This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801054]
Sat, 05 March 2022 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Montreal to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801064 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Forget mudcroft. Poocroft. Diarrheacroft if we lose to the Lames

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801065 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Schmiddy will be ready.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801066 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfann  is currently offline Oilfann

No Cups

Can't beat Chicago or Montreal. Flames, Caps, Lighting up next. We will be sellers at trade deadline. Depressing.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801067 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

This ain't a playoff team.

This should be the end of Mike Smith as an Edmonton Oiler. Waive him to Bako and either force retirement or that's where he stays. He's acting hurt and was in this game too long. There's no longer time to wait for Mike Smith to crawl back up to mediocre play.

Pretty pathetic effort in front of Smith too. The thing is, not one player on this team demonstrably hates to lose when eggs like this are laid with regularity. Have some frigging pride.

How bad does Calgary crush this outfit? 7-2 I'm guessing.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801068 is a reply to message #801067 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfann  is currently offline Oilfann

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 02:56

This should be the end of Mike Smith as an Edmonton Oiler. Waive him to Bako and either force retirement or that's where he stays. He's acting hurt and was in this game too long. There's no longer time to wait for Mike Smith to crawl back up to mediocre play.

Pretty pathetic effort in front of Smith too. The thing is, not one player on this team demonstrably hates to lose when eggs like this are laid with regularity. Have some frigging pride.

Smith starts 8-1 loss
Koski starts 6-2 loss
Skinner starts 4-3 loss
Vasilevskiy starts 3-2 OT win

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801075 is a reply to message #801067 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 05 March 2022 19:56

Honestly, if I'm running the team, I shut down Smith tonight. There's an opportunity with the fact he was hurt in the third period and the injury history this season to say that he's re-aggravated an injury and just put him on LTIR so as to spare his feelings. He should not be given another chance to hurt the team more though. Skinner is just a better option at this point in time, and the Oilers can't afford to lose any extra points in trying to save someone's ego or recapture old glories of yesteryear.

It's the Oilers though so it's 50/50 he gets a chance to redeem himself next week.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801069 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

7-2 loss
Smith with a 0.800 save %
What happened to the power play?
What happened to the PK?
Life is mystery..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801073 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I was hoping Holloway could've been added to the roster this season. but I'm thinking now its better to keep him away from this tire fire.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801074 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

So Smith to LTIR and Skinner recalled?

Was supposed to be available for media post game but did not come out, was receiving medical treatment. Stauffer’s pet posted on twitter that Smith to IR and Skinner recall.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801077 is a reply to message #801074 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 05 March 2022 21:29

Was supposed to be available for media post game but did not come out, was receiving medical treatment. Stauffer’s pet posted on twitter that Smith to IR and Skinner recall.

Stauffer with the 1st ⭐️

Best news I’ve heard since Tippett’s firing.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801078 is a reply to message #801077 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 05 March 2022 22:24

Stauffer with the 1st ⭐️

Worth noting, Stauffer hasn't said this. I believe that they're referring to that rumour account. Tracy Lane or whatever it is.

Hopefully this happens, but it hasn't officially yet.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801079 is a reply to message #801078 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 05 March 2022 22:44

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 05 March 2022 22:24

Stauffer with the 1st ⭐️

Worth noting, Stauffer hasn't said this. I believe that they're referring to that rumour account. Tracy Lane or whatever it is.

Hopefully this happens, but it hasn't officially yet.

Smith has had moments in his last number of starts where he's looked like something is nagging him. That shouldn't be lost on anyone in the organization, anyone that watches the games can see it. The thing is, it can't be doing anything but hurt his ability to play the position, and I don't know how the goalie coach, the training staff or either of the 2 head coaches can let him play through something bothering him, not to mention given the quality of his starts. It's not like he's a plug winger skating around a little banged up, he's the damn goaltender with an .800 or worse sv% on given nights. Jaysus wept.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801081 is a reply to message #801074 ]
Sat, 05 March 2022 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

There is no way that Smith is not going to try his best to play next season too, is there? Battler gonna battle.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801082 is a reply to message #801081 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 March 2022 23:29

There is no way that Smith is not going to try his best to play next season too, is there? Battler gonna battle.

It would be ineptitude of the highest order if the Oilers allowed him to come back again, but I really don't think I'd bet on them not doing it.

I'm still not going to be shocked if Koskinen/Smith is the tandem to start the year again next year, because these guys never learn.

Does Smith have a no-move clause? I thought he did, but I can't see one on CapFriendly, so maybe I'm imagining that. It would be not ideal if he can block assignment to the AHL...

As I said though, if I'm managing the team, I'm working hard to convince him to accept an assignment to LTIR permanently.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801083 is a reply to message #801082 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 00:09

It would be ineptitude of the highest order if the Oilers allowed him to come back again, but I really don't think I'd bet on them not doing it.

I'm still not going to be shocked if Koskinen/Smith is the tandem to start the year again next year, because these guys never learn.

Does Smith have a no-move clause? I thought he did, but I can't see one on CapFriendly, so maybe I'm imagining that. It would be not ideal if he can block assignment to the AHL...

As I said though, if I'm managing the team, I'm working hard to convince him to accept an assignment to LTIR permanently.

Lol, I wonder what Smith wanted for just a 1 year deal. 2.5M instead of 2.2? We may regret not paying up!

The crap we've been hearing lately about him insisting on playing. I have a feeling Smith might be one of those rare guys that would refuse to play ball with LTIR or retirement. He'll just keep insisting on coming back like an annoying bastard (battler). I guess it happens to even the best of them. I think Andrew Ladd kept insisting on coming back with the Islanders and Lou had to take a loss in a trade to move him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801084 is a reply to message #801083 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 00:15

Lol, I wonder what Smith wanted for just a 1 year deal. 2.5M instead of 2.2? We may regret not paying up!

The crap we've been hearing lately about him insisting on playing. I have a feeling Smith might be one of those rare guys that would refuse to play ball with LTIR or retirement. He'll just keep insisting on coming back like an annoying bastard (battler). I guess it happens to even the best of them. I think Andrew Ladd kept insisting on coming back with the Islanders and Lou had to take a loss in a trade to move him.

So let me get this straight: Smith played his ass off last season to give us hope while everyone screamed ditch Koskinen. Smith gets hurt early in the season, comes back with no conditioning stint, sucks, then wins, gets overplayed and sucks again. Incredibly weak defence for the most part. Insanely bad PK and declining PP because of coaching and/or player performance issues. Bad enough that the coach gets fired. A major systemic failure in filling holes in the lineup with plenty of cap space plus decades long developmental failures of our farm system. The 2nd line out injured. A culture that holds no one accountable. AND WE EXPECT IT TO CHANGE????

Oilers goalies let in one turkey per game. We have the two best players in hockey (pointwise is all I will concede on that fact) and are piling up L's when we need to secure a playoff spot. MIKE SMITH ISN'T ON THE PP. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T GIVE UP BREAKWAYS ON A FLAWED PP STRATEGY. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T PLAY THE "I" FORMATION ON THE PK. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T COLLAPSE IN THE SLOT UNDER PRESSURE (OK, I'll concede on that point without too much argument, but you get my point). MIKE SMITH DOESN'T FILL ROSTER SPOTS WITH BLOWN CAP SPACE. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T LEAVE HIMSELF IN NET WHEN THE ENTIRE WESTERN HEMISPHERE SEES HE'S HAVING A BAD NIGHT. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T COAST THROUGH THE NEUTRAL ZONE, DUMP AND NOT CHASE, PLAY WEAK IN THE CORNERS, LEAVE THE SLOT OPEN (at both ends), OR FAIL TO SCORE WHEN HE'S EXPECTED.

Crapping all over Smith is so typical of us here - looking for scapegoats to cover the real organizational suck on this team. We've run so many goalies out of this city to protect GMs and coaches and asst coaches instead of punishing systemic failure.

SMITH SUCKED TONIGHT. SO PULL HIM, WOODCROFT!!!! But no, hang him out to suck, so the heat is on the G and not the rest of the schmucks playing minimite hockey, coaching by blender and playing favourites instead of rewarding success, and running this team like Anita McCambridge.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801085 is a reply to message #801084 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 01:33

So let me get this straight: Smith played his ass off last season to give us hope while everyone screamed ditch Koskinen. Smith gets hurt early in the season, comes back with no conditioning stint, sucks, then wins, gets overplayed and sucks again. Incredibly weak defence for the most part. Insanely bad PK and declining PP because of coaching and/or player performance issues. Bad enough that the coach gets fired. A major systemic failure in filling holes in the lineup with plenty of cap space plus decades long developmental failures of our farm system. The 2nd line out injured. A culture that holds no one accountable. AND WE EXPECT IT TO CHANGE????

Oilers goalies let in one turkey per game. We have the two best players in hockey (pointwise is all I will concede on that fact) and are piling up L's when we need to secure a playoff spot. MIKE SMITH ISN'T ON THE PP. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T GIVE UP BREAKWAYS ON A FLAWED PP STRATEGY. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T PLAY THE "I" FORMATION ON THE PK. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T COLLAPSE IN THE SLOT UNDER PRESSURE (OK, I'll concede on that point without too much argument, but you get my point). MIKE SMITH DOESN'T FILL ROSTER SPOTS WITH BLOWN CAP SPACE. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T LEAVE HIMSELF IN NET WHEN THE ENTIRE WESTERN HEMISPHERE SEES HE'S HAVING A BAD NIGHT. MIKE SMITH DOESN'T COAST THROUGH THE NEUTRAL ZONE, DUMP AND NOT CHASE, PLAY WEAK IN THE CORNERS, LEAVE THE SLOT OPEN (at both ends), OR FAIL TO SCORE WHEN HE'S EXPECTED.

Crapping all over Smith is so typical of us here - looking for scapegoats to cover the real organizational suck on this team. We've run so many goalies out of this city to protect GMs and coaches and asst coaches instead of punishing systemic failure.

SMITH SUCKED TONIGHT. SO PULL HIM, WOODCROFT!!!! But no, hang him out to suck, so the heat is on the G and not the rest of the schmucks playing minimite hockey, coaching by blender and playing favourites instead of rewarding success, and running this team like Anita McCambridge.

Sometimes, a goalie needs to win you a game. Smith is incapable of this.
His meltdown and showing up the crowd cements it. Get him the eff away from this team.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801087 is a reply to message #801085 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 03:22

Sometimes, a goalie needs to win you a game. Smith is incapable of this.
His meltdown and showing up the crowd cements it. Get him the eff away from this team.

Also... smith is on the powerplay. He’s let in goals while on the powerplay 🤷🏻‍♂️

He’s a rusted out F-150 surrounded by off the lot Silverados. His time has come to hit the scrap heap.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801092 is a reply to message #801084 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think we all know what Smith is here. Not a good solution if we want to win for extended periods of time. Definitely not smart to have him signed next year. That's pretty much it. How the team plays in front of him doesn't really change things. The bad results he has a major hand in are annoying. Watching him flop around, chase guys out of his net, be almost inside his net for a 25 ft shot, super annoying too. Team is certainly not built to be able to consistently play perfect hockey so he never gets a chance to do goofy stuff.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801095 is a reply to message #801092 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 11:17

I think we all know what Smith is here. Not a good solution if we want to win for extended periods of time. Definitely not smart to have him signed next year. That's pretty much it. How the team plays in front of him doesn't really change things. The bad results he has a major hand in are annoying. Watching him flop around, chase guys out of his net, be almost inside his net for a 25 ft shot, super annoying too. Team is certainly not built to be able to consistently play perfect hockey so he never gets a chance to do goofy stuff.

I don't think I've ever been accused of being soft on management, and no mistake, it's Holland's fault that Smith was re-signed at all, that he was re-signed for too long, and that he keeps getting the push and hasn't been sat down for a heart-to-heart before now.

But Smith's not getting the job done. He was saved by the video judge a couple of times, including on one where the off-side had nothing to do with the scoring play. He fished a lot of pucks out of his own net last night and it's not like that's an anomaly. He's been shelled almost every game since he returned. He clearly shouldn't be back in the goal any time soon, and given his age, it's probable that he should never start another game for the Oilers. Last year was an anomaly in a short season where he caught lightning in a bottle. He should have retired and gone out on top.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801104 is a reply to message #801095 ]
Sun, 06 March 2022 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 12:18

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 06 March 2022 11:17

I don't think I've ever been accused of being soft on management, and no mistake, it's Holland's fault that Smith was re-signed at all, that he was re-signed for too long, and that he keeps getting the push and hasn't been sat down for a heart-to-heart before now.

But Smith's not getting the job done. He was saved by the video judge a couple of times, including on one where the off-side had nothing to do with the scoring play. He fished a lot of pucks out of his own net last night and it's not like that's an anomaly. He's been shelled almost every game since he returned. He clearly shouldn't be back in the goal any time soon, and given his age, it's probable that he should never start another game for the Oilers. Last year was an anomaly in a short season where he caught lightning in a bottle. He should have retired and gone out on top.

Nope, definitely not calling you out for being soft on management! Smith was brutal, so why didn't they yank him? Day off today and short trip south tomorrow so resting Koskinen isn't an excuse. We all pretty much agreed that one year of Smith with 20-25 games played was expected, but Holland is still learning the ropes I guess and showed us how it's done. If we have a minor leaguer who's a major leaguer and a major leaguer who's a minor leaguer - DEAL WITH IT OILERS! Embarrass the GM for a crappy deal, force him to deal with cap space by moving players and making it fit, get rid of some useless baggage, reward success and punish failure. deadhorse

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801141 is a reply to message #801104 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers didn't play with a ton of jump in the game so I am not going to pin the whole loss on Smith though I thought he wasn't very good. One of the things he did not do which I think is critical is come up with that big save at a key time.

At the end of the first period, the Habs goalie robbed Leon. I have to think going into the room, the Habs would have been feeling good but that would have I am sure pumped them up even more.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801189 is a reply to message #801054 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Management should have never brought Smith back. I’d love to Koskinen gone too, but that problem was inherited.

Smith has either been injured or suspect all year. This team for all it flaws is not much different than most. Every team gives up big chances, the winning teams usually get big saves. How much different are the Oil breakdowns from other teams? We’ve witnessed some great teams the past two weeks and the Oilers have ran beside them for the majority. The big save is the Sasquatch of Edmonton.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801191 is a reply to message #801189 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 18:37

Management should have never brought Smith back. I’d love to Koskinen gone too, but that problem was inherited.

Smith has either been injured or suspect all year. This team for all it flaws is not much different than most. Every team gives up big chances, the winning teams usually get big saves. How much different are the Oil breakdowns from other teams? We’ve witnessed some great teams the past two weeks and the Oilers have ran beside them for the majority. The big save is the Sasquatch of Edmonton.

The big save tonight will be my zipper refusing to allow my pants to come off

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801192 is a reply to message #801191 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 18:38

Never change…..you are a glorious being and great Saskatchewan spokesman for Alberta. .

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57) [message #801193 is a reply to message #801192 ]
Mon, 07 March 2022 18:51 Go to previous message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 18:43

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 07 March 2022 18:38

Never change…..you are a glorious being and great Saskatchewan spokesman for Alberta. .

If only I could have brought with me a cap on energy costs haha man these last couple gas bills have been insane.

Also too bad that pant launching can’t be harnessed into usable electricity lmao

Maximum launch if they pull off what I believe to be the near impossible tonight

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33)
Next Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #57)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca