This day on June 22
Acquired: David Oliver (1991) Martin Rucinsky (1991) Tyler Wright (1991) Boyd Devereaux (1996) Chris Hajt (1996) Fernando Pisani (1996) Tom Poti (1996) Matt Greene (2002) Jarret Stoll (2002) Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (2002) Kyle Brodziak (2003) Mathieu Roy (2003) Troy Bodie (2003) David Rohlfs (2003) Josef Hrabal (2003) Sam Gagner (2007) Alex Plante (2007) Riley Nash (2007)
Departed: Tyler Wright (1996) Jochen Hecht (2002)

Happy Birthday To: alleykatt, XCubedAttire, jermacg, ztacy, Jarvis Eastman, dogrocks44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835085]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   85%
Dallas to win:   15%
13 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835094 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Skinner needed saves on first goal and fourth. Back breaker

Put Pickard in

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835096 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Same weak links as last playoffs just all appear at once again

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835099 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The goals we allowed tonight were just stupidly easy for Dallas to score. While we have to grind for every single inch in the Dallas end, we will just part the sea for Dallas with total garbage plays.

Same.old Oilers tonight.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835101 is a reply to message #835099 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 00:13

The goals we allowed tonight were just stupidly easy for Dallas to score. While we have to grind for every single inch in the Dallas end, we will just part the sea for Dallas with total garbage plays.

Same.old Oilers tonight.

Mostly agree, but Stu gifted them that GWG. No way in hell should that "shot" go in at this level, never mind at this crucial point of the season.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835102 is a reply to message #835099 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 20:13

Same.old Oilers tonight.

I counted at least 3 times that a Dallas forward got totally in behind the Oiler defense.. whether the center is supposed to cover for a pinching D.. or the high D didn't realize he was last guy back.. who ever it was to blame.. it is amateurish.. happen once its a mistake.. happens 3 times in a 3rd round playoff game .. and it's a feature..

The dumb play by Desharnais trying to clear a puck along the boards at a streaking Stankoven.. hits him.. and then doesn't get at least get a part of his 6'-9" body in front of him and slow him down.. that goal was on him.. un-smart.

.. then there is our starting goalie gifting the winning goal.. just a total spaz out.. had no idea what he was doing against the post.. playing goalie jazz.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 22:06]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835114 is a reply to message #835102 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 21:22

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 20:13

Same.old Oilers tonight.

I counted at least 3 times that a Dallas forward got totally in behind the Oiler defense.. whether the center is supposed to cover for a pinching D.. or the high D didn't realize he was last guy back.. who ever it was to blame.. it is amateurish.. happen once its a mistake.. happens 3 times in a 3rd round playoff game .. and it's a feature..

The dumb play by Desharnais trying to clear a puck along the boards at a streaking Stankoven.. hits him.. and then doesn't get at least get a part of his 6'-9" body in front of him and slow him down.. that goal was on him.. un-smart.

.. then there is our starting goalie gifting the winning goal.. just a total spaz out.. had no idea what he was doing against the post.. playing goalie jazz.

I think Dallas has picked up on how some guys consistently panic with the puck. They are going full speed into areas we want to clear through, pretty fearlessly and confident they have a good shot to pick up the puck. It's getting harder and harder for some of our players to make a proper play to clear our zone.

They also consistently have a guy cheating in the neutral zone trying to get open for a pass the second they look like they might get control of the puck when we attack. Even with that though, we rarely get a odd man situation in our favor. Our game plan is getting beaten up quite a bit now, aside from 1st periods for whatever reason.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 23:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835100 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Edmonton reminds me of a UFC heavyweight KO artist...they come out of the gate at an insane pace, but it's generally unsustainable for a full game.

If you can survive the early onslaught they almost always significantly slow down and have nothing else to offer.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835103 is a reply to message #835100 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I 100% would start Pickard for game 4, and again until he gives me reason not to.

But more importantly - Ceci needs to sit. My god has he been brutal. Almost every shift resulted in sustained offensive zone time for Dallas and multiple high danger chances. Looks like a total spaz out there.

The team that showed up in the 1st? That’s a Cup winner there. The 2nd? That’s decade of darkness level stuff.

I’m so disappointed with this game

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835104 is a reply to message #835103 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 04:22

I 100% would start Pickard for game 4, and again until he gives me reason not to.

But more importantly - Ceci needs to sit. My god has he been brutal. Almost every shift resulted in sustained offensive zone time for Dallas and multiple high danger chances. Looks like a total spaz out there.

The team that showed up in the 1st? That’s a Cup winner there. The 2nd? That’s decade of darkness level stuff.

Well said

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835105 is a reply to message #835103 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 20:22

I noticed Oilers always have a bad 2nd period .. I blame it on the long change and lazy shift changes.. the guy coming off should be freaking sprinting..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835131 is a reply to message #835105 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 20:25

I noticed Oilers always have a bad 2nd period .. I blame it on the long change and lazy shift changes.. the guy coming off should be freaking sprinting..

You'd think after 20+ years playing hockey they'd know?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835134 is a reply to message #835131 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 14:57

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 20:25

You'd think after 20+ years playing hockey they'd know?

Yeah I know.. most guys go hard to the bench even in beer league..

.. the classic is watching the puck get passed up ice to a wide open opposition player at the Oiler blueline.. and at the top corner of your TV you see the Oiler D pair coming down onto screen ..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835115 is a reply to message #835103 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 21:22

Legitimately elite goalies are such a pain. Imagine having to play Shesterkin after Oettinger. I guess no one would actually complain much about the Oilers able to do that of course :)

Such a difference in talent between these goalies. Stu has some major technique flaws still. Oetinger always seems to be in the absolute optimal position on every shot to give himself a chance to close the door.

Maybe we need a 4th goalie coach in the room along with Scwartz, Legace and Skinner's coach to really put this goalie tandem over the top.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 23:48]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835106 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

what a weak way to lose a game..

1/3 of this team showing they don't deserve to win a SC.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835107 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Right now, we don't look deep enough. There's two pairings and two and a half forward lines where the most you're hoping is that they don't cost you. That's not good enough.

I'm not sure why we haven't seen Broberg or Stecher yet. Desharnais and Ceci are both weak links on the right side, and it takes its toll on Nurse who tries to do too much too much of the time.

The third and fourth line are just killing time most of the time when they're on the ice. They don't get a lot of shots, and they get even fewer chances. They can't simply be a placeholder to give McDavid a rest. And I think too much dies on the stick of Evander Kane. Either he rushes plays, or he makes blind passes to no one or he loses puck battles too much of the time. It takes away some of our effectiveness when you have a top-6 winger who constantly is gifting the puck away.

Also only 3 shots from the defence tonight. That's in part because Dallas blocks so goddamn much, but even so.

Game 4 looms huge. The team can't get down. It's just one game and we've been behind before. But we need a great effort on Wednesday. That Dallas team is really really good and it's going to take all hands on deck to beat them. This isn't simply can't just be a leave-it-to-Connor series.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835108 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Opponents should fear entering the corner with Nurse.

What the hell happened to this guy? I mean we already know his defensive acumen when making decisions is quite remedial, but he can’t even piss a drop offensively either. Now he’s just Mr Swishy stick in the corners?

Including tonight, Nurse has been on the ice for 18 5v5 goals against this playoffs.
The next closest defenceman in the league has been on for 12.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 21:56]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835109 is a reply to message #835108 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 20:52

What the hell happened to this guy? I mean we already know his defensive acumen when making decisions is quite remedial, but he can’t even piss a drop offensively either. Now he’s just Mr Swishy stick in the corners?

You're right he can't even move people.. Bouchard (he's progressed substantially) is doing a better defensive job that Nurse now.. no offense, weak defense.. bad pinches, badly timed penalties.. starting to really wonder what his strong suit is..

Desharnais, Ceci, Nurse can play well for short periods and then will switch to "spaz mode" for entire periods.. turns into extended periods of TSN turning points.. screws up the forwards as well because they can't depend on a clean and simple break out.

Stecher at least can skate and move the puck.. rarely out of position.. I'd say Broberg could better contribute too but we haven't seen him in the NHL for a few months.. pretty risky at this point.

Weak play of some has forced the coaching staff to consider uncertain roster changes..

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2024 22:04]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835111 is a reply to message #835108 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 27 May 2024 21:52

Including tonight, Nurse has been on the ice for 18 5v5 goals against this playoffs.
The next closest defenceman in the league has been on for 12.

He's struggled, and then with who we can put out with him, he is always expected to be the stronger d-man on the pairing.

They've also tried to get him out against good competition a lot, but that pairing has been completely failing as the shutdown guys.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835112 is a reply to message #835111 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Things aren't going the way we want them to for sure, we aren't playing 60 minute games for one. However, let's not lay all of this on Skinner as was being suggested in the GDT, at least 3 or 4 clear cut chances we had were poorly shot, that McDavid one from the side of the net, Nurse when he had near enough all the net open.

This is a team sport and the TEAM as a whole aren't in the best place right now. It's still early, split the home series and make it a best of 3 again.

A couple of hits at the coaching staff, I said in the GDT that they should have called a time out after the first goal went in, I stick by that and though KK gave a reasoned response when asked, it doesn't mean it's right. Secondly yeah we are chasing the game, but pulling Skinner with so much of the game to go and on a face off was silly, we need to have some control in the O-zone before pulling him. The staff haven't done much wrong since they arrived, but small errors can contribute to the team performance.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835110 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Mon, 27 May 2024 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

.. rants over.. icon_smile

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835117 is a reply to message #835110 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Holy cow, what a tail of 2 different periods.

The Oilers were absolutely dominating the Stars in the first period and the 2 goals against probably flattered them. If not for Oettinger, the Oilers easily could have had another maybe 2 more after the first.

Then the 2nd. What in the actual F was that!! How the hell do you come out that flipping flat after your first!!! Everyone expected the Stars to push back but it looked like a men's team vs a kids team for almost the whole 2nd period. It seriously looked like they thought the game was over after the first period.

The worst of the bunch was the fab 5 unit. McD's line plus Bouch and Ekholm looked unreal the first period then as a 5 man unit, I am not sure they could have played worse. On for the Stars first 2 goals against and looked like it was their first time playing hockey. If you are going to have your best center, your best winger, then probably your 4th best forward plus your best offensive dman and best defensive dman all playing together virtually all the time and play them as much as those guys get, you CAN'T have them be a pile of garbage like they were in the second.

Yes there is other guys who made mistakes in the game but that 5 man unit was absolutely awful in the second and it cost them big time.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835119 is a reply to message #835117 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 08:01

The Oilers were absolutely dominating the Stars in the first period and the 2 goals against probably flattered them. If not for Oettinger, the Oilers easily could have had another maybe 2 more after the first.

Then the 2nd. What in the actual F was that!! How the hell do you come out that flipping flat after your first!!! Everyone expected the Stars to push back but it looked like a men's team vs a kids team for almost the whole 2nd period. It seriously looked like they thought the game was over after the first period.

The worst of the bunch was the fab 5 unit. McD's line plus Bouch and Ekholm looked unreal the first period then as a 5 man unit, I am not sure they could have played worse. On for the Stars first 2 goals against and looked like it was their first time playing hockey. If you are going to have your best center, your best winger, then probably your 4th best forward plus your best offensive dman and best defensive dman all playing together virtually all the time and play them as much as those guys get, you CAN'T have them be a pile of garbage like they were in the second.

Yes there is other guys who made mistakes in the game but that 5 man unit was absolutely awful in the second and it cost them big time.

Those guys scored 2, and were on the ice for 2 against. Nuge was probably the biggest offender on both goals, we should probably try Henrique on the first line again.

But that's just a tie game. Who was out there starting tire fires to give Dallas the lead twice? These are players that rarely ever are able to create anything in our favor. That's how games are won and lost this time of year. Lack of depth, and weak links on D sunk us again. And Skinner let in a stinker. Exact same lineup issues that sunk us a year ago.

Just gotta hope now we have some adjustments we can do to try to get the weak links able to at least play even hockey.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835120 is a reply to message #835119 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 08:16

Those guys scored 2, and were on the ice for 2 against. Nuge was probably the biggest offender on both goals, we should probably try Henrique on the first line again.

But that's just a tie game. Who was out there starting tire fires to give Dallas the lead twice? These are players that rarely ever are able to create anything in our favor. That's how games are won and lost this time of year. Lack of depth, and weak links on D sunk us again. And Skinner let in a stinker.

Sorry man, I think you are letting those 5 off the hook WAY too easily. You literally said Nuge was the problem on the first 2 Dallas goals. He made plays that CAN'T happen. Those plays don't happen, very likely they don't score. The Stars scored 3 goals in just over 3 mins and that line was on for 2 goals. That means that line was on for probably 2 out of the 3 shifts in the span. They don't make those bad mistakes, at least 1 of those goals doesn't happen, probably both. The Stars do all that pushing and potentially get nothing to show for it, it can take the will of a team.

Those guys get way too much ice to give them a pass and then try to throw the blame on someone else. Momentum in hockey is MASSIVE. It can literally change how a game is going. I am willing to bet that the the Stars and the Robertson line handing the McD line their lunch like they did in the second period gave the whole Stars bench a massive boost.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835121 is a reply to message #835120 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 08:24

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 08:16

But that's just a tie game. Who was out there starting tire fires to give Dallas the lead twice? These are players that rarely ever are able to create anything in our favor. That's how games are won and lost this time of year. Lack of depth, and weak links on D sunk us again. And Skinner let in a stinker.

Sorry man, I think you are letting those 5 off the hook WAY too easily. You literally said Nuge was the problem on the first 2 Dallas goals. He made plays that CAN'T happen. Those plays don't happen, very likely they don't score. The Stars scored 3 goals in just over 3 mins and that line was on for 2 goals. That means that line was on for probably 2 out of the 3 shifts in the span. They don't make those bad mistakes, at least 1 of those goals doesn't happen, probably both. The Stars do all that pushing and potentially get nothing to show for it, it can take the will of a team.

Those guys get way too much ice to give them a pass and then try to throw the blame on someone else. Momentum in hockey is MASSIVE. It can literally change how a game is going. I am willing to bet that the the Stars and the Robertson line handing the McD line their lunch like they did in the second period gave the whole Stars bench a massive boost.

Those are the only guys that will ever win us games. And for sure they are probably playing too much, but that's because the depth on this team sucks. It's a very very flawed team still, and the GM made no real effort to improve it. Just thought that the same guys would absorb playoff experience powers to super boost them this year. Unfortunately, most of the depth on this team is playing exactly the same. Thank goodness for Vinny being able to take pressure off Ceci's ice time, but he's struggling against Dallas too now.

I pointed out the bad plays, and how we sag in the second is definitely disappointing. I think Dallas has made good adjustments between periods and taken us by surprise by how dramatically their effort and execution has shifted between the 1st and 2nd periods for a couple games in a row now.

As for letting guys off the hook, I don't think I am really. Just pointing out what many knew, this is still a team completely dependent on a small group of players to do anything productive, and most of this lineup is just guys you hope don't get scored on. And that gets harder as a series goes on, especially against a well constructed roster with good coaching. IMO Dallas is now clearly attacking some of the D on our team, knowing they will make weak panic plays on clear attempts. It's getting hard to watch sometimes.

Also doesn't look like we will be winning the goaltending battle any time soon, so we probably need to be better than Dallas throughout our lineup to beat them. It's a very tall order for this roster.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 May 2024 08:41]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835116 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

I’m at the point where I sit Nurse in place for Stetcher or Broberg.
Does Skinner need another reset?

After such a dominant Start that second period was the ugliest thing I’ve seen in a while.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835118 is a reply to message #835116 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I might be the minority but I don't know how anyone point the finger at Skinner.

How many breakaways did he stop, 2 or 3!!

How many point blank looks did he stop in the 2nd? I lost count. When the Oilers were hemmed in their end for almost 3 mins with no change and they didn't score. The Stars could have had 5 in the second with how crappy the Oilers were. Should he had stopped the 4th one? Probably. But I thought Robertson made a pretty darn good play. In tight, he made a move that forced Skinner to have to move which caused a hole and Robertson hit that tiny hole. These teams are very even so any small mistake can cost these teams. But the idea of starting Pickard, I think is laughable.

I'd be swapping Perry in for Ryan. This series isn't about the PK. There aren't going to be enough calls his PK is enough of a factor for him to stay in while he loses puck battles and gets knocked around. This series looks like it will come down to some greasy goals and guys in the goalies face.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with Nurse. I am a guy who does not think like some fans he's a 3rd pairing guy. Yes he is overpaid but when he is on top of his game, he's a very good dman. He's been awful.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 May 2024 08:31]

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835132 is a reply to message #835118 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 09:04

I might be the minority but I don't know how anyone point the finger at Skinner.

How many breakaways did he stop, 2 or 3!!

How many point blank looks did he stop in the 2nd? I lost count. When the Oilers were hemmed in their end for almost 3 mins with no change and they didn't score. The Stars could have had 5 in the second with how crappy the Oilers were. Should he had stopped the 4th one? Probably. But I thought Robertson made a pretty darn good play. In tight, he made a move that forced Skinner to have to move which caused a hole and Robertson hit that tiny hole. These teams are very even so any small mistake can cost these teams. But the idea of starting Pickard, I think is laughable.

I'd be swapping Perry in for Ryan. This series isn't about the PK. There aren't going to be enough calls his PK is enough of a factor for him to stay in while he loses puck battles and gets knocked around. This series looks like it will come down to some greasy goals and guys in the goalies face.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with Nurse. I am a guy who does not think like some fans he's a 3rd pairing guy. Yes he is overpaid but when he is on top of his game, he's a very good dman. He's been awful.

Yeah I'm in the camp that Skinner shouldn't take sole blame for yesterday's game....though that 4th goal was just inexcusable at that juncture in Game 3 during the third period.

I wouldn't say Ryan has been an issue but do agree that Perry should be inserted into the lineup. Mcleod definitely deserved to be scratched but on higher quality ice in Edmonton? I believe his speed, skating, and shadowing abilities would've been beneficial yesterday as he tends to be more dangerous on home ice. Perhaps benching him in Game 1 of this series proved to be the right call but can't turn back time.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835122 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm mad at this team. Coming off the first the entire team and even the fan base thought this game was over, the intensity the team showed in the first 20 was remarkable. I said to my buddies, (who were busy planning the parade) it's a 60 minute game, there is 40 to go.

Then the second, and like always when the team feels they have it in the bag they let the foot off the accelerator, the team shows great faith in Skinner, and thought how could they lose. The played passive, they let Dallas carry the play, they let them into the game. Once Dallas goes up by one full panic mode. The oilers are like "cool, cool, we will get them in the 3rd".

The 3rd came the Oilers played sound hockey, but not enough offence to win the game. Gone was the intensity of the 1st and all Dallas had to do is match and match they did.

So mad with this team when they all sit back after working really hard in the 1st. Kane has plays die on his stick, Ceci would have a better time defending his role in the pressbox and the entire bottom 6 can't just look at Connor and sit back.

The need the 3 i's of the Stanley Cup playoffs. They are in no particular order:
Intensity
Intensity
and (this one I always have trouble remembering) oh yeah.. INTENSITY.

All shift every shift. Be intense. Dallas can't match when all players are focused solely on the game.

Play like you stole something and you're fighting to keep it.

Instead we have Darnell blocking shots in the square of his ass.

Just mad at this team and I hope they are all mad at themselves this morning.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835124 is a reply to message #835122 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

They count 'bumps' as 'hits'... we need a Kassian or Torres energy boost. Nobody's scared to go into a corner vs Vinnie (the biggest guy in the series) or Nurse (who started to establish that reputation a few years ago, but for some reason is afraid to throw hits now).
The announcer said last night Holloway had 6 hits... WHERE? I get that not every hit needs to shatter bones, but you're not going to intimidate opposition by bumping into them. Make the guy just a little worried. Make him rush his pass. Make him make a mistake!
There was no tenacity in our game after the 1st.
As for Skinner, he played ok at best. Not Playoff caliber. Stopped several high danger chances earlier, but that game winning goal was atrocious. When you let in 4 on 21 shots... can't say it was acceptable in any way.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835125 is a reply to message #835085 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Media now reporting that Stecher will require ankle surgery and hasn’t been at practice for 3 weeks, after fans noticed he was absent.

Good job everyone.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835126 is a reply to message #835125 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 12:33

Media now reporting that Stecher will require ankle surgery and hasn’t been at practice for 3 weeks, after fans noticed he was absent.

Good job everyone.

This is funny to me.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835127 is a reply to message #835125 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Good job everyone.

Well, now we know why he hasn't been subbed in, although I'm curious how he got injured. He got in all of 7 games with the Oilers, with the most recent being the last regular season game against Colorado - a no-hitter where we got pasted by the Avs.

It's too bad - the veteran option always makes it a bit easier for the coach to make a change. Oh well, in Broberg we trust.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835128 is a reply to message #835127 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 13:24

Good job everyone.

Well, now we know why he hasn't been subbed in, although I'm curious how he got injured. He got in all of 7 games with the Oilers, with the most recent being the last regular season game against Colorado - a no-hitter where we got pasted by the Avs.

It's too bad - the veteran option always makes it a bit easier for the coach to make a change. Oh well, in Broberg we trust.

Obviously it's too late to do anything about it now, but this really underscores the importance of depth. There's every possibility the Ceci or Kulak or Nurse are injured and limited right now. But who is the replacement? A rookie that was exposed early in the season? An injured guy? That Kemp guy? The coach is stuck with one option right now... putting the season on Broberg. Do we want to go with Broberg and Pickard in game 4?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835129 is a reply to message #835128 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Anyone know how Stetcher got hurt? I am assuming it happened maybe in the last game of the season? He played against the Avs when they scratched a large chunk of their team and played short handed.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835130 is a reply to message #835125 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Good job everyone.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/SH4sAbjL8LoGc/200w.gif?cid=6c09b9529l3hm6trg5vs7zt13btdp0nvixc2nbcrrho2w6n2&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

So, exactly the same as last year there too. Broberg the only hope, if the coach is really tired of the current D.

I gotta say, not losing to the Canucks was pretty important for Canadain hockey fan can culture. At least we did that.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 May 2024 15:25]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835133 is a reply to message #835130 ]
Tue, 28 May 2024 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Sticking with skinner for game 4

I don’t agree with it what so ever. I hope I’m wrong f

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835136 is a reply to message #835133 ]
Wed, 29 May 2024 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 23:30

Sticking with skinner for game 4

I don’t agree with it what so ever. I hope I’m wrong f

It's crazy how determined they are to continue to roll this guy out. Hopefully they can dominate like they did against the canucks in game 6. Skinner is usually pretty reliable and far less likely to allow terrible back breaking goals if there are no shots on net.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835137 is a reply to message #835125 ]
Wed, 29 May 2024 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Good job everyone.

Journalists in 2024 just don't get enough credit for the hard work they do - Those guys are in the trenches every single day.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #835144 is a reply to message #835137 ]
Wed, 29 May 2024 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Wed, 29 May 2024 05:15

Good job everyone.

Journalists in 2024 just don't get enough credit for the hard work they do - Those guys are in the trenches every single day.

In war time, sometimes the press gets censored though!

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:GDT: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca