Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Columbus to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817274 is a reply to message #817266 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Nobody seemed concerned with possession in OT.

Gotta win these ones.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817288 is a reply to message #817274 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 22:19

Gotta win these ones.

Yeah, that was ugly at the end. Johnson was just left to do whatever he wanted. No one seemed to bother to challenge him. And then a shot that probably should have been stopped sneaks through, so all four guys have egg on their face.

Ah well, gotta win the next one.

Oilers have to be salivating over Gavrikov though now...he shows up in town and our win streak just evaporates.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817290 is a reply to message #817288 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 22:38

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 22:19

Gotta win these ones.

Yeah, that was ugly at the end. Johnson was just left to do whatever he wanted. No one seemed to bother to challenge him. And then a shot that probably should have been stopped sneaks through, so all four guys have egg on their face.

Ah well, gotta win the next one.

Oilers have to be salivating over Gavrikov though now...he shows up in town and our win streak just evaporates.

Nuge seemed to guess wrong on what his man was gonna do a few times in a row. Then ends up running into Johnny.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817277 is a reply to message #817266 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Good frigging lord, a well deserved OT loss. What the actual freaking pile of garbage was that?

Horrible and embarrassing.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817278 is a reply to message #817266 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This was an inexcusably bad game for the Oil. What a terrible effort from Nurse, Bouchard, Drai and a number of other players.

What an embarrassing game from the team.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817289 is a reply to message #817278 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Some really good chances didn't go in, but if you're playing horribly enough to give away the puck 25 fricken times (ESPN), you lose to a crappy hockey team.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817291 is a reply to message #817289 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

I bet six or seven of those were from Drai tonight. He was a giveaway machine.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817293 is a reply to message #817291 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 22:43

I bet six or seven of those were from Drai tonight. He was a giveaway machine.

It seemed like it, but they only attributed 2 to Leon. 3 for Holloway, 4 for Connor, 3 for McLeod, 2 for Janmark (lousy game). Singles for the other guys who gave away pucks. 9 for the D, ones and twos. Team effort.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817294 is a reply to message #817293 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Well that will teach me to go smoke a joint with 10 minutes left. Came back in and it says we lose Wha.....happen?

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817281 is a reply to message #817266 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Very typical Oilers way to end a hot run

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817296 is a reply to message #817281 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Someone said this wasn’t a trap game. They were wrong

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817297 is a reply to message #817296 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Glad I didn't stay up to watch that one. Sounds like we were lucky to come out of it with a point.
Flush that one & come out firing against the Hawks on Saturday.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817299 is a reply to message #817297 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Begin my rant as I was pissed last night and still pissed this morning.

Made the drive with my son from RD last night as we got given company tickets yesterday. The highlight of the trip to the game was the donair we got on Jasper for supper.

First NHL. Game time said 7:30. At 7:30 they just started cleaning the freaking ice after warm up. Game actually didn't start until after 7:50. Get your S together NHL!!

This is the first time I have seen those 3rd jerseys live, they suck. I don't mind the blue and the orange strips are OK but the logo looks like a 6 yr old who loves space stuff drew it up. I think the first version of them came out 20 yrs ago and the team looked like that team from 20 yrs ago by their play when the Oilers were a mediocre team at best. Get rid of those jerseys because that logo is cursed!

The entire top 6 didn't give a crap last night. I don't know if they forgot they had a game yesterday or were all hung over but that is one of the worst games I have seen the Oilers top 6 play in a long time. Not one of them could make a 5 ft pass. They had 27 give aways!!! And it's not because Columbus is this amazing defensive team. Columbus is awful. Like really, really bad. They did NOTHING all night yet won because the Oilers were that sloppy with the puck. The amount of times McD and Leon of all people missed passes, dropped passes to no one, threw the puck wildly to no one or tried cross ice passes that had ZERO chance of being completed was ridiculous. Pathetic puck management from pretty much every forward.

Individual forwards. I thought Leon was awful. Just looked like he didn't want to be there and was just off. Nuge same. Both were bad. McD was marginally better but that's being nice. I thought of the top 9 regulars, Janmark was OK and so was Hyman but both handled the puck like a grenade. McLeod, he can be good at time. He was a non factor. Going into the playoffs, they need to upgrade a bottom 6 center spot. McLeod isn't ready to be a top 9 center full time. Not in the playoffs. Kostin too quiet. Foegele was meh.

Best 3 forwards were Holloway, Ryan and JP. Holloway was buzzing. Ryan for a older guy, man he gives you what he has and he can finish when given the chance. If he was their extra forward next year, I'd be OK with that.

JP. This was a game that showed exactly the points his lovers and haters bring up. For the record, I thought he had a good game. He seemed engaged, physical not only with laying hits but using his huge body to create space for himself and make plays like he should do all the time. He was good at disrupting plays with his big body and long stick and that ability was on display on the Ryan goal as he played a big part in that. So I am sure his supporters and I have seem some on twitter were dancing in the streets yelling SEE! The bad. My god, the guy can not finish. If he had to score a goal to save his life, I don't think he could. He had 3 GRADE A point blank chances and couldn't cash. You give those 3 chances to most of the other forwards on the team and they probably score at least 1. A credit to him to getting into the spots but my god he needs to work on his finish. I have never been a big supporter but I am not a hardcore hater that thinks he's useless. I see both sides. He does things well that can help your team but those things are not worth 3 mill due to his lack of finish.

Defense. I thought Kulak was pretty good. I thought Nurse was OK. I thought Desharnais, Broberg and Ceci were meh, not bad but not good. I thought Barrie and Bouchard were brutal, Bouchard especially. Bouchard was awful with the puck and some of his decisions were mind boggling. Barrie a bad mistake on the one goal.

Skinner I thought was good for most of the game. Made a couple of big saves but wasn't really tested a ton with very good chances. I didn't like the second goal, I am not sure how/why he didn't cover that. The winner was terrible on him. A 40+ ft wrister. I don't know if he was screened but it hit him in the glove. I am not pinning the loss on him as the team sucked but that's a game where the team didn't have it at all and then to pile on, he gave up a couple of rough goals in my opinion.

Full marks to Korposalo. He made some unreal stops. He stopped probably at least 5 or 6 shots that on most nights are goals. That isn't me saying the Oilers played well to generate those chances, it was more that Columbus is sooooo BAD, the Oilers could play like hot garbage and still get those chances.

Brutal game. I wish I had mine and my sons, especially my sons as he will be tired at school for the late night. I wish I could submit an invoice for my gas money as it was a waste.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817300 is a reply to message #817299 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Which donair place did you go to?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817301 is a reply to message #817300 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 08:51

We went to Top Donair. It was only a few blocks from the rink so it was close to walk too. 100th Street and Jasper Ave. I thought it was good.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817312 is a reply to message #817301 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 09:06

We went to Top Donair. It was only a few blocks from the rink so it was close to walk too. 100th Street and Jasper Ave. I thought it was good.

Whew you can get the full downtown vibrancy experience there.

You inspired my lunch choice today. It was good. Standard donair.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817313 is a reply to message #817312 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 20:04

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 09:06

Whew you can get the full downtown vibrancy experience there.

You inspired my lunch choice today. It was good. Standard donair.

We have a prairie donair. Delicious

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817304 is a reply to message #817299 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 15:42

Made the drive with my son from RD last night as we got given company tickets yesterday. The highlight of the trip to the game was the donair we got on Jasper for supper.

First NHL. Game time said 7:30. At 7:30 they just started cleaning the freaking ice after warm up. Game actually didn't start until after 7:50. Get your S together NHL!!

This is the first time I have seen those 3rd jerseys live, they suck. I don't mind the blue and the orange strips are OK but the logo looks like a 6 yr old who loves space stuff drew it up. I think the first version of them came out 20 yrs ago and the team looked like that team from 20 yrs ago by their play when the Oilers were a mediocre team at best. Get rid of those jerseys because that logo is cursed!

The entire top 6 didn't give a crap last night. I don't know if they forgot they had a game yesterday or were all hung over but that is one of the worst games I have seen the Oilers top 6 play in a long time. Not one of them could make a 5 ft pass. They had 27 give aways!!! And it's not because Columbus is this amazing defensive team. Columbus is awful. Like really, really bad. They did NOTHING all night yet won because the Oilers were that sloppy with the puck. The amount of times McD and Leon of all people missed passes, dropped passes to no one, threw the puck wildly to no one or tried cross ice passes that had ZERO chance of being completed was ridiculous. Pathetic puck management from pretty much every forward.

Individual forwards. I thought Leon was awful. Just looked like he didn't want to be there and was just off. Nuge same. Both were bad. McD was marginally better but that's being nice. I thought of the top 9 regulars, Janmark was OK and so was Hyman but both handled the puck like a grenade. McLeod, he can be good at time. He was a non factor. Going into the playoffs, they need to upgrade a bottom 6 center spot. McLeod isn't ready to be a top 9 center full time. Not in the playoffs. Kostin too quiet. Foegele was meh.

Best 3 forwards were Holloway, Ryan and JP. Holloway was buzzing. Ryan for a older guy, man he gives you what he has and he can finish when given the chance. If he was their extra forward next year, I'd be OK with that.

JP. This was a game that showed exactly the points his lovers and haters bring up. For the record, I thought he had a good game. He seemed engaged, physical not only with laying hits but using his huge body to create space for himself and make plays like he should do all the time. He was good at disrupting plays with his big body and long stick and that ability was on display on the Ryan goal as he played a big part in that. So I am sure his supporters and I have seem some on twitter were dancing in the streets yelling SEE! The bad. My god, the guy can not finish. If he had to score a goal to save his life, I don't think he could. He had 3 GRADE A point blank chances and couldn't cash. You give those 3 chances to most of the other forwards on the team and they probably score at least 1. A credit to him to getting into the spots but my god he needs to work on his finish. I have never been a big supporter but I am not a hardcore hater that thinks he's useless. I see both sides. He does things well that can help your team but those things are not worth 3 mill due to his lack of finish.

Defense. I thought Kulak was pretty good. I thought Nurse was OK. I thought Desharnais, Broberg and Ceci were meh, not bad but not good. I thought Barrie and Bouchard were brutal, Bouchard especially. Bouchard was awful with the puck and some of his decisions were mind boggling. Barrie a bad mistake on the one goal.

Skinner I thought was good for most of the game. Made a couple of big saves but wasn't really tested a ton with very good chances. I didn't like the second goal, I am not sure how/why he didn't cover that. The winner was terrible on him. A 40+ ft wrister. I don't know if he was screened but it hit him in the glove. I am not pinning the loss on him as the team sucked but that's a game where the team didn't have it at all and then to pile on, he gave up a couple of rough goals in my opinion.

Full marks to Korposalo. He made some unreal stops. He stopped probably at least 5 or 6 shots that on most nights are goals. That isn't me saying the Oilers played well to generate those chances, it was more that Columbus is sooooo BAD, the Oilers could play like hot garbage and still get those chances.

Brutal game. I wish I had mine and my sons, especially my sons as he will be tired at school for the late night. I wish I could submit an invoice for my gas money as it was a waste.

Well summarized.

Still can’t believe that save Columbus goalie had. Save of the year nearly. We should have won that game

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817307 is a reply to message #817304 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 10:45

Well summarized.

Still can’t believe that save Columbus goalie had. Save of the year nearly. We should have won that game

That glove save was unreal but he also made quite a few extremely good saves. Despite the fact the Oilers were crap, they should have easily had 2-3 more goals, Korposalo stole that game as the Jackets were bad.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817309 is a reply to message #817304 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Well summarized.

Nah, they *could* have won that game. If you have 25 giveaways as a team, you shouldn't win anything. A good team would have blown them out.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817310 is a reply to message #817309 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 12:29

Well summarized.

Nah, they *could* have won that game. If you have 25 giveaways as a team, you shouldn't win anything. A good team would have blown them out.

The worst part is the Jackets weren't really even pressuring the Oilers forcing them to turn it over. They just couldn't complete a simple pass.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817298 is a reply to message #817296 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 05:36

Someone said this wasn’t a trap game. They were wrong

I did and it wasn't. They just lost because they aren't a good enough hockey team. If anything this was a scheduled loss for CBJ and a free space for the Oilers.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817305 is a reply to message #817298 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Well I wouldn’t say we weren’t good enough. Took their goalie making the save of the year to win it for them, but overall i see what you mean. The effort in the first period just wasn’t there

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817306 is a reply to message #817305 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oh well. Still a point in 7 straight.

Move on to the blackhawks Saturday.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817308 is a reply to message #817306 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The funniest part of the game was Gaudreau's cross checking penalty. By the definition of the rule, yes he cross checked but it was such a weak push by Johnny, McD looked to barely move. Considering what normally gets let go most plays, that was a pretty weak one. But I will take it.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817311 is a reply to message #817308 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The Oilers played like a cocky team who didn't think they had to play properly to win. On paper they are the superior team talent wise and it showed they believe that. The type of passing they were trying to do doesn't work but they thought it would against Columbus. Top 6 guys (not just McD and Leon) over and over again thinking they can just deke through 2, 3, 4 guys. They thought they could just show up and they would win no matter what.

I do think the Oilers kind of deflated after the first goal against. They came out decent in the first 10 mins, took the pace to the Jackets. The Jackets could barely get the puck over center for most of the first 10 mins. Koropsalo made several BIG saves early and Columbus did nothing all period. Icing. lost faceoff, its in the net 1-0 Jackets. They had done nothing at all and were up 1-0. You wouldn't think after winning 6 in a row, they would be deflated by 1 goal but it to me looked like it did.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2023 12:43]

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817314 is a reply to message #817305 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 10:46

Well I wouldn’t say we weren’t good enough. Took their goalie making the save of the year to win it for them, but overall i see what you mean. The effort in the first period just wasn’t there

You are right in that the Oilers could have won that game but Korpisalo stole it but the Oilers were bad. They played nothing like they did in the previous 6 games and if Columbus wouldn't have been as bad as they are, they would have easily beat the Oilers with all those give aways. You can't win in the NHL playing like the Oilers did. Even McD, the amount of times he tried to go through 4 Jackets was ridiculous and to me shows some arrogance thinking he could do it against that team. They are still pros and have some pride. McD and company thinking all they had to do was just show up and they'd win is a joke.

So while I was pissed off and still am as that should have been a free win, I am glad they lost because they played like it was a shiny game. So hopefully that never happens again.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817318 is a reply to message #817314 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 13:53

You are right in that the Oilers could have won that game but Korpisalo stole it but the Oilers were bad. They played nothing like they did in the previous 6 games and if Columbus wouldn't have been as bad as they are, they would have easily beat the Oilers with all those give aways. You can't win in the NHL playing like the Oilers did. Even McD, the amount of times he tried to go through 4 Jackets was ridiculous and to me shows some arrogance thinking he could do it against that team. They are still pros and have some pride. McD and company thinking all they had to do was just show up and they'd win is a joke.

So while I was pissed off and still am as that should have been a free win, I am glad they lost because they played like it was a shiny game. So hopefully that never happens again.

Better to get these reminders now then in the playoffs. Only thing hurt here is pride. Hope they stew on this all break and come back nice and pissed off just like you are icon_wink . Go Oilers!! We all know what Draisaitl is like when he's pissy/pissed.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2023 15:13]

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817319 is a reply to message #817318 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 15:11

Better to get these reminders now then in the playoffs. Only thing hurt here is pride. Hope they stew on this all break and come back nice and pissed off just like you are icon_wink . Go Oilers!! We all know what Draisaitl is like when he's pissy/pissed.

Leon better be pissy against the Hawks. He was one of the worst ones last night. Nuge too though, he was bad as well but does Nuge ever play pissy?

They got a PP goal. They got a bottom 6 goal from Ryan. Where was your 5 on 5 goal top 6? If you look at the stats, the Jackets 2 goals in regulation where scored against the McD line and the Nuge line. That shouldn't happen.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817320 is a reply to message #817319 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Nuge is more like a pacifist robo-cop. He is beyond human emotion.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817321 is a reply to message #817319 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 15:20

Leon better be pissy against the Hawks. He was one of the worst ones last night. Nuge too though, he was bad as well but does Nuge ever play pissy?

They got a PP goal. They got a bottom 6 goal from Ryan. Where was your 5 on 5 goal top 6? If you look at the stats, the Jackets 2 goals in regulation where scored against the McD line and the Nuge line. That shouldn't happen.

Look at the box stats for last nights game, look at who was giving the puck away all night, and that was most guys, including a couple in the top 6, and you get why this game was lost. It was the grossest game I've seen all year in terms of passing, what wasn't given directly to CBJ hit the skates or was too far ahead or behind the target. If they were playing a better than average team, it would have been a 6-2 loss. Nuge's -1 came in OT btw.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817322 is a reply to message #817319 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 22:20

True. Skinner also should have had the one goal. Wasn’t like him to let that in.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817324 is a reply to message #817318 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Honestly, hopefully the coach smartens the hell up next game. We can't play the top guys those minutes every night and expect it to be a successful strategy. They have to rely on the rest of the roster some times and give the stars adequate time to rest.

If you can't play Holloway or McLeod against the Blue Jackets, then what does that say about them against the Bruins or Avs?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817325 is a reply to message #817324 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 17:24

Honestly, hopefully the coach smartens the hell up next game. We can't play the top guys those minutes every night and expect it to be a successful strategy. They have to rely on the rest of the roster some times and give the stars adequate time to rest.

If you can't play Holloway or McLeod against the Blue Jackets, then what does that say about them against the Bruins or Avs?

On a night when Kane is out. But I guess if you have to ask the question....

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817333 is a reply to message #817324 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

He's been increasing Holloway's ice time lately. He played over 13 mins.

I do not think playing McLeod more is a good idea. Not until he decides to stop playing like such a perimeter player. You have to take the puck to the goal to score. There are very few players in the NHL that can score from distance. He's 6'2, almost 210 and skates like the wind. He should be taking the puck to the goal all the time and at his size with his speed, he would be difficult to defend. IF he did that consistently, he would generate more goals for himself as well as his line. If I am the Oilers, if you aren't going McD, Leon, Nuge as your 3 centers, then they need to get themselves a bottom 6 center for the playoffs.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817334 is a reply to message #817333 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 08:24

I do not think playing McLeod more is a good idea. Not until he decides to stop playing like such a perimeter player. You have to take the puck to the goal to score. There are very few players in the NHL that can score from distance. He's 6'2, almost 210 and skates like the wind. He should be taking the puck to the goal all the time and at his size with his speed, he would be difficult to defend. IF he did that consistently, he would generate more goals for himself as well as his line. If I am the Oilers, if you aren't going McD, Leon, Nuge as your 3 centers, then they need to get themselves a bottom 6 center for the playoffs.

It's the worst team in the league and we rode 4 forwards and two defencemen as if the team had no chance without them on the ice. Here's some TOI stats:

Draisaitl 24:22
McDavid 23:59
Hyman 21:18
Nugent-Hopkins 19:26
Ryan 15:45
Janmark 15:32
McLeod 13:45
Holloway 13:28
Foegele 12:25
Puljujarvi 11:00
Kostin 9:25

And on defence:

Nurse 25:48
Ceci 22:56
Kulak 19:14
Broberg 15:06
Bouchard 14:05
Desharnais 12:50

That allocation is nuts given who we were playing, and the fact we were leading or tied for a significant portion of the game. That looks like a coach who doesn't trust 75% of his lineup to play against the worst competition they could be facing.

And as pointed out many times above, it's not like it was a game that the star players were absolutely dominant. If they were on fire, then maybe it makes sense to keep sending them over the boards, but they were struggling and looked tired. Just foolish.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817335 is a reply to message #817334 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 10:28

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 January 2023 08:24

It's the worst team in the league and we rode 4 forwards and two defencemen as if the team had no chance without them on the ice. Here's some TOI stats:

Draisaitl 24:22
McDavid 23:59
Hyman 21:18
Nugent-Hopkins 19:26
Ryan 15:45
Janmark 15:32
McLeod 13:45
Holloway 13:28
Foegele 12:25
Puljujarvi 11:00
Kostin 9:25

And on defence:

Nurse 25:48
Ceci 22:56
Kulak 19:14
Broberg 15:06
Bouchard 14:05
Desharnais 12:50

That allocation is nuts given who we were playing, and the fact we were leading or tied for a significant portion of the game. That looks like a coach who doesn't trust 75% of his lineup to play against the worst competition they could be facing.

And as pointed out many times above, it's not like it was a game that the star players were absolutely dominant. If they were on fire, then maybe it makes sense to keep sending them over the boards, but they were struggling and looked tired. Just foolish.

I was in the stands and I watched as no one on the ice could make a 10 ft pass to save their life for the whole game. I know you think I automatically take the side of the team no matter what because I don't think every Oilers staff member is worthless but in a game like that when everyone to a man is struggling, I am not so sure I am pointing down the bench to McLeod and playing him 18 mins a night when he can't make a basic pass or stick handle. I think the coach at times plays the big boys too much but in case, I am going to default to McD and Leon in the hopes that for maybe a couple of shifts, they can find their hands and put the game away. Columbus was literally doing NOTHING, so all it would have taken is a couple of good shifts to put that game out of reach.

Maybe you disagree with me but very few that night was standing out to deserve more ice.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817344 is a reply to message #817335 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

As a further argument that the bottom six should be trusted with ice time, especially in games where they're up against minnows and the stars are struggling:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FngPz5wakAIr7EE?format=jpg&name=small

Courtesy of Sid (@NHL_Sid) on twitter.

A lot of this is the last month, when suddenly we started getting more contribution from these guys but even so - they weren't in so deep a hole that they couldn't score their way out of it as would have been the case in a lot of previous seasons.

That chart is absolutely damning on the Tippett era. My god.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49) [message #817347 is a reply to message #817344 ]
Fri, 27 January 2023 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

Campbell better get the start. He’s been awesome and skinner glove hand needs work

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #50)
Next Topic:GDT: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca