This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798019 is a reply to message #798015 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 15:23

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:17

Don't remember the ugly skater part, I actually always thought his skating was great, he's a fast train, one of his assets.

You're right though every once and a while there is a decision, non-decision, that reveals what the thinking is of your pro-scouts, not pursuing Duclair was one of them, thinking Turris still had some gas left was another.

BTW I remember Anson Carter actually had a pretty ugly stride.. he did OK.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anthony-duclair

Anthony Duclair is on a 3 year / 9 million dollar contract, which is a nice raise over the last couple of years . 31 point so far this season. What a nice complimentary player.

I didn't notice Huberdeau and Barkov playing together at all unless the Panthers were on the power play. Nor did I notice any 1:35 pp shifts.

How's this for timing.. here is an article from McCurdy just now that fits in directly with this discussion..
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /kyle-turris-placed-on-waivers-as-edmonton-oilers-search-for -solutionss

Quote:

..Grumpy Oilers fans — and there are a lot of us these days — might take note that ten weeks after the Oilers rushed to sign Turris, Florida Panthers picked Anthony Duclair off the “bargain free agent” pile for a near-identical cap hit of $1.7 million. Last seen scoring against the Oilers last night, the Bill Zito signing has produced 27-36-63, +54 !!! in 75 games as a Panther over the exact same span that Turris has been in Edmonton. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 but Duclair was a known commodity coming off a 23-goal season at age 24 in Ottawa. And while it’s probably unfair to lay blame for not signing a specific player here or there, it is a matter of record that there have been precious few bargain signings by the Oilers in the Ken Holland era...

+54?? .. +54??.. Holy Crap!

Not going after Duclair can't even be blamed on not using advanced stats.. he's a player your pro-scouts should have been able to evaluate without it.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2022 16:48]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798003 is a reply to message #797996 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 15:47

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 14:00

Credit where it’s due. The #Panthers are a calm, focused team. The Oilers were doing very well in the first, but they were not being patient with the puck. Too many times they bobbled the puck, missed passes, rushed plays, and looking frazzled. Their level of try is there.

That is what I tweeted last night and it holds true today after that debacle. There is nothing the oilers could really do when they are so weak on defense and goaltending.

Kassian doesn't have it anymore. Just filling a roster spot. Turris on waivers. They have no offense besides 97 and 29 and if they are going to be covered all night, there is no way the team is going to be successful.

Covering McDavid and Drai used to happen in the playoffs and we got kicked out in 4 straight. Now the teams are like, why wait until the playoffs when we can do it now.

This is what we are seeing.

Florida is such a fun team to watch. When you look at their roster you can start to imagine what the Oilers could have been. High end talent with Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, and Weeagar. A great supporting cast with Verhaeghe, Reinhart, Duclair, and Bennett. Really interesting guys filling out the roster like Lundell, Luostar, Gudas, and Montour. They're so deep I forget they have Owen Tippett until he scores.

If I was going to bandwagon, I'd bandwagon them.

Fun fact that I don't know if I've seen on Oilfans yet...Bill Zito was on the interview list that Bob Nicholson threw away in order to chase Ken Holland.

To be fair though, what Olympic gold medals had Zito ever been a part of?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798024 is a reply to message #797873 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Here's your pro-scouts. Not sure if there's been a change since the Turris acquisition, declining to pursue Duclair ..
Only 4 pro-scouts?? Holy crap man.
I note two nepotism selections..

I think I sense the problem.. scorch earth this assembly.

ARCHIE HENDERSON (Director, Pro Scouting) .. Old buddy of Holland
CHRIS CICHOCKI PROFESSIONAL SCOUT
BRAD HOLLAND PROFESSIONAL SCOUT
PAUL MESSIER PROFESSIONAL SCOUT

SCOTT HARLOW AMATEUR SCOUT
JOHN HILL AMATEUR SCOUT
JOAKIM HOLM AMATEUR SCOUT
MITCH HOLMBERG AMATEUR SCOUT
JIM CROSSON AMATEUR SCOUT
ALEXANDER NAUROV AMATEUR SCOUT
MATTI VIRMANEN AMATEUR SCOUT

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2022 16:57]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798026 is a reply to message #798024 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:51

Here's your pro-scouts. Not sure if there's been a change since the Turris acquisition, declining to pursue Duclair ..
Only 4 pro-scouts?? Holy crap man.
I note two nepotism selections..

I think I sense the problem.. scorch earth this assembly.

ARCHIE HENDERSON (Director, Pro Scouting) .. Old buddy of Holland
CHRIS CICHOCKI PROFESSIONAL SCOUT
BRAD HOLLAND PROFESSIONAL SCOUT
PAUL MESSIER PROFESSIONAL SCOUT

SCOTT HARLOW AMATEUR SCOUT
JOHN HILL AMATEUR SCOUT
JOAKIM HOLM AMATEUR SCOUT
MITCH HOLMBERG AMATEUR SCOUT
JIM CROSSON AMATEUR SCOUT
ALEXANDER NAUROV AMATEUR SCOUT
MATTI VIRMANEN AMATEUR SCOUT

Isn't that three nepotism hires? Paul Messier has been here a long time...

I don't think that the number is way off normal. Here's the groups for Tampa, Florida, Toronto and the New York Rangers. All between 3-5 pro scouts.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/team/hockey-staff
https://www.nhl.com/panthers/team/scouts
https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/team/management https://www.nhl.com/rangers/team/front-office?icmp=int_web_n yr_front-off_subnav

Only the Rangers have a guy who shares the name of an exec - Justin Sather. I notice that the Oilers lost the service of Chiarelli's brother, only to have his mantle picked back up by Holland's son. I do wonder if when we're promising these guys league high salaries we really need to give them the green light to give all their family members jobs too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798027 is a reply to message #798026 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:18

Isn't that three nepotism hires? Paul Messier has been here a long time...

I only counted blood relations as nepotism.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798183 is a reply to message #798027 ]
Mon, 24 January 2022 07:38 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

when you draft as well as we do, you don't need nepotism to keep your job.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Next Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca