This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795164]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Vegas to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795167 is a reply to message #795164 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Phew.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795168 is a reply to message #795164 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kostko should get all 3 stars tonight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795169 is a reply to message #795168 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 27 November 2021 19:42

Kostko should get all 3 stars tonight.

This.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795170 is a reply to message #795164 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

1st, 2nd, 3rd Star.. MIKKO KOSKINEN!

⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795171 is a reply to message #795164 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Some dopey play tonight.. Bouchard was weak, looking like a rookie.
McLeod has to learn to put the puck on the net.. two game sin a row where he had grade A chance and didn't get a shot off.
Ryan lost his mo-jo
Barrie still making bad decisions.
I think Kass may have seen his his last chance up with McD, just too slow, weak on the d-zone boards, and no cycle going offensively..
.. ALTHOUGH... Puljujarvi on the 3rd line driving the play is looking pretty darn good, he's more effective & dynamic when he isn't playing with McD, carries the puck more, makes more plays happen.. with McD he seems to be waiting/watching for what's going to happen, doesn't want to carry the puck, dishes to McD every opportunity, other teams just start to double team McD, a lot more would be created if McD wasn't the only guy carrying the puck, Hyman does this, but JP could do more, would let McD find some open ice.

Game #20 and Refs still have it in for McD. F'ing tackled from behind going in alone, not even a question, refs just made a decision not to call it. HNIC doesn't even bother to show it, its passe at this point.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 November 2021 20:05]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795176 is a reply to message #795164 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

No McDrai points, Kostko in net and a win?!?!

Missed the game so I'll just take nhl.com's word for it.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795179 is a reply to message #795176 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 27 November 2021 20:19

No McDrai points, Kostko in net and a win?!?!

Missed the game so I'll just take nhl.com's word for it.

Don't worry NHL.com wasn't hacked.. you read correctly! Koski steals a game without pts from LD or McD.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795181 is a reply to message #795179 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Broberg led the team in TOI in just his 4th NHL game. Kids gonna be good. Fantastic game by Koskinen too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795182 is a reply to message #795181 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sun, 28 November 2021 05:46

Broberg led the team in TOI in just his 4th NHL game. Kids gonna be good. Fantastic game by Koskinen too.

Broberg meets the Oiler definition of "overripe". He's had his ups and downs in the SEL, but has been showing great maturity at the NHL level. Of course, there will be bumps in the road ahead of him, but he's been way more consistent than guys like Nurse were at the same stage of their career.

Koskinen is 11-2-0 this season with a .912 save percentage and still getting some pretty severe criticism around here. In Vegas I thought he did a fantastic job of making save after save until the boys in front of him could find their groove. I love those Oiler games when the Oilers get those early saves and don't have to spend the rest of the game digging themselves out of a hole.

Kassian is not a top 6 forward. Right now he is the most frustrating Oiler for me to watch. Riding McDavid's coattails in Phoenix won't be duplicated for a while.

Nice to see the team not sitting back and waiting for Draisaitl and McDavid to set up all the offense on a rare night when the points just don't come for them.The other forwards did a better than usual job of pushback on a pretty good Vegas team.

Congrats to K. Russell for earning an NHL record for shot blocking. Might be a record that is obscure and has only been tracked for a few seasons, but takes a lot of guts and wear and tear to earn. I'll admit I was pretty negative about Russell being on the roster drawiing so much of a cap hit for a seventh or eighth defenseman, but when the injury bug hit the Oilers LD pretty much overnight, he was ready to step right in. Glad he is part of the team.

On a side note, thank you Milan Lucic for letting the Jets come back and beat the Flames First place in the Pacific is in good hands for now, where it rightfully belongs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795185 is a reply to message #795182 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 28 November 2021 05:51

Congrats to K. Russell for earning an NHL record for shot blocking. Might be a record that is obscure and has only been tracked for a few seasons, but takes a lot of guts and wear and tear to earn. I'll admit I was pretty negative about Russell being on the roster drawing so much of a cap hit for a seventh or eighth defenseman, but when the injury bug hit the Oilers LD pretty much overnight, he was ready to step right in. Glad he is part of the team.

Yeah shot blocking is one stat that is not subjective, its a shot the goaltender doesn't have to make, and a potential goal. He also managed to totally evolve his game over his career, he was an offensive dynamo in the WHL, and had to change to a shutdown tradesman. Tip of the Hat.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795190 is a reply to message #795185 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 28 November 2021 15:01

Congrats to K. Russell for earning an NHL record for shot blocking. Might be a record that is obscure and has only been tracked for a few seasons, but takes a lot of guts and wear and tear to earn. I'll admit I was pretty negative about Russell being on the roster drawing so much of a cap hit for a seventh or eighth defenseman, but when the injury bug hit the Oilers LD pretty much overnight, he was ready to step right in. Glad he is part of the team.

Yeah shot blocking is one stat that is not subjective, its a shot the goaltender doesn't have to make, and a potential goal. He also managed to totally evolve his game over his career, he was an offensive dynamo in the WHL, and had to change to a shutdown tradesman. Tip of the Hat.

Does shot blocking ever have a negative side effect? Like deflecting pucks past your own goaltender at key moments in important games?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795191 is a reply to message #795190 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 28 November 2021 16:41

Does shot blocking ever have a negative side effect? Like deflecting pucks past your own goaltender at key moments in important games?

I think it wouldn't be classified as a shot block in that case.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795192 is a reply to message #795191 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 28 November 2021 18:14

I think it wouldn't be classified as a shot block in that case.

Good point! I think it was Wayne Gretzky that said "you don't block 100% of the shots that bounce off you into your own net."

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795193 is a reply to message #795190 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

It’s not a stat that I’d want to be a leader in. If you are in a position to block excessive amounts of shots, you are spending way too much time in your own zone. Ultimately possession drives wins, and blocking shots means you don’t have possession.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795194 is a reply to message #795193 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 28 November 2021 20:10

It’s not a stat that I’d want to be a leader in. If you are in a position to block excessive amounts of shots, you are spending way too much time in your own zone. Ultimately possession drives wins, and blocking shots means you don’t have possession.

If I was the NHL I would credit the player with .001 seconds of possession time for each block.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795195 is a reply to message #795193 ]
Sun, 28 November 2021 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

That pretty much mirrors my view when considering shot blocks, if you're blocking a ton of shots, you don't have possession and you're giving up shot attempts. This is a function of Russell's play in his own end as well as the other skaters he's played with 5v5 over his career.

On the other hand, as we've seen many times over the years, a blocked shot at a critical moment can be a huge defensive play.

If the coach and teammates say that blocking shots is an appreciated skill that KR brings with his game, that's probably a legitimate viewpoint from people who actually matter in this, and good enough for me. confused2

KR is 7/8 dman on this team, but he's done a decent job being miscast in an oversized role in light of the 3 Dmen higher than him on the depth chart going down. To be clear, though, this won't be sustainable.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795196 is a reply to message #795195 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Big win for the Oilers. Vegas is a good team, they are starting to get their players back. Good goalie. Oilers missing their top 3 left shot dmen, I wasn't sure how it would go. Koskinen was good, 3 goals from 3 guys who badly needed to score. No McD points. I'll take that all day.

Kudos to Russell for setting the blocked shots record. Not exactly an overly enjoyable record to get but to me it shows a commitment to your team and a willingness to put your body on the line to try to help the team win anyway he can.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2021 09:07]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795197 is a reply to message #795195 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 28 November 2021 22:37

That pretty much mirrors my view when considering shot blocks, if you're blocking a ton of shots, you don't have possession and you're giving up shot attempts. This is a function of Russell's play in his own end as well as the other skaters he's played with 5v5 over his career.

On the other hand, as we've seen many times over the years, a blocked shot at a critical moment can be a huge defensive play.

If the coach and teammates say that blocking shots is an appreciated skill that KR brings with his game, that's probably a legitimate viewpoint from people who actually matter in this, and good enough for me. confused2

KR is 7/8 dman on this team, but he's done a decent job being miscast in an oversized role in light of the 3 Dmen higher than him on the depth chart going down. To be clear, though, this won't be sustainable.

This is a correct take. Lots of courage getting in front of big blasts all the time, so kudos for that. I do believe that players get a charge from seeing guys make a big block - although I think less so compared to in the olden days when it was much more rare for someone to do so.

Russell does get a lot of blocks by being mediocre at a couple of other skills though - he's not a great puck-mover so often returns possession to the other team by just going off the glass and out. He doesn't hold the line well, preferring instead to back off and try to position for a block - that leaves the team more vulnerable because attacks get closer to the goal and therefore more dangerous. His willingness to throw himself to the ice gets taken advantage of, because if anyone fakes a shot, he hits the deck and takes himself out of the play - thus the famous starfish snowangel pose we've all come to know and love.

It's nice for him to get this mark and nice for the team to get to celebrate something, but the sooner he's not in the lineup all the time, the better.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795213 is a reply to message #795197 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Per Jason Gregor Monday, November 29.

Smith, Keith, Nurse, Shore, Holloway all skated as a group before practice. Tippett says Keith and Nurse are the closest. Smith has been on the ice for four days, and today was first day he stopped pucks. Shore is still one week away. Via Tippett. #Oilers

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795214 is a reply to message #795213 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The Oilers face Pittsburgh, Seattle and LA. If they could find a way to win a game or 3 in these next 2, considering they are missing their top 3 left shots all at once, that would be huge.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795217 is a reply to message #795214 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

From the Oilers websitee.

Lines at practice appeared to be:

Forwards

Hyman - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Foegele - McLeod - Puljujärvi
Perlini/Benson - Ryan - Sceviour

Defence

Russell - Barrie
Broberg - Ceci
Lagesson - Bouchard

Goalies

Koskinen
Skinner

Not sure if this means Koskinen is expected to start against the Penguins.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795219 is a reply to message #795213 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 12:12

Smith, Keith, Nurse, Shore, Holloway all skated as a group before practice. Tippett says Keith and Nurse are the closest. Smith has been on the ice for four days, and today was first day he stopped pucks. Shore is still one week away. Via Tippett. #Oilers

I almost forgot about Holloway, didn't realize he was up with the Oilers, thought he'd be done south skating with the Condors.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795220 is a reply to message #795219 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 14:56

I almost forgot about Holloway, didn't realize he was up with the Oilers, thought he'd be done south skating with the Condors.

Gregor just touched on Holloway being up with the Oilers. He's never left Edmonton. Apparently you can't send an injured player down, has to be deemed healthy to be sent down.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795221 is a reply to message #795220 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 15:15

Gregor just touched on Holloway being up with the Oilers. He's never left Edmonton. Apparently you can't send an injured player down, has to be deemed healthy to be sent down.

Pretty nice for Holloway. 925k NHL salary coming in instead of the 80k AHL one for 1/4 of the season. No contract term burned. Everyone wins, except Katz's pocketbook.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795222 is a reply to message #795221 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 15:25

Pretty nice for Holloway. 925k NHL salary coming in instead of the 80k AHL one for 1/4 of the season. No contract term burned. Everyone wins, except Katz's pocketbook.

Plus I would assume the team would want to monitor his recovery first hand so easier to do that if he's here. Makes it easier that he's from Alberta so his family is close too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795228 is a reply to message #795221 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't think it works that way. Every year we have someone who languishes up here after training camp injuries, and I'm pretty sure we're not paying the NHL salary for some AHL 3rd liner who was fortunate enough to get banged up in the pre-season as opposed to the AHL. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's an assumption that you're still a minor leaguer until you're not.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795230 is a reply to message #795228 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 17:13

I don't think it works that way. Every year we have someone who languishes up here after training camp injuries, and I'm pretty sure we're not paying the NHL salary for some AHL 3rd liner who was fortunate enough to get banged up in the pre-season as opposed to the AHL. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's an assumption that you're still a minor leaguer until you're not.

Will keep an eye on capfriendly, but right now they have him accumulating an NHL salary. Career earnings ~300k so far

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795231 is a reply to message #795230 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 17:21 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 17:16

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 17:13

Will keep an eye on capfriendly, but right now they have him accumulating an NHL salary. Career earnings ~300k so far

Maybe that's the golden bandaid for a hopeful...get dinged up in pre-season, and live the high life on your NHL salary for as long as you can!

Previous Topic:Ceci in covid protocol
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca