This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793622]
Wed, 27 October 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Philadelphia to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793623 is a reply to message #793622 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Koskinen owns that one.

The amount of times he looks confused, lost, can't find the puck or otherwise discombobulated is actually amazing. Almost every shot he is looking behind him and if not is scrambling around trying to find his net and/or the puck.

When he is on he is average, and the Oilers can outscore that, but on a night like this he is bad enough that it would be impossible for most teams to overcome.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793625 is a reply to message #793622 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Boo-urns.

Weren't going 82-0, but goaltending definitely showing it’s colours.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793626 is a reply to message #793625 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 22:57

Boo-urns.

Thankfully Smith is only 3 months older than he was in the playoffs.

That’s a relief.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793628 is a reply to message #793626 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 22:58

Boo-urns.

That’s a relief.

He’s been good, generally speaking. This tandem is going to be our downfall though

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793630 is a reply to message #793628 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilock91  is currently offline Oilock91

No Cups

Kenny better be looking into shoring up the goalie situation sooner then later and he better have the 1st rounder in play, absolutely no reason for it not to be. Sick of these bad goals being let in after the Oilers have been pushing the play to then being deflated.

1st, Koski, Benson and Samorukov get it done for Gibson?

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793632 is a reply to message #793628 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 23:01

g2k wrote on Wed, 27 October 2021 22:58

Boo-urns.

That’s a relief.

He’s been good, generally speaking. This tandem is going to be our downfall though

He was pretty terrible in the game he got hurt. Also brittle.

Still, terrible in two of six games is probably better than I hoped for out of this tandem.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793631 is a reply to message #793622 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

This already feels like ‘06.

Goaltending. Instead of a 3 headed monster, we’ve got a good 1B like Markkanen but he’s almost pensionable, a poor man’s Mike Morrison and wishing for a Dwayne Roloson, when we know we are getting Ty Conklin.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793639 is a reply to message #793631 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 02:32

This already feels like ‘06.

It kinda does doesn't it? Outside of the net, the team actually looks pretty good. I thought 4K on the 3rd pairing with Barrie was a massive upgrade on Russell. Not a top pairing by any stretch, but definitely a serviceable pairing - both guys have their warts, but they seem to complement each other pretty well.

Keith and Ceci still looking better than I had hoped, Bouchard is going to be expensive in a few years. Top 3 lines look good. 4th line wasn't very good.

Oh well - onward and upward.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793634 is a reply to message #793622 ]
Wed, 27 October 2021 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Koskinen.. brutal .. goat on at least 2 goals. If Smith isn't ready next game put in Skinner.

Update.. goat on 3 goals.. forgot about the 3rd goal with less than a second in the 2nd period. How does that go in.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2021 00:07]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793641 is a reply to message #793634 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Koskinen is truly a mystery to me. The guy has been good the whole preseason, he was good in the 2 games he played in, then he puts up a stinker last night. He can't blame it on being overplayed and tired because he'd only started 2 games before that one and had 5 days between starts. Even got a few days off before he practiced. He likes to practice which he got some full practices in. They guys is just baffling at times.

I don't expect elite level goaltending from the guy but in my opinion, he's capable of at least league average goaltending which would have been more than enough last night.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793642 is a reply to message #793641 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 09:09

Koskinen is truly a mystery to me. The guy has been good the whole preseason, he was good in the 2 games he played in, then he puts up a stinker last night. He can't blame it on being overplayed and tired because he'd only started 2 games before that one and had 5 days between starts. Even got a few days off before he practiced. He likes to practice which he got some full practices in. They guys is just baffling at times.

I don't expect elite level goaltending from the guy but in my opinion, he's capable of at least league average goaltending which would have been more than enough last night.

Easy to understand. he's just a bit rusty. A guy like that needs regular minutes so he's in the flow of things. Of course, you can't overplay him, because he wears down, so you need to limit his total minutes played, otherwise you'll see a drop off. Fairly simply sutff.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793643 is a reply to message #793642 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 09:43

Easy to understand. he's just a bit rusty. A guy like that needs regular minutes so he's in the flow of things. Of course, you can't overplay him, because he wears down, so you need to limit his total minutes played, otherwise you'll see a drop off. Fairly simply sutff.

He's played 3 games in 3 weeks with a 5 day break in between game 2 and 3. Before his first start, he played 1 period in 2 weeks. I don't know how you limit his minutes much more.

Slightly off topic for the minutes. I wonder if having Smith on the team, the fact that Smith plays the puck so well and the fact Tippett really likes that, make it so Koskinen feels compelled to play the puck more than he normally would. The second goal is all on him and he had an adventure or 2 each of the previous starts. Smith is a unicorn in a goalie being able to handle the puck like he can so I don't think Koskinen should be thinking he needs to.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2021 10:14]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793644 is a reply to message #793643 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 10:06

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 09:43

He's played 3 games in 3 weeks with a 5 day break in between game 2 and 3. Before his first start, he played 1 period in 2 weeks. I don't know how you limit his minutes much more.

Well there you go, sounds like the limited minutes are the problem.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793645 is a reply to message #793641 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 08:09

That was league average goaltending. Guys that have a .910 save percentage aren't just average every night. Going into last night's game Koskinen had a save percentage above .940. He was never going to maintain that long term, so either he was going to have a run of 6-8 games where he's slightly below average or he's going to let in 4 goals every few games.

Even after last night, he's still at .926 which is good for 15th in the league right now, and would be a career year for him if he were to maintain this pace for the rest of the season.

Mike Smith, who I believe you think had a really good season last year and ended with a .920 save percentage, let in 4 or more goals 7 times in 30 starts.

I really don't understand what you're expecting from Koskinen here. But if you think he should only ever let in 3 or less goals, then I think you're going to be disappointed.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793646 is a reply to message #793645 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 10:44

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 08:09

That was league average goaltending. Guys that have a .910 save percentage aren't just average every night. Going into last night's game Koskinen had a save percentage above .940. He was never going to maintain that long term, so either he was going to have a run of 6-8 games where he's slightly below average or he's going to let in 4 goals every few games.

Even after last night, he's still at .926 which is good for 15th in the league right now, and would be a career year for him if he were to maintain this pace for the rest of the season.

Mike Smith, who I believe you think had a really good season last year and ended with a .920 save percentage, let in 4 or more goals 7 times in 30 starts.

I really don't understand what you're expecting from Koskinen here. But if you think he should only ever let in 3 or less goals, then I think you're going to be disappointed.

Maybe I should have clarified what I meant by giving league average goaltending. I consider a goalie gave his team league average goaltending on a night when he is posting at minimum .900 or better. Now, this is assuming the team wasn't a complete epic disaster defensively. So to qualify, if the goalie is standing on his head but ends up below .900 while his team decides not to play defense giving up odd man rushes and breakaways all game, then I get a goalie can only do so much.

I also do not consider a goalie giving league average goaltending in a game when they give up 2 stinker goals and maybe 3. The first goal, I have him partly at fault because he bit so hard on the one side, he couldn't slide across to the other. The second goal it was all him giving the puck up behind the net. The 4th goal is a goal that can't go in.

So I am not expecting Koskinen to challenge for a vesina but I expect an NHL goalie to not let in 2, maybe 3 garbage goals. That applies to him, Smith, Skinner or any goalie in the league. If Vaslievsky let in the 3 goals I mentioned, I'd say he had a crap night. I thought the Oilers overall did more than enough to win, I thought they have way more better scoring chances. They must have missed the net on 4 or 5 what should have been sure goals. They should be 6-0 if they got a couple of stops. That's literally all they needed was a couple of stops. So I don't think going into a Koskinen start expecting him not to let in at least the 2nd and 4th goal is unrealistic.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793648 is a reply to message #793646 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 10:09

Maybe I should have clarified what I meant by giving league average goaltending. I consider a goalie gave his team league average goaltending on a night when he is posting at minimum .900 or better. Now, this is assuming the team wasn't a complete epic disaster defensively. So to qualify, if the goalie is standing on his head but ends up below .900 while his team decides not to play defense giving up odd man rushes and breakaways all game, then I get a goalie can only do so much.

I also do not consider a goalie giving league average goaltending in a game when they give up 2 stinker goals and maybe 3. The first goal, I have him partly at fault because he bit so hard on the one side, he couldn't slide across to the other. The second goal it was all him giving the puck up behind the net. The 4th goal is a goal that can't go in.

So I am not expecting Koskinen to challenge for a vesina but I expect an NHL goalie to not let in 2, maybe 3 garbage goals. That applies to him, Smith, Skinner or any goalie in the league. If Vaslievsky let in the 3 goals I mentioned, I'd say he had a crap night. I thought the Oilers overall did more than enough to win, I thought they have way more better scoring chances. They must have missed the net on 4 or 5 what should have been sure goals. They should be 6-0 if they got a couple of stops. That's literally all they needed was a couple of stops. So I don't think going into a Koskinen start expecting him not to let in at least the 2nd and 4th goal is unrealistic.

Right, what I'm saying is that league average goalies have good games and bad games. If Koskinen only let in goals where the defence totally failed in front of him, he'd be in the Vezina conversation every year.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793649 is a reply to message #793648 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Yamo is starting to really concern me. It's 6 games playing with a scoring champ, league MVP center and he has zero points. The set up he got from Leon where all he could do was fire the puck into the pads. Other than a wide open net, I don't know if a guy gets a better set up to score. If you can't bury that, that's a problem. It goes into the playoffs and the last half of the season, not just 6 games.

I don't know how much longer they can keep him on that line. At some point, you have to score something when you get top 6 time. I don't like the idea of splitting up the 3rd line. I am not sure last night was their best game but overall, that entire line has been very good. So you are left with promoting a Perlini or a Turris I guess. I don't see Benson as an option because he doesn't shoot or score goals much at all. His best junior season was his last where he had 27 goals as a 20 yr old which isn't a lot in junior. His best AHL season he had 15 goals in 68 games, he only score 2 goals in 19 games last year in the swiss league. The Oilers don't need another passer on Leon's line or McD's.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793655 is a reply to message #793649 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 11:46

Yamo is starting to really concern me. It's 6 games playing with a scoring champ, league MVP center and he has zero points. The set up he got from Leon where all he could do was fire the puck into the pads. Other than a wide open net, I don't know if a guy gets a better set up to score. If you can't bury that, that's a problem. It goes into the playoffs and the last half of the season, not just 6 games.

I don't know how much longer they can keep him on that line. At some point, you have to score something when you get top 6 time. I don't like the idea of splitting up the 3rd line. I am not sure last night was their best game but overall, that entire line has been very good. So you are left with promoting a Perlini or a Turris I guess. I don't see Benson as an option because he doesn't shoot or score goals much at all. His best junior season was his last where he had 27 goals as a 20 yr old which isn't a lot in junior. His best AHL season he had 15 goals in 68 games, he only score 2 goals in 19 games last year in the swiss league. The Oilers don't need another passer on Leon's line or McD's.

I'd try Foegele with Drai and Nuge, and put Benson in his spot. Let Yamo watch from the pressbox for a few games - he's got NOTHING going on for about 50 games.

I think you're right on Koskinen feeling pressured to play the puck more. Gazzola kept saying how much he works on stickhandling in practice. There's also the element where we "forgive" Smith for gaffes somewhat more because it's "part of his game" - whereas with Koskinen, it's just another problem for him.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793657 is a reply to message #793655 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 12:18

I'd try Foegele with Drai and Nuge, and put Benson in his spot. Let Yamo watch from the pressbox for a few games - he's got NOTHING going on for about 50 games.

I think you're right on Koskinen feeling pressured to play the puck more. Gazzola kept saying how much he works on stickhandling in practice. There's also the element where we "forgive" Smith for gaffes somewhat more because it's "part of his game" - whereas with Koskinen, it's just another problem for him.

i'd consider spending some of that stickhandling practice working on my glovehand instead.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793658 is a reply to message #793655 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 12:18

If you look at the players that are going and could deserve a bump, it's one of Foegele or Kassian. But like I said, that line is playing so well I am reluctant to break it up. Also in Benson, he's nothing like Foegele. I think part of why that line is so good is Ryan is the cerebral smart guy that has some skill and Foegele and Kassian are straight line, get in hard on the forecheck, throw a hit, fast skating, take it to the goal. Someone could correct me if I am wrong about him but I think Benson is none of that. So not only would you be breaking up an effective 3rd line but you also completely change the make up and how they would play.

If I am the coaching staff and I mean Tippett specifically, I am having a meeting with Koskinen and telling him to his face, that he needs to stop worrying about puck handling and thinking that he won't play unless he starts handling the puck like Smith. I personally think that is the reason he does it because he thinks he won't play unless he handles it like Smith. To put such an emphasis on working on that particular skill tells me he thinks it's an area he needs to improve on to get ice time. His job is to stop the damn puck, not worrying about making a 50 ft stretch pass to a streaking McD like Smith can. Do I think it's kind of cool Smith can do that, sure but is it critical to the game? Hell freaking no.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2021 12:39]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793660 is a reply to message #793658 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 11:37

If I am the coaching staff and I mean Tippett specifically, I am having a meeting with Koskinen and telling him to his face, that he needs to stop worrying about puck handling and thinking that he won't play unless he starts handling the puck like Smith. I personally think that is the reason he does it because he thinks he won't play unless he handles it like Smith. To put such an emphasis on working on that particular skill tells me he thinks it's an area he needs to improve on to get ice time. His job is to stop the damn puck, not worrying about making a 50 ft stretch pass to a streaking McD like Smith can. Do I think it's kind of cool Smith can do that, sure but is it critical to the game? Hell freaking no.

Makes me think that maybe the messaging from Tippett has been the opposite and that he wants Koskinen to get better at playing the puck more. If he and Smith are going to split time this year, whether by design or due to injury, there would be benefit in terms of their styles being more similar. If Smith did what he does, and Koskinen just stood in his crease the whole time, that would mean the defence would constantly need to be adjusting their thinking about puck retrieval and zone coverage.

Not to say that Koskinen could ever become Mike Smith in terms of puck handling, but I could see the coaches asking him to take an approach more similar to Smith's.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793661 is a reply to message #793660 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 13:10

Makes me think that maybe the messaging from Tippett has been the opposite and that he wants Koskinen to get better at playing the puck more. If he and Smith are going to split time this year, whether by design or due to injury, there would be benefit in terms of their styles being more similar. If Smith did what he does, and Koskinen just stood in his crease the whole time, that would mean the defence would constantly need to be adjusting their thinking about puck retrieval and zone coverage.

Not to say that Koskinen could ever become Mike Smith in terms of puck handling, but I could see the coaches asking him to take an approach more similar to Smith's.

Think that is true and I believe it was mentioned last year. Kostko was spending lots of time after practice working on his puck handling so the players could have a more consistent game plan in their own end. Not ideal in a ~50/50 goalie situation to have one that plays the puck every time, and one that just stays in his net.

I hope those after practice sessions are still happening :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6) [message #793662 is a reply to message #793660 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 14:07 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 13:10

I am sure you are right. Tippett clearly values Smith's puck moving so when Koskinen is in there, I get why he would want him to try to do at least some things similar to Smith so your defense doesn't completely have to change depending on who is in. But he's asking Koskinen to try to do a skill he's just not good at. I just think it's not the right way to look at it because it costs the team. He just stays in his net, they come away with at least a point and in 3 on 3 or a shootout, I am taking a team with McD and Leon every time to win it.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7)
Next Topic:GDT: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #6)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca