Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Random Thoughts [message #605474 is a reply to message #605472 ]
Wed, 14 August 2013 13:39
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Teammate Avry wrote on Wed, 14 August 2013 13:25

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 14 August 2013 12:19

Teammate Avry wrote on Wed, 14 August 2013 00:40

Speaking of the Worlds, I still can't believe Bolt ran 9.77 in the rain in the 100M!! Wow icon_eek

Remarkable athlete, but I think with the recent revelations in track involving countryman Asafa Powell, Bolt's achievements are going to get tainted at least somewhat. I WANT to believe that Bolt is clean, but I don't think I'm alone in having that little subconscious voice that's saying "<cough>ROIDS<cough>".

Sucks for Jamaican track when I heard that Asafa tested positive for a banned substance, but Bolt, I honestly don't know, watching his strides and being 6'5 I think he's just an athletic freak.

It sucks how we can't just enjoy athletic feats anymore without thinking in the back of our minds "ok there's no way this is on the level."

I can't imagine how the sports world would have reacted if Bo Jackson came onto the sports scene in 2013.

I would like to give people the benefit of the doubt. That's why I believe there should be a shift in the penalties for getting caught on PEDs. People use them because they believe they're going to run a risk of a slap on the wrist...maybe they can't compete in track meets for a couple years, maybe they miss half a season of baseball. But the rewards are large - maybe you win Olympic Gold, maybe you get a batting title, maybe you just get a seven-figure salary for a few years...

If you're an Olympian, you don't even care if you get caught in the couple years after an Olympics, because you know you'll be re-instated before the next games anyhow and you can run un-tested for a couple years while pumping your body full of every hormone and steroid out there.

So I still propose a devastating punishment - ban them for life...but not just going forward. Retroactively strip them of their accomplishments. If they won a gold medal, take it away. Wipe out all world records. It's harder in team sports, but even so, players are talking about Roger Maris' 61 home runs as a magic mark again anyhow.

I think the penalty has to be stiff enough that people question doing the crime. If there's a risk that nothing you ever done counts, you're going to think about it a lot more than if you're only risking one race at a time.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Peckham a Blackhawk
By: nullterm on Fri, 19 July 2013 19:03
Read Message Re: Peckham a Blackhawk
By: mightyreasoner on Fri, 19 July 2013 19:12
By: Hemmer2Eberle on Fri, 19 July 2013 19:35
By: v4ance on Fri, 19 July 2013 19:40
By: nullterm on Fri, 19 July 2013 20:00
By: Adam on Mon, 22 July 2013 10:01
By: Ragnarok73 on Fri, 02 August 2013 10:37
By: v4ance on Fri, 02 August 2013 10:14
By: Oilerman53 on Fri, 02 August 2013 11:18

Previous Topic:Bouwmeester extended
Next Topic:Hawks extend Quenneville to 2016-17
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca