This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Gambardella Recalled
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729237 is a reply to message #729235 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 12:14

Adam wrote on Wed, 30 January 2019 17:30

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 30 January 2019 15:54

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 30 January 2019 12:12

Gambardella having a nice run in Bakersfield since he was sent back there by the Oilers.

https://theahl.com/gambardella-ahl-player-of-the-week

"Last Monday, Gambardella scored the overtime winner to lift Bakersfield to a 6-5 victory at San Jose. He netted the game-winning goal again on Wednesday and added an assist as the Condors defeated Colorado, 7-2, and he assisted on the tiebreaking score in Bakersfield’s 3-1 win at Tucson on Friday. Gambardella scored two more goals in another 3-1 win in Tucson on Saturday before traveling across the country to participate in the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield in Springfield, Mass."

Gambardella seems like a decent guy and a pretty fair hockey player. I don't know if he will ever see the NHL again, but it's good to see a Condor get some recognition.

I guess lost among the depressing Oilers news is that the Bakersfield Condors have won 8 in a row. Tyler Benson is healthy and having a great season, leading the team in scoring. I think in a couple of years marinating in the AHL he could be a player, but I see him being called up too soon as per usual. We will see if Bobby Nick sticks to the developing in the minors plan.

Want the bad news now? Benson isn't scoring at a rate that should make anyone think he's a top-6 player in the NHL. 34 points in 42 games isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about.

Marody, just one year older and with 32 points in 32 games, looks to be a much better bet at this point, although still not a sure thing.

Gambardella also out-performing Benson on points per game, although since he's 4 years older, I don't give him as much room to improve. Still, could be a fourth liner at some point on a team who doesn't think fourth liners should all look like linebackers...

I think my hope for Benson is to kind of fill that 3C role eventually, solid defensively, two-way player who can put up some points. Basically a Strome-type.

The lack of it on the Oilers right now does show that this is a pretty valuable contribution and certainly not a bad outcome for a second round pick. I'm not seeing the bad news, personally.

Ryan Strome scored 49 points in 37 AHL games at the same age as Benson is. He was tracking much higher.

It's not terrible news, but this is a player who we have heard those around the organization bang the drum about as a key prospect - and increasingly, it looks like that is not the case. He's still a prospect, still can be an NHLer...but a depth guy is all anyone should be hoping for at this point with Benson.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Gambardella Recalled
By: Shad1216 on Sun, 30 December 2018 19:07
Read Message Re: Gambardella Recalled
By: WhoreableGuy on Sun, 30 December 2018 21:53
By: GabbyDugan on Wed, 30 January 2019 12:12
By: WhoreableGuy on Wed, 30 January 2019 15:54
By: Adam on Wed, 30 January 2019 17:30
By: mightyreasoner on Thu, 31 January 2019 12:14
By: Adam on Thu, 31 January 2019 12:55
By: Steve on Thu, 31 January 2019 14:29
By: overdue on Thu, 31 January 2019 18:19
By: Adam on Thu, 31 January 2019 18:31
By: smyth260 on Fri, 01 February 2019 15:46
By: Adam on Fri, 01 February 2019 16:00
By: GabbyDugan on Fri, 01 February 2019 17:06
By: Adam on Fri, 01 February 2019 17:25
By: Skookum Jim on Thu, 31 January 2019 18:46

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #51)
Next Topic:Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler!
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca