F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Pens clean house
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pens clean house [message #820927]
Fri, 14 April 2023 09:25 Go to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Not surprising really - they've been a mess since Hextall took over. Nice parting gift he left them with extensions to aging, past their due date vets too.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/penguins-fire-president-of-hockey-ope rations-brian-burke-gm-ron-hextall-1.1945796

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pens clean house [message #820929 is a reply to message #820927 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I guess when you don't make the playoffs after so many years, you feel compelled to fire everyone but on the flip side, what did you expect?

Crosby 35 turns 36 in Aug. Signed 2 more yrs
Malkin 36 turns 37 in July. Signed 3 more yrs.
Carter 38, turns 39 in Jan. Signed for 1 more yr.

Petry 35, turns 36 in Dec. Signed for 2 more yrs
Letang 35, turns 36 in April. Signed for 5 more yrs and he has had 2 strokes.

Go down the list and they are not a young team. I don't know of their system but they have been going for it for a long time so I don't imagine they have a ton of high end prospects because they traded so many picks.

They wanted to keep Crosby, Malkin and Letang as career Pens and I get it but at some point when you have been trying to win for so long and trading away all these picks and prospects to keep in the window, eventually you start to age out. Now they are lucky that Crosby, Malkin and Letang are still playing at a pretty high level but their supporting cast is not where it needs to be thanks to going for it all those years. Whoever gets hired has a pretty difficult job to do.

Re: Pens clean house [message #820960 is a reply to message #820929 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Letang having 2 strokes makes LTIR after 2 years a much easier case.

Re: Pens clean house [message #820939 is a reply to message #820927 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I'm not sure what Ron Hextall has done to deserve any hockey management jobs. His teams are generally bad. He was AGM for a good LA team, but how much did he have to do with that? He managed the AHL squad during those years, from what I can tell but that's a much simpler job. No trades, no cap. You manage with what the parent team gives you and the couple of journeymen that you sign to fill out the roster.

In Philly, his teams missed the playoffs twice out of four years, and got bounced in round 1 the other two times. Now he's presided over the first Penguins miss since Crosby was a rookie.

And here's his trade record:

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ron_Hex tall/277
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ron_Hex tall/311

Not a lot in there to recommend him, is there?

NHL teams love hiring former NHL players to positions that they have no ability to excel at. Hockey teams are by far the worst pro sports league for continuing this rather stupid practice. I really hope when our current sleepy GM finally retires that the team spends some time actually considering what skillset would be ideal and isn't set on hiring another old hockey guy to come in and bumble his way through it hoping we get lucky again.

On the other hand, I hope that every NHL team who fires their GM this summer does go back to that well. Who better to run the Penguins than, say, Chris Kunitz?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pens clean house [message #820947 is a reply to message #820939 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 12:23

I'm not sure what Ron Hextall has done to deserve any hockey management jobs. His teams are generally bad. He was AGM for a good LA team, but how much did he have to do with that? He managed the AHL squad during those years, from what I can tell but that's a much simpler job. No trades, no cap. You manage with what the parent team gives you and the couple of journeymen that you sign to fill out the roster.

In Philly, his teams missed the playoffs twice out of four years, and got bounced in round 1 the other two times. Now he's presided over the first Penguins miss since Crosby was a rookie.

And here's his trade record:

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ron_Hex tall/277
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ron_Hex tall/311

Not a lot in there to recommend him, is there?

NHL teams love hiring former NHL players to positions that they have no ability to excel at. Hockey teams are by far the worst pro sports league for continuing this rather stupid practice. I really hope when our current sleepy GM finally retires that the team spends some time actually considering what skillset would be ideal and isn't set on hiring another old hockey guy to come in and bumble his way through it hoping we get lucky again.

On the other hand, I hope that every NHL team who fires their GM this summer does go back to that well. Who better to run the Penguins than, say, Chris Kunitz?

His Flyers trades don't seem that bad, but some of his Penguins trades have definitely hurt that team. I don't know his history of signings other than the recent Penguins ones, and those are pretty bad. I agree, this really should be the end of his chances in the GM chair, and undoubtedly got more opportunities because he is Ron Hextall. Got to keep in mind too, He is not just Ron Hextall the former NHL goalie, but the Hextall family is like royalty in the NHL, going back to the 1930s.

Re: Pens clean house [message #820950 is a reply to message #820947 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 11:09

the Hextall family is like royalty in the NHL, going back to the 1930s.

What are your thoughts on the Leah Hextall on-bench interviews? They really bug me for some reason and I don't know if it's her or I just think the coaches never say anything and they're pointless.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pens clean house [message #820962 is a reply to message #820950 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 13:19

What are your thoughts on the Leah Hextall on-bench interviews? They really bug me for some reason and I don't know if it's her or I just think the coaches never say anything and they're pointless.

Never cared too much one way or the other. She doesn't annoy me or anything, but if her last name wasn't Hextall I would probably forget who she was.

Re: Pens clean house [message #820966 is a reply to message #820950 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 15:42 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 10:19

she's pointless (as are most on the bench interviews).. but not as bad as Cassie doing PxP... yeesh.. heard her last night on Knights vs. Squids .. brutal.. Broadcast students doing NAIT and SAIT games are more listenable

Regarding Burke getting canned.. looking forward to seeing him and Bieksa on SN doing playoffs.. if it happens, the other panel members (Friedman, Hrudey, McLean) might as well go home for the summer..

[Updated on: Fri, 14 April 2023 15:51]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Flames arena
Next Topic:Ryan O'Reilly, Noel Acciari to Toronto
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca