Oilers » Oilers recall Jones
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers recall Jones [message #747119 is a reply to message #747116 ]
Tue, 19 November 2019 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2019 10:02

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 November 2019 08:48

I disagree with you a bit on being able to assess talent. You are 100% correct, they screwed up on Gustafsson, they should have signed him. But the organization recognized that he had potential and drafted he. He was a 4th rounder. They recognized Bear and Jones were talents that were drafted later. They recognized that Marion who was a 6th round pick had the potential. So you can't say they don't recognize talent especially in the 5 years.

Where I definitely disagree on is giving them trouble with Mario. The guy wasn't going to sign in Edmonton. He said it. He's an American, he wanted to play in an American city. The guy wasn't coming here so what do you expect them to do.

When it comes to Nurse, other than McDavid and Leon, there should be no player on the Oilers that is untouchable. If a great trade comes to you that helps make you better, you trade him. But in my opinion, there are not a lot of trade scenarios where I see you winning a Nurse trade. Given his skill set and the type of player he is i.e mean, nasty, physical guy that can really skate, play in all situations, bring some offense, play big minutes and defend, that is a guy that every team would love to have but I don't think he scores enough points to give you the higher end player you should get back for him. You aren't getting a line driving, all around forward that is a big time scorer. You are going to get a good, complimentary player who puts up around 20 goals and 50 pts, probably doesn't play in all situations and probably is invisible on a lot of nights. a.k.a, another Eberle type. The Oilers could use a second line player for sure. But while you get that complimentary player, you are giving up a 22+ min dman that put ups 30+ pts, plays in all situations, beats the hell out of people and skates like the wind. It's not worth is in my opinion

The team didn't offer Gustafsson a contract. He signed as a free agent and has 96 points in 174 NHL games since. As a comparison point, Nurse has 97 points in 301 NHL games. That's a massive miss - it was a great fourth round pick, but in the years that followed, the Oilers didn't realize what they had in hand.

Marino was traded this summer and immediately stepped directly in to the NHL where he has 5 points in 18 NHL games. That means he's valuable and the Penguins did well to acquire him. The Oilers had limited space for additional defencemen, but they only got a 6th round pick for him - which suggests they believed he was worse than a lot of the other players they had in the system. Again, this is a miss. The Penguins did better at assessing the value of this player than the Oilers did - despite the fact he was Oilers property.

I think there's lots of GMs in the league who over-value nastiness, so Nurse likely can get us a lot back, especially coming off a 41 point season. He's trending slightly below that but maybe you can convince a team that that's Klefbom's fault for being healthy and taking PP time away from #25. I think outside of McDavid and Draisaitl, Nurse might get the largest haul in a trade over any other Oilers player. I do think we could get a top six winger for him, and maybe an add on top of that given that defence are generally more valuable than forwards.

Depending on contract of the players getting back, you could get a lot - for example, with Hall on an expiring deal, I think you could get him straight across for Nurse with no issue - although UFA contracts scare me, so I might be wanting permission to talk extension with Hall before that trade were to happen...

If you can get a haul for Nurse, then as I said no player other than McDavid or Leon is untouchable. I just question if you can get a haul for him. To me, the Devils got a Hall (I realize I am using the incorrect word) for Larsson. The problem is, I don't see a Chia out there incharge who's stupid enough to make a trade like that. Nurse is a 24 yr old, hasn't even hit his prime as a dman, top 3, skate like the wind, pretty good all around dman who's tough as nails. And he's probably going to be that guy for the next 8 yrs minimum. Who also happens to be the roommate of one of the top 5 players in the league in Leon and one of the best buddies of your franchise player in McDavid. So if you are going to trade Nurse, you better get one hell of a lot for him because not only are you going to be trading a dman who's just coming into his own and who you haven't even gotten his best years yet, you will be dramatically upsetting your 2 best players.

So if that happens, while McDavid and Leon won't be happy to lose a friend, they better both go "While we will miss Darnell, holy crap, we got THAT MUCH for him!!" And the team better be instantly a lot better. I really have my doubts you can get that guy.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Oilers recall Jones
By: Goose on Wed, 13 November 2019 16:30
Read Message Re: Oilers recall Jones
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 13 November 2019 16:34
By: Kr55 on Wed, 13 November 2019 16:36
By: overdue on Wed, 13 November 2019 18:35
By: Skookum Jim on Wed, 13 November 2019 19:10
By: GabbyDugan on Wed, 13 November 2019 20:11
By: NZ Oiler Fan on Thu, 14 November 2019 10:10
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 14 November 2019 10:34
By: Goose on Thu, 14 November 2019 10:52
By: Kr55 on Thu, 14 November 2019 11:00
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 14 November 2019 11:02
By: Goose on Thu, 14 November 2019 12:51
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 14 November 2019 13:16
By: Goose on Thu, 14 November 2019 14:24
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 14 November 2019 14:38
By: Goose on Thu, 14 November 2019 15:08
By: Adam on Tue, 19 November 2019 08:10
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 19 November 2019 08:48
By: CrudeRemarks on Tue, 19 November 2019 09:15
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 19 November 2019 09:31
By: Adam on Tue, 19 November 2019 10:02
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 19 November 2019 10:30
By: PlusOne on Tue, 19 November 2019 13:49
By: CrudeRemarks on Tue, 19 November 2019 13:52
By: PlusOne on Tue, 19 November 2019 19:57
By: GabbyDugan on Thu, 14 November 2019 14:00
By: Kr55 on Thu, 14 November 2019 14:03
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 14 November 2019 14:13
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 14 November 2019 14:10
By: Kr55 on Tue, 03 December 2019 16:34
By: Adam on Tue, 03 December 2019 17:58
By: Kr55 on Tue, 03 December 2019 22:40
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 04 December 2019 09:40
By: Kr55 on Mon, 09 December 2019 11:49
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 09 December 2019 11:57
By: CrudeRemarks on Mon, 09 December 2019 13:12
By: RDOilerfan on Mon, 09 December 2019 13:28
By: Oscargasm on Mon, 09 December 2019 18:09
By: Kr55 on Mon, 09 December 2019 19:13
By: CrudeRemarks on Mon, 09 December 2019 19:29
By: Oscargasm on Mon, 09 December 2019 19:35

Previous Topic:GDT: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32)
Next Topic:Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca