2021-22 Regular Season
Monday, November 1, 2021Seattle 2 @ Edmonton 5Win
Friday, December 3, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Seattle 4Loss
Saturday, December 18, 2021Edmonton 5 @ Seattle 3Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-1-0       Overall Record: 2-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/8 Total: 13
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/7 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816774 is a reply to message #816772 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

What the heck? The Oilers go on a three game run and no one wants to talk hockey? Imagine if they pulled off an eight gamer like Seattle just did.

The Kraken are on the second half of a back to back, travelling from Seattle after a loss yesterday. The Oilers currently sit 5 points back of the red eyes who have 2 games in hand. If they're going to catch Seattle, they gotta win tonight.

Frank Seravalli is reporting Kane is back tonight with Yammo going on IR.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816775 is a reply to message #816774 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Pretty good OOT scoreboard last night with the Kraken, Flames, and Knights all losing.

Win tonight gets us to within 3 of both Seattle and LA (still can't believe we're chasing those 3 teams in mid January)

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816776 is a reply to message #816774 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 09:38

What the heck? The Oilers go on a three game run and no one wants to talk hockey? Imagine if they pulled off an eight gamer like Seattle just did.

I'm not surprised. I find this place seems to bring out the negative nellies who like to complain how much the Oilers suck, but once things are good they have much less to say.

I'm the opposite. After wins I tune in for the post game shows and highlights; but after losses I just shut the tv off and do something else--I don't want to think about the game. But here you get about twice as many posts after losses compared to wins.

I've never understood why you would be a fan of a team and focus mainly on the negative. But to each there own.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816778 is a reply to message #816776 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 10:09

I'm not surprised. I find this place seems to bring out the negative nellies who like to complain how much the Oilers suck, but once things are good they have much less to say.

I'm the opposite. After wins I tune in for the post game shows and highlights; but after losses I just shut the tv off and do something else--I don't want to think about the game. But here you get about twice as many posts after losses compared to wins.

I've never understood why you would be a fan of a team and focus mainly on the negative. But to each there own.

I tend to avoid this site and all things Oilers during streaks of bad play. I find Tweets, posts and pile-on articles from Spector invoke an emotional response from me that I do not like. Crappy thing is as a fan, we have no ability to influence the outcome of any game, so I choose to control the things I can control and avoid the evil.

At the end of the day, even with the 17 years of mostly turd, I love this team and I will be watching and cheering regardless.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 January 2023 10:48]

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816780 is a reply to message #816776 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Personally, I blame Dallas Eakins.

I used to believe and be able to care about the Oilers winning until I was a 1/3 season ticket holder during the first Eakins year. I remember vividly not being able to sell a late season game against the Kings. Couldn't give the damn things away. So whatever, I took my dad to the game and I sat in a near empty upper deck of Rexall place and was just miserable. Not only were the Oilers simply outclassed in talent they weren't doing any of the little things a bad team can do to stay competitive. That shut out loss drained the Oilers spirit from my very soul and I became emotionally detached. I never got my spirit back. Whether it was age or economics or Dallas Eakins, I've never found the joy I once had in the Oilers. Unexpectedly I actually enjoy the Oilers and hockey more now.

So I don't enjoy the Oilers losing now, but I do enjoy trying to figure out why the Oilers are losing. Likewise, I enjoy trying to figure out why the Oilers won, when they win. It's just that it wasn't hard to figure out why the Oilers beat the Eakins coached Ducks. It's because Eakins is a terrible coach.

Overall, I think it's just a different approach to how we watch hockey now.

Epilogue to my Oilers story: After that game I told my ST partners after that game I was out. The cost simply wasn't good value and I wasn't willing to wait and hope the Oilers would pay off. I didn't go to a game again until you gave me seats you couldn't get rid of the next year. That game was the ONE win sandwiched between an 11 game losing streak and a 9 game losing streak, Dallas Eakins' last win as Oilers head coach.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816782 is a reply to message #816776 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Yes it can get pretty negative here. I have even stepped away at a few points due to it. But expectations are high for this group right now. We're not fans resigned to Fall for Hall or Fail for Nail anymore. We expect alot from these guys. I have no problem with people pointing out problems with the team or expressing frustration at times. I just wish there wasn't so much scapegoating of certain individuals at bad times.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816781 is a reply to message #816774 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

5 Cups

I can’t be the only one who enjoyed seeing Rishaug’s conflicting report then him walking it back saying that there is one more strength test and it’s not confirmed till after that Blah blah blah.

Kaner is back. Yamo is on LTIR till feb 12. JP will soon be (on) a jet (mystery team confirmed!)

Let the good times roll!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816783 is a reply to message #816781 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 11:03

I can’t be the only one who enjoyed seeing Rishaug’s conflicting report then him walking it back saying that there is one more strength test and it’s not confirmed till after that Blah blah blah.

Kaner is back. Yamo is on LTIR till feb 12. JP will soon be (on) a jet (mystery team confirmed!)

Let the good times roll!

LOL! Reading in between the lines...

I'm also enjoying the old guys on 1260 tripping over words to defend Rishaug and really all reporters.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816784 is a reply to message #816781 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Let the good times roll!

Finally. Our mojo is back baby !!!

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816785 is a reply to message #816781 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Let the good times roll!

Does this mystery team rhyme with Trivago or melanoma?

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816786 is a reply to message #816785 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 11:25

Let the good times roll!

Does this mystery team rhyme with Trivago or melanoma?

Oklahoma?

Bring back the Barons!

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816787 is a reply to message #816781 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Let the good times roll!

Rishaug is so easy to dislike. Right there with Spector and Matheson.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816792 is a reply to message #816781 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 10:03

.. JP will soon be (on) a jet (mystery team confirmed!)

You're probably right.. heard he was scratched for tonight.. there's a top 6 NHL player potentially there.. he just needs to decide whether to put more work into developing his skating, shot, and engagement level .. he just ran out of time in Oil-town.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816794 is a reply to message #816792 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 14:09

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 10:03

.. JP will soon be (on) a jet (mystery team confirmed!)

You're probably right.. heard he was scratched for tonight.. there's a top 6 NHL player potentially there.. he just needs to decide whether to put more work into developing his skating, shot, and engagement level .. he just ran out of time in Oil-town.

He's improving on 2 of those, but too little too late. Janmark has passed him and they've got to move him when KY is back in 8 games, or Foegele I guess. Or both.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816779 is a reply to message #816772 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Sniff that air ladies and germs. Breath in the Must

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816788 is a reply to message #816779 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 10:59

We need a Phil Collins remix with some Mustiness.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816789 is a reply to message #816788 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Kane being activated should be a huge boost to this team

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816790 is a reply to message #816779 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 09:59

Musta-palooza !

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816795 is a reply to message #816779 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 10:59

Hope so, otherwise the dog farted. Wasn't me.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816791 is a reply to message #816772 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Sounds like Puljujarvi scratched tonight.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816796 is a reply to message #816791 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Yamo on LTIR. Ryan has been scratched, Foegele has been scratched. It's JP's turn. He hasn't missed a single game yet. It's not like he's played so well he should be immune to being scratched.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816798 is a reply to message #816791 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 13:59

Sounds like Puljujarvi scratched tonight.

Some speculation that a trade is in the works. Certainly, to bring any money in, we'd need to send some away, and chances are that he wouldn't get qualified at his current number so if there's a deal to be done, now is the time with Jesse.

That said, there's lots of ways to get that wrong. Here is hoping if a deal happens that it's someone who's actually impactful and not the typical Ken Holland move of getting old-guy-with-a-Stanley-Cup-ring.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816799 is a reply to message #816798 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I did read the Oilers have been scouting this guy. 2.8 m cap hit vs PJ's 3m/

https://www.nhl.com/player/vladislav-gavrikov-8478882

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816800 is a reply to message #816799 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 14:47

-1 on a really bad CBJ team is pretty darn good. That's all I've got. CBJ is terrible.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816801 is a reply to message #816800 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 15:05

-1 on a really bad CBJ team is pretty darn good. That's all I've got. CBJ is terrible.

Vinny D being serviceable has given them pause on chasing the unicorn. JP trade likely to be a bottom 6 forward without term allowing a bit of cap relief for next season.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816802 is a reply to message #816801 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I hope Vinny turns out to be a stud, but can we really rest on the D search since he's had 3 good games?
JP's contract is over at the end of the year anyway, so cap relief was coming anyway.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816806 is a reply to message #816802 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 15:24

I hope Vinny turns out to be a stud, but can we really rest on the D search since he's had 3 good games?
JP's contract is over at the end of the year anyway, so cap relief was coming anyway.

Still an asset under team control, JP RFA.

Personally no, you can’t rely on Vinny currently. But what do we expect, Holland to fix the D for free?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816805 is a reply to message #816801 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 14:18

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 15:05

Vinny D being serviceable has given them pause on chasing the unicorn. JP trade likely to be a bottom 6 forward without term allowing a bit of cap relief for next season.

It would be so Oilers to have 3 game NHLer Vincent Desharnais affect ANY decisions.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816803 is a reply to message #816800 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 17:05

Considering Jarmo Kekalainen (Blue Jackets GM) was the one who passed on Jesse in the draft, I am someone skeptical that he will want to give up a guy for him, especially with so much of him team underperforming as it is. Oilers would have to add something to make it worth his while.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816804 is a reply to message #816803 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 15:33

Considering Jarmo Kekalainen (Blue Jackets GM) was the one who passed on Jesse in the draft, I am someone skeptical that he will want to give up a guy for him, especially with so much of him team underperforming as it is. Oilers would have to add something to make it worth his while.

Jarmo has to be desperate to not get fired right now. He made some big splashes in a small market last offseason and created a masterpiece of garbage. They desperately need some size and someone who can retrieve pucks for the charmin soft duo of Gaudreau and Liane because those contracts go for a long long time.

JP for VG might not make sense, but CBJ dumping a UFA contract does.

Gubranson at 4x4 might be the worst contract of the last offseason.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816807 is a reply to message #816803 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

He passed on Puljujarvi, but does that mean anything besides that they liked the center, Dubois, better? People read way too much in to this. I mean, last year, the Canadian GM of the Montreal Canadiens passed on Shane Wright, a Canadian kid, in order to draft Juraj Slafkovsky of Slovakia!!! Does he know something that others don't because he's Canadian? Would an American GM have just made the call and picked Wright? Maybe not since Tom Fitzgerald of the Devils also passed on him for ANOTHER Slovak in Simon Nemec.

And then Canadian GM Bill Armstrong of the Coyotes ALSO passed on him and picked American Logan Cooley, so maybe many Canadians knew that Shane Wright just didn't have the "Wright Stuff".

The Finnish thing is a dumb storyline that is really irrelevant. Kekelainen has no magic related to knowing whether Finns are going to turn out okay or not. He hasn't magically unlocked Patrik Laine, and his Finnish goalie is pretty meh. He has a group of scouts and they worked out who they felt was the best pick at the time. If he was truly prescient, he probably should have picked up Tkachuk who was still on the board - but maybe his player intuition only works for teenage Finns?

Columbus is a tire fire and unlikely to make the playoffs. They will likely be sellers over the next few months, and Puljujarvi is a great player to pick up because worst case he helps you lose and you jettison him as a free agent this summer and best case, Edmonton is the problem and you get a rejuvenated player for a relatively low cost.

For what it's worse, I'm not a big fan of Gavrikov, because another low event defenceman doesn't help the problem here, especially if the Oilers continue to rely on quick dashes and long passes as their breakout system.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816809 is a reply to message #816807 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 16:09

He passed on Puljujarvi, but does that mean anything besides that they liked the center, Dubois, better? People read way too much in to this. I mean, last year, the Canadian GM of the Montreal Canadiens passed on Shane Wright, a Canadian kid, in order to draft Juraj Slafkovsky of Slovakia!!! Does he know something that others don't because he's Canadian? Would an American GM have just made the call and picked Wright? Maybe not since Tom Fitzgerald of the Devils also passed on him for ANOTHER Slovak in Simon Nemec.

And then Canadian GM Bill Armstrong of the Coyotes ALSO passed on him and picked American Logan Cooley, so maybe many Canadians knew that Shane Wright just didn't have the "Wright Stuff".

The Finnish thing is a dumb storyline that is really irrelevant. Kekelainen has no magic related to knowing whether Finns are going to turn out okay or not. He hasn't magically unlocked Patrik Laine, and his Finnish goalie is pretty meh. He has a group of scouts and they worked out who they felt was the best pick at the time. If he was truly prescient, he probably should have picked up Tkachuk who was still on the board - but maybe his player intuition only works for teenage Finns?

Columbus is a tire fire and unlikely to make the playoffs. They will likely be sellers over the next few months, and Puljujarvi is a great player to pick up because worst case he helps you lose and you jettison him as a free agent this summer and best case, Edmonton is the problem and you get a rejuvenated player for a relatively low cost.

For what it's worse, I'm not a big fan of Gavrikov, because another low event defenceman doesn't help the problem here, especially if the Oilers continue to rely on quick dashes and long passes as their breakout system.

I can get behind this. Another good example is in the 2013 draft when the Avs had the first pick. There was a lot of talk prior how it was just inevitable that Colorado would take Seth Jones, since his father played basketball in Denver--the stories would write themselves. Of course come draft time, the Avs scouts felt MacKinnon was by far the best selection--and it looks like they've turned out to be right. It wasn't because they had any inside knowledge about Jones--they just ignored the feel good stories and picked the best player. These things should have little to no bearing on your player selections.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816811 is a reply to message #816809 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 18:43

I can get behind this. Another good example is in the 2013 draft when the Avs had the first pick. There was a lot of talk prior how it was just inevitable that Colorado would take Seth Jones, since his father played basketball in Denver--the stories would write themselves. Of course come draft time, the Avs scouts felt MacKinnon was by far the best selection--and it looks like they've turned out to be right. It wasn't because they had any inside knowledge about Jones--they just ignored the feel good stories and picked the best player. These things should have little to no bearing on your player selections.

I think the key difference between Puljujarvi being passed on by Kekalainen and those other situations is that Kekalainen was the only GM that could fluently speak to Puljujarvi. I think it is well documented that Puljujarvi spoke zero english, so being able to talk to him might have made some difference. I agree also though that picking a center may have been a bigger deal, but I remember at the time that Puljujarvi was nearly on par with Laine, and it was pretty shocking that he fell to #4.

It was a long time though, so I could also see that argument that Kekalainen doesn't care about that anymore, because we all know what Puljujarvi is now, so that guessing game that is the NHL draft doesn't matter at all.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816814 is a reply to message #816811 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 17:15

benv wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 18:43

I think the key difference between Puljujarvi being passed on by Kekalainen and those other situations is that Kekalainen was the only GM that could fluently speak to Puljujarvi. I think it is well documented that Puljujarvi spoke zero english, so being able to talk to him might have made some difference. I agree also though that picking a center may have been a bigger deal, but I remember at the time that Puljujarvi was nearly on par with Laine, and it was pretty shocking that he fell to #4.

It was a long time though, so I could also see that argument that Kekalainen doesn't care about that anymore, because we all know what Puljujarvi is now, so that guessing game that is the NHL draft doesn't matter at all.

There was a definite drop-off from the top two to Puljujarvi. I remember being disappointed we didn't win the lottery pick to get Laine - the shooter with McDavid seemed the perfect fit.

Every team is able to get translators, and while some teams DEFINITELY put some amount of emphasis on the player interviews, they probably shouldn't. If you haven't and you want evidence of how much teams DO put in to that, it's worth reading Gare Joyce's Future Greats and Heartbreaks book about the Columbus Blue Jackets scouting process ahead of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. The BJ's allowed Joyce unprecedented behind the scenes access and he sat in on interviews and scouting discussions. They HATED Phil Kessel who had a disastrous interview with them. The Blue Jackets LOVED Derrick Brassard and they were petrified that the Bruins would take their guy at #5 and that they'd have to decide whether or not they would take Kessel. If you believe Joyce, they probably would not have done so, but were saved the choice and got the guy they wanted - a guy who has scored 441 less points in the NHL.

I am in a position where I sometimes hire people, and I've made some good hires and occasionally made some bad ones. You try to judge applicants on interviews but it's an exercise in failure because the fact is, it's really difficult to learn something from someone in a 30 minute or 60 minute conversation, especially when there's a massive power imbalance and they're nervous from the first moment - and I'm hiring adults, not 17 year old kids. And unfortunately for me, I don't have actual performance stats that I can make an educated decision on, unlike an NHL team.

Anyone who decides where they're spending their draft pick based not on on-ice performance but rather on a brief personal interaction is foolish. If Kekalainen made the call on Puljujarvi/Dubois based on that, then he's just lucky that it worked out for him the way it did, because I don't believe for an instant that an interview, even one conducted in Finnish, made it clear to him what the player's trajectory was going to look like.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816812 is a reply to message #816807 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 23:09

Not saying you’re wrong. In fact I agree but who would you want if we could get a decent defenseman?

This team needs something. The current blue line is so bad

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816813 is a reply to message #816812 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Didn’t sleep good last night

Gonna try and make the first period to see Kane return

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816815 is a reply to message #816812 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 18:24

Not saying you’re wrong. In fact I agree but who would you want if we could get a decent defenseman?

Of all the reputed potential targets, I would be aiming at Chycrun or Gostisbehere out of Arizona. Both are able to play at both ends of the rink and advance the puck. They're just a better fit for what we need.

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816897 is a reply to message #816815 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 18:45

Of all the reputed potential targets, I would be aiming at Chycrun or Gostisbehere out of Arizona. Both are able to play at both ends of the rink and advance the puck. They're just a better fit for what we need.

I'd say Provorov is off the list.....or maybe he's higher on the list? confused2

Re: Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46) [message #816904 is a reply to message #816897 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 14:41

Adam wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 18:45

I'd say Provorov is off the list.....or maybe he's higher on the list? confused2

From what we've seen from the Oilers over the last couple of years, potential character flaws are not at all a concern. If you're happy to invite accused rapists to camp, then someone not wearing a rainbow jersey isn't going to scare you off.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Next Topic:GDT: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca