This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Three Year Woody
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Three Year Woody [message #809315]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:05 Go to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Oilers have made it official, announcing the 3 year contract of Jay Woodcroft to remain head coach

𝗪𝗢𝗢𝗗𝗬 = 𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡𝗘𝗗 ✍️

The #Oilers have extended the contract of Head Coach Jay Woodcroft through the 2024-25 season.

#LetsGoOilers 

https://twitter.com/edmontonoilers/status/153929189651779993 6?s=21&t=F9xKepPt_-Uwcqg1fEOmxQ

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809316 is a reply to message #809315 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 18 June 2022 15:55

The next move will have ppl partying in the streets, but the one after… riot.

The party on twitter has begun… who’s ready for the next part?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809320 is a reply to message #809316 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 11:08

The riot…yamo overpay? You need to be less Garfield and more Odie.

I live for chaos.

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809322 is a reply to message #809320 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 11:26

I live for chaos.

Just another topic for a different thread.

Pretty sure we should leave this one to focus on the Wood.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809353 is a reply to message #809322 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 11:29

I live for chaos.

For others curious, the answer was in the post I’m quoting

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809355 is a reply to message #809353 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 06:30

I live for chaos.

Although no one is curious, this is what I was referring in the post I'm quoting
CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 11:15

I like this signing and think it's deserved. As a fan, I couldn't help but noticed the team dramatically turned their season around right at the time Woodcroft was appointed. I do have a lingering concern any time Oilers senior management does... anything.

Are the Oilers making the best choice after serious consideration or are the making the easy choice after reviewing what's right in front of them?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809360 is a reply to message #809355 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 08:03

I live for chaos.

Although no one is curious, this is what I was referring in the post I'm quoting

I like this signing and think it's deserved. As a fan, I couldn't help but noticed the team dramatically turned their season around right at the time Woodcroft was appointed. I do have a lingering concern any time Oilers senior management does... anything.

Are the Oilers making the best choice after serious consideration or are the making the easy choice after reviewing what's right in front of them?

All of the above! This signing appeals to the Oilers management and in particular Holland for a number of reasons:

1) It's easy! Just talk to one guy, pay him what he wants and be done with it. None of that whole pesky scene of interviewing people, or trying to convince your old Red Wing/Hockey Canada friend to leave Middle of Nowhere, Saskatchewan.

2) The fans seem to like Woodcroft, so don't have to worry about getting spit and roasted on twitter all summer. That's really annoying. Not just the stupid analytics people either, but run of the mill fans, that base who still read Matheson articles! They all like the guy, so that's a nice to have.

3) It allows them to suggest that they knew they were making the right move all along when Holland made a snap decision to fire a coach who'd been struggling to get wins out of his team for two months after two straight playoff exits where they looked totally unprepared and had no adjustments to make. Right at the point he was ready to declare the season lost - remember the whole "we can't trade a high pick unless we're a contender" speech? - Woodcroft helped to completely turn things around. He tossed a coin to pick his coach, and that coach took the team to the Final Four. Is there anything better than that? Holland is a hockey genius clearly!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809362 is a reply to message #809360 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 08:42

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 08:03

I live for chaos.

All of the above! This signing appeals to the Oilers management and in particular Holland for a number of reasons:

1) It's easy! Just talk to one guy, pay him what he wants and be done with it. None of that whole pesky scene of interviewing people, or trying to convince your old Red Wing/Hockey Canada friend to leave Middle of Nowhere, Saskatchewan.

2) The fans seem to like Woodcroft, so don't have to worry about getting spit and roasted on twitter all summer. That's really annoying. Not just the stupid analytics people either, but run of the mill fans, that base who still read Matheson articles! They all like the guy, so that's a nice to have.

3) It allows them to suggest that they knew they were making the right move all along when Holland made a snap decision to fire a coach who'd been struggling to get wins out of his team for two months after two straight playoff exits where they looked totally unprepared and had no adjustments to make. Right at the point he was ready to declare the season lost - remember the whole "we can't trade a high pick unless we're a contender" speech? - Woodcroft helped to completely turn things around. He tossed a coin to pick his coach, and that coach took the team to the Final Four. Is there anything better than that? Holland is a hockey genius clearly!

So would you have preferred the Oilers to not sign Woody? I don't understand why anyone could not be celebrating this move completely. How do you poke holes in this?

They picked a young guy with fresh ideas instead of a retread - GOOD.
They didn't go Habs and just pick a former player who's never coached before. They picked a young guy that literally started at the bottom, worked his way up and had success. - GOOD.
They picked a guy who literally coached, worked with or developed most of the key guys that make up the team now and into the future. If there is a guy that should know how to properly deploy the bulk of the Oilers roster, it's Woody. - GOOD
They picked a guy that has had success where ever he coached. - GOOD
They picked a guy that the players like and clearly believe in. -GOOD
They picked a guy that likes to use numbers. - GOOD

The fact that the fans like him is a bonus. The fact that he was in the organization is a bonus. The Oilers actually didn't overthink it, didn't try to be smarter than everyone else and they didn't go stupid. They actually made the right choice and you want to poke holes in it still! I guess you guys just can't help yourselves. icon_lol

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809363 is a reply to message #809362 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 08:52

So would you have preferred the Oilers to not sign Woody? I don't understand why anyone could not be celebrating this move completely. How do you poke holes in this?

They didn't go Habs and just pick a former player who's never coached before. They picked a young guy that literally started at the bottom, worked his way up and had success. - GOOD.
They picked a guy who literally coached, worked with or developed most of the key guys that make up the team now and into the future. If there is a guy that should know how to properly deploy the bulk of the Oilers roster, it's Woody. - GOOD

The fact that the fans like him is a bonus. The fact that he was in the organization is a bonus. The Oilers actually didn't overthink it, didn't try to be smarter than everyone else and they didn't go stupid. They actually made the right choice and you want to poke holes in it still! I guess you guys just can't help yourselves. icon_lol

Maybe you haven't been paying attention. I like Woodcroft and wanted him re-signed. I wanted him re-signed before the playoff run even. I believe CrusaderPi is on board there too.

However, it's fun to point out that our bumbling, long-past-his-prime general manager only has Woodcroft and Manson because he was serious about keeping Tippett until we lost one ugly game in February so did no homework on coaches. He didn't really know who was available, he just said there were two people right in front of me, and the season is pretty much finished anyhow, so it doesn't much matter. Remember, he didn't even know who was replacing Woodcroft as coach of the AHL team when he had his press conference.

It wasn't well thought out, but he got lucky and we benefited from his laziness - probably moreso than we would have if he'd demonstrated any prudence around the firing and hiring, because what he's shown is generally poor judgement, so we probably would have had another old recycled coach.

There is talk that he wants his son to play a bigger role but that Brad Holland is a big believer in analytics. I think it would be hilarious if laziness and nepotism actually both combined to make the Oilers a better team. It seems so unlikely that we'd finally get serious positive bounces from those enduring Oilers management traits, but then I guess it really is true that the million monkeys could write War and Peace given enough time...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809364 is a reply to message #809363 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 09:00

Maybe you haven't been paying attention. I like Woodcroft and wanted him re-signed. I wanted him re-signed before the playoff run even. I believe CrusaderPi is on board there too.

However, it's fun to point out that our bumbling, long-past-his-prime general manager only has Woodcroft and Manson because he was serious about keeping Tippett until we lost one ugly game in February so did no homework on coaches. He didn't really know who was available, he just said there were two people right in front of me, and the season is pretty much finished anyhow, so it doesn't much matter. Remember, he didn't even know who was replacing Woodcroft as coach of the AHL team when he had his press conference.

It wasn't well thought out, but he got lucky and we benefited from his laziness - probably moreso than we would have if he'd demonstrated any prudence around the firing and hiring, because what he's shown is generally poor judgement, so we probably would have had another old recycled coach.

There is talk that he wants his son to play a bigger role but that Brad Holland is a big believer in analytics. I think it would be hilarious if laziness and nepotism actually both combined to make the Oilers a better team. It seems so unlikely that we'd finally get serious positive bounces from those enduring Oilers management traits, but then I guess it really is true that the million monkeys could write War and Peace given enough time...

Just wait until the forthcoming trade.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809365 is a reply to message #809364 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 09:12

Oh stop.

I'm fully on board with re-signing Woodcroft with one caveat: The Oilers figured out and understand WHY the turn around happened. I have this nagging fear it was somewhat circumstantial, unsustainable, and playoff success was based on playing bad Smythe Division teams.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809366 is a reply to message #809365 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 09:18

Oh stop.

I'm fully on board with re-signing Woodcroft with one caveat: The Oilers figured out and understand WHY the turn around happened. I have this nagging fear it was somewhat circumstantial, unsustainable, and playoff success was based on playing bad Smythe Division teams.

That’s what I’m saying with that tho. We’ll soon all see Holland and the Oilers have not figured it out and believe it was strictly the new voice of Woodcroft and Manson.

*I fully endorse Woody and Manson, but I’m also a firm believer this team gets bounced first round next season without appropriate player personnel changes.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809385 is a reply to message #809366 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 08:27

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 09:18

Oh stop.

That’s what I’m saying with that tho. We’ll soon all see Holland and the Oilers have not figured it out and believe it was strictly the new voice of Woodcroft and Manson.

*I fully endorse Woody and Manson, but I’m also a firm believer this team gets bounced first round next season without appropriate player personnel changes.

I like the Woodly signing, him and Manson made a difference.. but .. it also coincided with the acquisition of Kane who was on a heater for the entire time he was on the team.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809367 is a reply to message #809363 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have been paying attention, that is why I am surprised this particular thread isn't just filled with positives. They hired the right guy, made the right call. They picked who most think earned the job and was the right guy for the job.

But like you said, you take pleasure in being a bit of a debbie downer. "yes it's great BUT......." I was just surprised there would be anything positives in this particular thread but I shouldn't have been.

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809368 is a reply to message #809367 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 09:27

I have been paying attention, that is why I am surprised this particular thread isn't just filled with positives. They hired the right guy, made the right call. They picked who most think earned the job and was the right guy for the job.

But like you said, you take pleasure in being a bit of a debbie downer. "yes it's great BUT......." I was just surprised there would be anything positives in this particular thread but I shouldn't have been.

Why wouldn't we want discussion that goes a little deeper than surface level thinking? Why this is a good hiring is much more interesting than it simply being a good hiring.

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809374 is a reply to message #809368 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 09:32

Why wouldn't we want discussion that goes a little deeper than surface level thinking? Why this is a good hiring is much more interesting than it simply being a good hiring.

Holland just said in their little presser, “It’s the way the team responded”

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809376 is a reply to message #809374 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 10:25

Holland just said in their little presser, “It’s the way the team responded”

See? Now we know. No worries.

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809389 is a reply to message #809367 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Blame the invention of stuff like viagra. People taking Woody's for granted.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809318 is a reply to message #809315 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kypreos was correct!

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809321 is a reply to message #809315 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I think it’s the first time I’ve seen an Oilers coach use the team the way it should. Split up McDavid and Draisaitl when they were healthy, took major advantage of line matches in playoffs, and was not scared to go 11-7 if its a better lineup. He played young players too.

Additionally, he doesn’t use the media to dump on his players, and he is sensitive to giving out information.

I love that he’s a long time video coach. Excited to see what his systems are with a full training camp and season.

Sure beats old time coaches who’s only ideas are to play McDavid and Draisaitl together.

Clean house or bust

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809323 is a reply to message #809315 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Confirmed by DNB, the best of Oilers media, Woody and Holland will be speak to media tomorrow.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809325 is a reply to message #809315 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://c.tenor.com/FUTQ597etoAAAAAC/yay.gif

Glad to have a woody long term.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809328 is a reply to message #809315 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 10:05

Oilers have made it official, announcing the 3 year contract of Jay Woodcroft to remain head coach

𝗪𝗢𝗢𝗗𝗬 = 𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡𝗘𝗗 ✍️

The #Oilers have extended the contract of Head Coach Jay Woodcroft through the 2024-25 season.

#LetsGoOilers 

https://twitter.com/edmontonoilers/status/153929189651779993 6?s=21&t=F9xKepPt_-Uwcqg1fEOmxQ

Hope Manson is signed next, IMHO he's a big factor in Woodly's success.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809331 is a reply to message #809328 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 13:03

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 10:05

𝗪𝗢𝗢𝗗𝗬 = 𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡𝗘𝗗 ✍️

#LetsGoOilers 

Hope Manson is signed next, IMHO he's a big factor in Woodly's success.

Manson is returning as well, just not announced yet.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809346 is a reply to message #809331 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I wonder about Gully, Wiseman and Schwartz?

Curious if there are other changes to the coaching group.

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809349 is a reply to message #809346 ]
Tue, 21 June 2022 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 21:17

I sure hope the man can have full authority over coaching personnel.

Clean house or bust

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809352 is a reply to message #809349 ]
Wed, 22 June 2022 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 21 June 2022 23:40

Sounds like entire staff will return

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809648 is a reply to message #809352 ]
Thu, 30 June 2022 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 06:28

Looks Wiseman is seeya later skater.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /changes-afoot-in-edmonton-oilers-assistant-coaching-and-pro -scouting-ranks/wcm/373a9649-2182-4ddd-b21c-488e27de83ad/amp /

Re: Three Year Woody [message #809665 is a reply to message #809648 ]
Fri, 01 July 2022 09:33 Go to previous message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2022 18:09

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 June 2022 06:28

Looks Wiseman is seeya later skater.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /changes-afoot-in-edmonton-oilers-assistant-coaching-and-pro -scouting-ranks/wcm/373a9649-2182-4ddd-b21c-488e27de83ad/amp /

Wiseman not gone, likely take different role in org fwiw

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:Management and Coaching Staff updates
Next Topic:Brad Malone is back baby!
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca