This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799682]
Mon, 14 February 2022 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
San Jose to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2021-22 Regular Season
Monday, February 14, 2022Edmonton 3 @ San Jose 0Win
Thursday, March 24, 2022San Jose 2 @ Edmonton 5Win
Tuesday, April 5, 2022Edmonton 2 @ San Jose 1 (OT)Win
Thursday, April 28, 2022San Jose 4 @ Edmonton 5 (OT)Win
Home Record: 2-0-0       Road Record: 2-0-0       Overall Record: 4-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 10/5 Total: 15
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/1 Total: 7

2020-21 Regular Season
Home Record: 0-0-0       Road Record: 0-0-0       Overall Record: 0-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 0/0 Total: 0
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/0 Total: 0

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799683 is a reply to message #799682 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

On Valentines Day this is the 3rd game vs Cali? What's going on?

Better get some points now because next week they get the trip of doom. The Flames and 'Nucks were a collective 0-6 on that unfair run.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799685 is a reply to message #799683 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers have 5 games this week, if they are going to make a move the time to start is now.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799686 is a reply to message #799685 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 09:03

The Oilers have 5 games this week, if they are going to make a move the time to start is now.

I really would have liked them to have some extra practice time with the new coach. Unfortunate timing because the Oilers really need to get points off of LA and Anaheim.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799687 is a reply to message #799686 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 09:52

I really would have liked them to have some extra practice time with the new coach. Unfortunate timing because the Oilers really need to get points off of LA and Anaheim.

If only there'd been a way to get him in place at a point where there was time. It's a shame we were still contemplating a contract extension for Tippett at that point...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799688 is a reply to message #799686 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 09:52

It would have been nice but I believe the NHL and AHL were running similar systems - someone can correct me if they were but you'd think they would to make fairly easy transitions when guys get called up - so other than a tweak here or there, I wouldn't think he'd be changing a ton systems wise. Player usage may change, shifting lines a little but I just say the effort level of the Oilers increasing a TON against the Islanders.

I will be interested in seeing if they go with 11 F and 7 dmen again. With so many inexperienced dmen right now, I think that might be the way to go.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2022 10:32]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799742 is a reply to message #799688 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 11:30

I believe the NHL and AHL were running similar systems - someone can correct me if they were but you'd think they would to make fairly easy transitions when guys get called up - so other than a tweak here or there, I wouldn't think he'd be changing a ton systems wise..

I will be interested in seeing if they go with 11 F and 7 dmen again. With so many inexperienced dmen right now, I think that might be the way to go.

**The below isnt my knowledge or opinion but rather something I saw in a twitter thread I have never seen the Condors play a full game**

Apparently the Oilers were running a very different system than the Condors.
The Oilers were running more of a F1, F2, F3 system. IE the forward role both in the O and D zone was dictated by the who was first into the zone.
The Condors ran a more traditional C down the middle and wingers on their sides system.

**This below is my opinion and thoughts**

The former allows for more freedom and creativity on O but can also cause a lot of confusion in their own end. It requires more thinking, read and react, type plays and might explain why the Oilers looked like a tire fire/modified swarm 80% of the time.

The 2nd requires the C to be more defensively responsible, higher in the O zone and quicker back to cover out front. It is much simpler and removes the ability to finger point. If a guy is uncovered in the slot it is the D or C. The point is the wingers. The KISS method of defending.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799833 is a reply to message #799742 ]
Tue, 15 February 2022 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 19:25

I believe the NHL and AHL were running similar systems - someone can correct me if they were but you'd think they would to make fairly easy transitions when guys get called up - so other than a tweak here or there, I wouldn't think he'd be changing a ton systems wise..

**The below isnt my knowledge or opinion but rather something I saw in a twitter thread I have never seen the Condors play a full game**

The Oilers were running more of a F1, F2, F3 system. IE the forward role both in the O and D zone was dictated by the who was first into the zone.
The Condors ran a more traditional C down the middle and wingers on their sides system.

The former allows for more freedom and creativity on O but can also cause a lot of confusion in their own end. It requires more thinking, read and react, type plays and might explain why the Oilers looked like a tire fire/modified swarm 80% of the time.

The 2nd requires the C to be more defensively responsible, higher in the O zone and quicker back to cover out front. It is much simpler and removes the ability to finger point. If a guy is uncovered in the slot it is the D or C. The point is the wingers. The KISS method of defending.

I believe these were all original thoughts of one Jason Gregor, were they not?

Ha ha ha!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799847 is a reply to message #799833 ]
Tue, 15 February 2022 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 15 February 2022 15:22

Ha ha ha!

I honestly dont remember where I saw the first half outside of it being a twitter thread. I took note given I know nothing about how the Condors play outside of the odd stat someone mentions here. Did you see it from Gregor there?

The second half is just my simple thoughts on differences. I did mean to get into how it applied and could work (or not) for the Oilers but didn't put in the effort...
In my time coaching I never liked the F1,2,3 strategies but I was never coaching pro's. Even in my time coaching junior age players it was a tough game plan as it required too much thinking AND all players to buy into it and co-ordinate.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799926 is a reply to message #799847 ]
Tue, 15 February 2022 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 15 February 2022 17:43

Ha ha ha!

I honestly dont remember where I saw the first half outside of it being a twitter thread. I took note given I know nothing about how the Condors play outside of the odd stat someone mentions here. Did you see it from Gregor there?

The second half is just my simple thoughts on differences. I did mean to get into how it applied and could work (or not) for the Oilers but didn't put in the effort...
In my time coaching I never liked the F1,2,3 strategies but I was never coaching pro's. Even in my time coaching junior age players it was a tough game plan as it required too much thinking AND all players to buy into it and co-ordinate.

That was a bit of a joke. Gregor pillaged someone else's take - almost verbatim - on how Woodcroft runs his system. When called on it, Gregor pointed to an article he wrote a couple weeks ago that had some wording about that in there. But, someone used the Way Back Machine and showed that it had been edited in much more recently by Gregor in a futile attempt to save face, rather than just giving credit where it was due...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799938 is a reply to message #799926 ]
Tue, 15 February 2022 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 15 February 2022 23:25

Ha ha ha!

That was a bit of a joke. Gregor pillaged someone else's take - almost verbatim - on how Woodcroft runs his system. When called on it, Gregor pointed to an article he wrote a couple weeks ago that had some wording about that in there. But, someone used the Way Back Machine and showed that it had been edited in much more recently by Gregor in a futile attempt to save face, rather than just giving credit where it was due...

hahahaha. Wow, that's so Gregor.

Haven't heard his show much lately, but last one I caught he was arguing with Strudwick about how important is it for players to support each other to help teammates stay confident. Gregor, experienced high level, high pressure athlete and team dynamic expert that he is, insisted it doesn't make any difference for players to show they have confidence in you.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2022 23:59]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799941 is a reply to message #799926 ]
Wed, 16 February 2022 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 February 2022 00:25

Ha ha ha!

That is hilarious. Outside of a couple I follow on twitter, and stuff mentioned here, I don't hear much from the Edmonton media. Many years back I made a conscious effort to cut them out of my routine as it helped me enjoy the sport more.
At the start of this season I tried to listen Staples podcast and that lasted about 5 episodes. It became clear fast that his knowledge of the NHL started and stopped with the Oilers and his knowledge of hockey in general stopped around Pee Wee.

I listen to NHL network on XM radio for roughly 2 hours a day in the car so from time to time one of them is a guest and they are much more palatable in that format.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799946 is a reply to message #799941 ]
Wed, 16 February 2022 09:06 Go to previous message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 16 February 2022 08:19

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 February 2022 00:25

Ha ha ha!

That is hilarious. Outside of a couple I follow on twitter, and stuff mentioned here, I don't hear much from the Edmonton media. Many years back I made a conscious effort to cut them out of my routine as it helped me enjoy the sport more.
At the start of this season I tried to listen Staples podcast and that lasted about 5 episodes. It became clear fast that his knowledge of the NHL started and stopped with the Oilers and his knowledge of hockey in general stopped around Pee Wee.

I listen to NHL network on XM radio for roughly 2 hours a day in the car so from time to time one of them is a guest and they are much more palatable in that format.

I don't mind Gregor most of the time, but he is absolutely incapable of admitting he's wrong. This was the douchey apex of that.

As for Staples, the general rule on him in both sports and politics is that whatever he says is completely wrong. So many bad takes.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799697 is a reply to message #799682 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Regulation dub would be mustily huge

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799698 is a reply to message #799697 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So who does Kane beat up first? icon_lol

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799699 is a reply to message #799698 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 11:52

So who does Kane beat up first? icon_lol

With any luck couture. Overrated hoser

Can imagine the sharks play with a little extra motivation tonight.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799702 is a reply to message #799699 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

runs over Hertl then fights couture.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799703 is a reply to message #799702 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 12:28

I would be very happy with that.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799704 is a reply to message #799703 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Looks like same lines as last game.
Hyman - McD - JP
Kane - Drai - Yamo
Foegele - Nuge - Ryan
Benson - McLeod

Nurse Bouchard
Lagesson Ceci
Niem, Barrie, Broberg

I am guessing we will see them play similar types of minutes for the dmen. Benson second game in a row. Let's see something. Like I said last time, I am more than happy to be wrong about him.

Skinner in starters net. Interesting. I guess each guy will play with back to backs. I guess you save the starter for the harder opponent in the Kings.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2022 12:45]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799709 is a reply to message #799702 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Honestly, this game is a bit of a test for Evander Kane. Impulse control has seemed to be a bit of an issue for him, and there's clearly some bad blood here. Some teammates weren't shy about making sure the media knew he wasn't liked in the room and even though no one signed their names to it, I would think there's a good chance he has suspicions on who it could have been.

That said, this is a pretty critical game for the Oilers and the last thing we need to see is someone running around trying to settle personal scores. Hopefully we don't think anything stupid.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799711 is a reply to message #799709 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 13:24

Honestly, this game is a bit of a test for Evander Kane. Impulse control has seemed to be a bit of an issue for him, and there's clearly some bad blood here. Some teammates weren't shy about making sure the media knew he wasn't liked in the room and even though no one signed their names to it, I would think there's a good chance he has suspicions on who it could have been.

That said, this is a pretty critical game for the Oilers and the last thing we need to see is someone running around trying to settle personal scores. Hopefully we don't think anything stupid.

He had the right comments in his pregamer, while the San Jose side has touched a bit on it being a more physical encounter.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799726 is a reply to message #799711 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 14:31

He had the right comments in his pregamer, while the San Jose side has touched a bit on it being a more physical encounter.

Not all the right comments:

Quote:

Sheng Peng
@Sheng_Peng

Kane had a personal message for me, when I asked him why it didn't work out in San Jose: "We've continued to beat this dead horse over and over and over again...You probably write more articles about me than you write about anybody else on the team."

Still the aggrieved victim. At least he said this to a San Jose reporter and not an Edmonton one, so we don't have to deal with all of them circling the wagons again...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799739 is a reply to message #799726 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 15:57

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 14:31

Not all the right comments:

Quote:

Sheng Peng
@Sheng_Peng

Kane had a personal message for me, when I asked him why it didn't work out in San Jose: "We've continued to beat this dead horse over and over and over again...You probably write more articles about me than you write about anybody else on the team."

Still the aggrieved victim. At least he said this to a San Jose reporter and not an Edmonton one, so we don't have to deal with all of them circling the wagons again...

Meh. I don’t have a problem with that comment. Let the guy move on, focus on the team, getting a playoff spot (first round BoA anyone?) and play some hockey.

As much as some don’t want to admit it. The Oilers need Kane just as much, if not more, than he needs them.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799712 is a reply to message #799709 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

'Clean' run over Hertl, then fights couture and we get a man advantage from an instigator penalty!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799713 is a reply to message #799712 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 14:35

'Clean' run over Hertl, then fights couture and we get a man advantage from an instigator penalty!

Then he scores on the powerplay and the whole team gets hyped right up

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799731 is a reply to message #799698 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

His wife?...a random that gives him a look at the bar?

What a dirtbag.

Anyway I'm excited for Woodie to go 2-0 and keep us on track. He's gotta play Connor more though, that's how we've been successful in the past.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799714 is a reply to message #799682 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Another 11F 7D night.

Really like that call. With a thin D it makes sense to spread it over more and manage them as the game goes on. There should be no over-reliance on Barrie. Also getting basic things right, like leaving Shore out of the lineup, is a good sign.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799715 is a reply to message #799714 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 14:45

Another 11F 7D night.

Really like that call. With a thin D it makes sense to spread it over more and manage them as the game goes on. There should be no over-reliance on Barrie. Also getting basic things right, like leaving Shore out of the lineup, is a good sign.

Keep hearing Barrie trade isn’t one they make in season... I really don’t like that take.

I was also team Barrie when resigned. But this team needs something he doesn’t provide.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799835 is a reply to message #799715 ]
Tue, 15 February 2022 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 14 February 2022 14:59

Another 11F 7D night.

Keep hearing Barrie trade isn’t one they make in season... I really don’t like that take.

I was also team Barrie when resigned. But this team needs something he doesn’t provide.

If you trade Barrie, you would have to be bringing in another right handed dman to replace him. I don't see that happening.

Maybe they could bring back Bear. He gets scratched a lot in Carolina because he's not very good. He's not really what they need as he's a way less offensive, undersized, not physical and maybe only marginally better defensively but he would make some fans feel better.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799724 is a reply to message #799714 ]
Mon, 14 February 2022 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Another 11F 7D night.

Apparently Woodcroft often went 11-7 in the AHL too, so may be something we see a fair bit of. I don't hate it because you can double shift your good players with the fourth line and that fourth line can actually play with good players.

I'm thrilled to see that it's Shore who's the early man out too. Maybe a coach who pays attention to things besides how much a guy looks like he's trying out there, or whatever it was that made Tippett fall in love with guys like Shore and Patrick Russell.

Random Fact - in Game 7 versus the Philadelphia Flyers in 1987, the Oilers iced a lineup that also was 11 forwards and 7 defencemen.

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #31)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #31)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca