This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2022-23 OOT ThreadPages (17): [ «  <  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820392 is a reply to message #820390 ]
Fri, 31 March 2023 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 31 March 2023 17:51

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 31 March 2023 19:49

I know many are cheering for the Red Wings tonight, to beat the Jets… but I’m in the camp of let’s go Jets.

I don’t want any part of Calgary to experience playoff hockey.

And the Musty boys will take care of clinching shortly on their own regardless of the Jets

Are they? Heck with that. Go Jets! They have to win sooner or later...right?

Edit (at the risk of jinxing it): 3-0 Jets in the 1st? Let's Go!!!

I’ve seen a fair bit of Oilers fans and the like saying let’s go wings on the Ol twitter. Puke in my mouth with ppl wanting the flames to get in.

5-0 jets after 2. So far so good.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820393 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Fri, 31 March 2023 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I praised Kuzmenko last time the Oilers played the 'Nucks. I take it all back. He's a trash human being.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820394 is a reply to message #820393 ]
Fri, 31 March 2023 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 31 March 2023 19:57

I praised Kuzmenko last time the Oilers played the 'Nucks. I take it all back. He's a trash human being.

What did he do?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820395 is a reply to message #820394 ]
Fri, 31 March 2023 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 31 March 2023 20:23

What did he do?

Didn't wear the pride jersey.

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820396 is a reply to message #820395 ]
Fri, 31 March 2023 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oilertime wrote on Fri, 31 March 2023 20:38

What did he do?

Ah. Thought crime. Got it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820400 is a reply to message #820396 ]
Fri, 31 March 2023 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Nice job jets. Now just need Van to beat Cgy (who got YET ANOTHER OT pt...)

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820413 is a reply to message #820396 ]
Sat, 01 April 2023 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 31 March 2023 23:20

What did he do?

Nobody said crime, just trash human being...I tend to agree.

Kuzmenko too a stand and Oilertime based his opinion of him off of that. If enough people (or specific people like Van's ownership or the NHL etc...) were or are against Kuzmenkos stand there will be repercussions for him and that's not a crime either.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820414 is a reply to message #820413 ]
Sat, 01 April 2023 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Perkele wrote on Sat, 01 April 2023 11:09

What did he do?

Kuzmenko too a stand and Oilertime based his opinion of him off of that. If enough people (or specific people like Van's ownership or the NHL etc...) were or are against Kuzmenkos stand there will be repercussions for him and that's not a crime either.

I feel like many are missing an opportunity to bash Russia even more than we already are. That Russian Orthodox Church leader they have is a piece of work.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820425 is a reply to message #820414 ]
Sat, 01 April 2023 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 01 April 2023 11:13

What did he do?

I feel like many are missing an opportunity to bash Russia even more than we already are. That Russian Orthodox Church leader they have is a piece of work.

It was definitely interesting the tack that the Canucks took on this. They suggested that he talked to his family ahead of making his decision - implicitly blaming this as a Russia thing as opposed to any strong views from Kuzmenko. Probably a wise decision, honestly. While I'm sure the team would prefer not to make any headlines or rock any boats, if they are able to give the player a little bit of cover it's probably in their best interests.

I would bet money that there are no more pride jersey nights in the NHL next year. Pride nights - sure. But no jerseys, because the league just doesn't want to deal with this again.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820415 is a reply to message #820413 ]
Sat, 01 April 2023 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What did he do?

I stand by the term thought crime. Your demand of repercussions for wrongthink from someone's employer should give everyone reason to pause and reflect.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820418 is a reply to message #820415 ]
Sat, 01 April 2023 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 01 April 2023 13:23

What did he do?

I stand by the term thought crime. Your demand of repercussions for wrongthink from someone's employer should give everyone reason to pause and reflect.

So thought crime means having an opinion that people vocally disagree with and judge you by. Again, there is no demand for anything, just a statement that if you choose to make your opinions public and they anger enough or certain specific people there will be repercussions and to be upset about that is naive.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820474 is a reply to message #820418 ]
Mon, 03 April 2023 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Perkele wrote on Sat, 01 April 2023 12:11

So thought crime means having an opinion that people vocally disagree with and judge you by. Again, there is no demand for anything, just a statement that if you choose to make your opinions public and they anger enough or certain specific people there will be repercussions and to be upset about that is naive.

So holding an opinion on a particular lifestyle (for or against) can be sufficient to designate somebody a "trash human being," subject to being "judged" and encountering "repercussions" because your opinions "anger enough or certain specific people" ... And here I had thought (honestly, not sarcastically) that we had made progress in terms of being more tolerant of people with divergent viewpoints or alternative lifestyles. Apparently not.

Imagine the outcome if the opinion were, say, that gays and lesbians should be able to have open relationships, and no one should have the ability to interfere with their ability to love and live with whomever they please. Imagine that such an opinion "angered enough or certain specific people" such that they were "judged" as being "trash human beings" who should expect to encounter (unspecified) "repercussions" as a result. Do you want to revert to being such a society? And can you not see that is where your articulated position leads? If we demand uniformity on the zeitgeist (spirit of the age) that is predominant, and threaten dissenters with judgment, condemnation, and 'repercussions,' then we are not advocating for a free and tolerant society. Which is tremendously ironic given that pride nights et al are supposedly advocating for tolerance.

Note: to stave off the inevitable reply of "but what about people who think LGBTQ+ folks should be murdered or persecuted etc." - that's quite clearly not what we're talking about here. None of the NHL players who have been criticized for refusing to wear pride jerseys have suggested any such thing.

Quick analogy - here in OKC, we went to Barons games every opportunity we got. They regularly had "Family & Faith" nights, which were basically invitations to Christian churches to come and for their Christian faith (which is pretty predominant here in the 'Bible belt' [where even your cattle are probably Christian]) to be celebrated. Imagine that the OKC Barons wore warm-up jerseys with crosses stitched on the shoulders for those nights. Now imagine that a player, say a committed atheist, or a Muslim, or whatever, preferred not to wear the warm-up jersey. Should he have been ostracized? judged as a 'trash human being' (for not adhering to the majority worldview in the setting)? threatened with 'repercussions'? I think clearly not. He should have the freedom to not celebrate a worldview or lifestyle that he does not agree with. He is not threatening anybody's right to exist.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820475 is a reply to message #820474 ]
Mon, 03 April 2023 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 03 April 2023 10:36

Perkele wrote on Sat, 01 April 2023 12:11

So holding an opinion on a particular lifestyle (for or against) can be sufficient to designate somebody a "trash human being," subject to being "judged" and encountering "repercussions" because your opinions "anger enough or certain specific people" ... And here I had thought (honestly, not sarcastically) that we had made progress in terms of being more tolerant of people with divergent viewpoints or alternative lifestyles. Apparently not.

Imagine the outcome if the opinion were, say, that gays and lesbians should be able to have open relationships, and no one should have the ability to interfere with their ability to love and live with whomever they please. Imagine that such an opinion "angered enough or certain specific people" such that they were "judged" as being "trash human beings" who should expect to encounter (unspecified) "repercussions" as a result. Do you want to revert to being such a society? And can you not see that is where your articulated position leads? If we demand uniformity on the zeitgeist (spirit of the age) that is predominant, and threaten dissenters with judgment, condemnation, and 'repercussions,' then we are not advocating for a free and tolerant society. Which is tremendously ironic given that pride nights et al are supposedly advocating for tolerance.

Note: to stave off the inevitable reply of "but what about people who think LGBTQ+ folks should be murdered or persecuted etc." - that's quite clearly not what we're talking about here. None of the NHL players who have been criticized for refusing to wear pride jerseys have suggested any such thing.

Quick analogy - here in OKC, we went to Barons games every opportunity we got. They regularly had "Family & Faith" nights, which were basically invitations to Christian churches to come and for their Christian faith (which is pretty predominant here in the 'Bible belt' [where even your cattle are probably Christian]) to be celebrated. Imagine that the OKC Barons wore warm-up jerseys with crosses stitched on the shoulders for those nights. Now imagine that a player, say a committed atheist, or a Muslim, or whatever, preferred not to wear the warm-up jersey. Should he have been ostracized? judged as a 'trash human being' (for not adhering to the majority worldview in the setting)? threatened with 'repercussions'? I think clearly not. He should have the freedom to not celebrate a worldview or lifestyle that he does not agree with. He is not threatening anybody's right to exist.

Calling someone a trash human being doesn't really help advance the discussion, but I think it is fair to question and challenge someone for choosing not to wear pride gear. My opinion is that any religious beliefs these players have is misplaced and my hope is that society as a whole can learn to accept everyone for who they are. We are a still a very long way off achieving this goal and the LGBTQ+ community needs support to achieve acceptance. Not wearing the gear works against the goal.

The religion example is not analogous, and referring to LGBTQ+ as a 'lifestyle' isn't accurate either. It implies a choice when there is no choice. We need to accept all aspects of human biology. It's science, not religion.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820478 is a reply to message #820475 ]
Mon, 03 April 2023 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Mon, 03 April 2023 15:36

The religion example is not analogous, and referring to LGBTQ+ as a 'lifestyle' isn't accurate either. It implies a choice when there is no choice. We need to accept all aspects of human biology. It's science, not religion.

I would imagine the good bible belt people of OKC consider God not to be a choice either. They might also consider the demand that everyone strictly adheres to the practice of wearing pride jerseys to be something of a religion rite of the lifestyle now. Maybe. I haven't asked them what they think.

I do wonder what the NHL thought they were going to get out of this. Does us arguing over the value of woke points do much to increase league revenue?

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820476 is a reply to message #820474 ]
Mon, 03 April 2023 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 03 April 2023 11:36

He should have the freedom to not celebrate a worldview or lifestyle that he does not agree with. He is not threatening anybody's right to exist.

Who you love is not a "worldview or lifestyle". It's not something that a person chooses unlike a religion that one willingly joins (or more commonly is indoctrinated into, but that's a different discussion). There's no converting away from your sexuality and there's not leaving it. They can mask it, like most have had to do their entire lives, but that's about it. Your analogy is bad.

Pride night exists because for decades hockey culture (all levels, not necessarily NHL) has been extremely toxic towards gay boys and men. Everyone on this board that played minor hockey knows what the scene was like in the 80's, 90's and 00's. And I'm sure participated in it in one way or the other in their youths. I know I'm guilty of it. Whether it be calling things "gay" or dropping the word "f_g" in a derogatory manner. There's no way I'd have gone near this sport if I was gay when I was a teen.

There are zero openly gay NHL players. Gee, I wonder why?

Pride night isn't an endorsement or celebration of homosexuality. It's clear message that if you are gay, there is room for you in this game. You will not discriminated against or a victim of violence from other members of the team/organization. That's it.

Refusing to wear the jersey on the grounds of being Christian is at best a phony excuse given the other biblical rules these players opening flaunt such as working on the sabbath, pre-marital sex, wearing mixed fabrics, wearing tattoos etc. I'm sure the list goes on. By refusing the jersey, they are simply admitting that they dislike gay people. And that's fine - it's not illegal to dislike people. But if they're judging others, it's fair for fans to judge them in return since their bias is rooted in hate.

Jesus's core message, to me, as been to love thy neighbor. I don't see how refusing to support gays in hockey supports that message. Blaming the religion simply doesn't hold enough water. These people need to own up to their negative biases.

With all that said, it's funny how people are complaining about these "political" events now that it's something they may disagree with. Supporting pride night is no more "virtue signaling" than pretending to care about the military during their many pre-game celebrations. Or the weird nationalistic ritual of singing country's songs before the puck is dropped. If there's a movement to get rid of pride night, then get rid of all the "political" stuff and let's just focus on the game at hand.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 April 2023 15:41]

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820477 is a reply to message #820476 ]
Mon, 03 April 2023 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some interesting comments on the pride jersey debate - but I wonder if it's not ultimately a better conversation for the OT Forum in the end? We're getting pretty far from ice level here I think.

On a more hockey-related note - Marner sat out yesterday with "bumps & bruises". I wonder if this isn't the start of the game management part of the season and we don't see a little more of this down the stretch. If so, it'll be interesting how that could impact the couple remaining playoff races.

I'm curious if we'll see it more in the East where there's already a little more separation than in the West where conceivably any of 5 or 6 teams could still finish atop the conference, and there's no one guaranteed a specific seed in either division.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820501 is a reply to message #820477 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 April 2023 15:49

Some interesting comments on the pride jersey debate - but I wonder if it's not ultimately a better conversation for the OT Forum in the end? We're getting pretty far from ice level here I think.

Thank you. I avoid the OT Forum, because I get enough of this content in everyday life. Hockey talk is my escape and right now I am only concerned about the Oil, a deep playoff run, the out of town scoreboard and where the heck did a bunch of my posts go?

I just reached 3 Cups for the second time in my Oilfans history, only to be knocked back once again.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820503 is a reply to message #820501 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 12:48

Thank you. I avoid the OT Forum, because I get enough of this content in everyday life. Hockey talk is my escape and right now I am only concerned about the Oil, a deep playoff run, the out of town scoreboard and where the heck did a bunch of my posts go?

I just reached 3 Cups for the second time in my Oilfans history, only to be knocked back once again.

Oh I was wondering if we'd get another purge after the site said it was full a while back.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820507 is a reply to message #820503 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 13:30

Oh I was wondering if we'd get another purge after the site said it was full a while back.

I argued just to have you and Mike purged to save everyone else's post counts, but apparently that didn't happen. Sigh. Well, I guess we're stuck with you then!

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820508 is a reply to message #820507 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 14:38

I argued just to have you and Mike purged to save everyone else's post counts, but apparently that didn't happen. Sigh. Well, I guess we're stuck with you then!

I suppose a tribute could be offered.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820573 is a reply to message #820508 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 18:05

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 14:38

I suppose a tribute could be offered.

Thinking just removing 1 or 2 of Adam's encyclopedic posts should have freed up more than enough space.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820506 is a reply to message #820501 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 14:48

I'm with you. I have a lot of opinions here (particularly being an American seeing a lot of Canadians talking about US politics) but to be honest I come on here to see discussions on the Oilers and hockey. This is a forum for people with a very specific interest, and that's all I am really interested in hearing about from everyone here (even the more heated discussions on the Oilers and hockey, at least it is still focused). I also really enjoy the game threads for games I am not watching, helps fill in some more of the gaps of what happened besides just the highlights.

To get back to hockey, yeah the OOT scores haven't done us many favors recently, and tonight is the last opportunity for the team to put their destiny back into their own hands (at least for getting home ice advantage in the playoffs). Should be a great back tonight and hopefully the On Thursday when then Golden Knights and Kings play it doesn't go to OT.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820664 is a reply to message #820476 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 03 April 2023 15:39

But if they're judging others, it's fair for fans to judge them in return since their bias is rooted in hate.

Lol I hate those people because I'm against hate!

We are talking about the lgbtq+ flag right?

I understand why people try to make this solely about the lg part. It's fun to make vanilla obvious statements like "love who you want!" And it would be hard for any reasonable person to disagree. And you can label anyone who disagrees or doesn't repeat the words as a terrible person. It's not a new strategy but it's effective. What im not sure about is if any individual person is just naive or intentionally obscuring the actual argument.

The truth is 99% of people and probably everyone reading this has zero problem with gay people living their life, existing etc.

If you actually wanted to have the discussion and not just virtue signal then the 'T' is where the disagreement arises. But that would mean actually defending a set of ideas and acknowledging that there is nuance to the issue.

On second thought stick to the LG.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820666 is a reply to message #820664 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Jay wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 09:42

But if they're judging others, it's fair for fans to judge them in return since their bias is rooted in hate.

everyone reading this has zero problem with gay people living their life, existing etc.

Why can't this sentiment be extended to the "T" also? I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I think every single person on earth should be able to live their life, exist etc... if you disagree with that I think you are a trash human being. I do think you can live your life, exist etc... but you living your life and me thinking you are trash (no saying you Jay, just anyone who has those beliefs) are not mutually exclusive.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820669 is a reply to message #820666 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Perkele wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 08:16

everyone reading this has zero problem with gay people living their life, existing etc.

Why can't this sentiment be extended to the "T" also? I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I think every single person on earth should be able to live their life, exist etc... if you disagree with that I think you are a trash human being. I do think you can live your life, exist etc... but you living your life and me thinking you are trash (no saying you Jay, just anyone who has those beliefs) are not mutually exclusive.

Apologies in advance for this not being in OT!!!! :)

I think the T part creates a lot more situations where there discomfort is being forced on others. There are factions of the T also that are trying to take normalizing themselves to an extreme where they demand people to actually change how they refer to themselves (you are transphobic if you do not start calling yourself cis-male or cis-female). Lots of other issues arise, many are actually ending up very disrespectful to progress women have made over the last couple hundred years. T opens up much more opportunities for perverts to try to work the system for their own needs. Creepy dudes claiming to be female so they can go into a girls washroom, etc... I know it's not that common, it's a small exception, but that's still part of human nature. You give an inch, many people out there will try to take a mile, and this worlds perv and deranged population just keeps growing with the general population. Every one off situation that comes up can blow up and paint over the whole movement for a long time.

LG stuff took a long time to get the vast majority on board with, still work to be done. I think the T thing will take much much longer.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 April 2023 09:10]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820670 is a reply to message #820669 ]
Thu, 06 April 2023 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 09:03

The NHL caused this. They made it a hockey issue.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820701 is a reply to message #820669 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 April 2023 08:03

I think the T part creates a lot more situations where there discomfort is being forced on others. There are factions of the T also that are trying to take normalizing themselves to an extreme where they demand people to actually change how they refer to themselves (you are transphobic if you do not start calling yourself cis-male or cis-female). Lots of other issues arise, many are actually ending up very disrespectful to progress women have made over the last couple hundred years. T opens up much more opportunities for perverts to try to work the system for their own needs. Creepy dudes claiming to be female so they can go into a girls washroom, etc... I know it's not that common, it's a small exception, but that's still part of human nature. You give an inch, many people out there will try to take a mile, and this worlds perv and deranged population just keeps growing with the general population. Every one off situation that comes up can blow up and paint over the whole movement for a long time.

LG stuff took a long time to get the vast majority on board with, still work to be done. I think the T thing will take much much longer.

The T is also biological. Did you know that human gender differences have been converging as part of our natural evolution? It’s a function of our self domestication.

Trans identity issues have been around forever, and suppressed by societal pressures, but they are on the rise naturally and will continue to do so over the generations. Asexuality also. It is a good thing too, as I believe it will be vital to control our over population issue.

I agree acceptance will take a some time. It takes generations, but it will happen. The T doesn’t bother kids these days. When our kids rule the world, they will roll their eyes at our transphobia.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820703 is a reply to message #820701 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Sat, 08 April 2023 12:55

The T is also biological. Did you know that human gender differences have been converging as part of our natural evolution? It’s a function of our self domestication.

Trans identity issues have been around forever, and suppressed by societal pressures, but they are on the rise naturally and will continue to do so over the generations. Asexuality also. It is a good thing too, as I believe it will be vital to control our over population issue.

I agree acceptance will take a some time. It takes generations, but it will happen. The T doesn’t bother kids these days. When our kids rule the world, they will roll their eyes at our transphobia.

Gender conversion at the genetic level or are we talking psychological? I personally would find it hard to believe that an actual biological convergence would happen at any speed we could see even in hundreds of more generations of humanity after all the time it took evolution to create humans as we have them today. I've personally never seen a serious study that suggests male and female anatomy is converging in any consistent manner, obviously there are all kinds of things that can happen by fluke during development.

That said, I think in time we could make gender matter even less with technology, if processes can be made to just combine any peoples genetics and make a baby in a lab. Not needing dudes anymore for babies plus advances in AI and robotics to do physical tasks. Be afraid lads :)

Our kids will likely be far more accepting, but there are still plenty of open questions that defy common sense and require making people scared to talk to win the argument on the more extreme T side.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 April 2023 14:04]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820708 is a reply to message #820703 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 08 April 2023 12:44

Gender conversion at the genetic level or are we talking psychological? I personally would find it hard to believe that an actual biological convergence would happen at any speed we could see even in hundreds of more generations of humanity after all the time it took evolution to create humans as we have them today. I've personally never seen a serious study that suggests male and female anatomy is converging in any consistent manner, obviously there are all kinds of things that can happen by fluke during development.

That said, I think in time we could make gender matter even less with technology, if processes can be made to just combine any peoples genetics and make a baby in a lab. Not needing dudes anymore for babies plus advances in AI and robotics to do physical tasks. Be afraid lads :)

Our kids will likely be far more accepting, but there are still plenty of open questions that defy common sense and require making people scared to talk to win the argument on the more extreme T side.

Perhaps the timing of my ideas wasn’t clear. Acceptance takes generations. Genetic changes takes 10 of thousands of years.

There have been human genetic changes over the past 300,000 years. We are less ‘manly’ than our early ancestors. There are several palaeontology studies on this. My favourite sciences are geology and palaeontology, so I often think in very long time periods. When I speak of the future, I’m thinking of 10’s of thousands of years from now.

- Calvin

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820709 is a reply to message #820708 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Sat, 08 April 2023 14:43

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 08 April 2023 12:44

Perhaps the timing of my ideas wasn’t clear. Acceptance takes generations. Genetic changes takes 10 of thousands of years.

There have been human genetic changes over the past 300,000 years. We are less ‘manly’ than our early ancestors. There are several palaeontology studies on this. My favourite sciences are geology and palaeontology, so I often think in very long time periods. When I speak of the future, I’m thinking of 10’s of thousands of years from now.

Ah, I follow you then. Imagine there is loads of debate and theory many ways on how humanity will evolve of course. Being less "manly" probably involves a load of environmental factors, in addition to the evolution of what mates found desirable traits over thousands of years. I think a huge part of not being manly now is how technology lets people survive super easily by doing almost nothing physical. Certainly a huge change just in the last 100 years that has left huge amounts of males in the 1st world turn into soft little things. Is that altering their genetics and their children (if my some miracle now they can actually find a mate) from being able to develop into what a "manly" man would be if their environment actually demanded consistently physical effort out of them? Don't think so.

I personally would have a hard time seeing there being an environmental pressure that somehow breaks having our 2 main genders.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 April 2023 14:56]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820710 is a reply to message #820709 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It’s part of the self-domestication theory. I’m comparing ourselves to cavemen rather than thinking of the last 100 years.

It’s not like our body parts will change, and therefore we will have the same two ‘sexes’. Gender and sexuality are on a spectrum though. Some will find that contentious , but I believe it to be true. I also think the percentage of our typical heterosexuals will decrease over time.

I’ll leave it at that. Enough OT for one day!

- Calvin

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820727 is a reply to message #820710 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Sat, 08 April 2023 15:24

It’s part of the self-domestication theory. I’m comparing ourselves to cavemen rather than thinking of the last 100 years.

It’s not like our body parts will change, and therefore we will have the same two ‘sexes’. Gender and sexuality are on a spectrum though. Some will find that contentious , but I believe it to be true. I also think the percentage of our typical heterosexuals will decrease over time.

I’ll leave it at that. Enough OT for one day!

I do acknowledge 100% that there are circumstances down to genetics that put a person in a situation with their hormones/development that give, just alone, biological reasons to consider them a different sex than what they appear, or traditional thought would consider them to be. These would be exceptions that would have a hard time to ever become dominant traits in humans, unless maybe we forced it artificially.

Of course I don't think having to test every person that considers themselves trans, for their genes, hormones, etc..., to give them some kind of classification on what degree of biological trans person they get to be accepted as would ever be a solution that ppl would accept. And of course I'm discounting all the reasons that aren't just down to biology that someone can feel they are in the wrong body. In any case, currently the goal appears to be you are what you say you are, and that makes you 100% that thing and we're just gonna keep pounding our way through every roadblock that is stopping that from being true in every circumstance and every way of thinking.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 April 2023 22:26]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820728 is a reply to message #820727 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

The Dys’ supposedly best players had all the accuracy of Imperial stormtroopers in the OT. Demko pulled their bacon out of the fire in the SO.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820729 is a reply to message #820728 ]
Sat, 08 April 2023 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 08 April 2023 22:52

The Dys’ supposedly best players had all the accuracy of Imperial stormtroopers in the OT. Demko pulled their bacon out of the fire in the SO.

The No Goods with loser point #16

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820479 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Mon, 03 April 2023 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Minny chokes their 3-2 lead against Vegas with 30 seconds to go in the 3rd. Sigh.

Some of those pitiful zero effort against crap team losses a couple months ago by the Oilers are really hurting rights now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820483 is a reply to message #820479 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 03 April 2023 23:37

Minny chokes their 3-2 lead against Vegas with 30 seconds to go in the 3rd. Sigh.

Some of those pitiful zero effort against crap team losses a couple months ago by the Oilers are really hurting rights now.

Yeah, that one sucked. I we were to win out, we would at worst be 2nd in the conference. For a shot at 1st in the division and conference, Vegas would need to lose at least 2 of their last 5 (NSH, LAK, DAL, SEA, SEA). No easy games for them, so certainly possible. And we easily get the tie breaker over them - so we just need to tie.

As for us - 3 very winnable games against ANA and SJS (X2). 2 tougher games against LAK and COL.

I will say - scoreboard watching to see how we can win the conference is certainly a lot more fun than hoping for a good draft pick every year.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820489 is a reply to message #820483 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

If the Flames make the playoffs, the league should be ashamed of themselves. The Flames real record when you just count wins & losses. 36 - 41. The Flames have won 7 less games than the Jets but are only 2 pts back due to the loser point.

I know from the leagues perspective, this is exactly why they have the loser point. It artificially keeps more losing teams in the race. The best the Flames can have record wise if they win out when you count wins/losses is .500.

If a team makes the playoffs, a team should win more games than they lose.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820490 is a reply to message #820489 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 10:50

If the Flames make the playoffs, the league should be ashamed of themselves. The Flames real record when you just count wins & losses. 36 - 41. The Flames have won 7 less games than the Jets but are only 2 pts back due to the loser point.

I know from the leagues perspective, this is exactly why they have the loser point. It artificially keeps more losing teams in the race. The best the Flames can have record wise if they win out when you count wins/losses is .500.

If a team makes the playoffs, a team should win more games than they lose.

If the Flames make the playoffs the Jets should be ashamed of themselves, not the league. The league's only role is making sure the rules are known and followed. Asking the league to try to control outcomes is a recipe for foolishness. Imagine if the league, through their game enforcement employees, attempted to control who makes the playoffs because they didn't like the optics of a real record 36-41 team making the playoffs. Would that be a better or worse look than what's currently happening?

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820493 is a reply to message #820490 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

It also makes for better underdog stories. Like our 2006 Oilers run. Yes we were 41-28-13, but both Vancouver and LA had 42 wins to our 41.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820496 is a reply to message #820493 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 11:16

It also makes for better underdog stories. Like our 2006 Oilers run. Yes we were 41-28-13, but both Vancouver and LA had 42 wins to our 41.

Then the Oilers shouldn't have made the playoffs that year. I can't say the Flames shouldn't this year but be Ok with the Oilers. The NHL is a professional league where the goal is to win games, that's its. This applies in the playoffs where it's winner takes all. You either win or you lose, you don't get half credit for losing a playoff game in OT. It should apply to the regular season.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #820499 is a reply to message #820496 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 11:19

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 11:16

Then the Oilers shouldn't have made the playoffs that year. I can't say the Flames shouldn't this year but be Ok with the Oilers. The NHL is a professional league where the goal is to win games, that's its. This applies in the playoffs where it's winner takes all. You either win or you lose, you don't get half credit for losing a playoff game in OT. It should apply to the regular season.

This happened pre-2006 too of course. You could make the playoffs with less wins, so long as you also had enough more ties. There has never been a time when the number of wins was the determining factor on playoff seeding.

Pages (17): [ «  <  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Flyers hire more alumni to run the team
Next Topic:Flames arena
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca