F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Drafting signing and trading
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Drafting signing and trading [message #813370]
Wed, 02 November 2022 12:42 Go to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

I was just looking and discussing the Oiler's lineup and it struck me how it looks when you break it down by players that were drafted/signed/traded:

Just looking at the 20 players who have been dressing recently:

Drafted: 11 (8 first rounders: RNH, Nurse, Draisaitl, McDavid, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bouchard, Holloway; 1 second rounder: McLeod; 2 third rounders: Niemalainen, Skinner).

Free agent signees: 7 (Hyman, Kane, Shore, Ryan, Ceci, Barrie, Campbell)

Trade: 2 (Foegele, Kulak)

Adding in other players that have played or will likely play this year:

Murray (signed)
Malone (signed)
Broberg (1st round pick)
Benson (2nd round pick)

We definitely see this Oiler team, which I think might be the best they've had since the cup years, was really built through the draft, particularly the first round where the Oilers have not had a true bust since Yakupov. The core lineup is augmented with some free agents, but trades in the cap world have almost become irrelevant.

For comparison, I looked at the 2006 cup run (the first year of the cap) and the 25 players that played in the playoffs that year. Here's the breakdown:

Drafted 8 (Horcoff (4), Pisani (7), Hemsky (1), Smyth (1), Stoll (2), Winchester (2), Laraque (2), Greene (2)). Numbers in brackets are the draft round.

Signings 6 (Staios, Murray, Bergeron, Harvey, Petersen, Conklin)

Trades 11 (Pronger, Samsonov, Spacek, Torres, Peca, Smith, Moreau, Tarnstrom, Dvorak, Roloson, Markkanen)

So then the team was a mix of drafted players (although only two first rounders) and a bunch acquired through trade. With the exception of Staios I would say the free agents were mostly secondary.

I'd be curious if this is similar for most teams or unique to the Oilers (but I'm too lazy to do the work for other teams).

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Drafting signing and trading [message #813378 is a reply to message #813370 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 12:42

I was just looking and discussing the Oiler's lineup and it struck me how it looks when you break it down by players that were drafted/signed/traded:

Just looking at the 20 players who have been dressing recently:

Drafted: 11 (8 first rounders: RNH, Nurse, Draisaitl, McDavid, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bouchard, Holloway; 1 second rounder: McLeod; 2 third rounders: Niemalainen, Skinner).

Free agent signees: 7 (Hyman, Kane, Shore, Ryan, Ceci, Barrie, Campbell)

Trade: 2 (Foegele, Kulak)

Adding in other players that have played or will likely play this year:

Murray (signed)
Malone (signed)
Broberg (1st round pick)
Benson (2nd round pick)

We definitely see this Oiler team, which I think might be the best they've had since the cup years, was really built through the draft, particularly the first round where the Oilers have not had a true bust since Yakupov. The core lineup is augmented with some free agents, but trades in the cap world have almost become irrelevant.

For comparison, I looked at the 2006 cup run (the first year of the cap) and the 25 players that played in the playoffs that year. Here's the breakdown:

Drafted 8 (Horcoff (4), Pisani (7), Hemsky (1), Smyth (1), Stoll (2), Winchester (2), Laraque (2), Greene (2)). Numbers in brackets are the draft round.

Signings 6 (Staios, Murray, Bergeron, Harvey, Petersen, Conklin)

Trades 11 (Pronger, Samsonov, Spacek, Torres, Peca, Smith, Moreau, Tarnstrom, Dvorak, Roloson, Markkanen)

So then the team was a mix of drafted players (although only two first rounders) and a bunch acquired through trade. With the exception of Staios I would say the free agents were mostly secondary.

I'd be curious if this is similar for most teams or unique to the Oilers (but I'm too lazy to do the work for other teams).

It would be interesting to see this for the Stanley Cup and President's Trophy winners for the last 20 years and see if there's any trends. My guess is that you'd find that historically there's a lot of variability in how teams are built and successful. That said, I expect that with the cap, there's maybe more requirement for cheap, good players which are hard to come by unless you draft them...so maybe the last few years the number of drafted guys would increase? That's just speculation though without going and doing the work...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

A factor Re: Drafting signing and trading [message #813392 is a reply to message #813370 ]
Thu, 03 November 2022 10:25 Go to previous message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

A factor for Holland is that he is poor at trades, so it's not surprising that he is building through the draft and free agency. At least he is playing to his strengths for the most part. A lot of the previous GMs tried to fix problems through trade and only made things worse.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Previous Topic:Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Next Topic:Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca