This day on September 27
Acquired: Dean Hopkins (1985) Sebastien Bisaillon (2006)

Happy Birthday To: Leia, Sedated, Oilfanforever!!

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Mike Babcock
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Mike Babcock [message #825464 is a reply to message #825461 ]
Mon, 18 September 2023 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

A few thoughts:

- Interesting to see how this played out. Credit to the Spittin' Chiclets crew who stood behind their story while there was clearly pressure for them to back off. I'm sure many GMs and even the NHL weren't too thrilled to see them air a team's laundry out. I wonder if there will be any blowback against them.

- I continue to be surprised at how little interest there is from the supposed heavyweights of the hockey media to even weigh in on this besides tweets confirming meetings have happened or resignations are impending. Guys like Friedman, Dreger, etc. continue to show ZERO courage at all around this stuff. You wonder how many stories over the years have got buried because those guys won't rock the boat even a little. Wyshynski was at least commenting this week about just how many people are happy to say how much of a douchebag Babcock is. If you look at some of the other guy's comments, it's either they ignored that anything was happening, or they said that they're hearing the same thing that it's a nothing burger.

- Babcock is a total weirdo. Even in his explanation of what happened, it just sounds super awkward and strange. Can you imagine meeting a new boss and having him ask you on the spot to show a photo of your family? I mean, that's not a normal thing.

- Will be weird now for Jenner and Gaudreau who both made comments in support of the coach. I'm sure they were asked to do so, but clearly, that flies against some guys who were really not happy and willing to talk about that to both Bissonette and the NHLPA.

- The other thing that remains really under-reported. Columbus did not hire Babcock thinking he was warm and cuddly now. They might be hoping he didn't do something as blatant as embarrassing Marner in front of all his teammates with a list he forced Marner to make on ranking all teammates on work ethic - but they know his style. They know he's a jerk and that he grinds and grinds and grinds on his players. That's what they signed up for. If you look at Kekelainen's coaching hires, he hired Tortorella and kept him for 6 years, even when it was clear that some of his best players were really wanting out of that relationship. Then he promoted Torts' assistant Brad Larsen - I know nothing about his style but he only lasted two seasons. Then it was right back to the old school hard-edged coach in Babcock.

So while I doubt he ever thought things could blow up so fast, he fully intended to make his players less comfortable by bringing in this guy. They knew what they were getting and they signed him anyhow. And now this is the result.

- Finally, the big positive from this is that it might make teams ask themselves if it's worth it before bringing back some other disgraced former coaches. Bill Peters has been working to position himself for a return for some time, and is coaching kids in Medicine Hat this year with the Tigers. You know he's hoping that a little success there and he's right back in the NHL, but hopefully this stalls that a little - and maybe even gives young players some outlet if there's mistreatment in junior.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Mike Babcock
By: inverno76 on Mon, 18 September 2023 11:09
Read Message Re: Mike Babcock
By: Kr55 on Mon, 18 September 2023 11:37
By: CrusaderPi on Mon, 18 September 2023 13:07
By: Adam on Mon, 18 September 2023 14:52
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 18 September 2023 15:13
By: CrusaderPi on Mon, 18 September 2023 15:41
By: Adam on Mon, 18 September 2023 18:34
By: K.McC#24 on Mon, 25 September 2023 13:17
By: Adam on Mon, 25 September 2023 14:13
By: Kr55 on Mon, 18 September 2023 19:49

Previous Topic:Summer 2023 Signings and Trades...
Next Topic:Ducks new coach
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca