This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2021 Training Camp threadPages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792449 is a reply to message #792445 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:38

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:19

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 15:34

I will be curious to see what the level of freak out will be for Oilers fans if Benson doesn't make the team after having another camp where he is just mediocre at best for all of camp.

The team will lose him if he doesn't make the team. It would be a mistake to lose Benson over, say, Devin Shore.

I am no lover of Devon Shore so if he doesn't make the team I won't be upset but I do know what Sore does. He's a bottom 6 forward that skates reasonably well, can kill some penalties, will forecheck, can play center or wing, wins some faceoffs, chip in the odd goal and has some physical play in his game.

What exactly does Benson do? I am not asking that question to be a smart ass or to start an argument. I am asking because I haven't figured that out yet and where he would fit.

He's not overly big, he's not fast, not physical, not tough. Defense has never been is strong suit but maybe he has gotten better. Don't know if he can kill penalties because like I said, defense wasn't his strong suit. He's not hard to play against, not much of a forechecker nor do we know if he can score at the NHL level.

So what does he do?

Shore was literally one of the worst players in the NHL last year. Benson was one of the best in the AHL. I'd like to see us give the chance to the guy who we've put some years of development behind who CLEARLY has a higher ceiling than Devin Shore.

I don't think any of your critiques are based in any kind of fact, because you just haven't watched him much. I've always thought there were better players available at the pick than Tyler Benson - the fact that you had a linemate of McDavid's in junior who'd put up huge points both with and without him should have given them some insight on DeBrincat as that pick. However, once the pick is spent and you've developed him and he's been consistently trending in the right direction (despite at a much lower trajectory than DeBrincat) then I don't throw that player away because there's a guy who hits a little who you can healthy scratch any time.

Friendly reminder that Shore trains with McDavid all summer and they seem to be buddies. He's making this team.

#Intangibles

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792466 is a reply to message #792445 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:38

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:19

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 15:34

I will be curious to see what the level of freak out will be for Oilers fans if Benson doesn't make the team after having another camp where he is just mediocre at best for all of camp.

The team will lose him if he doesn't make the team. It would be a mistake to lose Benson over, say, Devin Shore.

I am no lover of Devon Shore so if he doesn't make the team I won't be upset but I do know what Sore does. He's a bottom 6 forward that skates reasonably well, can kill some penalties, will forecheck, can play center or wing, wins some faceoffs, chip in the odd goal and has some physical play in his game.

What exactly does Benson do? I am not asking that question to be a smart ass or to start an argument. I am asking because I haven't figured that out yet and where he would fit.

He's not overly big, he's not fast, not physical, not tough. Defense has never been is strong suit but maybe he has gotten better. Don't know if he can kill penalties because like I said, defense wasn't his strong suit. He's not hard to play against, not much of a forechecker nor do we know if he can score at the NHL level.

So what does he do?

Shore was literally one of the worst players in the NHL last year. Benson was one of the best in the AHL. I'd like to see us give the chance to the guy who we've put some years of development behind who CLEARLY has a higher ceiling than Devin Shore.

I don't think any of your critiques are based in any kind of fact, because you just haven't watched him much. I've always thought there were better players available at the pick than Tyler Benson - the fact that you had a linemate of McDavid's in junior who'd put up huge points both with and without him should have given them some insight on DeBrincat as that pick. However, once the pick is spent and you've developed him and he's been consistently trending in the right direction (despite at a much lower trajectory than DeBrincat) then I don't throw that player away because there's a guy who hits a little who you can healthy scratch any time.

I understand you don't like Shore, doesn't matter what he does, you rag on the guy.

What exactly is wrong with my critiques of Benson other than I don't follow you blindly like some do in here and just regurgitate what you say?

Is Benson a big body? He's 6'0, 190. So no he is not a big body. So what I said it 100% true.

Is he fast? No he is not. Look up every last scouting report you can find and they all say he does not have good speed. Listen to every time Jay Woodcroft has come on over the years and he talks about how he's working on his skating. Listen to freaking Benson and he talks about working on his skating. So what I said is 100% true.

Is he physical or tough? No he is not. Not every player in the NHL needs to be tough or physical but if you aren't an elite scorer, you need to do something. So what I said is 100% true.

Look up every scouting report you want to find and they will all say "he needs to work on his defense. Same goes for the coaches who all said he has been working on his defense. So what I said is 100% true.

Does he kill penalties? He was working on it in the minors last year, do I know if he can do it in the NHL? NO. Do you know it? No. So what I said is 100% true.

Is he known to be a good forechecker? I haven't heard or read that anywhere. Could he be? Maybe but as far as I know he isn't.

He's not even a center, he's a left winger. So he doesn't even have that going for him.

Could Benson play in the NHL? Maybe but when I look at what he does, I am not seeing much that fits any kind of role. AND. Just because you score in the AHL, doesn't mean you will score in the NHL. If you decide not to be lazy, go look up players inthe KHL and you will find TONS that where big time scorers in the AHL. Cooper Marody is a very good scorer in the AHL but he isn't an NHL player.

Unless your plan is to drop one of Nuge, Hyman, JP or Yamo from the top 6 and replace one of them with Benson, Benson has to figure out how to do something other than maybe score or occassially pass the puck well because he will be in the bottom 6.

Whether you like it or not, Perlini, Shore, Turris are creating offense this preseason, Benson has not. At somepoint you have to do SOMETHING and the excuse of not being in the top 6 isn't valid.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792455 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Oilers/Kraken on NBC

135 on Telus

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792464 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Nine more sent down..

Of these guys I was most impressed with Niemelainen.. could have an NHL'er there.

.. and Kemp for the reason I thought he'd be worse, but was pleasantly surprised.. his wheels aren't that bad, moved the puck up efficiently, and he was a steady defensive presence.. Kesserlring needs a couple years work in the Bako.

Adam Cracknell (F)
Vincent Desharnais (D)
Luke Esposito (F)
James Hamblin (F)
Philip Kemp (D)
Michael Kesselring (D)
Brad Malone (F)
Markus Niemelainen (D)
Olivier Rodrigue (G)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792465 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Per Reid Wilkins..
I'll be interested to see Bouchard-Nurse, and Foegele-McD-JP

Quote:

Reid Wilkins
@ReidWilkins
Oilers expected roster vs. Jets:

Foegele-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Kassian
Perlini-Shore-Turris
Sceviour-McLeod-Griffith

Nurse-Bouchard
Lagesson-Ceci
Brogerg-Berglund

Koskinen
Skinner

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792467 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kassian sleepwalking through camp/pre-season is unfortunate. Gets a chance to play with Drai tonight and can't even receive a pass.

2 more seasons to wait until his next contract year.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792468 is a reply to message #792467 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Gotta say I haven't been impressed by Ceci one bit. Any number of our depth defencemen have looked far better than him so far. How many years did we sign him for again?

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792469 is a reply to message #792468 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sat, 02 October 2021 19:35

Gotta say I haven't been impressed by Ceci one bit. Any number of our depth defencemen have looked far better than him so far. How many years did we sign him for again?

Looks a bit lost out there eh? Definitely took it on the chin tonight, 10 higher danger chances against and 1 for. And I think more than half of those were against the Jet's 3rd and 4th lines.

Wish I could say I would expect more, but I feel like our org was the only on that didn't have the full book on the player. I find it hard to believe he had offers on the table even close to what we gave him.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 October 2021 20:25]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792478 is a reply to message #792469 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 October 2021 19:22

Looks a bit lost out there eh? Definitely took it on the chin tonight, 10 higher danger chances against and 1 for. And I think more than half of those were against the Jet's 3rd and 4th lines.

Wish I could say I would expect more, but I feel like our org was the only on that didn't have the full book on the player. I find it hard to believe he had offers on the table even close to what we gave him.

Yeah Ceci looked out of position a bit tonight, might have something to do with playing with Lagesson, Lagesson went walk-about on the last two goals, went chasing the puck carrier out to the point, everyone else lost their assignments down low, and a guy was left wide open, not sure why d-men do that, the chance of debacle increases exponentially, a d-man chasing a forward to the blue-line means a forward has to play the d-man's position down low.. confusion ensues.. and bad things happen.

I was impressed with both Bergland and Broberg, very steady defensively against a solid forechecking team in the Jets, who had most of their main guys playing. Those two look like future NHL'ers.. a year for Bergland, or two for Broberg, in Bako should suffice.

Perlini continues to impress, he's got a job on the 3rd line.

McLeod looked more effective tonight.. still a lot of work required.

Puljujarvi has me excited about the possibilities for this season.. man what a cannon of a shot!
That line of Hyman, McD, JP is going to do a lot of damage.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792470 is a reply to message #792468 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Agreed. I have watched parts of all of the preseason games and 2 of them in full. I have tried to focus on all of the new Oilers and he is the one I am most concerned with.
All of the preseason caveats apply but;
- he skates ok in a straight line but his lateral movement and change of speed skating backwards is brutal
- the above speed change concern seems to be the culprit in him having bad gap control on almost every zone entry
- his angles are not good
- one positive is he seems to be in the right spot once setup in his own zone.

Last night I played my first hockey game of the season and we were short defenceman. I got asked to move back in was not a pretty performance.
By gap control and angles were similar to Ceci. He looks like a forward playing back there.

I will wait until about ten games into the season to pass full judgement but he has me concerned.

In better news I have positive thoughts about almost every other Oiler. I think Koskinen made more glove saves tonight than he has in his career to date total!

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792471 is a reply to message #792467 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 October 2021 18:52

Kassian sleepwalking through camp/pre-season is unfortunate. Gets a chance to play with Drai tonight and can't even receive a pass.

2 more seasons to wait until his next contract year.

Can't say I've been impressed in the 2 starts I've watched. Hopefully he gets it out of 2nd gear for the regular season.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792472 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jesse and Nuge snipes were highlights tonight. Hope we get to see lots of that this season!

Hope Yams can find a way to get back to his rookie form. Badly need rookie Yams on that 2nd line RW.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792473 is a reply to message #792472 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 October 2021 20:30

Jesse and Nuge snipes were highlights tonight. Hope we get to see lots of that this season!

Hope Yams can find a way to get back to his rookie form. Badly need rookie Yams on that 2nd line RW.

I think by the end of this year it will be clear that Jesse is the 3rd best forward. He looks confident, strong on his skates and grown up (for lack of a better descriptor)
I am guessing 25 goals is his floor.

McDavid, Hyman and JP are going to be a handful if I am right.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792474 is a reply to message #792473 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 02 October 2021 20:37

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 October 2021 20:30

I think by the end of this year it will be clear that Jesse is the 3rd best forward. He looks confident, strong on his skates and grown up (for lack of a better descriptor)
I am guessing 25 goals is his floor.

McDavid, Hyman and JP are going to be a handful if I am right.

This I agree with 100%. Puljujarvi looks really good out there. When he was on the ice for the last minute defending the lead and looking for the hattrick, he was hard on the puck and didn’t force anything. It’s only preseason, but that tells me he wants to win over personal stats.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792477 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

For those worried about Ceci and his showing so far, let’s keep in mind his d partner hasn’t played yet. Hold your criticisms. Keith will save him.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792480 is a reply to message #792477 ]
Sat, 02 October 2021 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Forgot to give props to Ehlers for the game tonight!

Another successful 20% of a game spent laying on the ice looking around for the ref to call something on us. Pettersson is healthy again though, so will give Ehlers a run for his money to win the league diving contest.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792482 is a reply to message #792480 ]
Sun, 03 October 2021 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I thought Koskinen looked good last night. Made lots of saves to give them a chance to win.

I thought this was one of Bouchards worse games in camp but overall he's been good.IN general I thought the whole defense wasn't that good.

There is a chance that the Perlini - Shore - Turris line could be the Oilers starting 4th line. They seem to play well together, seem to be able to do decent defensively and they general offense. Another goal for that line and Perlini was good again.

JP is a freaking monster out there. So far he is looking like the player they were hoping they were drafting. So glad to be wrong about him.

Nice to see Nuge get one. I thought he was pretty quiet but a great snipe.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792485 is a reply to message #792480 ]
Sun, 03 October 2021 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 October 2021 22:13

Forgot to give props to Ehlers for the game tonight!

Another successful 20% of a game spent laying on the ice looking around for the ref to call something on us. Pettersson is healthy again though, so will give Ehlers a run for his money to win the league diving contest.

2022 NHL Diving Championships

Ehlers ... or..
https://media3.giphy.com/media/dGqajH1xpsGcw/200.webp?cid=ecf05e47n6nc4pgerwiq0famjnltrzvbowuzyjtq7fkhm819&rid=200.webp&ct=g

Petterson.. too tough to call..
https://media4.giphy.com/media/KmlTchPoFQT84/200.webp?cid=ecf05e47n6nc4pgerwiq0famjnltrzvbowuzyjtq7fkhm819&rid=200.webp&ct=g

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792491 is a reply to message #792485 ]
Sun, 03 October 2021 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Lines at practice

Hyman - McD- JP
RNH - Drai - Yamo
Foegele - Ryan - Kassian
Perlini - Shore - Turris
Benson - McLeod-Sceviour

Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Koekkoek-Bouchard
Lagesson-Russell

Based on all the reports of how guys are playing, those are the line I would start with.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792495 is a reply to message #792491 ]
Sun, 03 October 2021 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Edmonton Oilers: Assigned defensemen Filip Berglund, Philip Broberg and goaltender Ilya Konovalov to Bakersfield (AHL). Placed forwards Seth Griffith and Cooper Marody on waivers.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792500 is a reply to message #792495 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Marody doesn't have the skating to be an NHLer. Looks like he will just be a very good AHLer.

I have high hopes for Broberg and Berglund. I think Broberg with some time developing because he is barely 20 and actually playing games in North America has the potential to be a good one and Berglund sure sounds like he is knocking on the door of being a solid, right shot dman real quick. I hope they play them a TON in Bakersfield.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792502 is a reply to message #792500 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 07:33

Marody doesn't have the skating to be an NHLer. Looks like he will just be a very good AHLer.

I have high hopes for Broberg and Berglund. I think Broberg with some time developing because he is barely 20 and actually playing games in North America has the potential to be a good one and Berglund sure sounds like he is knocking on the door of being a solid, right shot dman real quick. I hope they play them a TON in Bakersfield.

Nah, they should just let them sit and watch from the press box for 2 months straight. That's clearly the ideal development program for a young d-man. I will never let this go.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792505 is a reply to message #792502 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Who is Tippett hardest on this year? [ 16 vote(s) ]
1.Cody Ceci 5 / 31%
2.Duncan Keith 0 / 0%
3.Evan Bouchard 11 / 69%

Goose wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 10:08

Nah, they should just let them sit and watch from the press box for 2 months straight. That's clearly the ideal development program for a young d-man. I will never let this go.

Definitely curious as the season starts who Tippett singles out for criticism. He had a bit of a broadside at a couple people the other night. We also saw last year that he has a lot more patience for errors by older grinders than young defenceman...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792506 is a reply to message #792505 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 10:55

Goose wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 10:08

Definitely curious as the season starts who Tippett singles out for criticism. He had a bit of a broadside at a couple people the other night. We also saw last year that he has a lot more patience for errors by older grinders than young defenceman...

Quotes from last post-game to try to educate my vote:

Rishaug asking about Bouch and how Tip played him late to defend the lead and how Tip thought he did tonight
Tip: "I didn't think he was very good tonight"

Matty asks how he thought Ceci played tonight
Tip: "I'll have to look at the tape, I don't think the whole group played well tonight"

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792511 is a reply to message #792505 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Do we even know if Evan Bouchard takes care of his immune system? These are habits that you pick up over a long pro hockey career.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792514 is a reply to message #792511 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 13:09

Do we even know if Evan Bouchard takes care of his immune system? These are habits that you pick up over a long pro hockey career.

Does he even know about the infra-red lights? I bet he's using hotel shampoo sometimes.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792516 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
Hyman – McDavid – Puljujarvi
RNH – Draisaitl – Yamamoto
Foegele – Ryan – Kassian
Perlini – Shore – Turris

Nurse – Barrie
Keith – Ceci
Koekkoek – Bouchard

Koskinen

Smith was scheduled to start but left practice yesterday not feeling well. Oilers lineup v. Flames tonight.

Things gettin real! 4th forward line and missing Smith might be only thing not the same as the opening night roster.

Will be curious to see how that 3rd line plays. If Kassian can wake up could be a very good 3rd line. And of course heavy focus on Keith/Ceci

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2021 13:57]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792517 is a reply to message #792516 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 13:55

Foegele – Ryan – Kassian
Perlini – Shore – Turris

Nurse – Barrie
Keith – Ceci
Koekkoek – Bouchard

Koskinen

Smith was scheduled to start but left practice yesterday not feeling well. Oilers lineup v. Flames tonight.

Things gettin real! 4th forward line and missing Smith might be only thing not the same as the opening night roster.

I really hope Shore isn't an every day player for the Oilers this year. There's just better options available.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792518 is a reply to message #792517 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 13:57

Foegele – Ryan – Kassian
Perlini – Shore – Turris

Nurse – Barrie
Keith – Ceci
Koekkoek – Bouchard

Koskinen

I really hope Shore isn't an every day player for the Oilers this year. There's just better options available.

He trains with McDavid in the summer!!

https://c.tenor.com/1_Agc0In6BkAAAAC/come-on-man-joe-biden.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792522 is a reply to message #792518 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Foegele – Ryan – Kassian
Perlini – Shore – Turris

These are the guys that have played the best by far in camp. I am not surprised these are the lines to start. I could see McLeod getting some time as center but from everything that has been reported, he hasn't had a great camp.

Some people might not like it but the Perlini - Shore - Turris line has been on for zero goals against 5 on 5 and have scored multiple goals. I just heard that Benson has been on for 2 5 on 5, McLeod 3 5 on 5 and haven't scored anything. Plus possession, it's not even close as the Perlini - Shore - Turris have been superior while playing pretty much the same games against the same teams.

I am all for playing guys who are playing well and contributing vs just giving guys spots despite the fact they aren't playing well and hoping they can do something. Giving a Benson a spot because he "can score in the AHL" to me is doing exactly what they did in the past. Gifting guys spots based on nothing more than hopes and maybes.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792546 is a reply to message #792518 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 13:57

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 13:57

Foegele – Ryan – Kassian
Perlini – Shore – Turris

Nurse – Barrie
Keith – Ceci
Koekkoek – Bouchard

Koskinen

He trains with McDavid in the summer!!

https://c.tenor.com/1_Agc0In6BkAAAAC/come-on-man-joe-biden.gif

Drew Shore is the guy we are going after this year?

Man, you guys must have a short memory of our previous 4th lines. Or even 3rd lines if you want to look further back.

He’s been fine with me since he’s come to Edmonton.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792540 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

well after the 1st... on the good side Koski isn't playing too bad.

what the crap was that.. Oilers in summer no-hit hockey mode.. weak effort all around.
25 with a brain cramp
2, 5 with another.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2021 19:54]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792541 is a reply to message #792540 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 19:50

well after the 1st... on the good side Koski isn't playing too bad.

what the crap was that.. Oilers in summer no-hit hockey mode.. weak effort all around.
25 with a brain cramp
2, 5 with another.

No NHL.com highlights so I can see these GA's with Keith :)

Man, how on earth is SN not showing this game? They have a stupid Laffs game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792543 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Why would Calgary challenge that with goaltender interference?

Bizarro world..

3-3.

EDIT: 4-3. Leon.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792544 is a reply to message #792543 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 21:18

Why would Calgary challenge that with goaltender interference?

Bizarro world..

3-3.

EDIT: 4-3. Leon.

They thought Knee-O set the standard that you're allowed to take McDavid's legs out every time he gets around you wide.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792545 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Nice to spot the Flames near opening night roster 3 goals and still beat them.. sucks the moral victory out of their loss.

Keith looked great for his first pre-season, and Ceci.. needs a lot of work.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792547 is a reply to message #792545 ]
Mon, 04 October 2021 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 04 October 2021 21:40

Nice to spot the Flames near opening night roster 3 goals and still beat them.. sucks the moral victory out of their loss.

Keith looked great for his first pre-season, and Ceci.. needs a lot of work.

Sadly missed 90% of the game, so no ammo for me to rip on Keith yet :) Saw Jesse being a beast like he's been all pre-season. Kassian looked like a weak link on that 3rd line, should try someone else there.

I remember Markstrom looking like a monster every time we played him when he was a Canuck. Glad that has never translated during his time with the Lames.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792550 is a reply to message #792547 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Always nice to beat those guys, even if it is only preseason. I don't see how you keep Perlini off the roster at this point. Guy just keeps putting the puck in the net. Really impressed with JP's game. Guy is a beast.

Credit where credit is due too: Kostkinen has looked solid this preseason.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792552 is a reply to message #792550 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Flames hockey.

Hope the team gifts you a couple of goals which the Oilers did in the first.
Pray Markstrom stands on his head and can do it for the whole game. Which he did. He was fantastic and kept them in it.
Hold on for dear life as the other team comes in waves. Which was exactly what happened but the Oilers being the superior team in talent and speed beat them.

Other than the rough first where they gave the puck away non stop, I thought the Oilers were the better team by far. Easily could have had 3 more goals if Markstrom is even average. PP is lethal. Perlini looked good again. He keeps scoring playing on the 4th line with 4th line players. If he was scoring on McD tap ins, I wouldn't take much notice (see Rattie) but he's been on the 4th line with 4th line players. I am not sure how he doesn't make the team.

I thought Keith showed good things. Made some nice plays but he looked like a guy that it was his first game and missed most of camp. He and Ceci need time.

I thought the 3rd line Foegele - Ryan - Kassian had the yips in the first, this might be the first game they have actually played all together, I am not 100% on that but settled in and looked good for the last 2 periods. Had multiple chances and Tippett was playing them against the Flames top line.

Koskinen looked good again.

Did Yamo play last night? I watched the game and didn't notice him at all. Boy he needs to get going.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2021 09:22]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792561 is a reply to message #792552 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

McDavid commenting on a play that made by heart skip a beat watching live.

Quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-connor-mcdavid-c alls-dangerous-trip-flames-chris-tanev/

After the game, McDavid called the play "dangerous" for both himself and goalie Jacob Markstrom.

"Obviously they have the right to defend their net and defend me trying to get in there but when the stick kinda comes into the feet there like Tanev's did it's a dangerous play for me and the goalie," McDavid said. "I think you'd like to see that called a little more."

Tanev with a really careless play here. I know you are trying to play defence, but I don't think that is how you are supposed to do it. There should have been a penalty on the play 100%, but maybe the refs didn't care since it is the preseason. The Flames did them a favour by challenging the goal and getting a penalty anyway (with the GWG scored seconds later).

Glad McDavid is saying something though. He isn't some young rookie anymore whinning, he has had to endure this stuff for years, and considering he spent a whole summer recovering from a similar play in 2019 he has a right to be upset.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792566 is a reply to message #792561 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 12:06

McDavid commenting on a play that made by heart skip a beat watching live.

Quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-connor-mcdavid-c alls-dangerous-trip-flames-chris-tanev/

After the game, McDavid called the play "dangerous" for both himself and goalie Jacob Markstrom.

"Obviously they have the right to defend their net and defend me trying to get in there but when the stick kinda comes into the feet there like Tanev's did it's a dangerous play for me and the goalie," McDavid said. "I think you'd like to see that called a little more."

Tanev with a really careless play here. I know you are trying to play defence, but I don't think that is how you are supposed to do it. There should have been a penalty on the play 100%, but maybe the refs didn't care since it is the preseason. The Flames did them a favour by challenging the goal and getting a penalty anyway (with the GWG scored seconds later).

Glad McDavid is saying something though. He isn't some young rookie anymore whinning, he has had to endure this stuff for years, and considering he spent a whole summer recovering from a similar play in 2019 he has a right to be upset.

I don't love the way that Sportsnet couches things that "McDavid has never been shy about speaking out about officiating..." That's far from the truth. He's said virtually nothing about officiating in his career, even as he's been constantly mugged. Even there, he's more commenting on Tanev than he is on the reffing. The Oilers scored right after, so unlikely that there is even a penalty unless the NHL decided to really crack down on that.

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca