This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819194]
Mon, 06 March 2023 20:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Buffalo to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819195 is a reply to message #819194 ]
Mon, 06 March 2023 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Good to see the team get back on the winning track after Saturday.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819196 is a reply to message #819195 ]
Mon, 06 March 2023 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Thank god Campbell didn’t start

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819197 is a reply to message #819195 ]
Mon, 06 March 2023 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Offside review is still stupid. Wouldn’t have helped us on the ENG but the Nuge goal getting wiped out for a close offside 45 seconds earlier is bush league. I hate that rule.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819198 is a reply to message #819197 ]
Mon, 06 March 2023 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 March 2023 23:17

Offside review is still stupid. Wouldn’t have helped us on the ENG but the Nuge goal getting wiped out for a close offside 45 seconds earlier is bush league. I hate that rule.

Always made me wonder: If your team goes offside, but then the opposition gets a breakaway and scores, can you challenge for your own team being offside earlier in the play? Play should have been called dead.

Edit: Nice to get a goalie win for a change. Stu was YUUUUUGE tonight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819199 is a reply to message #819198 ]
Mon, 06 March 2023 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 06 March 2023 21:24

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 March 2023 23:17

Always made me wonder: If your team goes offside, but then the opposition gets a breakaway and scores, can you challenge for your own team being offside earlier in the play? Play should have been called dead.

Edit: Nice to get a goalie win for a change. Stu was YUUUUUGE tonight.

Nope, once the puck enters the neutral zone everything resets, so to speak.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819201 is a reply to message #819197 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 March 2023 20:17

There should be a time limit as to how long after an "offside" before it's considered a non factor. I assume the true intent of the rule is puck comes over the line offside and a few seconds later it's in. Not puck comes in, goes into the corner, guys battling for it, potentially gets touched by both sides a few times then eventually is in.

It seems like a lot of the rules have good intent but when someone writes them up, they stop short of completing them.

I like that Buffalo team. They could be real scary really, really soon.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 March 2023 08:20]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819202 is a reply to message #819201 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 March 2023 08:15

There should be a time limit as to how long after an "offside" before it's considered a non factor. I assume the true intent of the rule is puck comes over the line offside and a few seconds later it's in. Not puck comes in, goes into the corner, guys battling for it, potentially gets touched by both sides a few times then eventually is in.

It seems like a lot of the rules have good intent but when someone writes them up, they stop short of completing them.

Imagine the reviews on TV when they're running a stop watch but saying "the control room has access to far more angles AND accurate timing devices". I can't wait. We have to get it right, right?

Either we accept the fallibility of referees or we an inherently annoying review process. We've made our choice. Fortunately, as Oilers fans, we're conditioned to be annoyed while watching hockey.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819203 is a reply to message #819202 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 March 2023 08:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 March 2023 08:15

Imagine the reviews on TV when they're running a stop watch but saying "the control room has access to far more angles AND accurate timing devices". I can't wait. We have to get it right, right?

Either we accept the fallibility of referees or we an inherently annoying review process. We've made our choice. Fortunately, as Oilers fans, we're conditioned to be annoyed while watching hockey.

I don't have a ton of problem with wanting to get it right. I am not big of wanting to get the offside that is barely an inch but sometimes the guy is quite a bit and it gets missed so I would like those picked up. But at the same time if they went back to the old ways and just didn't review them at all, I wouldn't lose sleep at night.

A lot of the calls wouldn't even have to have a review and they wouldn't involve a stop watch. You know exactly when the goal is scored. So back it up to when the puck crosses the line. If you set a limit and you are past that time when the puck crossed the line, case closed. If the other team has had enough time to make a play on the puck or man, then the offside doesn't matter anymore. There should not be an indefinite amount of time like there is where a team can back it up like they can now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819221 is a reply to message #819202 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Another ridiculous offside review in the Flames game as the NHL doubles down on the Makar ruling. This one goes the other way but for the same reasons - Wild player has control but it leaves his stick briefly, negating his control and making the play off-side.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819232 is a reply to message #819221 ]
Wed, 08 March 2023 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 March 2023 21:01

Another ridiculous offside review in the Flames game as the NHL doubles down on the Makar ruling. This one goes the other way but for the same reasons - Wild player has control but it leaves his stick briefly, negating his control and making the play off-side.

The rules are what they feeling like they should be on any given night. I seen one goal cant "find the clip" where a Washington player took a pass three feet outside the line while he was in the zone and brought the puck in and scored and it was a good goal. No consistency. Id say they were corrupt if they weren't so incompetent.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819204 is a reply to message #819194 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Snake bit Yamo last night...two whiffs on open nets and that "offside call" which negated Nuge's goal off a sweet dish from Drai.

Seemed like a game with many odd bounces and we've seen many of these go AGAINST the Oilers....good to benefit off of this one.

Let's finish the road trip strong and embrace not having to leave the mountain/pacific timezones again for remainder of the regular season.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 March 2023 09:01]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819211 is a reply to message #819204 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Last month the Oilers were gifted by Gary the softest 2 week schedule in NHL history and, to their credit, they made a lot of hay while the sun was shining going 12-1-5 between the LA loss and the 2nd CBJ loss. That streak included very good wins against VGK, Seattle, TB, and Pitt. There was some concern that the Feb / March schedule would not be as kind. The good news is the Oilers are mostly doing alright.

Following the baffling second loss to CBJ they lost but played well against the Bruins, beat the snot out of Toronto, played one good game and split against the Jets, and played well and won against the Buffalo Tages. 3-3 is alright considering 2 of those losses are … goalie related.

Over the next two weeks I suspect we'll learn a lot about the post-deadline Oilers and if they're a contender. Their next five games are against 4 playoff teams (Boston, Toronto, Dallas, and Seattle) and the fringe Senators, who are playing well right now.

After the game next Saturday against the playoff bound Kraken (which feels weird) the Oilers enter the butter soft southwest only portion of the season where nothing of value will be learned as 9 of 13 games will be against California or Arizona based teams. Plus 2 against VGK, 1 Colorado, and a bonus Dallas game.

The next two weeks should be very interesting.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819212 is a reply to message #819211 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If the Oilers get any kind of goaltending, they can go toe to toe with anyone. Even if they don't get great goaltending, they can win games. They are doing this without Kane who in my opinion is a huge guy for them both on and off the ice. Once he is back which is any day now, I think we will see this team truly take off.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819218 is a reply to message #819212 ]
Tue, 07 March 2023 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't think the Oilers are capable of either getting good goaltending over a longer term or creating the conditions necessary for good goaltending over a longer term because of obvious systemic and player procurement problems that will cause them to wither against any of the teams that should be considered strong competitors for the cup. Ekholm could theoretically solve this. Kane certainly does not solve the problem, he can only make the Oilers strength better a time when scoring and powerplay matter less.

But I do look forward to people thinking that going 8-3-2 in their last 13 games means they have a chance.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819233 is a reply to message #819218 ]
Wed, 08 March 2023 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 March 2023 15:08

I don't think the Oilers are capable of either getting good goaltending over a longer term or creating the conditions necessary for good goaltending over a longer term because of obvious systemic and player procurement problems that will cause them to wither against any of the teams that should be considered strong competitors for the cup. Ekholm could theoretically solve this. Kane certainly does not solve the problem, he can only make the Oilers strength better a time when scoring and powerplay matter less.

But I do look forward to people thinking that going 8-3-2 in their last 13 games means they have a chance.

How many goalies have had great seasons followed up by complete busts. Look at Markstrom in Calgary for example. People here in southern AB bag on him as bad as we do Campbell. I think the best policy is not to sign goalies to long term deals of any sort. Its such a volatile position. Further thought what would it look like if a team only signed players to one year deals. They could spend to the max cap every season. The players would probably make more in salary on those deals because long term isn't a consideration. It would be interesting I think.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 March 2023 01:06]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #65) [message #819239 is a reply to message #819233 ]
Thu, 09 March 2023 09:07 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Wed, 08 March 2023 22:16

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 March 2023 15:08

How many goalies have had great seasons followed up by complete busts. Look at Markstrom in Calgary for example. People here in southern AB bag on him as bad as we do Campbell. I think the best policy is not to sign goalies to long term deals of any sort. Its such a volatile position. Further thought what would it look like if a team only signed players to one year deals. They could spend to the max cap every season. The players would probably make more in salary on those deals because long term isn't a consideration. It would be interesting I think.

I would suggest both goalies deserve the heat they're taking this year. Both have a big contract, but both are posting bad numbers:

- Markstrom is 40th in the league in save percentage at .893, and 25th in goals against average (among goalies with over 10 games played)
- Jack Campbell is 44th in sv% at .884 and 42nd in GAA at 3.57.

Some of the differences between them are that Markstrom's stats, while bad, are better than Campbell. He's a couple years in to his deal and he's been full value for some of his contract at least, as compared to Campbell who's in his first year on this deal and has played very few strong games for the Oilers.

On top of that, Vladar's stats for Calgary (.895, 2.95) are very similar to Markstrom. That could be coincidence but it could suggest that Calgary is doing something significantly wrong in their defensive schemes that is exposing both of their goaltenders. Certainly, Sutter's approach seems to have had a highly negative impact on a lot of their players this season.

Meanwhile, Campbell's partner is .913 and 2.86 so there's worlds of difference between them playing in front of the same team. Skinner is no world beater - he's 16th in Sv% and 33rd in GAA - but he's still miles better than Campbell has been.

The Oilers may want to try to find Campbell some Long Covid or an allergy to equipment this summer...

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #66)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #64)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca