This day on June 22
Acquired: David Oliver (1991) Martin Rucinsky (1991) Tyler Wright (1991) Boyd Devereaux (1996) Chris Hajt (1996) Fernando Pisani (1996) Tom Poti (1996) Matt Greene (2002) Jarret Stoll (2002) Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (2002) Kyle Brodziak (2003) Mathieu Roy (2003) Troy Bodie (2003) David Rohlfs (2003) Josef Hrabal (2003) Sam Gagner (2007) Alex Plante (2007) Riley Nash (2007)
Departed: Tyler Wright (1996) Jochen Hecht (2002)

Happy Birthday To: alleykatt, XCubedAttire, jermacg, ztacy, Jarvis Eastman, dogrocks44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835421]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: Leia for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win: 79%
Dallas to win: 21%
14 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835424 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

FINISH IT AT HOME!!!!!!

[Updated on: Fri, 31 May 2024 21:10]

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835425 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/MA_Route_5.svg/480px-MA_Route_5.svg.png

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835426 is a reply to message #835425 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

What a win

Unreal!!! Skinner was awesome too

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835442 is a reply to message #835425 ]
Sat, 01 June 2024 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 31 May 2024 21:04

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/MA_Route_5.svg/480px-MA_Route_5.svg.png

That number is starting to look really small.. If they close this out I think worse case they have a legit chance to keep 29/97. Best case.. Well that's obvious.

Skinner was fantastic last night.

Finish it at home!

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835427 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Confidence building. Time to end it on Sunday

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835428 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

https://i.postimg.cc/9MtgmnXr/giphy-17.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835429 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Despite some defensive breakdowns to start the game and towards the end of the 2nd period...which resulted in a holding penalty stemming from an inability to get an easy clear, the Oil really seized the moment.

-Great to see Stu with a solid game where his defence let him down at times

-Great to see the Oilers break the PP drought with not just one but two on the man advantage.

-Strong blocks by Nurse end of the game.

-Can't believe #91 beat an experienced FO man in Pavelski which lead to a goal from the Bro-monster

The puck possession game from Dallas was probably at it's best on their own home ice this series so it's critical to close out in Game 6!

[Updated on: Fri, 31 May 2024 21:18]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835431 is a reply to message #835429 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Though we backed off in the 3rd, that was very much a big boy win. Nothing stupid, did what they had to do and for the main kept Dallas at bay. One or two of the shots they had were too close for comfort, but Stu stopped them.

Back home to take the series...

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835430 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Unbelievable!

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835432 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SYSoi.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835434 is a reply to message #835432 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

I've said it a few times this season, but it bears repeating: When we play the way we are capable of playing there are VERY few teams that can hang with us. I don't think that Dallas is one of those teams.

Play this way next game, with the home crowd behind us? No way Dallas can compete.

Fantastic game & deserved the win.

Let's finish this series off Sunday night. Play La Bamba baby!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835433 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Great game by almost everyone. Dallas got some great chances when they started to get desperate but Skinner with huge saves.

Bouch 25 points is crazy. 4 more than Pronger had for us back in 2006.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835436 is a reply to message #835433 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Vinny might not get back into the lineup until sometime after Ceci or Kulak are traded. icon_neutral

Imagine a D with Broberg AND Vinny... the future is bright. god

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835437 is a reply to message #835436 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

As soon as the 3rd period clock hit 0:00.00 I got hit by a wave of nerves. Oh wait this could be real.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835435 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Broberg.. oh man.. that guy is STEADY ! .. great game.. great revelation.. looks like our 3rd best D-man out there.. the benefit of mobility in the NHL..

and Perry.. took a huge lick.. and came back to be a factor.. the will to compete off-chart.. smart smart player..

Skinner made some really tough stops..

and... Nuge was awesome.. icon_nod

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SYS1Q.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835439 is a reply to message #835435 ]
Sat, 01 June 2024 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 31 May 2024 22:02

Broberg.. oh man.. that guy is STEADY ! .. great game.. great revelation.. looks like our 3rd best D-man out there.. the benefit of mobility in the NHL..

and Perry.. took a huge lick.. and came back to be a factor.. the will to compete off-chart.. smart smart player..

Skinner made some really tough stops..

and... Nuge was awesome.. icon_nod

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SYS1Q.gif

I know it's only 2 games in the playoffs BUT they are 2 games in the Western Conference finals! I think we are starting to see what the Oilers saw/hoped Broberg could become when they drafted him. Didn't play much in the NHL all year. Got called up in the playoffs and didn't play a single game in over a month. Comes in for kind of a must win game at home and is rock solid. Last night. A few early bobbles - he's young, it's the Western Freaking Conference finals - Coffey talks to him, he settles down. Rock solid, scores a freaking GOAL! He's big, skates like the wind, moves the puck really well, poised, calm, assertive, looks to know how to defend. Here is your home grown future replacement for Ekhlom when he ages out.

It's taken maybe a touch longer than they would have liked. Dmen at times do take longer than forwards especially wingers. I said it when he was drafted. If he pans out, I will take a big, minute munching, good defending, puck moving, good skating, control the game from the back end top 4 dman over a forward who can do the Michigan sometimes. Broberg looks impressive!

For the rest, that might be the best game I have seen the Oilers play from top to bottom in a long time.
- Away game against a good team, 10 shots given up through 40, 20 total through 60. The Oilers outshot Dallas every period including the 3rd when Dallas was down 3 and had no choice but to throw everything they had.
- The Oilers didn't give up a ton but it's physically impossible to not give up some good scoring chances to a very good team. When they did, Skinner was there and when the Oilers did give up a chance, it was 1. It wasn't multiple in a row. You get your shot and the rebound was gone.
- I would call that an extremely mature game from every line. They didn't force things. They didn't try plays that weren't there. They showed it on the broadcast a few times of how multiple Oilers forwards chose to do the right thing vs force things. 1 on 3 or 4 Stars, Oilers changing, rather than try a risky play that in the past got turned over, dump it in deep, force the goalie to freeze it.
- Every guy on the ice was doing their job. No cheating for offence, all guys defending, all guys trying to block shots. Great team game.
- Finding different ways to win. For the first 4 games, it's been 5 on 5. Last night it was the PP turning it on. Plus the PP ADAPTS! The second goal. Every team does the same thing. They bring the puck out slowly, a player drops back to get speed, puck gets dropped back to him, they try to enter the zone. With McD, the Oilers are probably the best at that play. So you could see the Stars getting ready for it and Bouch instead fires a 104 ft pass to Leon. catches the Stars and it's a 3 on 1 and Nuge rips it.
- Different guys are scoring every game! Different big names are scoring, different depth guys are scoring. Scoring from the defence.

Very, very impressive win for me. I am beyond excited for game 6. This series has been close most games and they have given themselves 2 games to win 1 game. But going home, with the energy of the crowd fuelling them, I expect McD and Leon to absolutely dominate the game. After the Vegas series, in the presser after they lost, McD looked like he witnessed his dog getting run over, Leon was almost crying. This is the chance to go to the Stanley Cup finals. What they have both wanted SOOOO badly. I think their team is better than the Stars. It's a team that is really good, it's not just those 2 and nothing. But I expect those two to play balls out because they will want it soooo badly. You can't win a series with just 2 guys dominating but you sure can win just 1 game. I expect them to basically win the game by themselves because what they have wanted so badly for years is right there for the taking.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835438 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Fri, 31 May 2024 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

4th win is the hardest one to get. But the boys can do it

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835440 is a reply to message #835438 ]
Sat, 01 June 2024 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Yep, The Stars are loaded with talent and Skinner can regress... the series is far from over so let's not get to full of ourselves.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835444 is a reply to message #835438 ]
Sat, 01 June 2024 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

TNT panel last night, Jon Cooper as a guest said that this will be an easier game for Dallas because they just have to get on the plane and focus on the game Sunday. The Oilers come home, have to deal with family looking for tickets, etc. and all the pressure, and that's why he thinks Dallas will come out strong. Said the same goes for NYR tonight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835445 is a reply to message #835444 ]
Sat, 01 June 2024 18:18 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Sat, 01 June 2024 16:31

TNT panel last night, Jon Cooper as a guest said that this will be an easier game for Dallas because they just have to get on the plane and focus on the game Sunday. The Oilers come home, have to deal with family looking for tickets, etc. and all the pressure, and that's why he thinks Dallas will come out strong. Said the same goes for NYR tonight.

Considering knowing game 6 would happen 4 days ago, I sure would hope players, with lots of help from our org, figured that all out a while ago already.

Cooper is a big believer in off ice family/friends distractions being a major factor in games?

[Updated on: Sat, 01 June 2024 18:20]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5) [message #835441 is a reply to message #835421 ]
Sat, 01 June 2024 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Okay, important discussion before Game 6. What is the hex name for Oettinger? At Game 4, it seemed some were trying to say "OTT-ER!" and others "OTT-(in)GER". I think that's missing the easier "JA-COB" which would seem a little more derisive too...Personally, I'd love a deeper cut, like just yelling "TUR-CO" at him all night.

It would be good if there was some consistency though. We really struggle with three-syllable goalies.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Previous Topic:Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca