This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793931]
Fri, 05 November 2021 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
NY Rangers to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2021-22 Regular Season
Friday, November 5, 2021NY Rangers 5 @ Edmonton 6 (OT)Win
Monday, January 3, 2022Edmonton 1 @ NY Rangers 4Loss
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 6/1 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 5/4 Total: 9

2020-21 Regular Season
Home Record: 0-0-0       Road Record: 0-0-0       Overall Record: 0-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 0/0 Total: 0
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/0 Total: 0

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793934 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Welcome everyone to Kevin Lowe retirement night against the Rangers.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793937 is a reply to message #793934 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 08:40

If only he was retiring from all things hockey. That is reason to celebrate.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793938 is a reply to message #793937 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 10:01

Let's at least let him have his night, despite some frustrating years for many of us.... The guy deserves this for all he has done. He truly has always been an Oiler through and through.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793941 is a reply to message #793938 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

NCREDiBLE wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 11:10

Let's at least let him have his night, despite some frustrating years for many of us.... The guy deserves this for all he has done. He truly has always been an Oiler through and through.

He did far more damage than he ever helped the team. I don't believe for a single second that the 80's Oilers minus Kevin Lower would have been any less successful.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793953 is a reply to message #793938 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm not sure he's been an Oilers through and through. Of course, I'm a former tier one fan that still holds some bitterness over the last 21 years of hockey in this town.

I think we can compare and contrast this retirement ceremony to the others we've seen over the last 20ish years. I was excited and felt lucky to be in the building for Coffey and Anderson. I was pissy when a shadow was cast across Messier for some reason. I made a point of watching Gretzky, Kurri, and Fuhr go in the rafters. This one? I'm not really interested. If I didn't have to work late tonight, I'd go to the Riders game instead of watching this. I certainly won't be tuning in early tonight to relive the nostalgia and listen to better players try to convince me how important this is. I will do my utmost to avoid the intermission chatter even though I'll probably be watching on MSG to avoid the fawning.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793956 is a reply to message #793953 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 12:31

I'm not sure he's been an Oilers through and through. Of course, I'm a former tier one fan that still holds some bitterness over the last 21 years of hockey in this town.

I think we can compare and contrast this retirement ceremony to the others we've seen over the last 20ish years. I was excited and felt lucky to be in the building for Coffey and Anderson. I was pissy when a shadow was cast across Messier for some reason. I made a point of watching Gretzky, Kurri, and Fuhr go in the rafters. This one? I'm not really interested. If I didn't have to work late tonight, I'd go to the Riders game instead of watching this. I certainly won't be tuning in early tonight to relive the nostalgia and listen to better players try to convince me how important this is. I will do my utmost to avoid the intermission chatter even though I'll probably be watching on MSG to avoid the fawning.

I tried hard (and succeeded) to get tickets to Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson and Messier's nights. I had to work so missed the opportunity to see Fuhr's. I had the Sather tickets fall in my lap too and really appreciated all those - although the Messier one was a weird night with the Smyth deal, and the sour mood in the building, followed by the total no-show by the team in that game. I do remember Lowe substituting himself out of that ceremony.

I think it is a bit foolish of the team to do this while he's still a part of team management. It increases the chance he hears some boos tonight. I won't do that, despite some of my hard feelings, but I'm not sure there aren't going to be some. That'll be hard for him to hear if they happen.

I even believe there's potentially good reason to include Lowe in the group in the rafters - first draft pick, first goal, big part of 5 Cups, Assistant Captain for 4 of them, Captain of the team before he left, most games in franchise history. But it's hard to separate his management tenure with his playing days while he's still going to work in the Oilers office and part of a management team that still is helping to handicap our chances of winning.

Also I still am curious why Lowe is always esteemed so much higher than Charlie Huddy. As I recall, that was the case even in the 80s (although I was relatively young during the heyday so could be mistaken). Maybe he was seen as the anchor on the second pair, while Coffey was on the first? Huddy's numbers might have been seen to be in part because of him playing so much with Coffey and by extension Gretzky?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793961 is a reply to message #793956 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 12:47

first goal

*assist on first goal

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793966 is a reply to message #793961 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 13:22

first goal

*assist on first goal

Does anyone have a better version than the lousy clip on YouTube of this? I've watched it dozens of times this week, and at best I say it's inconclusive. And I really don't like Lowe.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793968 is a reply to message #793966 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 13:46

first goal

*assist on first goal

Does anyone have a better version than the lousy clip on YouTube of this? I've watched it dozens of times this week, and at best I say it's inconclusive. And I really don't like Lowe.

I don't believe another clip exists... the late 70s wasn't great for archiving random sport events.

Frankly I prefer it that way, Crude's Lowe truthering has brought constant joy to this forum.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793974 is a reply to message #793966 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

first goal

*assist on first goal

Worth noting, despite CrudeRemarks campaign, there isn't actually any debate on the first goal for the Oilers. Gretzky made a joke about it the night it happened...that's about it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793975 is a reply to message #793974 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 15:22

first goal

*assist on first goal

Worth noting, despite CrudeRemarks campaign, there isn't actually any debate on the first goal for the Oilers. Gretzky made a joke about it the night it happened...that's about it.

Hard disagree. It's a massive unknown and it's wrong of Kevin to continue claiming a goal that isn't his.

What's more likely, the guy that scored over 10 goals one time scoring, or the guy that got 92?

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793976 is a reply to message #793956 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I tried hard (and succeeded) to get tickets to Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson and Messier's nights. I had to work so missed the opportunity to see Fuhr's. I had the Sather tickets fall in my lap too and really appreciated all those - although the Messier one was a weird night with the Smyth deal, and the sour mood in the building, followed by the total no-show by the team in that game. I do remember Lowe substituting himself out of that ceremony.

Like you, I’ve been to the same retirement nights and even though I understand why Lowe did not show up for Messier’s night, he mismanaged that TDD so badly that I could never forgive him. I think we lost 3-0 that night and the mood at Rexall was a mix of somber and anger.

I had an opportunity for free tickets tonight too, but I don’t think I’m going to even tune in. I’m undecided. I’m definitely not watching his hilight package or the ceremony.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793977 is a reply to message #793976 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 16:00

Like you, I’ve been to the same retirement nights and even though I understand why Lowe did not show up for Messier’s night, he mismanaged that TDD so badly that I could never forgive him. I think we lost 3-0 that night and the mood at Rexall was a mix of somber and anger.

I had an opportunity for free tickets tonight too, but I don’t think I’m going to even tune in. I’m undecided. I’m definitely not watching his hilight package or the ceremony.

Highlight package can’t be more than a minute or so. I hope they include a shot of him getting absolutely turnstiled by Pat LaFontaine in ‘84 for two goals in 35 seconds

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793969 is a reply to message #793938 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 10:10

Agree.
In addition, the amount charity/community work he's done in Edmonton from his time as a player until today has to be a part of the story.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793942 is a reply to message #793934 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I want Lowe to come out to "Introducing someone who knows a little about winning, if that were ever a concern..."

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793946 is a reply to message #793942 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 11:41

I want Lowe to come out to "Introducing someone who knows a little about winning, if that were ever a concern..."

icon_lol That would be GOLD

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793957 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I'm probably not going to tune in early for this ceremony. I just hope the Oilers come out with a good effort, if they get that, they're going to win.

Lowe got into the hof on the merits of longevity, not only as a player but as a coach and an executive, and of course 6 championships with 2 teams. He was probably only behind Gretzky and maybe Messier in terms of hating to lose. Probably a better player and more important to the Oilers than Al Hamilton and Garth Brooks in terms of those in the rafters.

Waste of my damned time to be angry with Kevin Lowe still, Im mostly indifferent. Chiarelli holds more relevance for recent history, and eventually he'll be a footnote in my books as well.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793959 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Last Oilers-NYR game was a bit bonkers.

Played mere hours before the dawn of a new decade, The Real Buyout had a hat-trick and 4 points, Nuge had 4 points, Oilers went up 6-0 before giving up 5 straight in the 3rd. Yamo ices it with an EN goal.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793962 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Boycott or hate-watch?

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793963 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Holy Geez, Sportsnet has an hour and five minutes booked for the retirement ceremony.

For KEVIN LOWE.

Oilers need an editor to cut this to a concise 8 and a half minutes maximum.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793970 is a reply to message #793963 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 13:33

Holy Geez, Sportsnet has an hour and five minutes booked for the retirement ceremony.

For KEVIN LOWE.

Good Grief, no thanks.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793980 is a reply to message #793963 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 12:33

For KEVIN LOWE.

I will not watch an hour long love fest for Lowe. Glad I know when to tune in tonight!

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793981 is a reply to message #793980 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

MJ wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 16:17

I will not watch an hour long love fest for Lowe. Glad I know when to tune in tonight!

I'll tune in just to see the former Oilers.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793971 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Hopefully the banner raising has some sort of technical issue but it continues to go up into the rafters, failing upwards just as Lowe has done for all these years.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793973 is a reply to message #793971 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I'd be ok if it was caught and slowly torn as it was pulled up

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793979 is a reply to message #793973 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 15:16

I'd be ok if it was caught and slowly torn as it was pulled up

Yeah, that'd be hilarious, actually.

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793978 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Must hear La Bamba.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793982 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I won’t watch in fear of possibly seeing Nicholson's dumb mug. Those wounds still feel wide open.

I don’t think it would have bothered me too much if I watched it tonight. I just don’t want to watch him or Nicholson slipping around on the ice with the Cup one of these springs. If Kevin didn’t go on the ice for the Cup, I would have a new found respect for him that would know no bounds. But he will be there. And I will be muting it and turning my head until the wife says it’s safe. Bobby too.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793983 is a reply to message #793982 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

"And here to present Kevin with his miniature banner for his home, all the Oilers to wear #4 who were better than him"

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793985 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Holy geez, MacT gets 6 minutes? How long are all the good players gonna get?

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793986 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I can’t lie. I ended up watching. TV was on in the garage when I went in there and seen Simpson talking and took it in.

It was a good presentation. I’m happy he wasn’t booed.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793987 is a reply to message #793986 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 18:54

I can’t lie. I ended up watching. TV was on in the garage when I went in there and seen Simpson talking and took it in.

Im a sucker for this kinda stuff. Love seeing former players and hearing/seeing all the stories. I have it pvr’d and will def watch it before turning the game on (also PVR’d, dang kids and their bedtimes haha)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793990 is a reply to message #793987 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 18:59

g2k wrote on Fri, 05 November 2021 18:54

Im a sucker for this kinda stuff. Love seeing former players and hearing/seeing all the stories. I have it pvr’d and will def watch it before turning the game on (also PVR’d, dang kids and their bedtimes haha)

Wait so you’re telling me that long serving OEG Vice chair and non-hockey executive Kevin Lowe also played for the team?

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #793989 is a reply to message #793931 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Gretzky couldn’t take a charter to be here for tonight?

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794060 is a reply to message #793989 ]
Sat, 06 November 2021 08:48 Go to previous message

No Cups

well you see, there are tier one players and tier two players. Tier one players put up points and bring in fans and make the team money. Gretzky shows up for tier one players.

Previous Topic:Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Next Topic:GDT: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca