Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Calgary to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801282 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfann  is currently offline Oilfann

No Cups

To bad a team can only move up 10 spots this year in the draft lottery. We are good at winning that.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801283 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/photos/ron-low-1996-41.jpg

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801288 is a reply to message #801283 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Right?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801284 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Goodbye playoffs.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801285 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

We don't make playoffs, I fear the end of the McDavid days.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801286 is a reply to message #801285 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 22:24

You and I both.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801287 is a reply to message #801286 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Was KOSKI the problem? I wasn't watching closely but he seemed to be challenging everything that was thrown at him.
The usual PP goal against.
Maybe the second goal by Tafoli was one that Markstrom would have saved...
And a horrible turnover when someone other than McD tries to carry the puck over the blue line.

When DEVIN SHORE is your only goal scorer the issues go deeper than tonight's KOSKI, maybe.
What happened to our PP?

But all that said, Markstrom was the better goalie...

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801289 is a reply to message #801287 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

The Oilers just aren't even close to being good enough. Treliving has out-GM'd Holland, Sutter is a brilliant coach and the Flames have a deep roster playing very responsible hockey.

The Oilers are a joke in comparison, right now.

At this point, I'd rather this organization trade McDavid and Draisaitl, if only to try to have them play for actual contending teams. The Oilers don't have the organizational desire to win. They just don't care enough. Honestly, we might as well accept it... they just don't care enough as an organization. Who knows, maybe the Oil will fluke out and win one of those trades. Highly unlikely, but you never know?

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2022 23:05]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801328 is a reply to message #801286 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 22:38

You and I both.

I think last night was a collective moment in time for all Oilers fans. That was my last thought I went to bed with and the first thought I woke up with. With the current management group, and our cap position, I do not see another way this can unfold.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801303 is a reply to message #801285 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Does it really matter to have McDavid if the team is still a loser? At this point I'd mctrade the 2 Hart guys instantly for the core of a hard working competent winning hockey team with term, if that could somehow be guaranteed.

I don't even care that much about that anymore other than being embarrassed that the club I've supported for 42 years somehow can't build a winner out of 2 Hart trophy/art Ross/Lindsay winners in their primes. That fact would be one for the record books I would think.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801307 is a reply to message #801303 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 03:02

I don't even care that much about that anymore other than being embarrassed that the club I've supported for 42 years somehow can't build a winner out of 2 Hart trophy/art Ross/Lindsay winners in their primes. That fact would be one for the record books I would think.

I know I’m beating a dead horse, but this last off season was a total disaster. Hyman is much better than I expected, so am really liking that move. I like Foegele and Ryan (now anyway). But sending assets to Chicago for a full $5.5M cap hit 38 year old Keith was one of the worst trades in franchise history all things considered. Especially when you see Philadelphia a few days later PAY Arizona a 2nd and a 7th to take 28 year old Gostisbehere (who is $1m cheaper). I don’t mind Keith, but they should have let the Hawks buy him out and then sign him for $1m or whatever. Or at least take Neal or Koskinen back.

And again, no summer ever saw so many goalies moved/signed. To go back into this season with Smith and Koskinen should have been a fireable offense for the whole management team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801308 is a reply to message #801285 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Good. Free Connor from this gong show organization.
He’ll take a lot of fans with him.

I don’t care how long I’ve been a fan. Like a divorce, it will be HATE toward the Oilers and wishing them nothing but Kevin Lowe memories and nutswinging of the rest of those old pricks

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801290 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Gd it, I hate when a coach change doesn't fix everything. It's literally the only possible path we have to this team being good as long as Lowe, Bobby and the gang are in charge. Lineup is aways gonna have huge flaws because management always gonna be a bunch of morons. The only place where we can still fluke out a miracle is right in that middle with the coaches.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801291 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

This team is broken.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801293 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

What is this team even?

I get being without Big Jess and Nuggy up front while Bouch and Barrie are out. Heck they’ve had some bigger minute cruncher out with injury for what seems like months, rotating through guys. One gets hurt, few weeks later comes back and someone else is donezo.

Holland’s Detroit mentality launched this ship and Tippett’s stubbornness may have sent the iceberg crashing into the ship, but Holland’s patience sunk it. Gotta go something like 16-9 to get 96 points... I truly don’t think they win 10 of these last 25.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801299 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I heard today the Oilers have ONE person in their analytics department. And apparently this person has other team duties too. Logistic, hotels or something (paraphrased) Heard it on 1260. Think it was Gazzola. Anyone else recall this?

This team is stuck in the Stone Age. Woodcroft won’t be able to fix this before the season ends. Holland will release him and hire some old guy that had some great seasons when the Iphone5 came out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801300 is a reply to message #801299 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 23:40

I heard today the Oilers have ONE person in their analytics department. And apparently this person has other team duties too. Logistic, hotels or something (paraphrased) Heard it on 1260. Think it was Gazzola. Anyone else recall this?

This team is stuck in the Stone Age. Woodcroft won’t be able to fix this before the season ends. Holland will release him and hire some old guy that had some great seasons when the Iphone5 came out.

I just came back to add to my grim outlook of this team not making playoffs that it will also cost Woodcroft, undeservingly, of the Oilers HC job. Unfairly, Holland’s stubborn patience costs this team yet again.

Re: the above, I’m sure the guy has incredible analytics when it comes to vacuum sales

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801301 is a reply to message #801299 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

They increased the analytics team 100% last I saw. They hired the 1 guys brother.

Not joking. The hiring family/friends thing goes all the way down to the analytics department now. Dude is failing so we bring his brother in to turn our trash analytics department around.

I reiterate, the only possible place for a miracle to be possible on the team now is the coaching staff. #FireWoodcroft. Gotta 10 game at a time new coach bounce this season to the finish line. Possibly will need to fire a coach during the playoffs if we get to the 2nd round too.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 March 2022 00:12]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801313 is a reply to message #801301 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 23:53

They increased the analytics team 100% last I saw. They hired the 1 guys brother.

Not joking. The hiring family/friends thing goes all the way down to the analytics department now. Dude is failing so we bring his brother in to turn our trash analytics department around.

I reiterate, the only possible place for a miracle to be possible on the team now is the coaching staff. #FireWoodcroft. Gotta 10 game at a time new coach bounce this season to the finish line. Possibly will need to fire a coach during the playoffs if we get to the 2nd round too.

It's unclear what the travel logistics guy's brother does in addition to his analytics needs - I imagine that the Oilers must feel he needs a secondary role too since they don't plan to listen to anything he comes up with.

I suspect at times the only reason they have anyone listed as in analytics is that it has become embarrassing to say they don't and they don't want to get questioned about it. The hire of "Just a Guy #2" happened shortly after media people started pointing out that the Oilers had less than anyone else.

I do question whether it's likely that a guy who's main role is booking hotel rooms has ANY pull in the room with Holland, Lowe, Nicholson or anyone else. These people have generally been suspicious of analytics anyhow - are they really going to listen to an admin assistant on what his spreadsheets are telling him?

Stauffer did float a couple trial balloons in January about the Oilers maybe changing course and considering including more analytics in their decision making. Of course, there was still a strong flavour of nepotism there, since he was suggesting that Ken Holland's son could maybe end up part of the organization running that piece.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801316 is a reply to message #801313 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 08:24

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 23:53

It's unclear what the travel logistics guy's brother does in addition to his analytics needs - I imagine that the Oilers must feel he needs a secondary role too since they don't plan to listen to anything he comes up with.

I suspect at times the only reason they have anyone listed as in analytics is that it has become embarrassing to say they don't and they don't want to get questioned about it. The hire of "Just a Guy #2" happened shortly after media people started pointing out that the Oilers had less than anyone else.

I do question whether it's likely that a guy who's main role is booking hotel rooms has ANY pull in the room with Holland, Lowe, Nicholson or anyone else. These people have generally been suspicious of analytics anyhow - are they really going to listen to an admin assistant on what his spreadsheets are telling him?

Stauffer did float a couple trial balloons in January about the Oilers maybe changing course and considering including more analytics in their decision making. Of course, there was still a strong flavour of nepotism there, since he was suggesting that Ken Holland's son could maybe end up part of the organization running that piece.

I think I recall now. His role has something to do with border crossing etc. So yeah, TOTAL value added in those Pandemic times. He's likely being let go this week.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801304 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

And I thought the decade of darkness was bad.. at least we KNEW we were making the playoffs in November.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801309 is a reply to message #801304 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 03:09

And I thought the decade of darkness was bad.. at least we KNEW we were making the playoffs in November.

Yeah, it’s not looking good. Various sites have us at the moment between 35-40% chance to make the playoffs. Stars and Preds each have 2 games in hand. We’re 4 back of Vegas with Eichel just now starting to round into form, and 7 back of LA. They’re going to need a hot stretch pretty much now to have a chance to sneak in.

They need to go 15-10-0 (or some other 30 point combination) to get to 94 points, which would give them a 50/50 chance of making it in. 32 points in their last 25 games would boost that to over 80%.

Crazy to think that on December 1 we were 16-5 with a >99% chance to make the playoffs. We’ve gotten exactly as many points (32) in the last 36 games than in the first 21.

That something like this is even possible in years 7/8 of McDavid and Draisaitl’s career is a travesty (7 years of McDavid already? Wow!)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801310 is a reply to message #801309 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Special teams have been just killing us the past few weeks. I don't get why we changed our PP setup.

When it was on fire early on there was constant movement and quick accurate passing between everyone on the unit. Each and every person on the ice was a threat to score. Now it seems like everyone is rooted in place, and the ONLY scoring option we ever look for is Drai in his office. Which of course every single team has figured out.

The pp goal that Drai scored a game or two back only happened because McDavid took it upon himself to MOVE, thus moving the D, which opened up a slot for Drai. Prior to McDavid getting the puck it was the same static, nothing going on PP that we've seen all too often.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801305 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Been 17 days since Jesse’s injury where they said 3-4 week timeline.. so I mean he should be back relatively soon, no? Need him and Nuge to... ah what am I even doing trying to be positive here. This team ain’t making playoffs.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801317 is a reply to message #801305 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I saw an extremely undermanned due to injury/illness team lose to a very good but completely healthy team with a goalie that will be in the top 3 in vezina voting.

At forward, the Oilers had:
Shore - 10:29 - 1:11 PK - 2 shots, 1 hit
Malone - 8:07 - 1:53 PK - 3 shots, 0 hits
Benson - 6:37 - 0 shots, 1 hit
Sceviour - 5:20 - 0 shots, 1 hit

This isn't a Benson basing post so people can relax and put down your pitch forks for me. All of those players are not full time NHLers either right now or ever. The 3 vets are guys who can maybe be your 13th forward but during a season they aren't in your line up night after night. Benson who knows. Maybe he turns into something but right now, he's still working on finding his way. In my opinion, a team can have 1 of those type of players in their line up every night and be fine, you can't have 4 at once. When you are playing 4 of them due to injury, that forces your coach to play the crap out of the other 8 guys to compensate and your better players get worn down and tired.

When healthy, Nuge is in, JP is in. The contract isn't good but Kassian is a better player and is in over all of them. Taking the money issue out of it, Kassian is on the team before any of them on any NHL team. Archibald and all the issues with vaccine doesn't change the fact if he was available, he would be in over every guy on that list because he's better and that would be the same for every NHL team.

One defense, the Oilers had to play:
Niemelainen - 10:39 - 0.30 PK
Lagesson - 10:59 - 0.42 PK
Broberg - 22:34 - 2:43 PP, 2:09 PK.

Niemelainen, I like the player, I think there is a something there but he's not a full time NHLer yet. Lagesson, I am not a fan of because I don't see a dimension but I see him as at best a #7. Broberg has played excellent the last 2 games. I think he will be a good one but he's 20, he's not ready for full time NHL yet.. They were missing Barrie, Bouchard, Russell. When healthy, I think all 3 are in over the 3 above because warts and all, they are better players right now. I thought Niemelainen and Lagesson struggled a lot and their ice time shows they did which means you play the crap out the 4 guys that are decent and one of them is 20 who will make mistakes.

What I said doesn't change that the team make up has issues but when you have to play 6-7 guys who are either not NHLers yet at all, might never be NHLers again or are rookies learning on the fly, you won't win against too many teams.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 March 2022 09:04]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801319 is a reply to message #801317 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

All the replacements are AHLers. We need NHLers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801320 is a reply to message #801319 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 09:13

All the replacements are AHLers. We need NHLers.

I agree. When you have 7 guys out due to injury/illness, any team is having to play guy who probably shouldn't be in your line up most nights.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801325 is a reply to message #801317 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 09:02

I saw an extremely undermanned due to injury/illness team lose to a very good but completely healthy team with a goalie that will be in the top 3 in vezina voting.

This isn't a Benson basing post so people can relax and put down your pitch forks for me. All of those players are not full time NHLers either right now or ever. The 3 vets are guys who can maybe be your 13th forward but during a season they aren't in your line up night after night. Benson who knows. Maybe he turns into something but right now, he's still working on finding his way. In my opinion, a team can have 1 of those type of players in their line up every night and be fine, you can't have 4 at once. When you are playing 4 of them due to injury, that forces your coach to play the crap out of the other 8 guys to compensate and your better players get worn down and tired.

When healthy, Nuge is in, JP is in. The contract isn't good but Kassian is a better player and is in over all of them. Taking the money issue out of it, Kassian is on the team before any of them on any NHL team. Archibald and all the issues with vaccine doesn't change the fact if he was available, he would be in over every guy on that list because he's better and that would be the same for every NHL team.

Niemelainen, I like the player, I think there is a something there but he's not a full time NHLer yet. Lagesson, I am not a fan of because I don't see a dimension but I see him as at best a #7. Broberg has played excellent the last 2 games. I think he will be a good one but he's 20, he's not ready for full time NHL yet.. They were missing Barrie, Bouchard, Russell. When healthy, I think all 3 are in over the 3 above because warts and all, they are better players right now. I thought Niemelainen and Lagesson struggled a lot and their ice time shows they did which means you play the crap out the 4 guys that are decent and one of them is 20 who will make mistakes.

What I said doesn't change that the team make up has issues but when you have to play 6-7 guys who are either not NHLers yet at all, might never be NHLers again or are rookies learning on the fly, you won't win against too many teams.

There is a bit of cause and effect for sure here with the circle of trust in the 4th liners, you like to get more out of the 4th line, plus players out of the lineup against a healthy team.....but it remains that in the biggest game of the season, Leon Draisatl with 1 shot in 24 min TOI, including probably at least 7-8 minutes on the abysmal 5 PP opportunities. Connor with 3 shots in big minutes, 5 PP opportunities, and 5v5 loaded up line in a big game, pretty invisible by the established standard. Yamamoto, zeros across the board. Foegele no shots, no hits. McCleod zero shots. Hyman no hits, a big part of why he's there is physicality on the forechceck and being a puck hound, zone retrievals. The top 6 didn't have a good night, Kane was engaged a bit more than others.

This was a special teams loss more than anything if the rest of the game is played tight. One PPG against. On the PP, no threat from the point. Lots of high turnovers, half board turnovers, static outside Connor circling the wagons. The PP gave up more chances than it generated. Without Nuge, the only guy really willing with the puck in the zone to move things around is Connor, and even he was forcing things to static targets and turning pucks over. Leon when he's got the puck is usually static, looking to pass to Connor or 3 other guys who aren't moving. I'd like to see him venture up high or around the net with possession to get the lanes & seams moving because he can make a pass, the way it is he's gotta be really easy to isolate and force for a penalty killer if he's got the puck and is nearly motionless.

Also, Koskinen wasn't terrible but the one or two extra stops that Calgary got certainly factors into the complexion of the game. Calgary was able to even out their minute distribution more because they led most of the game. They played their system, lots of hits and lots of blocks.

This team moreso when healthy is capable of the run required, if they support their own zone on puck retrievals and exits and mitigate their chances against. They still have game breakers who can be the difference. What happens in their zone is critical to support inexperienced D. They can add a goal in 4 PP opportunities if they try some creativity on the PP and stop giving up chances against by forcing pucks to static targets through killers' sticks . It's on the guys who dress, Holland has painted himself into a corner and isn't going to rescue the team with a starter or a RH D. It doesn't happen if they don't play consistently responsibly in and exiting their zone, to a man.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801329 is a reply to message #801325 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 10:53

There is a bit of cause and effect for sure here with the circle of trust in the 4th liners, you like to get more out of the 4th line, plus players out of the lineup against a healthy team.....but it remains that in the biggest game of the season, Leon Draisatl with 1 shot in 24 min TOI, including probably at least 7-8 minutes on the abysmal 5 PP opportunities. Connor with 3 shots in big minutes, 5 PP opportunities, and 5v5 loaded up line in a big game, pretty invisible by the established standard. Yamamoto, zeros across the board. Foegele no shots, no hits. McCleod zero shots. Hyman no hits, a big part of why he's there is physicality on the forechceck and being a puck hound, zone retrievals. The top 6 didn't have a good night, Kane was engaged a bit more than others.

This was a special teams loss more than anything if the rest of the game is played tight. One PPG against. On the PP, no threat from the point. Lots of high turnovers, half board turnovers, static outside Connor circling the wagons. The PP gave up more chances than it generated. Without Nuge, the only guy really willing with the puck in the zone to move things around is Connor, and even he was forcing things to static targets and turning pucks over. Leon when he's got the puck is usually static, looking to pass to Connor or 3 other guys who aren't moving. I'd like to see him venture up high or around the net with possession to get the lanes & seams moving because he can make a pass, the way it is he's gotta be really easy to isolate and force for a penalty killer if he's got the puck and is nearly motionless.

Also, Koskinen wasn't terrible but the one or two extra stops that Calgary got certainly factors into the complexion of the game. Calgary was able to even out their minute distribution more because they led most of the game. They played their system, lots of hits and lots of blocks.

This team moreso when healthy is capable of the run required, if they support their own zone on puck retrievals and exits and mitigate their chances against. They still have game breakers who can be the difference. What happens in their zone is critical to support inexperienced D. They can add a goal in 4 PP opportunities if they try some creativity on the PP and stop giving up chances against by forcing pucks to static targets through killers' sticks . It's on the guys who dress, Holland has painted himself into a corner and isn't going to rescue the team with a starter or a RH D. It doesn't happen if they don't play consistently responsibly in and exiting their zone, to a man.

I don't agree with your comment about the reason Calgary was able to even out their minutes was because they had the lead.
Here is who the a completely health Flames team played at forward last night:
Backlund, Gaudreau, Lucic, Tkachuk, Colemen, Lewis, Monahan, Lindholm, Dube, Toffoli, Mangiapane, Ruzicka.
Every player except maybe Ruzicka would play on any NHL team today.

Who's a lock out these 4 to be on every NHL team? Shore, Malone, Sceviour, Benson.

So the Flames had Ruzicka in the line up as the only unknown and he played 8 mins. So pick one out of the 4 Oilers I listed to counteract Ruzicka as debatable guys. The Oilers had 3 more.

So let's have Ruzicka and Benson on par as 2 guys who are young, working on being NHLers.

Nuge is out. He's a solid top 9 player that plays center or wing. So for the Flames, take out Backlund and replace his spot on the roster with their version of Malone who's can play a NHL game if needed but not a lot.

JP is a young but good top 9 player. So to be fair, take out Colemen from the Flames and replace them with their version of Sceviour who's a guy like Malone.

Kassian is an overpaid player but he's a legit bottom 6 guy that plays on any NHL team. Lucic is the same. Overpaid but is a legit bottom 6 guy on any NHL team. Take out Lucic for the Flames and slide in their version of Shore.

So what do you want to bet that if the Flames were having the play non NHlers like the Oilers are, the mins of their top guy regardless if they had the lead or not would be way up? What do you want to bet that if the Flames were playing 3 non full time NHLers on top of Ruzicka, their wouldn't be rolling along like they are?

I didn't even get to the defense. Take out 3 NHL regulars from the Flames and put in Valamaki, and 2 others from their AHL team and what do you want to bet that the mins for the vets would be WAY up and their wouldn't be rolling along.

I am not happy with all of the moves that the GM has made. There have been some mistakes. But replacing 7 NHLers at once is next to impossible. No team is that deep.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801373 is a reply to message #801329 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:22

I don't agree with your comment about the reason Calgary was able to even out their minutes was because they had the lead.
Here is who the a completely health Flames team played at forward last night:
Backlund, Gaudreau, Lucic, Tkachuk, Colemen, Lewis, Monahan, Lindholm, Dube, Toffoli, Mangiapane, Ruzicka.
Every player except maybe Ruzicka would play on any NHL team today.

Who's a lock out these 4 to be on every NHL team? Shore, Malone, Sceviour, Benson.

So the Flames had Ruzicka in the line up as the only unknown and he played 8 mins. So pick one out of the 4 Oilers I listed to counteract Ruzicka as debatable guys. The Oilers had 3 more.

So let's have Ruzicka and Benson on par as 2 guys who are young, working on being NHLers.

Nuge is out. He's a solid top 9 player that plays center or wing. So for the Flames, take out Backlund and replace his spot on the roster with their version of Malone who's can play a NHL game if needed but not a lot.

JP is a young but good top 9 player. So to be fair, take out Colemen from the Flames and replace them with their version of Sceviour who's a guy like Malone.

Kassian is an overpaid player but he's a legit bottom 6 guy that plays on any NHL team. Lucic is the same. Overpaid but is a legit bottom 6 guy on any NHL team. Take out Lucic for the Flames and slide in their version of Shore.

So what do you want to bet that if the Flames were having the play non NHlers like the Oilers are, the mins of their top guy regardless if they had the lead or not would be way up? What do you want to bet that if the Flames were playing 3 non full time NHLers on top of Ruzicka, their wouldn't be rolling along like they are?

I didn't even get to the defense. Take out 3 NHL regulars from the Flames and put in Valamaki, and 2 others from their AHL team and what do you want to bet that the mins for the vets would be WAY up and their wouldn't be rolling along.

I am not happy with all of the moves that the GM has made. There have been some mistakes. But replacing 7 NHLers at once is next to impossible. No team is that deep.

I gotta agree... and u didn't even mention the goaltending. To me, Markstrom would have stopped that 2nd goal.
So as I see it... the players left on this team are not giving up. It is a matter of injury and goaltending.
The question is always...Why is the supporting cast for 97/29 still a work in progress into year 6(?) of McD's contract? I'm going to point the finger at the last two GMs and Coaches... Chiarelli and Holland have made crippleing decisions over their terms. Continually overpaying for players long past their primes has put the team in a continual CAP limit hell. Holland's inability to improve goaltending should be a fire-me situation at the end of this season. McLellan and Tippett failed to utilize their younger players in any meaningful way that would promote their developement.

Although it's a mystery why the PP has fallen off a cliff (who knew the NUGE would be missed so much?)... I still think this team, when healthy, is a playoff team. Even with the current goaltending. Now it is a matter of if they can get healthy enough in time to prove it.

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801331 is a reply to message #801325 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

When healthy this team is a playoff team, especially since they got Kane, but when have they been completely healthy? That forward group is dangerous, but when they are down Nuge, Jesse and Kassian they look very pedestrian. Missing 3 players from your top 9 happens to every team in the league, but Edmonton still does not have the depth in the system to fill the temporary holes like other clubs do.

Today is a bad day to be an Oilers fan. Feels like we are mourning a loved one who is unresponsive and on life-support, but no where close to dying. Things are not getting better until someone pulls the plug.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801334 is a reply to message #801331 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:29

When healthy this team is a playoff team, especially since they got Kane, but when have they been completely healthy? That forward group is dangerous, but when they are down Nuge, Jesse and Kassian they look very pedestrian. Missing 3 players from your top 9 happens to every team in the league, but Edmonton still does not have the depth in the system to fill the temporary holes like other clubs do.

Today is a bad day to be an Oilers fan. Feels like we are mourning a loved one who is unresponsive and on life-support, but no where close to dying. Things are not getting better until someone pulls the plug.

The Oilers have played 57 games to date.

Nuge has played 45 - so missed 12 to date.
JP has played 46 - so missed 11 to date.
Kassian has played 35 - so missed 22.

I haven't heard an update today but yesterday, it sounds like they are going to miss another couple of weeks. So that's what 5-6 games minimum? Kassian sounds like he might be able to play soonish.

So Nuge and JP will likely missed 17+ games. So almost 1/4 of the season. So who do the Flames have to replace 2 good top 9 forwards for 1/4 of the season. AND replaced Kassian for 1/3 of a season?

The bigger problem is, its not that these guys have got hurt. Players get hurt, it's they have been hurt at the same time. So who do the Flames have that they can replace 3 top 9 forwards all at once for over a month and not see a dip in play?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801335 is a reply to message #801334 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:46

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:29

The Oilers have played 57 games to date.

Nuge has played 45 - so missed 12 to date.
JP has played 46 - so missed 11 to date.
Kassian has played 35 - so missed 22.

I haven't heard an update today but yesterday, it sounds like they are going to miss another couple of weeks. So that's what 5-6 games minimum? Kassian sounds like he might be able to play soonish.

So Nuge and JP will likely missed 17+ games. So almost 1/4 of the season. So who do the Flames have to replace 2 good top 9 forwards for 1/4 of the season. AND replaced Kassian for 1/3 of a season?

The bigger problem is, its not that these guys have got hurt. Players get hurt, it's they have been hurt at the same time. So who do the Flames have that they can replace 3 top 9 forwards all at once for over a month and not see a dip in play?

I truly don’t care about the Flames and their team. What can the Oilers do to be better?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801350 is a reply to message #801335 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

We wait until Katz's kid takes over. It worked for Chicago.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801330 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

It’s okay everyone... balance is restored in the force and we’re making playoffs

Oscar’s Gasmic Pant Launchers have claimed Duncan Keith off waivers (again)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801332 is a reply to message #801330 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:22

It’s okay everyone... balance is restored in the force and we’re making playoffs

In Oscargasm I trust. You and your crusty stained, black, acid wash denim jeans. Let there be light!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801336 is a reply to message #801332 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:32

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:22

In Oscargasm I trust. You and your crusty stained, black, acid wash denim jeans. Let there be light!

Just make sure it’s not a blue light... unless you want a real show lol

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801338 is a reply to message #801336 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Stauffer saying he thinks Nuge and JP are out another 3 weeks. That could be another 9 games at least.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801342 is a reply to message #801338 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:29

Stauffer saying he thinks Nuge and JP are out another 3 weeks. That could be another 9 games at least.

That's after the deadline.
Then they'll be ready to play, but extremely rusty.. likely only 70% to 85%
Time to bring up some farmhands at forward, get a taste, nothing to lose.. might preserve a chance to get in the playoffs.. the crew we have up right now won't get it done.
Maybe even give Sammy tryout 2.0

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca