This day on September 27
Acquired: Dean Hopkins (1985) Sebastien Bisaillon (2006)

Happy Birthday To: Leia, Sedated, Oilfanforever!!

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835621 is a reply to message #835555 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Media guys already starting to try to lionize Ken Holland for his role here, rather than rightly credit the players for overcoming bad management to reach the Finals. Here's Gord Miller sucking up, not JUST to Holland, but also to Peter Chiarelli:

Quote:

Gord Miller 🌻🇺🇦
@GMillerTSN

As Edmonton advances to the Stanley Cup Final, Oiler GM Ken Holland is deservedly getting credit for his excellent moves (signing Zach Hyman, trading for Mattias Ekholm, the early season coaching change) but his much-maligned predecessor Peter Chiarelli deserves credit as well.

Some of Chiarelli’s moves that paid off? His management group drafted Evan Bouchard (1st rd, 10th overall 2018), Stuart Skinner (3rd rd, 78th overall 2017) and he signed Leon Draisaitl to an 8 year, $8.5m extension, a great contract that was widely criticized at the time.

Chiarelli’s administration made mistakes, as has Holland’s, which has made several moves it would like back, but every franchise has contracts it would like to get out of and trades it would like to undo. It’s tough to predict future performance and there’s an element of luck.

Holland has been beaten up at times in Edmonton, but his Hall of Fame credentials remain intact, the Oilers are a much better team now than they were when he took over five years ago. He’d be the first one to say that some of the key pieces were put in place by Peter Chiarelli.

In the two years before Holland took over, the Oilers finished 23rd and 28th overall. Since then, they’ve made the playoffs every year, have won 6 series, have been to the conference final twice and are about to play in the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in 18 years.

And hey, some of what he says is correct. The Oilers were out of the playoffs when the team sacked Chiarelli (who holds huge responsibility for the terrible finish to 2018 and 2019). And Holland DID add Ekholm and Hyman who are both big contributors.

But this team should have been competitive in most of the last 5 years, and Holland's moves were a big part of the reason that they have not been. Even this year, he fumbled again and again and to look at just the trade deadline alone you can see the difference:

Vancouver Canucks:
Elias Lindholm (Kuzmenko, 2 prospects & 1st rd pick)
Nikita Zadorov (5th rd pick)

Dallas Stars:
Chris Tanev (prospect & 2nd rd pick)

Florida Panthers:
Vlad Tarasenko (Conditional 4th rd pick)
Kyle Okposo (7th & borderline prospect)

Edmonton Oilers:
Adam Henrique (1st round pick)
Sam Carrick
Troy Stecher (4th rd pick)

We paid more, to get less than other teams we're facing. And Henrique has been fine...I don't have any real complaint with the player, but it's not like Holland did everything that could be done to give us the best chance to win this year.

If we win the Cup, it's on McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, Nuge, Skinner, etc. Holland's share of the credit should be minimal and certainly he shouldn't be held up as some amazing builder here...he's been overall bad.

Miller was clearly perplexed to find himself assailed by Oilers fans with no love for Holland after his message...people didn't even bother to comment on Panicky Pete Chiarelli...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835627 is a reply to message #835621 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I don't even want to know where this season would have gone if Jackson didn't force Knob onto Holland, and we got to see Woody keep trying to figure out how to evolve some combination of the brain dead man on man game plan with the brain dead, heavily advertised, everyone stick in your set zone box game plan. With complimentary video compilations of individual mistakes every evening.

Putting Kulak with Nurse played a part in saving our season IMO. Just a full thumbs down to the RHD Holland gave Knob to work with in the top 4. So glad that worked out.

Lots of magic so far this year to overcome Holland's bumbling. So glad he will be gone. And really hope Jackson has a good pick lined up for GM.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 June 2024 16:41]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835660 is a reply to message #835621 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 June 2024 13:43

Media guys already starting to try to lionize Ken Holland for his role here, rather than rightly credit the players for overcoming bad management to reach the Finals. Here's Gord Miller sucking up, not JUST to Holland, but also to Peter Chiarelli:

Quote:

Gord Miller 🌻🇺🇦
@GMillerTSN

As Edmonton advances to the Stanley Cup Final, Oiler GM Ken Holland is deservedly getting credit for his excellent moves (signing Zach Hyman, trading for Mattias Ekholm, the early season coaching change) but his much-maligned predecessor Peter Chiarelli deserves credit as well.

Some of Chiarelli’s moves that paid off? His management group drafted Evan Bouchard (1st rd, 10th overall 2018), Stuart Skinner (3rd rd, 78th overall 2017) and he signed Leon Draisaitl to an 8 year, $8.5m extension, a great contract that was widely criticized at the time.

Chiarelli’s administration made mistakes, as has Holland’s, which has made several moves it would like back, but every franchise has contracts it would like to get out of and trades it would like to undo. It’s tough to predict future performance and there’s an element of luck.

Holland has been beaten up at times in Edmonton, but his Hall of Fame credentials remain intact, the Oilers are a much better team now than they were when he took over five years ago. He’d be the first one to say that some of the key pieces were put in place by Peter Chiarelli.

In the two years before Holland took over, the Oilers finished 23rd and 28th overall. Since then, they’ve made the playoffs every year, have won 6 series, have been to the conference final twice and are about to play in the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in 18 years.

And hey, some of what he says is correct. The Oilers were out of the playoffs when the team sacked Chiarelli (who holds huge responsibility for the terrible finish to 2018 and 2019). And Holland DID add Ekholm and Hyman who are both big contributors.

But this team should have been competitive in most of the last 5 years, and Holland's moves were a big part of the reason that they have not been. Even this year, he fumbled again and again and to look at just the trade deadline alone you can see the difference:

Vancouver Canucks:

Dallas Stars:

Florida Panthers:

Edmonton Oilers:
Sam Carrick

We paid more, to get less than other teams we're facing. And Henrique has been fine...I don't have any real complaint with the player, but it's not like Holland did everything that could be done to give us the best chance to win this year.

If we win the Cup, it's on McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, Nuge, Skinner, etc. Holland's share of the credit should be minimal and certainly he shouldn't be held up as some amazing builder here...he's been overall bad.

Miller was clearly perplexed to find himself assailed by Oilers fans with no love for Holland after his message...people didn't even bother to comment on Panicky Pete Chiarelli...

Applauding Chiarelli (and Holland) for this Finals appearance is like praising Mr. Magoo for great vision because he always gets where he intends by the end of the episode.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835661 is a reply to message #835660 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 13:07

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 June 2024 13:43

Quote:

Gord Miller 🌻🇺🇦
@GMillerTSN

Vancouver Canucks:

Dallas Stars:

Florida Panthers:

Edmonton Oilers:
Sam Carrick

Applauding Chiarelli (and Holland) for this Finals appearance is like praising Mr. Magoo for great vision because he always gets where he intends by the end of the episode.

Chia would have traded Bouch by now. Probably Skinner as well. Likely would have an extra 6M worth of buyouts on the books.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835669 is a reply to message #835660 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 05 June 2024 13:07

Gregor was at this yesterday too. Had an interview allowing Holland to brag up a lot of what he has done ("Fortunately, I traded Lucic for Neal, so we could buy out Neal which allowed us to afford Hyman!" may be my favourite bit of revisionism in the piece. I also loved all the parts where he preached the importance of depth and then talked up signing guys like Josh Archibald and Klim Kostin). Then Gregor banged away on twitter about how Old Dutch's leadership has made the Oilers one of the premier teams in the league over his time here.

They really are all masters at setting the bar incredibly low.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835670 is a reply to message #835621 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 June 2024 17:13

I stopped crapping on Holland for his lack of work, BUT I still have a hard time giving him too much credit for Hyman. He didn't turn him away, but, from everything we've heard, Hyman choose Edmonton all by himself.

No different than Kane and Perry. Kane pretty well had no where else to go and I'm not sure too many other teams were lining up to get Perry earlier this year either.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835675 is a reply to message #835670 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 10:44

I stopped crapping on Holland for his lack of work, BUT I still have a hard time giving him too much credit for Hyman. He didn't turn him away, but, from everything we've heard, Hyman choose Edmonton all by himself.

No different than Kane and Perry. Kane pretty well had no where else to go and I'm not sure too many other teams were lining up to get Perry earlier this year either.

Holland being highest bidder for a hyped UFA is definitely just his thing. he sank the red wings doing the same, and unfortunately never hit a Hyman. If you just keep high bidding though, eventually you get a hit! He shouldn't be bragging about Lucic/Neal as why he could afford Hyman. He should be thanking Markstrom for not taking his highest bid the summer before :)

Kane/Perry were desperation moves to make up for his run of weak GMing. He's one of the only guys willing to do it partially because he's one of the only guys that is so desperate to try to add something to our lineup any way possible, any mental blocks because of morals/decency out the window.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835677 is a reply to message #835675 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 15:06

Holland being highest bidder for a hyped UFA is definitely just his thing. he sank the red wings doing the same, and unfortunately never hit a Hyman. If you just keep high bidding though, eventually you get a hit! He shouldn't be bragging about Lucic/Neal as why he could afford Hyman. He should be thanking Markstrom for not taking his highest bid the summer before :)

Kane/Perry were desperation moves to make up for his run of weak GMing. He's one of the only guys willing to do it partially because he's one of the only guys that is so desperate to try to add something to our lineup any way possible, any mental blocks because of morals/decency out the window.

I think he could have done more up to this point - his excuse when he got here was he was handcuffed by Chiarelli's mess, and as soon as he got some space he pissed it all away.

His failures IMO: Not addressing goaltending a few years ago. Running Smith and Koskinen 4 years in a row was absolutely ridiculous. Not singing Bouchard to a longer deal. Nurse's contract.

I am happy he finally started using draft picks while we are in a win now mode to try to bolster the team. Ekholm last year was obviously a great addition (though the 4% retention was lame). A 1st for Henrique this year? Pretty expensive compared to the rest of the market IMO - looking at the other returns for 1st round picks, Henrique is a bit underwhelming, but he definitely is a welcome addition. If we win the Cup, this turns into a homerun (I think he is a big part of this roster right now)

The really good deals - well Hyman is being lauded as arguably the greatest UFA signings in history. Both in terms of fit and cap hit, he was a grand slam. Way better than I expected. Extending RNH at his number also a huge win IMO. A 100+ point season, over 1PPG in these playoffs, and playing some of the best end to end hockey in his career.

So I think he could have done better, but we've had worse than him.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835680 is a reply to message #835677 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 12:51

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 15:06

I think he could have done more up to this point - his excuse when he got here was he was handcuffed by Chiarelli's mess, and as soon as he got some space he pissed it all away.

His failures IMO: Not addressing goaltending a few years ago. Running Smith and Koskinen 4 years in a row was absolutely ridiculous. Not singing Bouchard to a longer deal. Nurse's contract.

I am happy he finally started using draft picks while we are in a win now mode to try to bolster the team. Ekholm last year was obviously a great addition (though the 4% retention was lame). A 1st for Henrique this year? Pretty expensive compared to the rest of the market IMO - looking at the other returns for 1st round picks, Henrique is a bit underwhelming, but he definitely is a welcome addition. If we win the Cup, this turns into a homerun (I think he is a big part of this roster right now)

The really good deals - well Hyman is being lauded as arguably the greatest UFA signings in history. Both in terms of fit and cap hit, he was a grand slam. Way better than I expected. Extending RNH at his number also a huge win IMO. A 100+ point season, over 1PPG in these playoffs, and playing some of the best end to end hockey in his career.

So I think he could have done better, but we've had worse than him.

That's a tallest midget competition there. He's had more going for the team than any of the prior 3 GMs at the point where he took it over.

I think my biggest issue with Holland is the complete lack of urgency. He failed to ever take advantage of cap games that other teams have successfully pioneered. He sure didn't ever do anything innovative himself.

And did he ever really grab the bull by the horns and push to take this team to the Finals?

Well, let's look at the tape:

2020 Trade Deadline:
Oilers
- acquired Tyler Ennis for 5th rd pick
- Mike Green for Brodziak & cond'l 4th rd pick
- Athanasiou for Gagner & two 2nd rd picks
Lightning
- Blake Coleman for 1st rd pick
- Barclay Goodrow for 1st rd pick
Stars
- none

Oilers
- Kulikov for 4th rd pick
Lightning
- David Savard for 1st & 4th rd picks
Canadiens
- Eric Staal for 3rd & 5th rd picks
- Jon Merrill for H. Verbeek & 5th rd pick
- Erik Gustafsson for 7th rd pick

Oilers
- Kulak for Lagesson, 2nd rd & 7th rd picks
- Brassard for 4th rd picks
Avalanche
- Josh Manson for Helleson & 2nd round pick
- Nico Sturm for Jost
- Artturi Lehkonen for Barron & 2nd rd pick
- Cogliano for 5th rd pick
Lightning
- Brandon Hagel & two 4th rd picks for Raddysh, Katchouk & two 1st rd picks.
- Riley Nash for futures

Oilers
- Ekholm for Barrie, Schaefer, 1st & 4th rd picks
- Bjugstad for Kesselring & 3rd rd pick
Golden Knights
- Ivan Barbashev for Zach Dean
- Jonathan Quick for Hutchinson & 7th rd pick
- Blueger for Diliberatore & 3rd rd pick
Panthers
- none

Oilers
- Adam Henrique & Sam Carrick for 1st, 4th & Conditional 5th picks
- Troy Stecher & 7th rd pick for 4th rd pick
Panthers
- Tarasenko for 3rd & 4th rd picks
- Okposo for Sjalin & 7th rd pick
- Magnus Hellberg for Waeber & 7th rd pick

Generally, we've got less while paying more in trade deadline trades during the Ken Holland era. It's worth noting too, that as much as we've claimed cap challenges are part of the reason for that, Tampa Bay and Vegas had much more severe challenges to weather and managed to add significant pieces. Colorado was pretty tight to the cap and added FOUR pieces, all of whom played significant roles in their Cup win (and their sweep of the Oilers).

I mean, that's without even getting in to a lot of the other things those teams did to make themselves real contenders through this period. The fact is, Holland did the bare minimum and got paid handsomely for it, so people shouldn't really see this as vindication for him and all the slings and arrows he's had to take from people like me who just can't see his true quality and how perfect this plan of his was.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835558 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Sun, 02 June 2024 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Feels surreal, it was a lifetime ago when we went to Game 7 in 2006.

That being said I hate playing Tkachuk and it would be devastating to lose in the Finals.

Cup or Bust!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835560 is a reply to message #835558 ]
Sun, 02 June 2024 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

A healthy Kane would be huge for the oilers. He will go after tkachuk and get in his head.. Hopefully 6 days is enough for a bunch of guys to get right.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835561 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Sun, 02 June 2024 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski

Oilers in six

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPHahkOXgAA3g-H?format=jpg&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835563 is a reply to message #835561 ]
Sun, 02 June 2024 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

It doesn't matter how they won. THEY WON!!!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835567 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Sun, 02 June 2024 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Not how any of would have drawn this win up, eh? Passive on the attack since the 2nd goal. Zero chance the Oilers could have won a similar game in the McDavid era until this year and these playoffs.

So happy for my fellow fans young and old to get here again, hope they can seal the deal with 4 more W's. Here we are again, 18 years in the making, here we go, bring the Cup home, boys!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835575 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Sun, 02 June 2024 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Full circle. We drafted McDavid in Florida (I was there and was interviewed by Gene Principe - Long story for another day), and now we return to finish the story.

LFG!!!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835578 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Sun, 02 June 2024 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

..https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SYxcQ.gif

[Updated on: Sun, 02 June 2024 23:48]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835580 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/SYxey.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835581 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

LEGEND

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/SYHBO.gif

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2024 03:52]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835582 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SYHOL.gif

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2024 03:35]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835583 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/SYHQh.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835584 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

What a crowd! 👍🏻

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/SYHFK.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835589 is a reply to message #835584 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 03 June 2024 02:55

What a crowd! 👍🏻

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/SYHFK.gif

I thought the Oilers, except Skinner looked really nervous and played most of the game not to lose. When a team does that, generally the other team keeps coming at you. So I thought that crowd played a massive factor in the game willing the team to win.

That being said, I thought the Oilers defensive game really limited the Stars high danger chances given how many shots they had.

With all that high end players and how they played for years, I never thought the strength of the team which takes them to the finals would be in not particular order:
- Goaltending
- PK
- Defense.

This team can score when needed. Their PP is unmatched and at times unstoppable and generally the only reason their PP doesn't score is if the miss the net, hit a post or don't execute. But they can defend!! At times they can totally lock down a game and not allow the opposition anything. When they don't completely lock it down, they bend but don't break way more times than not. Plus they appear to have a goalie more than capable of stealing games when needed.

I don't know who decided to let Woody go and hire Knoblauch but whoever did, deserves a ton of credit. Knoblaugh has been unbelievable He's pushing the right buttons just about every time. He has mssive balls with his lineup changes and he taught/convinced the Oilers players to play defense. The players have talked for YEARS about how they need to improve defensively but it never happened. It finally did and look at the results. I liked Woody but no chance in hell they are in the finals if he was still behind the bench.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2024 08:05]

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835590 is a reply to message #835589 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Overall the high danger chances were 11-7 for Dallas. Which looks totally different from any other stat, but also does make sense for ppl that watched the game. Dallas got 1 high danger chance in 6 mins of PP time. Our PK and their PP were a huge difference in the series. And last night, considering high danger chances were close, we had the best chance of them all, the absolute something out of nothing game breaking goal by McDavid.

Glad Broberg finally looks like he achieved overripe status. I wasn't at all surprised either that Broberg was the only positive possession player for us last night based on how good he looked all night long. It's like we got to add another Kulak. So every pair now has a player that can skate and make a pass. When you have all of Nurse/Ceci/Vinny in the lineup, you are forced to have at least 1 pair that is weak at something in our end, usually being able to make passes for controlled breakouts (none of Nurse/Ceci/Vinny are good at that). Seemed nuts to put Nurse/Kulak together, but I think that may actually have been the best player to play with Nurse now. Kudos to Knob trying it. It was not an obvious fix and not something tried all year long, but it has worked.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2024 08:43]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835591 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Star Trek Enterprise has a great intro and it encapsulates the Oilers and their will to stay in the game, when I lost faith, they proved me wrong, and how I have enjoyed being wrong.

When the Oilers were last in the league I turned off the Oilers refusing to let them hurt me again with a lacklustre effort and broken dreams, and throughout this playoffs I watched but with a side eye slant thinking "Oh here were go, cue the collapse" The western final Game 3 was a horrible, I lost faith and kept losing faith as the games moved forward.

The prove me wrong again. How sweet it is to feel this sense of, "I know nothing!" No one knows how the next games are going to go but what a ride it will be.

Fugly win, but to win in these playoffs you have to win games you shouldn't. I wasn't nervous when Dallas scored, but holy clench in the last 6 or so minutes.

I joined this board just after the Pronger stuff in 2006, back when Twitter wasn't a thing, the blue mile is where people went nuts and ladies showed their assets (although I did see an incident in Rogers where someone exposed herself,), and I needed a venue to talk about the Oilers and this lovely site was here for me. 18 years ago, and a few of you are still here. I'm overcome by the users of this welcoming site, both old and new and I'm thankful to MJ who continues this on.

The decade of darkness, the defending and tearing down of Pat Quinn, Hitchock, Eakins, Hall, Omark, Paajarvi, Eberle and I was a season ticket holder from 2007 to 2020 (when the pandemic hit), I had lots of personal changes, got a wonderful little one and lots of people sadly have left this earth.

This run has made me introspective, and I'm actually cherishing the Oilers wins one by one proving me wrong time and time again, keep doing it.

Too all of you on this forum, thanks for being here. (even you RD hehehehe)

Let's Go Oilers clapping clapping... clapping clapping clapping

LFG.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835671 is a reply to message #835591 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

We are in the cup finals with a legit chance at winning. It wasn't won by fluke, it wasn't won by McD scoring insane amount of points every game, the team is legit good. Yet people still feel the need to dump on the GM rather than be thrilled the team made it. WOW. Just WOW.

I don't know why I am surprised this is happening but I am. Is what it is I guess for some fans.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835673 is a reply to message #835671 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 12:51

We are in the cup finals with a legit chance at winning. It wasn't won by fluke, it wasn't won by McD scoring insane amount of points every game, the team is legit good. Yet people still feel the need to dump on the GM rather than be thrilled the team made it. WOW. Just WOW.

I don't know why I am surprised this is happening but I am. Is what it is I guess for some fans.

There is a whole week off with nothing else to talk about.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835674 is a reply to message #835673 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 11:58

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 12:51

There is a whole week off with nothing else to talk about.

I guess so.

He's made some mistakes I am not happy about. But the team he helped build is in the finals I assumed people would be over the moon happy. Apparently not.

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835678 is a reply to message #835671 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 10:51

Better that we skewer the GM than some of the players.

I think everyone would be fine with ignoring Holland, if it were not for media guys trying to glorify him and overstate his contributions to getting us to this point.

Once those are brought up, I think it's pretty fair to critique that - after all, he's been the highest paid GM in the league and had McDavid and Draisaitl in their primes and never won a game past the second round until this year.

The goaltending and the depth have been weak points for virtually all years, and he's failed to add the pieces needed to get the group over the hump. Even this year, he's relied entirely on the top guys going supernova in order to get us here.

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835682 is a reply to message #835678 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 15:34 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 13:49

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 June 2024 10:51

Better that we skewer the GM than some of the players.

I think everyone would be fine with ignoring Holland, if it were not for media guys trying to glorify him and overstate his contributions to getting us to this point.

Once those are brought up, I think it's pretty fair to critique that - after all, he's been the highest paid GM in the league and had McDavid and Draisaitl in their primes and never won a game past the second round until this year.

The goaltending and the depth have been weak points for virtually all years, and he's failed to add the pieces needed to get the group over the hump. Even this year, he's relied entirely on the top guys going supernova in order to get us here.

Totally serious saying that if Knob didn't take the risk to play Kulak on the right side, and just stuck with the RHD group Holland left him and forced Ceci or Vinny with Nurse the rest of the way vs Dallas, we very likely would be out right now.

If Holland just stuck with Woody and wasn't forced to take Knob on by Jackson, we may not have even made the playoffs.

It's remarkable what's been done this year to get around management incompetence. I really hope it can keep going one more round!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835600 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

The Oilers are so confident with their PK, they deciding to play the entire game that way!

It wasn't pretty, but the win is what matters.

Now they need to get ready to play Florida. I will be happy with a split after the first two games. The early part of each series has been close to a toss up, but KK seems to find ways to make the Oilers better as the series goes on.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835611 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Mon, 03 June 2024 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

More entertaining stats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPMP0BYXMAAzAv4?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://i.ibb.co/0YVQj7C/Screenshot-20240603-201442-copy-1280x624-copy-640x312.png

Make it 5 Stu!

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2024 20:20]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835614 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Lucky enough to have seen all the championships, though father time has robbed me of a lot of the memories.

For nine years I've been trying to brainwash my son into being an Oilers fan. We're supposed to be going to Game 5. He's already agreed to wear his McDavid jersey. If this doesn't do it, nothing will.

What happened to all of my messages? lol (I guess it's been awhile) Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835616 is a reply to message #835614 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Good to hear. I have fortunately been successful in turning my son to the light side of the force (he was formerly a Red Wings fan)

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835617 is a reply to message #835616 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

I did the same thing with two of my three daughters, one of them has no interest in NHL hockey but has become a big fan of going to Ice Dog games with me (OHL). The key for me to get them hooked when they were little was to let them stay up late to watch the Oilers hockey game with me only if they would wear something Oilers (a jersey, t-shirt, hat, etc...) during the game. It definitely helped being in the eastern time zone so they were super excited to stay up past their bed time. I also used to gaslight them by saying that the game was over at the end of the first period when they were too young to know better. It meant I had some explaining to do when they went to bed with the Oilers leading after the first thinking they won the game and then finding out in the morning that they lost. I usually just attributed that to them being up so late that they must have been dreaming about the win or that they just remembered wrong they were so tired.

I am not saying lying to your kids is a good idea, but I won't complain about the results since the two of them (age 14 and 18) love to watch most games with me still to this day. My oldest was away at Uni for most of the season so we didn't get to watch too much together (it has been great to have her home for the summer) but it was still something we texted and talked about.

I know this will make me sound like an old man (I guess I am) but, the hockey (and specifically the Oilers) has been the greatest connection between my daughters and I. We can and do talk about so many things but during those years when teenage girls tend to pull away from their parents (and especially their dad), we have maintained a love for the team and it has meant that communication channels have always remained open.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835618 is a reply to message #835614 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Tue, 04 June 2024 05:59

Lucky enough to have seen all the championships, though father time has robbed me of a lot of the memories.

For nine years I've been trying to brainwash my son into being an Oilers fan. We're supposed to be going to Game 5. He's already agreed to wear his McDavid jersey. If this doesn't do it, nothing will.

I think we're similar vintage. I was 7 when the Oilers won the first Cup, so remember them all, although we probably took them a little for granted for a while there...It's nice to be back in the Finals again.

Mike mentioned to me yesterday that the time since our last appearance in 2006 (18 years) is longer than the time from 1990-2006 (just 16). That's pretty crazy. It means that there's this large segment of the fanbase for who even 2006 is a distant memory if that. Most of my team at work was too young to really be part of the party.

My kids were born years after 2006, so this is their first time ever seeing us here. Picking my 11 year up the other day, she actually asked to have the Oilers talk left on the radio! My
five year old has been dressing in blue and orange a lot, and even chose those colours for her nails this week. It's funny how much of a difference a long run makes in building fans...

#FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835628 is a reply to message #835516 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1798098106245885961

Neat note from Edmonton’s series-clinching win over Dallas:

Fans set a new merchandise sales record for any Stanley Cup playoff game (first three rounds).

Working on the numbers, but one of Vancouver’s second-round home games was the previous standard — this one came in 13 per cent higher. 

Big night.

Just another thing for nucks fans to complain about....

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835629 is a reply to message #835628 ]
Tue, 04 June 2024 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Speaking of merch, I see that the authentic sweaters with the cup patch are now on sale down here at Fanatics.... Do I finally pull the trigger?

(I have bad luck with jerseys and haven't gotten one since my Signed Comrie one back in the day...)

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835663 is a reply to message #835629 ]
Wed, 05 June 2024 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Come on Saturday !

Re: Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #835667 is a reply to message #835663 ]
Thu, 06 June 2024 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeZoE  is currently offline DeZoE

No Cups

It’s taking forever!

I'm not wearing pants...

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #1)
Next Topic:WCF- EDM (PAC 2) vs. DAL (CEN 1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca