This day on April 16
Acquired: Ty Conklin (2001)

Happy Birthday To: Ryno, Rifle, tollen, oiler-dude, oiler4life, Big T, MikeHawk, ryanbatty, jtb36, retirealreadymikekeane

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808896]
Mon, 13 June 2022 08:49 Go to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

No surprise here, signs with hc Lugano

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808897 is a reply to message #808896 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Mon, 13 June 2022 08:49

No surprise here, signs with hc Lugano

Good luck to Kostko. Did his best here. The contracts never made sense, but that isn't his fault. That falls on our stupid management.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808901 is a reply to message #808896 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Chiarelli's contract made him rich and also made him a scapegoat for the fans and media.

I would have immediately ripped open my index finger with my bare teeth, signed that contract in my own blood, and walked into it into the NHL offices to have it processed in front of my own two eyes myself if I were him.

A serviceable replacement level NHL'er. Good luck Koski, you gave us lots of memories.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808904 is a reply to message #808901 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I agree with all of this. So long and thanks for all the fish Mikko.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808907 is a reply to message #808904 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 June 2022 09:00

I agree with all of this. So long and thanks for all the fish Mikko.

Yep. He was okay, I'm glad we no longer have that cap hit. I fear where and how we spend the freed up cash - especially if we were to get a windfall from retirements too...

Good luck in the Swiss League Mikko!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808905 is a reply to message #808901 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think he was unfairly treated here in Edmonton by the fans. He was a goalie capable of giving the team good games, at times long stretches of good play, he just wasn't a starter. That's what a good NHL back up does. If he was your back up and paid accordingly, you are fine.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808915 is a reply to message #808896 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

As stated, he was not a bad goalie, just one that will always have a bit of a sour legacy here due to his usage and the contract. Here are some things to his credit though:

He is 9th in games played by an Oilers goalie.
He is 6th in wins with 83 (ahead of Dwayne Roloson and Curtis Joseph).
He has the 7th best save % by goalies with over 20 games played.

I know some of that just shows that the Oilers don't exactly have a long list of great goalies in their history, but just wanted to give him some credit. Good luck to Mikko on the next part of his career, I wish him nothing but the best.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2022 11:10]

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808920 is a reply to message #808896 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

So this means holland starts the year with only Smith on the roster right? Now that he struck out on Koskinen?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808922 is a reply to message #808920 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skinner and Smith unless there was a deal in place for Smith to make some cash and retire. Then it's Skinner and ??? or ??? and ???. Right now Smith is by far the best option the Oilers have.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808930 is a reply to message #808922 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Maybe Keith drops back to goalie to finish out his career.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808946 is a reply to message #808896 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Koski did his best, never complained, great teammate, had some outstanding games, kept Oilers in the playoff race when Smith was injured.. all the best in Switzerland 👍🏻

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808950 is a reply to message #808946 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I just googled where he is going and it's absolutely stunning. I think they get their living expenses paid, plus making a decent wage I am sure while not getting to hear on the radio or on social media how much you suck on a daily basis. I can see why he'd sign there.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808951 is a reply to message #808950 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 June 2022 15:45

I just googled where he is going and it's absolutely stunning. I think they get their living expenses paid, plus making a decent wage I am sure while not getting to hear on the radio or on social media how much you suck on a daily basis. I can see why he'd sign there.

Pro Athletes shouldn’t be listening to the sports radio shows or scrolling through the comment sections of Twitter. Just listened to an old episode of Spittin’Chiclers with Scott Gomez. He spoke openly how most hockey players avoid the trap, because it mind-bend you if you give it any attention.

Even if you’re playing unreal, those are toxic environments created only for havoc and clicks. I couldn’t imagine living under the constant scrutiny with unrealistic expectations everyday of my career.

Hope he does well over there and still avoids the sports news and social media. People are terrible.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808953 is a reply to message #808951 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 13 June 2022 16:08

Pro Athletes shouldn’t be listening to the sports radio shows or scrolling through the comment sections of Twitter. Just listened to an old episode of Spittin’Chiclers with Scott Gomez. He spoke openly how most hockey players avoid the trap, because it mind-bend you if you give it any attention.

Even if you’re playing unreal, those are toxic environments created only for havoc and clicks. I couldn’t imagine living under the constant scrutiny with unrealistic expectations everyday of my career.

Scotty Gomez would know a thing or two about listening to fans, that's for sure.

Unrelated, he did a cameo for my fantasy hockey league, The Gomez Cup, so named to memorialize him falling off a cliff after signing that contract. Life's funny.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808955 is a reply to message #808953 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 June 2022 16:11

Scotty Gomez would know a thing or two about listening to fans, that's for sure.

Unrelated, he did a cameo for my fantasy hockey league, The Gomez Cup, so named to memorialize him falling off a cliff after signing that contract. Life's funny.

Haha. That’s awesome!

Gomer talked about how everyday in the league was a Saturday right up until his year long goal scoring drought. Then everyday was a ‘Monday’.

The guy is an absolute gem. The best story teller I’ve ever listened too.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808958 is a reply to message #808951 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Hope he does well over there and still avoids the sports news and social media. People are terrible.

I am not saying he listens to the post game show or sport talk radio like fans do but I think it's naive to think these guys don't hear at least some of it. They don't live in caves. Plus there are plenty of key board warriors who get off sending athletes hate. So I am sure he say plenty.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808964 is a reply to message #808958 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

They obviously hear some, but I bet it’s almost as much from a face to face level as it is via media.

You see how guys like Lehner handle it. I would be a mess.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808976 is a reply to message #808964 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Best of luck Kosk!

He (and Smith) both gave everything they had. For that I thank him and wish him the best!

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808995 is a reply to message #808958 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 June 2022 16:37

I am not saying he listens to the post game show or sport talk radio like fans do but I think it's naive to think these guys don't hear at least some of it. They don't live in caves. Plus there are plenty of key board warriors who get off sending athletes hate. So I am sure he say plenty.

So you're saying JP sees all the names you call him?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809024 is a reply to message #808995 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 09:39

So you're saying JP sees all the names you call him?

When did I call him a name since he came back? If you are going to accuse me of something, please produce the evidence.

I have said repeatedly I would like to him to use his god given physical tools more often. When he does, it's difficult for the opposition to handle him, I just don't think he uses it to his advantage as often as he should. I have also said he needs to bury more of the point blank feeds he gets from McD. I have said I think he would benefit from a skills coach. If the best players in the NHL including McD use skills coaches, I think it would help him.

Where is the name calling?

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809030 is a reply to message #809024 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

anyone else see that bear get poked?

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809000 is a reply to message #808958 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Well, a venerable old sportswriter basically told him he sucked in an interview earlier this year. Whether they subject themselves to fan opinions or not, there's no avoiding Edmonton sports media - who are worse than almost any fan and who'll call you pissy if you push back on them at all.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809006 is a reply to message #809000 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 09:02

Well, a venerable old sportswriter basically told him he sucked in an interview earlier this year. Whether they subject themselves to fan opinions or not, there's no avoiding Edmonton sports media - who are worse than almost any fan and who'll call you pissy if you push back on them at all.

Was that the one where Matheson told him none of the fans wanted him here? What a nightmare those guys are.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809007 is a reply to message #809006 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 10:26

Was that the one where Matheson told him none of the fans wanted him here? What a nightmare those guys are.

That's the one!

If the Oilers were a serious franchise, they would have had a conversation with Matheson this year about what it takes to keep his access. There's no need to keep giving this guy a chance to act like an entitled jackass to the players.

Either that or talk to the Edmonton Journal about putting the "Hall of Fame" crew out to pasture. I'm not sure they have much more of value to offer, and every day they are kept on erodes their legacy that much more.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809020 is a reply to message #809007 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 09:30

That's the one!

If the Oilers were a serious franchise, they would have had a conversation with Matheson this year about what it takes to keep his access. There's no need to keep giving this guy a chance to act like an entitled jackass to the players.

Either that or talk to the Edmonton Journal about putting the "Hall of Fame" crew out to pasture. I'm not sure they have much more of value to offer, and every day they are kept on erodes their legacy that much more.

They are definitely past their best before dates and it's just making things worse. But I don't see the EJ doing anything for fear of alienating their older loyal readers who think they are good journalists from the golden 80s. They also know the value of hot take clicks being the same as any other click.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809023 is a reply to message #809020 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 14:33

That's the one!

They are definitely past their best before dates and it's just making things worse. But I don't see the EJ doing anything for fear of alienating their older loyal readers who think they are good journalists from the golden 80s. They also know the value of hot take clicks being the same as any other click.

I forgot about ol'Matty's comment. That should have been strike 2 and 7/8's after that comment.

I am all for hard hitting questions, but there was no journalism going on in that scenario.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #809033 is a reply to message #809023 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 13:40

nullterm wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 14:33

That's the one!

I forgot about ol'Matty's comment. That should have been strike 2 and 7/8's after that comment.

I am all for hard hitting questions, but there was no journalism going on in that scenario.

Once you understand Matty is out there trying to provoke the players into reacting in some way that he can dunk on in print, all your respect for the guy is gone. The guy is just another greybeard hot take keyboard warrior but with a bigger platform.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #812076 is a reply to message #809033 ]
Thu, 22 September 2022 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Koskinen off to a good start in Switzerland.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/00 11732023.html

19 Mikko Koskinen 2 119 1 0.50 0 0 0 0 0 50 0.980

Tied for the team lead in PIM too.

Granlund and Arcobello also playing for Lugano

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #812077 is a reply to message #812076 ]
Thu, 22 September 2022 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 22 September 2022 11:01

Koskinen off to a good start in Switzerland.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/00 11732023.html

19 Mikko Koskinen 2 119 1 0.50 0 0 0 0 0 50 0.980

Tied for the team lead in PIM too.

Granlund and Arcobello also playing for Lugano

Not surprising. He was always such a goon on the Oilers, throwing his weight around and intimidating the opposition …

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #812078 is a reply to message #812077 ]
Thu, 22 September 2022 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Good numbers. 4 year extension!

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #812079 is a reply to message #812078 ]
Thu, 22 September 2022 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 22 September 2022 11:27

Smart. Won't have to worry about the UFA market for 4 years. Can't put a price on that kind of safe and secure feeling.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #812080 is a reply to message #812079 ]
Thu, 22 September 2022 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2022 12:21

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 22 September 2022 11:27

Smart. Won't have to worry about the UFA market for 4 years. Can't put a price on that kind of safe and secure feeling.

If they offered Koskinen a 4 year deal he'd probably collapse into a PTSD induced ball.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #812084 is a reply to message #812080 ]
Thu, 22 September 2022 13:23 Go to previous message

No Cups

and roll around in his piles of money.

Re: Koskinen officially signs in the Swiss league [message #808961 is a reply to message #808896 ]
Mon, 13 June 2022 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Good luck in Europe Koskinen, you did your best here, and like others said, you signed the contract you were offered, it's not your fault it was too much.

Previous Topic:RNH to sign 8yr/41M extension
Next Topic:McLeod signed 1 year / $798k
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca