This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Ken Holland Season Ending Press ConferencePages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786601 is a reply to message #786587 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 15:49

This did not inspire a lot of confidence.

The 10min from about 36:30 on where Rishaug asks him if he needs to be more aggressive in potentially moving some futures to help the team now is just rambling nonsense. Talking about there are no guarantees, and that it's hard to win the Cup. Did anyone here know that you go from the regular season to 16 teams in the playoffs, to 8, to 4, to 2, to 1? It's hard. Also, he did it once in Detroit when he traded for Chris Chelios and it didn't work out so confused2

He also mentioned, a couple of times, that you can't just bring in one player and then expect to win the Cup. I don't think anybody that follows the Oilers thinks that's realistic or is suggesting that he can do that.

Good news though is that he's been at this for 24 years and knows a thing or two about winning...sorry, wrong press conference. He's been at this for 24 years and been to the Finals 6 times and won 4 Cups, so he's lived all that.

Zero urgency from Ken Holland. Given multiple opportunities to talk about this team being a contender and what he needs to do - he fidgeted and rambled and said nothing.

His "I won four Cups" is pretty hollow comfort considering that the last one was 2008 and the rest are pre-salary cap days.

When he's talking about comparing this to the 1993 Red Wings, I fear that he thinks we're four years away. That's awful, just awful.

He said specifically "I'm not going to say we're going to win the Stanley Cup". What the hell is the point if you can't say that?

He talks about a 6-month, 1 year, 3 year, 7 year plan...and gives no evidence there actually is one.

He wants to make the playoffs every year. That's a low bar, Ken, given what we have here.

Did he mention he's done it before?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786603 is a reply to message #786601 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 16:50

The 10min from about 36:30 on where Rishaug asks him if he needs to be more aggressive in potentially moving some futures to help the team now is just rambling nonsense. Talking about there are no guarantees, and that it's hard to win the Cup. Did anyone here know that you go from the regular season to 16 teams in the playoffs, to 8, to 4, to 2, to 1? It's hard. Also, he did it once in Detroit when he traded for Chris Chelios and it didn't work out so confused2

He also mentioned, a couple of times, that you can't just bring in one player and then expect to win the Cup. I don't think anybody that follows the Oilers thinks that's realistic or is suggesting that he can do that.

Good news though is that he's been at this for 24 years and knows a thing or two about winning...sorry, wrong press conference. He's been at this for 24 years and been to the Finals 6 times and won 4 Cups, so he's lived all that.

Zero urgency from Ken Holland. Given multiple opportunities to talk about this team being a contender and what he needs to do - he fidgeted and rambled and said nothing.

His "I won four Cups" is pretty hollow comfort considering that the last one was 2008 and the rest are pre-salary cap days.

When he's talking about comparing this to the 1993 Red Wings, I fear that he thinks we're four years away. That's awful, just awful.

He said specifically "I'm not going to say we're going to win the Stanley Cup". What the hell is the point if you can't say that?

He talks about a 6-month, 1 year, 3 year, 7 year plan...and gives no evidence there actually is one.

He wants to make the playoffs every year. That's a low bar, Ken, given what we have here.

Were you expecting him to name names of who he's going to trade for and sign other than talk about a few of his teams free agents?

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786824 is a reply to message #786603 ]
Sat, 29 May 2021 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 16:51

Were you expecting him to name names of who he's going to trade for and sign other than talk about a few of his teams free agents?

I think the expectation, especially given the comments in and around this season’s deadline, is that they (Holland and co) realize that while they can’t go for it every year, this coming summer and season are when the Oilers window officially opens and we can really go for it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786864 is a reply to message #786824 ]
Sun, 30 May 2021 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 29 May 2021 19:04

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 16:51

I think the expectation, especially given the comments in and around this season’s deadline, is that they (Holland and co) realize that while they can’t go for it every year, this coming summer and season are when the Oilers window officially opens and we can really go for it.

I missed RDOF's first comment here, but I've seen a couple others.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is asking for a MacT style press conference where he opens the playbook and shows everyone all their plans.

What I would expect a good GM to do is to acknowledge their disappointment, punt on virtually everything related to what you're doing this summer - "we haven't had a chance to meet as a management team yet, we'll see what the summer brings, etc." I wouldn't have said that they were planning on signing Mike Smith. Faced with Rishaug's question, I'd say that we think we did go for it this year. We identified a hole on defence and brought in Kulikov and that we felt around the trade deadline that McLeod was ready to make the jump to the NHL - so we brought two pieces in for virtually nothing. I acknowledge that maybe it wasn't enough - taking a small amount of the blame for the failure on myself and away from the players - and say that the margin of error was so small, maybe another player would have made a big difference but we work with the information we have at the time. We see this as a very important year ahead, we absolutely are "going for it" and that we'll make the right deals to help the team both in the summer and in season. We won't force it if those deals aren't there - where teams make mistakes is when they overpay because they think they NEED to make a trade. We saw that here with the prior GM, actually.

I definitely wouldn't start rambling about what I did two and a half decades ago in Detroit as if that's got any relevance. I wouldn't have said we hope to be a team like Winnipeg some day. I definitely wouldn't have rambled on about how people have criticized me for signing bad contracts...especially since no one said anything about them.

Asked about the goals for this team, I would be clear that the team has to be a contender every year, and if player personnel is an issue that holds back the team, then it is on me. My goals for the meeting are to put a little bit of pressure on the players - send the message to players and fans that our time to win is now - but also point out that I have a lot of responsibility to what happens from here, letting the players know that I'm in it with them, and that I'm not going to bury them if the team is substandard and doesn't compete because of that.

I don't think that's too hard. Leaves a much better message for everyone than stammering about how I once traded for Chelios and it didn't work, but then years later we won, and we still had Chelios so you know...I don't even know what the point of that story was.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786869 is a reply to message #786864 ]
Sun, 30 May 2021 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The Oilers haven't crafted a message in 23 years that beats what Adam can write in ~10 minutes on a Sunday night after the kids go to bed. It's absolutely shameful.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786884 is a reply to message #786869 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 30 May 2021 22:53

The Oilers haven't crafted a message in 23 years that beats what Adam can write in ~10 minutes on a Sunday night after the kids go to bed. It's absolutely shameful.

I think part of the problem is that to the Oilers management, these availabilities are just part of the job. You have to go talk to the press. I don't see a lot of evidence that they spend much time planning for these and that they're even aware that it's an opportunity to send a specific message.

I mean, it's not like it would be terribly difficult to plan for these. Most of the scribes start trying to lay groundwork for the narrative they hope to pursue in their tweets as much as a day or two ahead of time. It's not like Mark Spector is hard to figure out. Hell, it's the Oilers media - they're pretty pliable - you could probably ask them to submit their questions a day ahead of time and they wouldn't even blink so long as you still promise you'll put out donuts.

Then you craft the message you want to deliver. If someone throws a curveball, you steer it back to the message. They should understand that people do hear what you say - your players, free agents, other teams - so stammering through a press conference, looking disorganized or flustered, seeming like there isn't much of a plan? It can negatively impact the team. There is no excuse for these to be a tire fire. Management sets the timeline and the rules of engagement, so why have so many of these been trainwrecks? I think it is pretty indicative of the team's management and it undoubtedly has impacted the team. Especially given everyone knows the media here are obsequious to the team - if it devolves in to a disaster when it's the friendliest media possible giving them a tiny amount of pushback, then how do these guys handle negotiations with agents or other teams? How do they handle adversity when the team hits a bump in the road - are these the guys who stay steady when the criticism ramps up?

I don't think Holland's presser was one that instilled confidence in anyone. The best praise it's had here is that it wasn't a complete circus and he didn't give away many secrets MacTavish-style.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786899 is a reply to message #786884 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

The Detroit stuff sounded all too much like "I know a thing or two about winning, if ever that were a concern" to me.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786900 is a reply to message #786899 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 11:09

The Detroit stuff sounded all too much like "I know a thing or two about winning, if ever that were a concern" to me.

He really did combine some of the historical GM greatest hits. Lowe's talking about the past. Chia's complaining about how hard everything is. Semi-confused Bobby Nick style rambling.

In the end, what he actually does could just end up being Tambo, count on drafting/development to save the day.

The only guy he really avoids emulating is MacT, which we can all celebrate.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786904 is a reply to message #786900 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 11:12

He really did combine some of the historical GM greatest hits. Lowe's talking about the past. Chia's complaining about how hard everything is. Semi-confused Bobby Nick style rambling.

In the end, what he actually does could just end up being Tambo, count on drafting/development to save the day.

Other than about Mike Smith.

"We really want to bring him back. Going to meet with him next week to discuss!"

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786905 is a reply to message #786904 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 11:53

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 11:12

Other than about Mike Smith.

"We really want to bring him back. Going to meet with him next week to discuss!"

Oh dang. Nvm. Holland is indeed all our recent GM's combined :) Just has to pop a cigar in his mouth to take it to the max.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786599 is a reply to message #786537 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I didn't expect him to say much, and not disappointed.
What he did say though is he'll look at buyout options, so if he dips into that idea, then it'd mean he'll be using the cap savings on something.. he's under selling, not a bad plan at this point.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786600 is a reply to message #786599 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 16:44

What he did say though is he'll look at buyout options, so if he dips into that idea, then it'd mean he'll be using the cap savings on something.. he's under selling, not a bad plan at this point.

He was pretty quick to say yes to buy outs so I have too assume he already got the paperwork almost filled out. My guess is Neal or Koskinen.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786611 is a reply to message #786600 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 16:50

He was pretty quick to say yes to buy outs so I have too assume he already got the paperwork almost filled out. My guess is Neal or Koskinen.

Reinstate the Sheldon Souray strategy....if only.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786608 is a reply to message #786599 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I don't get the outrage, any rhetoric in this presser is meaningless anyway. What do we want, his detailed strategy, who he's going to pursue, talk to, etc, etc? Roast him when he does something stupid or doesn't do anything, I say. This today is pretty needless.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786610 is a reply to message #786608 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 17:06

I don't get the outrage, any rhetoric in this presser is meaningless anyway. What do we want, his detailed strategy, who he's going to pursue, talk to, etc, etc? Roast him when he does something stupid or doesn't do anything, I say. This today is pretty needless.

I think the answer for some is yes, he should have sat there and told exactly his plans. He should have told us what he plans on offering any Oilers free agent. He should have listed off all the Oilers free agents he is going to let got. He should have ripped into the guys he thought sucked. He should have mentioned by name even if it's considered tampering to name off every free agent you plan on offering a contract too. He should have listed off every player on the Oilers roster he wants to buy out or trade. He should have listed off every prospect they have and tell us if he thinks they suck and wants to dump them or who he thinks is good. He should have mentioned who he plans on trying to trade for from other teams. Tampering be damned.

This would have showed everyone just how urgent he was to win.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786622 is a reply to message #786608 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 16:06

Exactly. 👍🏻

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786623 is a reply to message #786608 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 17:06

Could he try to be a little more subtle then? Some of that presser was so cringy. It's like he perfectly combined Bobby Nick's mindless babbling with Kevin Lowe's references to the distant past as proof of future results and Chia's complaining about how hard everything is.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786614 is a reply to message #786537 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

double fu to people insulting Bear with racist comments.

Not only is it ridiculous and disgusting, but it's also completely distracted from that hour of idiotic bumbling by our GM. Holland just gets to do that crap and go home with barely a word in the media.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786617 is a reply to message #786614 ]
Wed, 26 May 2021 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 17:31

Not only is it ridiculous and disgusting, but it's also completely distracted from that hour of idiotic bumbling by our GM. Holland just gets to do that crap and go home with barely a word in the media.

Absolutely disgusting. It is, however, insulting that some people (person?) on here is implying racism because some don't think Bear is all that. That is utter BS.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786654 is a reply to message #786614 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 17:31

I believe these comments happened, but I did not see them. Thankfully, I took a the series off from social media. Just when you see some positive changes happening regarding racism in sports, an event takes place and losers pick low hanging fruit. I have no time for it.

I loved McDavid's Tweet standing up for his teammate and calling out the BS. Bear has a lot of untapped potential and it's nice to have a familiar face representing Indigenous People's in the lineup. He's a hero in my area and my family reps the OilersNation M.O.B.L.I.Z.E hoody on the regular.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786651 is a reply to message #786537 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I did not expect the stuttering from Holland, but not everyone is a great public speaker. My voice from an 8 year old boy to a 13 year old hitting puberty when I talk to large groups.

Takeaways. Holland said nothing, which is not a terrible thing. We have been promised 'Bold moves" and been left holding the bar tab before. We have constantly complain that we telegraph every move and he gave us nothing besides a beer date with Mike Smith on his Cottage deck in BC.

I did hear Kenny talking about the old days a lot. Reminded me of me, when I speak to new staff and I am reliving my glory days. I am not going to jump the gun until everything unfolds.

He did quietly state that "I need to sign a couple of free agents", which I took as Nuge and Larsson and followed by acknowledging the criticism he has taken in the past regarding overpaying vets.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786653 is a reply to message #786651 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 08:54

"acknowledging the criticism he has taken in the past regarding overpaying vets."

Like back on Jan. 29th, 2020?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-sign-zack-kassian -four-year-extension/

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786658 is a reply to message #786653 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 08:56

"acknowledging the criticism he has taken in the past regarding overpaying vets."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-sign-zack-kassian -four-year-extension/

That was last season? Holy. I thought we were getting close to the end of that contract. 2023-24 is a long time away.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786659 is a reply to message #786658 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 09:23

That was last season? Holy. I thought we were getting close to the end of that contract. 2023-24 is a long time away.

My belief is Edmonton 100% should bribe the Kraken to take either Kassian or Koskinen off our books. My expectation is that we'll instead be buying Kassian out in a year.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786661 is a reply to message #786659 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 09:30

My belief is Edmonton 100% should bribe the Kraken to take either Kassian or Koskinen off our books. My expectation is that we'll instead be buying Kassian out in a year.

Smart management trick: make mistakes last as long as possible.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786683 is a reply to message #786659 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kassian is 3rd on the list imo. Behind Neal and Koskinen.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786704 is a reply to message #786683 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 10:57

I think Neal would be too expensive, plus his long Covid symptoms mean he's going on LTIR forever.

Kassian got all of 5 points this year. Massive misuse of cap dollars, and in my opinion, worse than Koskinen's deal.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786737 is a reply to message #786704 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 12:54

I think Neal would be too expensive, plus his long Covid symptoms mean he's going on LTIR forever.

Kassian got all of 5 points this year. Massive misuse of cap dollars, and in my opinion, worse than Koskinen's deal.

Arguably Koski can hurt you more when he's on the ice, and yes, Kassian had an abysmal year. Who would be easier to trade between Kass and Koski?

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786725 is a reply to message #786683 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Again, his deal is too long to buy out. We get to pay him forever then and it's a cap hit issue for years to come.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786738 is a reply to message #786725 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 13:59

Again, his deal is too long to buy out. We get to pay him forever then and it's a cap hit issue for years to come.

Good chance I'm way off, but I think there's still a useful player there, and he's in control of whether he's useful or not. There's no better days ahead for those other 2 contracts, not even potential. Acknowledged that the overpay as it sits right now is approaching $2 million.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786743 is a reply to message #786738 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 16:34

Good chance I'm way off, but I think there's still a useful player there, and he's in control of whether he's useful or not. There's no better days ahead for those other 2 contracts, not even potential. Acknowledged that the overpay as it sits right now is approaching $2 million.

It will not surprise me one bit if Koskinen upon being bought out is signed by another team and is serviceable in the role.

Neal, I think he's pretty much done. Some small chance that he gets picked up at league minimum by a team and plays a fourth line role. That's one of the reasons why I think it makes sense to medically "retire" him...He'll make more money that way, and he counts less against the cap.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786755 is a reply to message #786743 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 17:28

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 16:34

It will not surprise me one bit if Koskinen upon being bought out is signed by another team and is serviceable in the role.

Neal, I think he's pretty much done. Some small chance that he gets picked up at league minimum by a team and plays a fourth line role. That's one of the reasons why I think it makes sense to medically "retire" him...He'll make more money that way, and he counts less against the cap.

I fully endorse a Neal LTIR retirement.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786674 is a reply to message #786537 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer

The Edmonton Oilers will have cap space to improve the team but the summer of '21 will be tied to the summer of '22 as both Darnell Nurse and Jesse Puljujarvi are due for raises at that time.
After taking 2 bridge deals, Nurse emerged this season as a top pairing D (25:38 TOI)

Oh dang guys, guess we're gonna have to be pretty risk-averse in 21/22 as well because of cap space we need for 22/23. But THEN we should be able to make some noise, because for sure there will be no difficult cap decisions for 23/24.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786680 is a reply to message #786674 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 10:20

The Edmonton Oilers will have cap space to improve the team but the summer of '21 will be tied to the summer of '22 as both Darnell Nurse and Jesse Puljujarvi are due for raises at that time.
After taking 2 bridge deals, Nurse emerged this season as a top pairing D (25:38 TOI)

Oh dang guys, guess we're gonna have to be pretty risk-averse in 21/22 as well because of cap space we need for 22/23. But THEN we should be able to make some noise, because for sure there will be no difficult cap decisions for 23/24.

Look at Bob moderating the message at the behest of management!

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786681 is a reply to message #786680 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 10:35

Look at Bob moderating the message at the behest of management!

He's kind of an employee of the team so I don't mind him doing public relations. If you asked me, in an official capacity, about whatever my company does you better believe I'd be on message.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786684 is a reply to message #786674 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

This is such a garbage excuse, IMO. They can make it work if they are careful.

Current Nurse cap hit: $5.6
Archibald expiring contract: $1.50
TOTAL: $7.1 Million

Current Puljujarvi cap hit: $1.175
Mike Smith expiring contract: $2.5
Turris Expiring contract: $0.525 (the rest previously buried in Bakersfield)
TOTAL: $4.2 Million

And yes, this isn't perfect because they'll need to sign replacement players for Archibald, Smith, and others, and they need to sign others players like Bear and Jones. Maybe you promote one of your defensive prospects and save money on Russell / Kulikov / Koekkoek. McLeod the following year saves you money on someone like Kahun or another of the depth forwards. The point is, if they aren't stupid, and if they are signing their 7th defensemen, their 13th/14th forwards, and Mike Smith to 1-year deals instead of multi-year deals, there is money around the edges coming off the book that makes signing both of those players possible without greatly impacting the ability to aggressively pursue free agents this offseason. It's not the restriction they believe it to be.

And the following year (summer of 2023) they get the Lucic retention (0.750), the potential Koskinen buyout (1.5), the Sekera buyout (1.5), and the Neal contract (5.75) all off the books, so it's really just 22/23 that is the challenge in the long-term outlook.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2021 11:05]

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786923 is a reply to message #786537 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hey, did you guys know that Holland's son Brad Holland is one of our scouts now? :)

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/info/media-guide-19-20

page 28. Apparently he's the only guy allowed to wear a suit among our scouts.

Was looking for what our analytics team looked like. I guess it's just a guy, Justin Mahe (page 28 too, and page 4 kinda suggests it's a 1 man team)

[Updated on: Mon, 31 May 2021 14:10]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786927 is a reply to message #786923 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 13:46

Hey, did you guys know that Holland's son Brad Holland is one of our scouts now? :)

Was looking for what our analytics team looked like. I guess it's just a guy, Justin Mahe (page 28 too, and page 4 kinda suggests it's a 1 man team)

Good grief. Does every executive get a few free positions for family members and other nepotism? Is that part of the sales pitch when we're signing these guys up?

I'm pretty shocked Mike Chiarelli has managed to keep his job. I assumed most of these positions disappeared when the more famous relative gets canned.

EDIT: Also, that thing scared me. I saw Howson's photo in there and saw red. Then noticed afterwards that it's a 2019-2020 booklet, so it's before his departure to the AHL. I was worried he'd boomeranged again.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 May 2021 14:45]

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786930 is a reply to message #786927 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 14:34

Good grief. Does every executive get a few free positions for family members and other nepotism? Is that part of the sales pitch when we're signing these guys up?

I'm pretty shocked Mike Chiarelli has managed to keep his job. I assumed most of these positions disappeared when the more famous relative gets canned.

EDIT: Also, that thing scared me. I saw Howson's photo in there and saw red. Then noticed afterwards that it's a 2019-2020 booklet, so it's before his departure to the AHL. I was worried he'd boomeranged again.

WOW, do you guys need something to talk about. You are scoring a 2 yr old media guy for things to complain about?

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786931 is a reply to message #786930 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 14:47

WOW, do you guys need something to talk about. You are scoring a 2 yr old media guy for things to complain about?

Our pro scouting department is Messier's Bro, Holland's son and 1 other guy.

I'm sorry, i can't help it, this makes me slightly concerned that more Turris's are going to be joining us :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #786932 is a reply to message #786930 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 14:47

Some quick questions for you:

Do you think Brad Holland got his job because he is the best person for that critical role within the organization? Or because his dad is the GM?

What about Mike Chiarelli - best available person for the job?

Do you think in today's day and age, given the massive amount that most of the really good teams are spending on analytics, that a single person is an adequate amount of resources to devote to it for an NHL team?

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Connor McDavid Unanimously Wins the Hart Trophy
Next Topic:Oilers Take Taylor Hall #1
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca