SCF. Could he have made a difference on the play? I don't know but to stop skating was a stupid thing to do.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835842 is a reply to message #835837 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Yeah, this was not a great night for a number of Oilers. Hyman was fine on the attack... needs to bear down on his chances, but defensively he was awful on the backcheck for that first goal against.

You're either committed to winning and playing a full game, or you get lazy and they'll score on you instead. Hyman will need a better effort moving forward, but he wasn't the onlu culprit.

Nurse, Ceci, McLeod, Foegele, Kane, Hyman, Drai, and Stu all have it in them to be much better. I'd say Perry as well, but I think we're seeing the end of the road for the guy. He just doesn't have the pace anymore to keep up.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 June 2024 10:08]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835840 is a reply to message #835817 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

It's disheartening that The Panthers played their worst game of the playoffs and won 3-0.
https://i.postimg.cc/8PGr2WY9/tumblr-inline-mig2doby5-Q1qz4rgp540.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835841 is a reply to message #835840 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Totally agree. That didn't look like the Panthers squad that was running over teams in the first three series. They looked like they were pacing themselves... seemed really relaxed.

If they turn on the jets in the second game, this could be a huge missed opportunity. We had a tonne of chances and one of the most prolific offenses ever was completely shut down by their goalie.

Ugh.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835843 is a reply to message #835841 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I feel like I've seen this exact same sequence for a goal against 2 dozen times in the last year. Maybe 2 dozen is actually a low count.

Travis Dakin @TravisDakin
Watch how many times teams exploit that pairing. It's a set play. Dump it into Ceci's corner and watch Nurse mentally malfunction. Avs did it. Vegas did it. They aren't learning. Go back to the pairings from game 4, 5 and 6. It's ok to admit you f'd up.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPmyMrhW4AAap3n?format=jpg&name=small

I think it's very clear that Ceci is targetted. He lost a crazy amount of puck battles last night on the boards, maybe 90%+ of them. Many just totally clean letting Florida guys just take it and pass directly to a teammate.

Nurse, you just need to get him puck watching, and he can turn into a floating pylon. Not even a real pylon on the ice that can block a pass, a floating one that you can just pass right through if you choose.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835847 is a reply to message #835843 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 09:25

I feel like I've seen this exact same sequence for a goal against 2 dozen times in the last year. Maybe 2 dozen is actually a low count.

Watch how many times teams exploit that pairing. It's a set play. Dump it into Ceci's corner and watch Nurse mentally malfunction. Avs did it. Vegas did it. They aren't learning. Go back to the pairings from game 4, 5 and 6. It's ok to admit you f'd up.

I think it's very clear that Ceci is targetted. He lost a crazy amount of puck battles last night on the boards, maybe 90%+ of them. Many just totally clean letting Florida guys just take it and pass directly to a teammate.

Nurse, you just need to get him puck watching, and he can turn into a floating pylon. Not even a real pylon on the ice that can block a pass, a floating one that you can just pass right through if you choose.

🎯

It was like dejavu.. .. Nurse facing guy behind the net.. puck goes through him.. to the wide open man in front of the net.

You used the term "floating" pylon, but I think its more like porous pylon.. so many pucks in general seem to get past/through him.. rarely stopping 2 on 1 cross passes, or break up a play with a stick/body check .. lots of porosity.

For comparison, a guy like Ekholm always seems to either get his body and/or stick in to break up a play or cycle.. he just consistently erases chances against.. Bouchard has acquired some of that ability now as well.

A good example of porosity was on the 1st goal.. a 3 on 2 .. Nurse doesn't break up the 1st cross pass to the 2nd guy.. and then Ceci fails to stop the 2nd cross pass to the 3rd guy.. shot.. net.. goal.

Then on the 2nd goal, Nurse first fails to recognize the open man behind him in the slot.. then fails to stop the puck going through/past him .. the whole play was almost like he wasn't there.

Also of note in that photo you posted.. McLeod in classic mid fly-by mode.. McLeod was the 1st forward back into the D-zone.. and contributed zero help.. it was effectively a 3 on 1 situation.. and no one manages to make a play..

I think Dakin is right, the other teams have been scouting the Oiler weak links.. one of which is the Nurse-Ceci pairing; dump it in Ceci's corner, he doesn't have great mobility, and a good chance you can turnover the puck on a forecheck.. and then just utilize analytics.. the high probability of some Nurse chaos enabling a grade A chance.

Hopefully Oilers figure out some effective counter measures.

On a positive note.. icon_smile
Broberg is looking like our 3rd, or even 2nd best, puck moving defenseman.. the guy gets the puck out of trouble.. and he makes plays.. icon_nod

He and Kulak were effective.. they might be our 2nd D pair now.. Nurse-Ceci the 3rd pair

[Updated on: Sun, 09 June 2024 19:12]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835848 is a reply to message #835847 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 18:58

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 09:25

🎯

It was like dejavu.. .. Nurse facing guy behind the net.. puck goes through him.. to the wide open man in front of the net.

You used the term "floating" pylon, but I think its more like porous pylon.. so many pucks in general seem to get past/through him.. rarely stopping 2 on 1 cross passes, or break up a play with a stick/body check .. lots of porosity.

For comparison, a guy like Ekholm always seems to either get his body and/or stick in to break up a play or cycle.. he just consistently erases chances against.. Bouchard has acquired some of that ability now as well.

A good example of porosity was on the 1st goal.. a 3 on 2 .. Nurse doesn't break up the 1st cross pass to the 2nd guy.. and then Ceci fails to stop the 2nd cross pass to the 3rd guy.. shot.. net.. goal.

Then on the 2nd goal, Nurse first fails to recognize the open man behind him in the slot.. then fails to stop the puck going through/past him .. the whole play was almost like he wasn't there.

Also of note in that photo you posted.. McLeod in classic mid fly-by mode.. McLeod was the 1st forward back into the D-zone.. and contributed zero help.. it was effectively a 3 on 1 situation.. and no one manages to make a play..

I think Dakin is right, the other teams have been scouting the Oiler weak links.. one of which is the Nurse-Ceci pairing; dump it in Ceci's corner, he doesn't have great mobility, and a good chance you can turnover the puck on a forecheck.. and then just utilize analytics.. the high probability of some Nurse chaos enabling a grade A chance.

Broberg is looking like our 3rd, or even 2nd best, puck moving defenseman.. the guy gets the puck out of trouble.. and he makes plays.. icon_nod

He and Kulak were effective.. they might be our 2nd D pair now.. Nurse-Ceci the 3rd pair

I'm not sure if you can get away with a pair as bad as Nurse/Ceci at this point anymore. I think Kulak and Broberg both need to carry a pair to try to mitigate the damage.

It's nuts we went away from the D pairs that won 3 straight vs Dallas.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835849 is a reply to message #835848 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 18:41

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 18:58

🎯

I'm not sure if you can get away with a pair as bad as Nurse/Ceci at this point anymore. I think Kulak and Broberg both need to carry a pair to try to mitigate the damage.

It's nuts we went away from the D pairs that won 3 straight vs Dallas.

I think the coaching staff have realized this.. Nurse had the least amount of ice time among the 6 D-men last game.. Nurse with 16.. had Kulak 17.. Broberg 18 .. Bouchard 27 ..

Staples with a good article talking about the Oiler D..
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /nurse-and-ceci-on-hot-seat-edmonton-oilers-coach-open-to-ex perimenting-for-game-2

2024 PLAYOFFS
https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/edmontonjournal/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Screen-Shot-2024-06-09-at-11.50.18-AM.png

This is an interesting analysis by Bieksa of last game's goals against (from the article)..
Quote:

“You got to feel good if you’re an Oilers fan because they played some pretty good hockey, but I think these goals in particular are just bad reads and bad mistakes. It’s something you can clean up for sure by watching video. (On the first goal against) Ceci and Nurse have to identify this is straight 3-on-2 quick strike. So what they have to do is hold the middle and not allow themselves to get 2-on-1. When Nurse goes here (towards the boards and puck carrier) he gets 2-on-1 and when Ceci goes (towards puck carrier) he gets 2-on-1. And it’s great passing by Florida and it’s in the back of the net and Skinner can’t really save that. That’s all because they open themselves up. They got. to buy time.

(On the second goal against) The coverage is good, the positioning is good here but just having your stick on the ice (which Nurse failed to do) is a key detail. I know you don’t think the pass is coming, and it’s kind of not really your guy, but just having sticks on the ice in the d-zone, those are two easy things to clean up if you’re the Oilers.

The comments that caught my eye are the failures to carry out basic NHL defence .. 1) eliminate the potential of turning a 3 on 2 into a sequence of 2 on 1's and a goal.. 2) Nurse not having his stick on the ice.. the guy is 29 you'd expect he had the basics hardwired by now.. which is the most frustrating part.

I'd say drop in Desharnais (if he's actually healthy) for Ceci.. but I'm not sure he's a better option with Nurse .. best LHD that can play RHD effectively is Kulak.. Broberg is playing great.. but you don't want him playing RHD so you either put Kulak and Broberg together.. or Ceci and Broberg.. so its Kulak-Broberg.. Nurse seems to be the conundrum .. he can't play RHD.. and your only option for RHD with him is either Ceci or Desharnais .. name your poison.. 😬

[Updated on: Sun, 09 June 2024 21:18]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835850 is a reply to message #835849 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 20:57

I think the coaching staff have realized this.. Nurse had the least amount of ice time among the 6 D-men last game.. Nurse with 16.. had Kulak 17.. Broberg 18 .. Bouchard 27 ..

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /nurse-and-ceci-on-hot-seat-edmonton-oilers-coach-open-to-ex perimenting-for-game-2

2024 PLAYOFFS
https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/edmontonjournal/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Screen-Shot-2024-06-09-at-11.50.18-AM.png

This is an interesting analysis by Bieksa of last game's goals against (from the article)..
Quote:

“You got to feel good if you’re an Oilers fan because they played some pretty good hockey, but I think these goals in particular are just bad reads and bad mistakes. It’s something you can clean up for sure by watching video. (On the first goal against) Ceci and Nurse have to identify this is straight 3-on-2 quick strike. So what they have to do is hold the middle and not allow themselves to get 2-on-1. When Nurse goes here (towards the boards and puck carrier) he gets 2-on-1 and when Ceci goes (towards puck carrier) he gets 2-on-1. And it’s great passing by Florida and it’s in the back of the net and Skinner can’t really save that. That’s all because they open themselves up. They got. to buy time. (On the second goal against) The coverage is good, the positioning is good here but just having your stick on the ice (which Nurse failed to do) is a key detail. I know you don’t think the pass is coming, and it’s kind of not really your guy, but just having sticks on the ice in the d-zone, those are two easy things to clean up if you’re the Oilers.

The comments that caught my eye are the failures to carry out basic NHL defence .. 1) eliminate the potential of turning a 3 on 2 into a sequence of 2 on 1's and a goal.. 2) Nurse not having his stick on the ice.. the guy is 29 you'd expect he had this basic stuff hardwired by now.. which is the most frustrating part.

I'd say drop in Desharnais (if he's actually healthy) for Ceci.. but I'm not sure he's a better option with Nurse .. best LHD that can play RHD effectively is Kulak.. Broberg is playing great.. but you don't want him playing RHD so you either put Kulak and Broberg together.. or Ceci and Broberg.. so its Kulak-Broberg.. Nurse seems to be the conundrum .. he can't play RHD.. and your only option for RHD with him is either Ceci or Desharnais .. name your poison.. 😬

Those stats defintely match the eye test.

It's a big challenge figuring this D group out. I honestly think Knob found the ideal setup for what he has. Nurse/Kulak and Broberg/Ceci. Ceci was fine with Broberg as a 3rd pair. Lesser comp, and Broberg was going a lot of the skating and passing for the pair. Worked fine. Nurse/Kulak against tougher comp was more challenging, but there is no better partner for Nurse right now. Unless you want to try Broberg on the right, but that seems like a massive risk. Kulak can read plays way better than Ceci, he can skate much better to close gaps. He is way better with his stick, and far better at passing. Nurse needs a partner that can carry a lot of the load. You are just multiplying ineptness when you put Nurse and Ceci together, 2 players that need their partner to do loads of work for them.

Hope Knob realizes he made a big error. Not that much harm done in the end, we weren't winning that game without scoring. If we do get the ability to aim a shot back next game though, we do not want to be spotting 2 goals to Florida by icing bad D pairs again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835851 is a reply to message #835850 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 20:07

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 June 2024 20:57

Those stats definitely match the eye test.

It's a big challenge figuring this D group out. I honestly think Knob found the ideal setup for what he has. Nurse/Kulak and Broberg/Ceci. Ceci was fine with Broberg as a 3rd pair. Lesser comp, and Broberg was going a lot of the skating and passing for the pair. Worked fine. Nurse/Kulak against tougher comp was more challenging, but there is no better partner for Nurse right now. Unless you want to try Broberg on the right, but that seems like a massive risk. Kulak can read plays way better than Ceci, he can skate much better to close gaps. He is way better with his stick, and far better at passing. Nurse needs a partner that can carry a lot of the load. You are just multiplying ineptness when you put Nurse and Ceci together, 2 players that need their partner to do loads of work for them.

Hope Knob realizes he made a big error. Not that much harm done in the end, we weren't winning that game without scoring. If we do get the ability to aim a shot back next game though, we do not want to be spotting 2 goals to Florida by icing bad D pairs again.

Could be right.. IMO you get a better D-pair with Kulak-Broberg than either Kulak-Nurse, or Ceci-Broberg.. .. but Ceci and Nurse together might just tend to make each other worse .. like a multiplier effect.. chaos x chaos

Kulak-Nurse + Ceci-Broberg could give up fewer chances (overall) than the pairings of Kulak-Broberg + Ceci-Nurse ..

or .. alternately you could just increase the ice time for Kulak-Broberg.. and turn Ceci-Nurse into the 6-7 D-pair by ice time.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1) [message #835857 is a reply to message #835817 ]
Sun, 09 June 2024 23:27 Go to previous message

4 Cups

Here's some more stats on Nurse Ceci for the 2024 playoffs..

Doesn't look like its all Ceci's fault..

Nurse looks like he has the same GF/GA ratio without Ceci.. and Ceci is relatively decent without Nurse..

Looks like the question is how do you arrange D pairs so that the Nurse pairing improves its goals against?

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/edmontonjournal/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/dmen-pairings.png

[Updated on: Sun, 09 June 2024 23:33]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca