Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug

James Neal on waivers and will be bought out. Numbers below via
@CapFriendly

Jones and Holtby as well.

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun

Full unconditional waivers today:
Braden Holtby, Martin Jones, James Neal.
First buyout window of the off-season closed.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/james-neal

4 years - $1,916,667 cap hit

2 years saving $3,833,333

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2021 10:06]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790325 is a reply to message #790323 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Everybody and their dog able to trade their way out of bad contracts except the Oilers.

Clean house or bust

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790366 is a reply to message #790325 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

I am sure they could have traded him, but at what cost? I'd take Ghost over Neal and it wasn't cheap to move him out, also there are plenty of other bad contracts that teams are stuck with, Most of the guys that were left exposed to the draft are still on their teams or team paid a lot to move them.

Is buy-out player ideal? of course not, but when we moved Lucic for Neal one of the reasons people liked the deal was because the contract was much easier to buy out. So, now that we do that, everyone is pissed? I don't even mind the buy-out that much, with the money it frees up, it should be easy to find a player that is a better fit for our bottom 6 than Neal.

I get the hate for some of the other moves (Keith)and those to come (7 years for Hyman), but this one I am ok with.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790369 is a reply to message #790366 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 13:27

I am sure they could have traded him, but at what cost? I'd take Ghost over Neal and it wasn't cheap to move him out, also there are plenty of other bad contracts that teams are stuck with, Most of the guys that were left exposed to the draft are still on their teams or team paid a lot to move them.

Is buy-out player ideal? of course not, but when we moved Lucic for Neal one of the reasons people liked the deal was because the contract was much easier to buy out. So, now that we do that, everyone is pissed? I don't even mind the buy-out that much, with the money it frees up, it should be easy to find a player that is a better fit for our bottom 6 than Neal.

I get the hate for some of the other moves (Keith)and those to come (7 years for Hyman), but this one I am ok with.

👍🏻

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790370 is a reply to message #790369 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 15:00

👍🏻

There’s hate for Keith? I love the acquisition.

I’ve also really come around on Hyman. Term of 7 is a big meh, and 5.5 is probably 500k or more of an overstuffed burger but for what he injects into this top 6 is something we’ve sorely lacked.

I’m not so worried about this team 4-5-6 years from now. We need results now. Results now makes those 4-5-6 years from now easier to attract players as well.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790371 is a reply to message #790370 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 15:52

👍🏻

I’ve also really come around on Hyman. Term of 7 is a big meh, and 5.5 is probably 500k or more of an overstuffed burger but for what he injects into this top 6 is something we’ve sorely lacked.

I’m not so worried about this team 4-5-6 years from now. We need results now. Results now makes those 4-5-6 years from now easier to attract players as well.

I do worry about Mike Smith’s age in 4-5 years…

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790372 is a reply to message #790371 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 15:57

👍🏻

I do worry about Mike Smith’s age in 4-5 years…

When he’s an assistant coach with us after 2 years of being our goalie coach and his receiving ‘mad props’ for Konovalov’s success with the Oilers?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790374 is a reply to message #790372 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 14:52

👍🏻

My thumbs up was for the Neal buy out.. I'll edit my response above..
I'm happy with Keith trade, could have retained a couple mil in retrospect considering Chicago's successful acquisition of S. Jones, but its a relatively small amount for only 2 years.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2021 16:51]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790373 is a reply to message #790370 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

👍🏻

I'm all for the win now mentality (although it would be help a lot if we didn't make so many unforced errors on the cap space side). Fleury, the reigning Vezina winner got traded for virtually nothing because the Knights wanted to dump salary, so clearly Holland got fleeced giving up assets and getting zero cap relief from Chicago on that bad deal. He's helped Chicago be able to greatly improve their squad, as the cap space they've saved has helped them get Seth Jones and Marc-Andre Fleury.

I also am concerned about the goaltending. Mike Smith isn't the starting goalie on a contender at this point in his career, so that's the critical piece this week. You can't say you're going for it and not have a real goaltender yet again...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790376 is a reply to message #790370 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

eom

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790384 is a reply to message #790370 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'm OK with Hyman at 5.5 for 3 or 4 years, risk after, but if he falls off a cliff, a buyout option is roughly only $1.8M, and I'm one that believes the cap goes up by then, and effect on roster will be reduced.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790386 is a reply to message #790384 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 16:56

I'm OK with Hyman at 5.5 for 3 or 4 years, risk after, but if he falls off a cliff, a buyout option is roughly only $1.8M, and I'm one that believes the cap goes up by then, and effect on roster will be reduced.

Buyout after 4 years would mean that cap hit is on the books for the next EIGHT years. Look at how much money the best teams in the league have tied up in dead cap space. It's generally quite small. They find any other way to rid themselves of bad contracts, but they don't typically spend anywhere close to what we do on people who don't play here any more.

That's a significant issue because we could add really good players with the amount we've sidelined. We will have over $4MM in both of the next two years. There are only five players on the team who make more money than we have in dead space. We could almost afford a second Zach Hyman with it. It's hard to contend when you're working with only 95% of what the best teams have available to spend.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790396 is a reply to message #790386 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 16:02

Buyout after 4 years would mean that cap hit is on the books for the next EIGHT years.

Dubis won't do the 8 year sign and trade, so Oil would only get him at 7 years, so after 4 years, [3 (years remaining) x 2] = 6 years

So to buyout the last 3 years, over 6 years;

Assuming he signs for;
@$5.5M/year -> (5.5 x 3 x 0.66) / 6 years = $1.833M for 6 years

If;
@$5.25M/year -> (5.25 x 3 x 0.66) / 6 years = $1.748M for 6 years

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2021 18:01]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790401 is a reply to message #790396 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 20:54

Buyout after 4 years would mean that cap hit is on the books for the next EIGHT years.

Dubis won't do the 8 year sign and trade, so Oil would only get him at 7 years, so after 4 years, [3 (years remaining) x 2] = 6 years

Assuming he signs for;

If;

Hahahahaha. That’s how much faith we have in this management team striking a great deal - we’re already looking at buyout calculators for guys not even on the team yet.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790421 is a reply to message #790396 ]
Wed, 28 July 2021 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 17:54

Assuming he signs for;

If;

Oh good, only a six year buyout. Phew!

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790422 is a reply to message #790421 ]
Wed, 28 July 2021 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 28 July 2021 00:12

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 17:54

Assuming he signs for;

If;

Oh good, only a six year buyout. Phew!

NHL needs to get its crap together. Why can't you just add the buyout to a contract as soon as it's signed? Would save a lot of effort and stress leading up.

Breaking! Hyman signs with the Oilers on 10 year deal! 4 playing years AAV 5.5M and 6 no play years at 1.833M AAV.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 July 2021 00:20]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #792700 is a reply to message #790422 ]
Sat, 09 October 2021 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Neal found himself a job - in the NHL.

https://www.tsn.ca/james-neal-st-louis-blues-contract-1.1704 364

"The deal is worth $750,000.

Neal, who joined the Blues in training camp as a professional tryout, led the team with four goals in five preseason appearances."

The guy can play adequately in bursts and the right situations I predict he will play 47 games for the Blues (and/or whichever team takes him at the trade deadline) and score 10 goals this season.

Finally priced right for bottom 6 and maybe some special team duties.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #792702 is a reply to message #792700 ]
Sat, 09 October 2021 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Glad he found another spot. He isn't a bad player, and as long as the pay matches his output there is nothing to dislike.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #792704 is a reply to message #792702 ]
Sat, 09 October 2021 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Sat, 09 October 2021 11:22

Glad he found another spot. He isn't a bad player, and as long as the pay matches his output there is nothing to dislike.

The only thing I dislike is that the Oilers buyout is costing $1,916,667 per year for the next 4 years.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #792709 is a reply to message #792704 ]
Sat, 09 October 2021 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The more I think about it, the more I think we really should have found someone to give us a prospect and a pick or two for this boat anchor contract instead of buying him out. icon_rolleyes

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #792714 is a reply to message #792709 ]
Sat, 09 October 2021 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Sat, 09 October 2021 17:01

The more I think about it, the more I think we really should have found someone to give us a prospect and a pick or two for this boat anchor contract instead of buying him out. icon_rolleyes

Whoa, it sounds like you wish our GM squeezed other teams this summer! That's not how things work in this league pal.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #792717 is a reply to message #792714 ]
Sat, 09 October 2021 22:07 Go to previous message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 09 October 2021 21:23

Mike wrote on Sat, 09 October 2021 17:01

Whoa, it sounds like you wish our GM squeezed other teams this summer! That's not how things work in this league pal.

"What, did you want me to get rid of him for free?"

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790328 is a reply to message #790323 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Airball number... three? four? how many missteps has Holland made already this summer?

Fun fact: in McDavid's rookie season the Oilers had no buyout money taking up cap space. Since then they've paid one or more players to not play for them in every season. Just handicapping yourself coming out of the gate while other teams are gaming the system to spend over the cap...

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790329 is a reply to message #790328 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Jesus. So that's $4.166M in dead cap for the next 2 years. 5.1% of the total cap. And then at least another almost $2M for 2 more years after that...What a waste.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790331 is a reply to message #790329 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 10:43

Jesus. So that's $4.166M in dead cap for the next 2 years. 5.1% of the total cap. And then at least another almost $2M for 2 more years after that...What a waste.

I hate how happy Holland has been to sign up for these long buy-outs. The Sekera one still kills me. He's been a useful player ever since, and we'd be done with that deal now - instead we just continue to pay him forever. Now we can do the same for James Neal.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790332 is a reply to message #790331 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 14:03

I hate how happy Holland has been to sign up for these long buy-outs. The Sekera one still kills me. He's been a useful player ever since, and we'd be done with that deal now - instead we just continue to pay him forever. Now we can do the same for James Neal.

Agreed on Sekera. Even the Pouliot one was dumb. Mostly because they bought out those contracts to have cap space, and left it unused - probably in the conversation for one of the dumbest buyouts ever.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790333 is a reply to message #790332 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 11:10

Agreed on Sekera. Even the Pouliot one was dumb. Mostly because they bought out those contracts to have cap space, and left it unused - probably in the conversation for one of the dumbest buyouts ever.

How epic would buying out Keith's last season next summer be? :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790334 is a reply to message #790333 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 14:10

How epic would buying out Keith's last season next summer be? :)

I will drive to Edmonton and burn someone's house down.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790335 is a reply to message #790332 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The Canucks sent THREE bad contracts to the Coyotes in the OEL deal. now that might not have been the right trade for Edmonton but other teams routinely find a way to offload declining or overpaid players (or put them on LTIR forever). While they play chess Oilers management continues to eat paste.

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790337 is a reply to message #790335 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 27 July 2021 14:12

The Canucks sent THREE bad contracts to the Coyotes in the OEL deal. now that might not have been the right trade for Edmonton but other teams routinely find a way to offload declining or overpaid players (or put them on LTIR forever). While they play chess Oilers management continues to eat paste.

And we pay teams to take on their bad contracts. Good times.

Couldn't someone make him allergic to the jerseys or something?

Re: Neal to be bought out [message #790348 is a reply to message #790323 ]
Tue, 27 July 2021 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Even though this does make *some* sense with the urgency to win now, it should be serving as a cautionary tale about bad UFA signings. Lucic could only be traded for another bad contract, which ultimately just added additional years of dead cap space.

What I expect is that this just is opening space to repeat the same mistake all over with Zach Hyman.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca