This day on September 7
None

Happy Birthday To: kingoftwilight, Czeching, Lovey, Grewal, Medlen, skider44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833381 is a reply to message #833361 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 22:11

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:08

McDavid talking a lot about trying to protect the lead. Damn. This team does not have the defense to do that crap. Knob gonna try to make us sit on our hands against good teams just because it worked against LA? Sigh

This is Knob's adjustment moment. Does he realize he doesn't have the D to really sit on any lead against any team left in the playoffs? If not, we could be doomed.

I think they had the right idea, you're up 4-1.. don't give up the cheap odd man rushes/chances against which they did routinely in the regular season.. keep the puck in front of you.. and at the other end.. some just couldn't do their job..

It was noticeable that the Miller line was matched against Nurse/Ceci.. and not Kulak and Desharnais.. other team's scouting staff is telling you something about your team.

Sadly .. 90 games later and the Oilers are full circle with a loss to Team America.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833362 is a reply to message #833356 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

I would say Skinner had a really bad game. I think usually he would have had 3 or maybe 4 of those. He scored on himself. He didn't seal the side of the net on one. Let in a 70 foot slapper. And then the last weak one between his legs. I'll give him a mulligan. But he needs to bounce back. And they have to realize it's a 60 minute game. Not 20. They were way too passive after the first. They didn't look sharp all game. Didn't exit the zone multiple times where they should have. Just sloppy play. Looked like they hadn't played in a week.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833364 is a reply to message #833362 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:11

I would say Skinner had a really bad game. I think usually he would have had 3 or maybe 4 of those. He scored on himself. He didn't seal the side of the net on one. Let in a 70 foot slapper. And then the last weak one between his legs. I'll give him a mulligan. But he needs to bounce back. And they have to realize it's a 60 minute game. Not 20. They were way too passive after the first. They didn't look sharp all game. Didn't exit the zone multiple times where they should have. Just sloppy play. Looked like they hadn't played in a week.

McDavid was specifically saying the Oilers were trying to defend the lead, saying they did it against LA, and that he was still happy with our game. Alarming.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833368 is a reply to message #833364 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

1 Cup

Worst game by Nurse in a long time.

Skinner too, but he usually is a mess for 1/2 games after any break and then gets hot.

McDavid better turn on the jets or we in trouble.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833369 is a reply to message #833364 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 22:13

McDavid was specifically saying the Oilers were trying to defend the lead, saying they did it against LA, and that he was still happy with our game. Alarming.

We can defend the lead against the Kings, not the Canucks who will make you pay. Knobs better make a big adjustment.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833372 is a reply to message #833364 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:13

Yeah, that didn’t sit too well with me.

Not to mention how badly they defended it.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833375 is a reply to message #833372 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:23

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:13

Yeah, that didn’t sit too well with me.

Not to mention how badly they defended it.

I think you would have to be completely insane if you think with this lineup, against any good team, you could sit on a lead for entire periods, letting the other team have the vast majority of possession. The only way we can defend against good teams is to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

It's weird too because that's not how we won in the regular season. That's not how we went on crazy winning streaks. Those last 2 games against LA where for whole periods we just hung back and barely created anything came out of nowhere from this team. It was neat, but it was against a 1 line team that themselves wanted to play a trap game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833371 is a reply to message #833362 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

The 70 footer in question went off two Oilers and the last being within 5 feet of the crease. He wasn’t stellar, but he was not the reason we lost and I agree a bounce would have been nice.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833384 is a reply to message #833356 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

McDavid looked lost in that post game interview. He was so soft spoken and ended it off so weird with that comment about Draisaitl.

He did not look or sound confident.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833373 is a reply to message #833306 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Not withstanding the Toronto Maple Leafs, we are the worst negative fan base in the NHL.

Some will say “I am a realist”, but the reality is do many of us will eat our own after one game. Its like no one here has played competitive sport.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833376 is a reply to message #833373 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:25

Not withstanding the Toronto Maple Leafs, we are the worst negative fan base in the NHL.

Some will say “I am a realist”, but the reality is do many of us will eat our own after one game. Its like no one here has played competitive sport.

Hockey fans venting after a crushing collapse. Is that so profound to you?

We are so lucky to have the voice of reason wagging the boney finger at us in these times. Yeah we know. Just doing your job.

If we are that negative to you, perhaps stop participating.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 May 2024 23:33]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833377 is a reply to message #833306 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

That 4x4 goal was killer...forwards didn't clear the zone but instead tried freeing McDavid up for a break...boom Boeser to Miller.

Game tying goal? 3rd line was standing around with Perry blatantly obstructing Skinner's view.

Nurse should've taken the body on Garland but that's one Skinner has to have.

Time for everybody but esp forwards to get in sync on both ends of the ice

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833378 is a reply to message #833377 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:42

That 4x4 goal was killer...forwards didn't clear the zone but instead tried freeing McDavid up for a break...boom Boeser to Miller.

Game tying goal? 3rd line was standing around with Perry blatantly obstructing Skinner's view.

I don't mind Nurse reaching to try to get his stick on Garland's to mess with the shot. Nurse can skate like the wind. He's huge and has a long reach. He SHOULD be able to do that if he wants, but he actually has to get his stick in the right spot. He stops skating, goes full reach, and Garland gets to make the full move he had in mind, and by the time he's shooting, Nurse may as well have not even been there, aside from him being a sliding pylon preventing a full on breakaway. He needed to skate a bit more, and actually get his stick in the right place.

Nurse needs to watch some Jacob Slavin or Toews if he thinks he can be some kinda stick checking wonderboy. I see in Nurse a defender that can't decide if he wants to be physical, or a stick checker. He ends up being neither, just a huge pylon a lot of the time. Can't remember the last time I saw Nurse throw a nice hit or really paste a guy. He has endless highlights of stick waving and accomplishing nothing as well.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 May 2024 23:51]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833379 is a reply to message #833378 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 00:48

I don't mind Nurse reaching to try to get his stick on Garland's to mess with the shot. Nurse can skate like the wind. He's huge and has a long reach. He SHOULD be able to do that if he wants, but he actually has to get his stick in the right spot. He stops skating, goes full reach, and Garland gets to make the full move he had in mind, and by the time he's shooting, Nurse may as well have not even been there.

Nurse needs to watch some Jacob Slavin or Toews if he thinks he can be some kinda stick checking wonderboy. I see in Nurse a defender that can't decide if he wants to be physical, or a stick checker. He ends up being neither, just a huge pylon a lot of the time. Can't remember the last time I saw Nurse throw a nice hit or really paste a guy. He has endless highlights of stick waving and accomplishing nothing as well.

Very good point. In short, he's unapologetically gotta take the body in that situation.

This was a tremendous opportunity to get a 1-0 lead with Vancouver visibly having issues adjusting to different tactics from the Nashville series & the Oilers just opened all the gates essentially giving them cliff notes to a last minute comeback victory.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833380 is a reply to message #833379 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 23:57

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 00:48

I don't mind Nurse reaching to try to get his stick on Garland's to mess with the shot. Nurse can skate like the wind. He's huge and has a long reach. He SHOULD be able to do that if he wants, but he actually has to get his stick in the right spot. He stops skating, goes full reach, and Garland gets to make the full move he had in mind, and by the time he's shooting, Nurse may as well have not even been there.

Very good point. In short, he's unapologetically gotta take the body in that situation.

This was a tremendous opportunity to get a 1-0 lead with Vancouver visibly having issues adjusting to different tactics from the Nashville series & the Oilers just opened all the gates essentially giving them cliff notes to a last minute comeback victory.

Yeah. We were worried about McDavid being shut down. We saved them the trouble and went into a turtle shell and shut everyone down for them. Just a super disappointing and honestly confusing game. Imagine seeing that Canucks goalie looking as weak as he was and deciding just sitting back and barely even trying to get shots was the way to go to win. Finding new ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833385 is a reply to message #833380 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I'm not really into Knob's defensive-shell mindset. That's not how this team is constructed. This is an offensive-minded team that needs to roll lines, and Knob thinks they are some sort of defensive juggernaut that can shut it down. Newsflash, Knob... the Oilers are not a defensive team. They need to keep moving and keep skating. When they stop pushing the play, they turn into a pin cushion.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833382 is a reply to message #833306 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Nurse Ceci man. A pairing problem we have known is a problem for years and is still costing us games.

They weren’t just big event bad or saw him bad. They got decimated on chances against and weren’t even defending against the top Vancouver line for most of the night.

Put in Stecher.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833383 is a reply to message #833382 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 01:03

Nurse Ceci man. A pairing problem we have known is a problem for years and is still costing us games.

They weren’t just big event bad or saw him bad. They got decimated on chances against and weren’t even defending against the top Vancouver line for most of the night.

Put in Stecher.

I personally don't have anything against Ceci if he's fully healthy with a good step he may have possessed in the past...though I've found Nurse to have played better overall hockey IF he's paired with a much better puck mover on the right side essentially forcing him into a shutdown role. Always liked that Nurse & Barrie pairing in the past but a moot point for now.

As for what KR mentioned about Nurse always hesitating between stick or body check against forwards in pivotal moments....I feel that his exceptional skating for a big dman might be a double edged sword. If the guy was maybe a bit slower, then that would force him into making better decisions...similar to how Sonic the Hedgehog is maybe too fast & hard to control at times.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2024 00:41]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833386 is a reply to message #833383 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Straight up, the Nurse Ceci pairing is a tire fire. Just terrible.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833387 is a reply to message #833306 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Last night's game was some horse crap.😤

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833388 is a reply to message #833387 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Official word on Drai seems to be back cramps. Hopefully that's all it is, as outside of Ekholm he's probably our most important player these playoffs.

Very disappointing way to lose, but it kind of felt inevitable the way the last 10 mins of the 3rd went. Stu definitely should have had 3 of those. If you score 4 on the Canucks you should NOT be losing.
He's bounced back well every time after having a bad game though, so let's tie this thing up on Friday. Sure hope Henrique is good to go Friday. Love Janmark and what he brings, but he is NOT a top 6 player.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833389 is a reply to message #833388 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

No need to panic in my opinion. I still think when you put the 2 rosters together, the Oilers are the better team and I am confident they will win the series.

I felt all along, in order for the Canucks to beat the Oilers they need these things to happen.

- They need the Oilers top guys to go quiet in the series.
- They need Skinner to lose Oilers games.
- They need the Oilers special teams to suck.
- They need breaks.

Bonus points for the refs not calling anything but that's way lower on my list.

What happened last night.

Top guys: I watched the whole game.
- If I didn't look at the box scores, I wouldn't have known McD played. I know they will check McD hard but he didn't have a single great rush, not a great play. Didn't even get a single shot on goal. On top of that 27.8% on the dot which is pathetic.
- Nuge. I know in Edmonton he's borderline untouchable but at some point, teams that win have guys like Nuge step up. Nuge is a vet, longest serving Oiler. He's a good player, not a top player. I know I am being extra hard on him but he's been around a long time and it's the same crap, he's just be OK. Hyman has clearly stepped up, when will Nuge.
- Kane was quiet. Home town, I thought he would be flying around. Especially when Zadorov was getting in his face early.
- Leon. He was great to start. Hampered by something. Hopefully it's a cramp like was reported which would make sense for him to leave a bit early in the second. Get it worked on then he comes back. The Canucks were targetting him big time.

Goaltending:
Skinner made some good saves but that Garland goal can't go in. I didn't love the Zadorov goal. I won't fault him on the Miller goal because that was an unreal tip and I bet if you did that 20 times, 19 go somewhere else as he put that perfect. But either way, Silovs wasn't very good so all Skinner had to be was mediocre and he wasn't. He will bounce back.

Breaks:
First Canucks goal. Shot goes way wide, hits the boards in the perfect spot to bounce out right on Joshua's tape. I am not sure if you practiced that, it would go that well.

Second goal, Lindholm is trying to pass it across. Oilers have it covered, deflects off Skinners stick and in. Pretty lucky.

Nuge hits the post. Silovs has no clue the puck comes out front. Nuge is all alone. He's not a 4th liner who might get the jitters. He's a top 6 guy. The only way he doesn't score is if he missed the net completely or puts it off the post or bar. He hits the post. confused2 I sill can't believe it.

All that happened and they ended up losing. Now the Oilers did not play well in the second half of the game. It looked to me, they forgot how normal hockey is played. The Kings just sit back and wait. Oilers dmen could get the puck, hang out behind the net, skate to the top of the circles, hang out, wait for a line change, figure out what they wanted to do then do it because no one was in their face. The Canucks actually forecheck so it looked like the Oilers dmen weren't ready to have to someone pressuring. They seemed to casually go back for pucks then it clicked in "Oh yes, I have to skate". They weren't used to a player near them when they were breaking the puck out. I lost count how many times they tried a routine breakout and couldn't make a tape to tape pass.

The refs didn't stop the Oilers from losing but they didn't help. The Canucks were banging and to only give 1 penalty, which was a too many men is hard to believe.

Either way, the Oilers played an immature game and they looked in disarray. I think they will figure it out.

One more note. At what point will McLeod show he can be a good 3rd line center. I view 3rd line center as a very important role on a team. They tend to have important defensive responsibilities and in my opinion are the leader of the offensive side for the bottom 6. He's got the size, skill and speed to be a very good 3rd line center than can chip in offense. He's got the defense down. WHEN will he do something offensively.

38 total playoff games. 3 goals, 9 pts. He didn't score a single goal last playoff in 12 games, doesn't have a point in 6 games so far. 48 shots in 38 games. So barely a shot per game. He has 5 shots in 6 games this playoff. Just like Nuge, at some point in time some of their secondary players have to step up.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2024 08:34]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833390 is a reply to message #833306 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Wild.

Spector doing the rounds saying nurse Ceci were fine and Skinner let in bad goals. Just ignoring how nurse Ceci were stuck in their end all night unable to break cycles or stop entries. Lindholm's line looked like the Canucks best all night because they got the good fortune of matching up against this D pair.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNHLUUkXkAEi6md?format=jpg&name=900x900

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833391 is a reply to message #833390 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 11:56

Wild.

Spector doing the rounds saying nurse Ceci were fine and Skinner let in bad goals. Just ignoring how nurse Ceci were stuck in their end all night unable to break cycles or stop entries. Lindholm's line looked like the Canucks best all night because they got the good fortune of matching up against this D pair.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNHLUUkXkAEi6md?format=jpg&name=900x900

Yikes. Eye-test said they were bad, but that is absolutely BRUTAL!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833392 is a reply to message #833391 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The Oilers defense seemed to be unable to make a 10 ft pass. Bouchard and Ekholm were the best of the bunch but even they I thought weren't as crisp as normal.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833393 is a reply to message #833390 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I know what Nurse and Ceci are. I'm more worried about Desharnais.

The caveat to all of this is I was watching the game at the Moss Pit, which is a terrible place to be if you actually want to watch hockey, so I missed some of the nuance I'd normally pick up on. It seemed like big 73 was hemmed in an awful lot. I thought one of the big reasons why the Oilers D looked better this year was that Desharnais hasn't looked slow and behind the play. I thought he looked slow last night. If he can't keep up with the Canucks and the Nurse / Ceci pairing remains what they the Oilers are going to struggle on D all series... and beyond.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833395 is a reply to message #833393 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 09:25

The caveat to all of this is I was watching the game at the Moss Pit, which is a terrible place to be if you actually want to watch hockey, so I missed some of the nuance I'd normally pick up on. It seemed like big 73 was hemmed in an awful lot. I thought one of the big reasons why the Oilers D looked better this year was that Desharnais hasn't looked slow and behind the play. I thought he looked slow last night. If he can't keep up with the Canucks and the Nurse / Ceci pairing remains what they the Oilers are going to struggle on D all series... and beyond.

Which Oilers defender didn't looked hemmed in?

Nurse - Ceci had times when they couldn't get out of their zone and complete a pass. Part of this pairing getting it out is Nurse skating it and he didn't do that at all.

Kulak - Deharnais had times when they couldn't get out of their zone and complete a pass. Part of this pairing getting it out is Kulak skating it and he didn't do that at all.

Ekholm - Bouch were the best of the bunch due to Bouch's puck moving but they got hemmed in too and I didn't think these 2 were overly sharp with their break outs. Bouch's bread and butter is moving the puck up quickly and accurately and I didn't think he was as sharp as usual.

I saw a lot of missed passed from every pairing last night. I didn't think rust would be a factor but sure looked like it.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2024 09:34]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833399 is a reply to message #833395 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 09:31

Which Oilers defender didn't looked hemmed in?

Nurse - Ceci had times when they couldn't get out of their zone and complete a pass. Part of this pairing getting it out is Nurse skating it and he didn't do that at all.

Kulak - Deharnais had times when they couldn't get out of their zone and complete a pass. Part of this pairing getting it out is Kulak skating it and he didn't do that at all.

Ekholm - Bouch were the best of the bunch due to Bouch's puck moving but they got hemmed in too and I didn't think these 2 were overly sharp with their break outs.

I saw a lot of missed passed from every pairing last night. I didn't think rust would be a factor but sure looked like it.

Well that's kind of the point. I expect Nurse and Ceci to be not so good and I expect Ekholm's pairing to be good. Everything I saw from those 4 last night was as I thought it would. The swing was hoping for a better result from Desharnais and getting the same result as last playoffs.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833397 is a reply to message #833393 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Desharnais playing well is found money at this point IMO. It would be nice to think Vinny playing well can take the pressure off Nurse/Ceci, which I think did happen against LA, but doesn't that mean we should be more concerned about Nurse/Ceci? We need this 800k dman to play better so we can't get burned as much by our 12.5M D pair? I honestly have more confidence right now that Vinny can up his game more than our 2nd pair can.

This is all stuff Holland should have been obsessively thinking about after the Vegas series, and even before that of course. He should have been deathly afraid of our 2nd pair toileting his legacy in Edmonton.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833400 is a reply to message #833397 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 09:37

Desharnais playing well is found money at this point IMO. It would be nice to think Vinny playing well can take the pressure off Nurse/Ceci, which I think did happen against LA, but doesn't that mean we should be more concerned about Nurse/Ceci? We need this 800k dman to play better so we can't get burned as much by our 12.5M D pair? I honestly have more confidence right now that Vinny can up his game more than our 2nd pair can.

This is all stuff Holland should have been obsessively thinking about after the Vegas series, and even before that of course. He should have been deathly afraid of our 2nd pair toileting his legacy in Edmonton.

It still blows my mind that the Oilers saw what Vegas did to them last season and thought "yeah, let's go with the exact same backend". I agree Desharnais is found money this year. He was really good this season. Same for Skinner, to be honest. We have to have a lot of hope that these guys are just better now that the games are getting more intense.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833403 is a reply to message #833400 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I thought the Oilers were surprisingly passive on the physical end. I am not sure if the Oilers were worried about taking penalties. I am not looking for them to run around looking for hits to put themselves out of position but the Canucks were running around at times and I am surprised the Oilers didn't respond.

Kane - 4 hits. He did some but I thought he would run around more being in his home town, the Canucks wanting to hit and scrum it up.
Perry - 2 hits. The Canucks were scrumming it up. That's his game. I thought he would be in the goalies face all night.
Janmark - 0 hits - Not his game I get it but this is playoffs. I didn't think he was awful, he wasn't a drag on McD like I saw some people on twitter saw. Janmark on the line doesn't stop McD from skating or shooting. But he didn't do anything to get out of his comfort zone or stand out.
Brown - 1 hit. Really disappointed with him. I got into it with a poster that as a fan base, we should be wanting all players to do well, not hoping for them to fail like the poster was. But I was surprised at how quiet he was. You sat all the first round. If you want to stay in the line up, you need to get out of your comfort zone and play a little desperate to stay in the line up and he didn't at all.

The biggest shockers, the d core.
Nurse - ZERO hits. 6'4 215 skates really well, not scared to mix it up. I have said it before, I don't think a dman can do their job properly without having to hit at least some. The nature of the position calls for 1 on 1 battles and retrieving pucks in the corners which are contact areas.

Ceci - See above. I don't know how you have zero hits as a dman.

Ekhlom - 1 hit. You are a huge, physically imposing man who's has some offense but is more about defense. How do you only hit 1 time, especially given your partner is the exact opposite of you, the supreme offensive guy.

Kulak - I know it's not your game to run around but zero hits. Come on. You are in the 3rd pairing, you don't score a ton. He should have at least a couple.

Desharnais - 1 hit. I like Vinnie. I love his story and how hard he works to improve but dude, you aren't in the NHL because you score goals, blazing skater and move the puck. You are there to clear the net front, block shots, defend, and your size. 1 hit is unacceptable. If you aren't getting more, then what are you doing out there?

Bouch - 2 hits. Good for you and I am serious. You aren't out there to hit. Like I said the nature of the dman position I think requires some physical play but I don't expect a ton from you. You lead the d core in hits which is embarrassing and I don't mean it as a shot at Bouch, it's a shot at the rest especially Nurse, Ceci, Ekholm and Desharnais. I am not looking for every dman to have 10 hits but if you are engaged in the game and going after it like you should, no dman should have zeros.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833404 is a reply to message #833403 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 11:12

Brown - 1 hit. Really disappointed with him. I got into it with a poster that as a fan base, we should be wanting all players to do well, not hoping for them to fail like the poster was.

Okay, obviously this quip is directed toward myself. I want you to show us all in the pregame thread where I said I wanted Brown to fail.

If you are going to make this claim 2X now, prove your point or stfu.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833405 is a reply to message #833404 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I assuming Henrique is ready to go, he takes Brown's spot on the game roster as Brown did nothing really wrong but didn't do anything to me that says he need to stay in. I would swap Carrick in for Ryan. I think/hope bring in Carrick after sitting for a few, he'd play with a lot of energy. I thought the the line really didn't bring a lot. Not that I expect them to carry the game but you can't just be 3 guys cruising around giving other guys a breather.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833408 is a reply to message #833405 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 11:48

I assuming Henrique is ready to go, he takes Brown's spot on the game roster as Brown did nothing really wrong but didn't do anything to me that says he need to stay in. I would swap Carrick in for Ryan. I think/hope bring in Carrick after sitting for a few, he'd play with a lot of energy. I thought the the line really didn't bring a lot. Not that I expect them to carry the game but you can't just be 3 guys cruising around giving other guys a breather.

I'd start considering giving Perry a rest. He wasn't keeping up very well last night. Coach obviously feels like he needs to keep starting Perry in the offensive end so he doesn't have to skate the rink to try to do something offensively.

Brown was one of the very few Oilers that got the better side of possession. His penalty was stupid, but at least he was still trying with the lead. He must have missed the memo to the team in the first round that we stop playing for entire periods with a lead, maybe that's an advantage for him.

Don't expect Brown to actually do much on the scoresheet, but he at least was keeping up. Perry is worrisome in this series.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833409 is a reply to message #833408 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 13:42

I'd start considering giving Perry a rest. He wasn't keeping up very well last night. Coach obviously feels like he needs to keep starting Perry in the offensive end so he doesn't have to skate the rink to try to do something offensively.

Brown was one of the very few Oilers that got the better side of possession. His penalty was stupid, but at least he was still trying with the lead. He must have missed the memo to the team in the first round that we stop playing for entire periods with a lead, maybe that's an advantage for him.

Don't expect Brown to actually do much on the scoresheet, but he at least was keeping up. Perry is worrisome in this series.

Brown did? I watched the whole game and I can't remember him doing a single thing other than take that dumb penalty. He didn't even register a shot on goal and I was pulling for him and thought he would come out flying.

I get what you are saying for Perry but at the same time, with the style of game Perry plays, he's more likely to cause a goal by going to the net and causing chaos in the crease than Brown because of his size and how he plays. I thought the Oilers looked dead on their feet for over half the game. Perry is the type of guy that might bring some life to the bench, maybe hit a guy, get in someone's face. Hus playoff experience brings value to the team I feel. Maybe you drop Perry down to the 4th line but the way it's gone this year and what I saw from Brown last night, I just think you are more likely to get something from Perry than Brown even if it's not a goal. I had hopes Brown would be a good addition but it just hasn't worked at all for him which is a shame.

Maybe you move up Foegele and have Holloway - McLeod and Foegele as your 3rd line. Lots of speed there. Then you have Janmark - Carrick - Perry as your 4th and go tell those 3 to muck it up and grind the piss out of the Canucks defense.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2024 14:08]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833411 is a reply to message #833409 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 14:07

Brown did? I watched the whole game and I can't remember him doing a single thing other than take that dumb penalty. He didn't even register a shot on goal and I was pulling for him and thought he would come out flying.

I get what you are saying for Perry but at the same time, with the style of game Perry plays, he's more likely to cause a goal by going to the net and causing chaos in the crease than Brown because of his size and how he plays. I thought the Oilers looked dead on their feet for over half the game. Perry is the type of guy that might bring some life to the bench, maybe hit a guy, get in someone's face. Hus playoff experience brings value to the team I feel. Maybe you drop Perry down to the 4th line but the way it's gone this year and what I saw from Brown last night, I just think you are more likely to get something from Perry than Brown even if it's not a goal. I had hopes Brown would be a good addition but it just hasn't worked at all for him which is a shame.

Maybe you move up Foegele and have Holloway - McLeod and Foegele as your 3rd line. Lots of speed there. Then you have Janmark - Carrick - Perry as your 4th and go tell those 3 to muck it up and grind the piss out of the Canucks defense.

He barely played, but thought he did some OK stuff on the boards in the offensive end, and was moving his feet.

The bar is insanely low for him of course :) Yeah, no shots, but we barely had any in the game anyways. Was begging for just some effort to try to so something past center in the last half of that game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833413 is a reply to message #833411 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 14:17

He barely played, but thought he did some OK stuff on the boards in the offensive end, and was moving his feet.

The bar is insanely low for him of course :) Yeah, no shots, but we barely had any in the game anyways. Was begging for just some effort to try to so something past center in the last half of that game.

The Oilers were just lacking so many guys from looking like they were doing anything, I guess for me, Brown just blended in. I fully admit I wasn't focusing on him so if you say he was doing good things, I will take your word for it. I just expected he would stand out more consider he sat out the whole series. If it was me, I would have been doing whatever I could to get the coaches attention in a positive way so it's not my name taken off for next game. I expected more urgency in his game. I know he's not a hitter but in the playoffs, lots of non physical guys hit so I thought he'd be more physical, trying to drive the net. Getting after guys. But instead he was doing more of the same all year.

Here's a question. I thought the Oilers PK was excellent again. They were aggressive, turning pucks over, even though they didn't get shots on goal, they were taking it to the Canucks end for potential scoring chances. Blows me away they can do that, then the same guys stop 5 on 5.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833414 is a reply to message #833413 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 14:26

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 14:17

The Oilers were just lacking so many guys from looking like they were doing anything, I guess for me, Brown just blended in. I fully admit I wasn't focusing on him so if you say he was doing good things, I will take your word for it. I just expected he would stand out more consider he sat out the whole series. If it was me, I would have been doing whatever I could to get the coaches attention in a positive way so it's not my name taken off for next game. I expected more urgency in his game. I know he's not a hitter but in the playoffs, lots of non physical guys hit so I thought he'd be more physical, trying to drive the net. Getting after guys. But instead he was doing more of the same all year.

Here's a question. I thought the Oilers PK was excellent again. They were aggressive, turning pucks over, even though they didn't get shots on goal, they were taking it to the Canucks end for potential scoring chances. Blows me away they can do that, then the same guys stop 5 on 5.

Yeah, saved all out aggression for the PK.

It's too bad. Clearly the Canucks wanted to play. They were not in shut down mode. They wanted to attack. We just let them be the only ones doing it. huge disparity in effort last night. Canucks probably put double the calories into that game than we did.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833406 is a reply to message #833404 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 11:35

Brown - 1 hit. Really disappointed with him. I got into it with a poster that as a fan base, we should be wanting all players to do well, not hoping for them to fail like the poster was.

Okay, obviously this quip is directed toward myself. I want you to show us all in the pregame thread where I said I wanted Brown to fail.

I don't see any possible way of having a reasonable discussion with a person who starts it off by telling them to stfu. So have a good one and I hope your day improves.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833415 is a reply to message #833406 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 11:54

I don't see any possible way of having a reasonable discussion with a person who starts it off by telling them to stfu. So have a good one and I hope your day improves.

There's no need for discussion now anyway.

You have pretty much just answered my question.

Thanks.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833410 is a reply to message #833404 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I know I went to bed last night cursing the name g2k for the Game One defeat. I hope you'll be much more upbeat in the run-up to Game Two so that Brown, if in the lineup, plays much better!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca