This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801449]
Wed, 09 March 2022 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Washington to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801481 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Watched a whole 5 minutes of this game and saw 3 or 4 obvious penalties that the refs were looking right at and ignored.

Best league in the world baby!

Nice to see a win. And that depth scoring keeps coming. Need to combine that with the big boys getting hot 5v5.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801485 is a reply to message #801481 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 00:00

Watched a whole 5 minutes of this game and saw 3 or 4 obvious penalties that the refs were looking right at and ignored.

Best league in the world baby!

Nice to see a win. And that depth scoring keeps coming. Need to combine that with the big boys getting hot 5v5.

Same here. That was the worst officiating I've seen since our playoff run vs Anaheim. Absolutely brutal by the refs.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801486 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Man this team really has a hard time getting a win.
Great game by Malone. 1G 1A .. he brings a consistent, solid, smart game.
Impressed by Broberg, great skater, made some smart rushes, but also broke up the cycle quite well, and got the puck out of trouble.. he's made some progress. Has to be more NHL aware for those hits, he was getting creamed his last time up.. better now, but still got nailed once pretty good.. He's in good hands with Manson.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801487 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

This guy thinks the Oil are better than they've looked
https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1501710773273432064?cx t=HHwWgMC4xb3_ktcpAAAA

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801488 is a reply to message #801487 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 21:10

https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1501710773273432064?cx t=HHwWgMC4xb3_ktcpAAAA

If they had average goaltending, were a bit harder to play against and health. Maybe.

Gotta make it first. Which Oscargasm doesn’t believe they will.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801491 is a reply to message #801488 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 21:16

If they had average goaltending, were a bit harder to play against and health. Maybe.

Gotta make it first. Which Oscargasm doesn’t believe they will.

Over .900 tonight, so that's something. What Mike Smith wouldn't give for an over .900 night again...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801492 is a reply to message #801487 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Somehow we have gone from a total crap 5v5 team to a good one in the last few weeks, at least in terms of share of chances. McDrai have obviously gone cold, but that could flip any moment.

Big errors defensively, a flip to generationally bad special teams and some brutal goaltending holding us back lately.

Defensive stuff, maybe can improve with some time. Special teams, I still highly doubt Tippett took any secret sauce with him. The issue there is partially losing Nuge, but mostly McDrai being off their games, and combo of brain farts and bad goaltending for stuff going the other way. Hardest one to figure out is goaltending unless Kostko or Skinner can catch fire. I just find it impossible to imagine Holland pulling off a good trade for a goalie.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801494 is a reply to message #801492 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 20:23

Somehow we have gone from a total crap 5v5 team to a good one in the last few weeks, at least in terms of share of chances. McDrai have obviously gone cold, but that could flip any moment.

Big errors defensively, a flip to generationally bad special teams and some brutal goaltending holding us back lately.

Defensive stuff, maybe can improve with some time. Special teams, I still highly doubt Tippett took any secret sauce with him. The issue there is partially losing Nuge, but mostly McDrai being off their games, and combo of brain farts and bad goaltending for stuff going the other way. Hardest one to figure out is goaltending unless Kostko or Skinner can catch fire. I just find it impossible to imagine Holland pulling off a good trade for a goalie.

Hopefully we get Noog and JP back, improve our top 6, and create an effective 3rd line again.. reduce McD LD ice time.. LD looks gassed.. and our PK will get much better with 93.

Maybe bring up Holloway.

Holloway McD JP

Kane LD Hyman

McLeod Nuge Yamo

Foogle Ryan Kassian

Malone, Archibald

or some variation..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801495 is a reply to message #801494 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 21:30

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 20:23

Hopefully we get Noog and JP back, improve our top 6, and create an effective 3rd line again.. reduce McD LD ice time.. LD looks gassed.. and our PK will get much better with 93.

Maybe bring up Holloway.

Holloway McD JP

Kane LD Hyman

McLeod Nuge Yamo

Foogle Ryan Kassian

Malone, Archibald

or some variation..

I don’t anticipate them bringing Dyl up. Maybe for playoffs for the atmosphere but he doesn’t play. I think it’s more realistic we see Archibald dress for a game than Dyl.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801500 is a reply to message #801494 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 21:30

Holloway McD JP

Kane LD Hyman

McLeod Nuge Yamo

Foogle Ryan Kassian

Malone, Archibald

or some variation..

The plan with Archibald should be to trade him for whatever we can get for him. It's not worth it to have a guy who can't travel with the team. If he were to come back now, he's eligible to play only 14 of the final 24 games, and I think he'd need to drive to Calgary and Vancouver to get in those ones.

If we make the playoffs, there's really only one Canadian team in our conference that we could match up against, so if we go deep, the best case scenario sees him playing in about 60% of games, but more likely he's only able to play at home.

He's taken a selfish stance that has made him pretty well useless to us. If you can get a late draft pick, take it and move on from the player. I'd even be fine seeing management express some frustration after the trade that the player forced their hand by not taking a pretty basic step, and that it is pretty hard to respect that decision since it absolutely hurts the team.

I see zero logic in wasting a roster spot on him.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801489 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

So we saw a meh penalty called on Drai in OT v Chicago.. and then the caps are allowed to do what they did tonight in OT? <insert Jonah Hill okay, okay, okay gif>

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801490 is a reply to message #801489 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 20:18

So we saw a meh penalty called on Drai in OT v Chicago.. and then the caps are allowed to do what they did tonight in OT? <insert Jonah Hill okay, okay, okay gif>

yeah that was brutal, NHL game management mode in full effect..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801493 is a reply to message #801489 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

This team takes years off my life. I’m on the wrong side of my 40’s. Killing me softly.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801496 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

@NHL_Sid

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNddzwgVEAML85D?format=png&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801497 is a reply to message #801496 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 21:41

@NHL_Sid

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNddzwgVEAML85D?format=png&name=small

But. He’s a vet

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801498 is a reply to message #801496 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

<50% xGF % players with Woodcroft: Barrie, Niemelainen, Kane, Turris, Perlini

<50% xGF % players Before Woodcroft: Basically every depth player except Ryan who was 51.11% but insane bad luck still left him in the toilet. Essentially the usual under the Tip, if you played lots with McDavid you were >50%. If not...pain.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801502 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

A big dose of playoff reffing. I wouldn't have been surprised if the Caps distracted the officials while one of their players brought a folding chair or a good ol' 'foreign object' (a reference for all you other old effers that remember Stampede
Wrestling), and started on McDavid with them in the corner. The league should be embarrassed.

Hyman stood out to me among the Oilers forwards tonight. Ceci among the D. Need that kind of play going forward.

Still some heart stopping errors that will kill this club if not eliminated. Sometimes the best defense is to play offense in the other end, the Oilers pressed the play for a good part of this game as clearly their situation should be serious as a heart attack to them. They've got themselves in a position where they cannot let up, they quite frankly need another run to get on the right side of some other teams.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801507 is a reply to message #801502 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 21:59

A big dose of playoff reffing. I wouldn't have been surprised if the Caps distracted the officials while one of their players brought a folding chair or a good ol' 'foreign object' (a reference for all you other old effers that remember Stampede
Wrestling), and started on McDavid with them in the corner. The league should be embarrassed.

Hyman stood out to me among the Oilers forwards tonight. Ceci among the D. Need that kind of play going forward.

Still some heart stopping errors that will kill this club if not eliminated. Sometimes the best defense is to play offense in the other end, the Oilers pressed the play for a good part of this game as clearly their situation should be serious as a heart attack to them. They've got themselves in a position where they cannot let up, they quite frankly need another run to get on the right side of some other teams.

Yeah Hyman is always chugging.. he's balls out every second of every shift.
Ceci to me has been our best defenceman that plays defense.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801510 is a reply to message #801507 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Horrendous officiating aside, this was a fun game to watch.

Might be a victim of KoolAid, but add in JP and Nuge, and that is a pretty solid forward group. Holland's shopping list wouldn't need to include any forward IMO. Maybe a top 4 Dman if he could find one, but most importantly, a solid goalie. This team to me feels like 2006, where with a solid goalie I could absolutely see us being a threat. Differently strengths than that 2006 team to be sure, but the exact same glaring hole. Plug that, and the sky's the limit. drink

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801513 is a reply to message #801510 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 09:49

Might be a victim of KoolAid, but add in JP and Nuge, and that is a pretty solid forward group. Holland's shopping list wouldn't need to include any forward IMO. Maybe a top 4 Dman if he could find one, but most importantly, a solid goalie. This team to me feels like 2006, where with a solid goalie I could absolutely see us being a threat. Differently strengths than that 2006 team to be sure, but the exact same glaring hole. Plug that, and the sky's the limit. drink

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Rangers are rumoured to be shipping Georgiev (sp?) I don't know much about him, but it sounds like he'd be a decent upgrade over what we have. Probably wouldn't be particularly cheap, but at some point you've just gotta suck it up and pay. Especially for a position that's been so weak for us for so long now.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801515 is a reply to message #801513 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 07:02

Mike wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 09:49

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Rangers are rumoured to be shipping Georgiev (sp?) I don't know much about him, but it sounds like he'd be a decent upgrade over what we have. Probably wouldn't be particularly cheap, but at some point you've just gotta suck it up and pay. Especially for a position that's been so weak for us for so long now.

The big question for the Rangers and Georgiev is are they legit shopping him right now or more so the offseason? I just have a hard time believing they are willing to trade him right now as they head into the playoffs. They still need a decent back up for Shesterkin so I have my doubts they would trade him now unless some team just offers them a ridiculous package they can't refuse.

When it comes to the Oilers, I do think the players genuinely like, play for and believe in Koskinen. Anyone else see McD after scoring the OT winner skate the length of the ice, borderline pushing past most of his teammates to give Koskinen a big hug? I still think ultimately need a different guy but at least they believe in 1 guy.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801518 is a reply to message #801515 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Another good game for Broberg. Still early and lots of room for him to develop but he's looking like he will be a real good dman.

I thought Kassian was quite good last night. First game back in a long time so they didn't play him a ton but got an assist on a goal, he 5 hits. He was more physical than I expected him to be consider I am sure his jaw isn't 100% healed yet. Good on him.

Ceci was damn good again last night.

Easily the worst officiated game I have seen in a long time. That hook on Hyman. He was going to be on a breakaway and would have scored into the empty net to ice it. With only 2 games in the league last night, I am sure that was the featured game in the US and Canada. You can't as a league let that happen. Then the CAPS tied it! Can you imagine the outcry if the Caps won in OT. I bet the league sighed a massive relief that the Oilers won. I doubt it will happen but I hope those refs got an earful from the league. Embarrassing.

Samsonov was unfreaking believable. He must have made 5-10 save of the month saves last night.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2022 08:38]

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801526 is a reply to message #801518 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 07:33

You can't as a league let that happen. Then the CAPS tied it! Can you imagine the outcry if the Caps won in OT. I bet the league sighed a massive relief that the Oilers won. I doubt it will happen but I hope those refs got an earful from the league. Embarrassing.

I disagree, I think that result was exactly what the league wanted. Parity is the primary goal. The refs are there to manage the game and make sure that games stay close and as many as possible go to OT because then everyone gets at least a point and the standing stay close. We've been yelling on here forever about how the Bettman point is dumb and that having some games worth more than others doesn't make any sense. The league has obviously heard those same complaints and have made the decision that they like things the way they are.

Stuff like this has been going on too long to believe that it's anything but intentional.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801527 is a reply to message #801526 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 10:19

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 07:33

You can't as a league let that happen. Then the CAPS tied it! Can you imagine the outcry if the Caps won in OT. I bet the league sighed a massive relief that the Oilers won. I doubt it will happen but I hope those refs got an earful from the league. Embarrassing.

I disagree, I think that result was exactly what the league wanted. Parity is the primary goal. The refs are there to manage the game and make sure that games stay close and as many as possible go to OT because then everyone gets at least a point and the standing stay close. We've been yelling on here forever about how the Bettman point is dumb and that having some games worth more than others doesn't make any sense. The league has obviously heard those same complaints and have made the decision that they like things the way they are.

Stuff like this has been going on too long to believe that it's anything but intentional.

You could be right. The game was already a very exciting, close game. Not calling a blatantly obvious, potentially result altering call, won't have taken away from the fact it was a back and forth game that was down to the wire.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801547 is a reply to message #801527 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 March 2022 09:34

You could be right. The game was already a very exciting, close game. Not calling a blatantly obvious, potentially result altering call, won't have taken away from the fact it was a back and forth game that was down to the wire.

I don't think the league cares much if the game is exciting or not. If they did, they'd start calling hooks and interference on McDavid so that he has more room to skate out there. They really just want all the games and, more importantly, the standings to be close.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801542 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Here's some Post Malone
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/post-raw--malone-030922/t-2 77437406/c-10866368

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58) [message #801553 is a reply to message #801449 ]
Thu, 10 March 2022 19:25 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Pink Whitney had a few things to say about the refs last night...

https://twitter.com/ryanwhitney6/status/1501767927141478401? cxt=HHwWgsC9haP-rNcpAAAA

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #59)
Next Topic:GDT: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca