This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Ken Holland Season Ending Press ConferencePages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787968 is a reply to message #787949 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 17 June 2021 17:19

Staples has an article calling out the Oilers pro scouting. Won't link it because I don't want to trigger anyone icon_lol

Anyways, he fails to mention in the article that 2/3 of our pro scouts are Holland's son and messier's bro. I think that would have been worth mentioning for such a critique.

It shouldn't make a bit of difference who the people are. It should come down to are they doing a good job or not. One can make the case that the pro scouting hasn't been great. Some hits, some misses but they could be better in my books.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 June 2021 10:21]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787969 is a reply to message #787968 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 10:18

Staples has an article calling out the Oilers pro scouting. Won't link it because I don't want to trigger anyone icon_lol

Anyways, he fails to mention in the article that 2/3 of our pro scouts are Holland's son and messier's bro. I think that would have been worth mentioning for such a critique.

It shouldn't make a bit of difference who the people are. It should come down to are they doing a good job or not. One can make the case that the pro scouting hasn't been great. Some hits, some misses but they could be better in my books.

Well, they’re bad at their jobs and it’s plausible they got them based solely on their last names. So it kind of matters who the people are.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787970 is a reply to message #787969 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 10:27

Well, they’re bad at their jobs and it’s plausible they got them based solely on their last names. So it kind of matters who the people are.

I'm sure lots of family members of high up people in the league are capable of doing a good job. But yeah, I don't think this org cares that much either way. It's the org that cares more about the names than abilities when they hire people.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787971 is a reply to message #787969 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

That could be but my point is, the goal should be to have the best people in place period. So in my opinion, it would be foolish of any organization to disqualify a person who's good at their job based on their name or association to someone in an organization.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787972 is a reply to message #787971 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 09:40

That could be but my point is, the goal should be to have the best people in place period. So in my opinion, it would be foolish of any organization to disqualify a person who's good at their job based on their name or association to someone in an organization.

What do you think is more likely?

1. The Oilers had a job search and decided that Keith Gretzky, Keegan Lowe, Michael Chiarelli, Brad Holland, and Paul Messier were the best people available?

2. The Oilers did not have a job search and hired Keith Gretzky, Keegan Lowe, Michael Chiarelli, Brad Holland, and Paul Messier out of favor.

Clean house or bust

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787973 is a reply to message #787972 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 11:07

1. The Oilers had a job search and decided that Keith Gretzky, Keegan Lowe, Michael Chiarelli, Brad Holland, and Paul Messier were the best people available?

2. The Oilers did not have a job search and hired Keith Gretzky, Keegan Lowe, Michael Chiarelli, Brad Holland, and Paul Messier out of favor.

Is there really a point in me even answering this question. You already have your mind made up to the answer you will accept so what's the point. I am not looking to get into another discussion about why the Oilers are the worst managed team in the world. I have heard it 1000's of times. I don't care who these people are or how they find them, just get good people.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787975 is a reply to message #787973 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 11:33

Is there really a point in me even answering this question. You already have your mind made up to the answer you will accept so what's the point. I am not looking to get into another discussion about why the Oilers are the worst managed team in the world. I have heard it 1000's of times. I don't care who these people are or how they find them, just get good people.

Probably easiest to just look at the results over the years.

Hmmm, checking....

Conclusion: No, they aren't making the effort to ensure they hire the best people.

Our drafting outisde the 1st round in the last decade+ would have be better by having zero amateur scouts and just going by the central scouting rankings.

Out pro scouting would be better by just using a dart board with names of available players.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 June 2021 12:07]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787977 is a reply to message #787975 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 12:04

Hmmm, checking....

Conclusion: No, they aren't making the effort to ensure they hire the best people.

Our drafting outisde the 1st round in the last decade+ would have be better by having zero amateur scouts and just going by the central scouting rankings.

Out pro scouting would be better by just using a dart board with names of available players.

Guess they are screwed then. All is lost. No point in even watching anymore so might be best to just stop watching and save the aggravation.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787978 is a reply to message #787977 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 12:41

Hmmm, checking....

Guess they are screwed then. All is lost. No point in even watching anymore so might be best to just stop watching and save the aggravation.

It's fun having things to complain about though :) And few things have been so reliable for being able to do that than this hockey team icon_wink

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787979 is a reply to message #787978 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 12:43

Hmmm, checking....

It's fun having things to complain about though :) And few things have been so reliable for being able to do that than this hockey team icon_wink

There you go. It will be interesting to see what the people who enjoy complaining about the Oilers 365 days a year will do if they ever win the cup. I am sure they will find something.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787980 is a reply to message #787979 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 12:46

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 12:43

Hmmm, checking....

There you go. It will be interesting to see what the people who enjoy complaining about the Oilers 365 days a year will do if they ever win the cup. I am sure they will find something.

I'm sure the complaining could shift to other things if we actually start to look like a contender.

In the mean time, the reasons to complain just keep on existing because of all the reasons we're not a contender even gifted with 2 of the best players in the world on our team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787983 is a reply to message #787980 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 15:49

In the mean time, the reasons to complain just keep on existing because of all the reasons we're not a contender even gifted with 2 of the best players in the world on our team.

Yeah - gifted those 2 with Hall, RNH, Eberle, Nurse, Yakupov (still valuable at the time) already on the team and STILL unable to to put together a team around them in 5 years is inexcusable. Those are the pieces that are hard/impossible to get. The rest of the roster, for people being paid millions to find these players, should be a fairly straightforward proposition.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787981 is a reply to message #787979 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 15:46

Would you believe me if I told you Adam used to be even more of a homer than you? I used to call him Pompoms. The team could do no wrong. And then they broke him.

There is hope for you yet icon_biggrin

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787984 is a reply to message #787981 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 13:12

Would you believe me if I told you Adam used to be even more of a homer than you? I used to call him Pompoms. The team could do no wrong. And then they broke him.

I am not a big fan of being called a homer or an apologist or whatever else I get called. I know you aren't trying to insult me, so please don't think I am upset. I am not.

But this is a sports team. I love the Oilers. They are by far my favorite team of all the sports. I follow them the most out of any of the sports I like to watch. I want the Oilers to win just as badly as everyone in here. When they lose, I hate it. But it's a sports team. If the Oilers never win a game again, I won't be happy, I will be pissed off but it's not life or death for me. My family will survive if the Oilers lose a game. So I do not see the point or value in my life to be overly negative about them because all it would do is ruin my mood. If a person wants too, they can go find something negative about every single thing out there. Life is too short to be miserable about something all the time.

So if people in here want to be negative and miserable about the Oilers all the time, have at it. But just because I choose not too be miserable about the Oilers 365 days a year doesn't mean I blindly accept what they do all the time. It's a sports team, it's not life or death.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787985 is a reply to message #787984 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 13:30

I am not a big fan of being called a homer or an apologist or whatever else I get called. I know you aren't trying to insult me, so please don't think I am upset. I am not.

But this is a sports team. I love the Oilers. They are by far my favorite team of all the sports. I follow them the most out of any of the sports I like to watch. I want the Oilers to win just as badly as everyone in here. When they lose, I hate it. But it's a sports team. If the Oilers never win a game again, I won't be happy, I will be pissed off but it's not life or death for me. My family will survive if the Oilers lose a game. So I do not see the point or value in my life to be overly negative about them because all it would do is ruin my mood. If a person wants too, they can go find something negative about every single thing out there. Life is too short to be miserable about something all the time.

So if people in here want to be negative and miserable about the Oilers all the time, have at it. But just because I choose not too be miserable about the Oilers 365 days a year doesn't mean I blindly accept what they do all the time. It's a sports team, it's not life or death.

Is it negative and miserable though to point out super obvious destructive patterns of a team you want badly to win? I think it's also comedic at this point because of how ridiculous it keeps being. It's like a cousin that keeps screwing up making the same mistakes no matter how many times his family tells them how to clean their act up. You still care for them, but there's a point where you're just going "oh...there's ____ being themself again!" and it's funny, unless they are seriously hurting themselves of course.

There are degrees of caring I suppose? There's the caring where you just so badly want to hope everything will work out you just ignore all the bad and make excuses for the failures on behalf of it. I guess that's fine, and maybe it's annoying when people point out that you're in a cycle of seeing failure and making excuses that the thing you're cheering for doesn't really deserve the benefit of.

Then there's caring there you can't help but to recognize all the mistakes being made and it annoys you, especially because you have zero control over fixing the problem. You have to find various ways to cope with having to witness the same mistakes over and over again, maybe laughing the stupidity of it, or venting about it with others that see the same issues, etc...

[Updated on: Fri, 18 June 2021 13:39]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787988 is a reply to message #787985 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 13:36

Is it negative and miserable though to point out super obvious destructive patterns of a team you want badly to win? I think it's also comedic at this point because of how ridiculous it keeps being. It's like a cousin that keeps screwing up making the same mistakes no matter how many times his family tells them how to clean their act up. You still care for them, but there's a point where you're just going "oh...there's ____ being themself again!" and it's funny, unless they are seriously hurting themselves of course.

There are degrees of caring I suppose? There's the caring where you just so badly want to hope everything will work out you just ignore all the bad and make excuses for the failures on behalf of it. I guess that's fine, and maybe it's annoying when people point out that you're in a cycle of seeing failure and making excuses that the thing you're cheering for doesn't really deserve the benefit of.

Then there's caring there you can't help but to recognize all the mistakes being made and it annoys you, especially because you have zero control over fixing the problem. You have to find various ways to cope with having to witness the same mistakes over and over again, maybe laughing the stupidity of it, or venting about it with others that see the same issues, etc...

Doesn't really matter what I say does it. I say I don't like when they lose, I don't like when they screw up, I don't like all the moves they make but because I don't just repeat the same "oilers suck" message that many of you do, that apparently means I am an apologist who just makes excuses for them.

Believe what you want.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787989 is a reply to message #787988 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 13:49

Doesn't really matter what I say does it. I say I don't like when they lose, I don't like when they screw up, I don't like all the moves they make but because I don't just repeat the same "oilers suck" message that many of you do, that apparently means I am an apologist who just makes excuses for them.

Believe what you want.

There is still lots of opportunity for conversation on this stuff. None of us are in the room. I couldn't blame you for accusing some people like me for being pessimistic by default on many things this org does, in this case hiring practices. I

personally think it's reasonable to argue that this org hasn't been that interested in hiring the best possible people to fix areas of obvious weakness based on years of poor results. Every new OBC friend that drops in ends up with another family member in departments that have completely let this org down for over a decade. We only can take notice of the ones with same last names too, who knows how many jobs are gifted to friends we've never heard of. In the end, our scouting sucks, and the org's employee chart keeps giving some low hanging fruit for guessing why.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #787991 is a reply to message #787989 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 14:03

Believe what you want.

There is still lots of opportunity for conversation on this stuff. None of us are in the room. I couldn't blame you for accusing some people like me for being pessimistic by default on many things this org does, in this case hiring practices. I

personally think it's reasonable to argue that this org hasn't been that interested in hiring the best possible people to fix areas of obvious weakness based on years of poor results. Every new OBC friend that drops in ends up with another family member in departments that have completely let this org down for over a decade. We only can take notice of the ones with same last names too, who knows how many jobs are gifted to friends we've never heard of. In the end, our scouting sucks, and the org's employee chart keeps giving some low hanging fruit for guessing why.

I totally agree with you 100%. This team for a long time has made lots of mistakes and they still make some mistakes. I personally think they are better than they were but are they where I think they need to be as an organization? No I don't. I think there is still more improvement need. But just because I don't feel the need to start ever conversation on every topic with Oilers suck or drag up whatever bad draft pick or trade or signing every time I post, doesn't mean I am an apologist making excuses for them or accept or are happy no matter what with everything they do.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788003 is a reply to message #787991 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 14:29

Believe what you want.

I totally agree with you 100%. This team for a long time has made lots of mistakes and they still make some mistakes. I personally think they are better than they were but are they where I think they need to be as an organization? No I don't. I think there is still more improvement need. But just because I don't feel the need to start ever conversation on every topic with Oilers suck or drag up whatever bad draft pick or trade or signing every time I post, doesn't mean I am an apologist making excuses for them or accept or are happy no matter what with everything they do.

Part of the reason I am vocal is because I think there is evidence that the team does respond to fan pressure. They do everything in their power to control and contain it, and we've seen them bend to it before. It's why they're so happy to throw guys like Chiarelli and Eakins under the bus after they're gone - it's all about trying to let steam off and focus people's anger elsewhere.

To me, that suggests that A) strong negative reactions from the fanbase to poor decision-making may eventually encourage them not to make that kind of decision again. And B) that passive blind acceptance of their flaws without questioning them - the attitude leading to statements like "maybe those really ARE the best guys from the job who all happen to be relatives or buddies of the guys in the power chairs" or "you're not a NHL GM, so you can't possibly understand how hard his job is", etc. etc. etc. actually actively hurts the team.

I think it's a mistake to believe that your passion is greater than anyone else's who spends their time coming to a forum dedicated to the Oilers - especially after the last couple decades, as I think there's significantly less die-hards now than there's been historically. There were a lot of people shaken loose in the late 80s and early 90s by the sell-off of all the dynasty players, but I think the team's attitude and acceptance of mediocrity in the last decade and a half is much worse and has cost the team more fans. People could at least understand in the 1990s that some of our issues were economic. Now, we have a relatively level playing field and with an owner willing to spend to the cap most years (other than, oddly, 2017-18), we have a leg up on a third of the league right from day one. There's no one who has a massive advantage over us economically now, and yet the team is bad because management has been really poor over a really long time.

You can see why that is frustrating for long-suffering Oilers fans who want to see a winner. It was frustrating when the team didn't have the money to compete. It was frustrating when it felt like we lacked the highest end players to compete - many called for a tank in order to get that kind of player with the thoughts that could give us the cornerstones to rebuild around.

Now, we have the cornerstones and the money and the team is still not competitive and rather than being laser-focused on how to become a contender, they spend much effort still trying to set expectations that we're still years away from a contender and we should think this is okay because, hey, it took Ovechkin and the Capitals 12 years to win a Cup (never mind that they were considered a contender for much of that time). I think a little outrage is pretty understandable, and that some outside pressure on the team to deliver a contender is badly needed. They should have a massive urgency - we came a whisker away from a career ending injury to McDavid already. That should show the team they can't waste seasons on "development years" and should mean that any time they turn to media allies to promote a story that the team isn't ready yet, it should be seen as a massive management failure.

I get it that some people prefer to just watch the team's moves uncritically and instead to just focus on complaining about player greed or about guys that they think have failed in their personal development. I think scapegoating departed players or coaches just enables the failing management though, and man, that group needs to be ridiculously good the next couple years if we're going to be where we should with the resources we have available to us.

I don't think hiring a bunch of brothers or kids of execs and former hockey players who've never done anything besides play hockey is likely to be the most successful route though.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788004 is a reply to message #788003 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Not to pick on you RDO, but I get the feeling you believe Adam is some “leader” of this forum and his sheep just follow him blindly. I can say with certainty that is not the case for many of us. My TSN turning point was the Ryan Smyth trade and the subsequent following years where we saw the team just fall apart and become the laughingstock of the league.

I want us to be good too. I hurt for a few hours after our season concludes, but life goes on. It’s not the be all, end all.

My sticking point is that I see this “professional” organization is run by old thinking and nepotism. I work in a similar organization and it fails there too. My two worlds are colliding. Both organizations are set up for success, but through sheer inept management both are terrible. I would love to see some shrewd low risk moves that are at worst break even moves. I have zero faith right now and until I see some sustained positive results I won’t be convinced otherwise. I have optimism, but it’s clouded with doubt. How could any reasonable fanatic supporter think different?

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788007 is a reply to message #788004 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 18:02

Not to pick on you RDO, but I get the feeling you believe Adam is some “leader” of this forum and his sheep just follow him blindly. I can say with certainty that is not the case for many of us. My TSN turning point was the Ryan Smyth trade and the subsequent following years where we saw the team just fall apart and become the laughingstock of the league.

I want us to be good too. I hurt for a few hours after our season concludes, but life goes on. It’s not the be all, end all.

My sticking point is that I see this “professional” organization is run by old thinking and nepotism. I work in a similar organization and it fails there too. My two worlds are colliding. Both organizations are set up for success, but through sheer inept management both are terrible. I would love to see some shrewd low risk moves that are at worst break even moves. I have zero faith right now and until I see some sustained positive results I won’t be convinced otherwise. I have optimism, but it’s clouded with doubt. How could any reasonable fanatic supporter think different?

Damn...here I thought I'd found my flock...SIGH.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788008 is a reply to message #788007 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 18:08

"I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader."

Creed (The Office)

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788020 is a reply to message #788007 ]
Sat, 19 June 2021 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 18:08

Need some merchandise first. I don’t jump all in until I know you have a New Jersey or tshirt I need.

And I’m not scared to spend the money.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788005 is a reply to message #788003 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 17:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 14:29

Believe what you want.

Part of the reason I am vocal is because I think there is evidence that the team does respond to fan pressure. They do everything in their power to control and contain it, and we've seen them bend to it before. It's why they're so happy to throw guys like Chiarelli and Eakins under the bus after they're gone - it's all about trying to let steam off and focus people's anger elsewhere.

To me, that suggests that A) strong negative reactions from the fanbase to poor decision-making may eventually encourage them not to make that kind of decision again. And B) that passive blind acceptance of their flaws without questioning them - the attitude leading to statements like "maybe those really ARE the best guys from the job who all happen to be relatives or buddies of the guys in the power chairs" or "you're not a NHL GM, so you can't possibly understand how hard his job is", etc. etc. etc. actually actively hurts the team.

I think it's a mistake to believe that your passion is greater than anyone else's who spends their time coming to a forum dedicated to the Oilers - especially after the last couple decades, as I think there's significantly less die-hards now than there's been historically. There were a lot of people shaken loose in the late 80s and early 90s by the sell-off of all the dynasty players, but I think the team's attitude and acceptance of mediocrity in the last decade and a half is much worse and has cost the team more fans. People could at least understand in the 1990s that some of our issues were economic. Now, we have a relatively level playing field and with an owner willing to spend to the cap most years (other than, oddly, 2017-18), we have a leg up on a third of the league right from day one. There's no one who has a massive advantage over us economically now, and yet the team is bad because management has been really poor over a really long time.

You can see why that is frustrating for long-suffering Oilers fans who want to see a winner. It was frustrating when the team didn't have the money to compete. It was frustrating when it felt like we lacked the highest end players to compete - many called for a tank in order to get that kind of player with the thoughts that could give us the cornerstones to rebuild around.

Now, we have the cornerstones and the money and the team is still not competitive and rather than being laser-focused on how to become a contender, they spend much effort still trying to set expectations that we're still years away from a contender and we should think this is okay because, hey, it took Ovechkin and the Capitals 12 years to win a Cup (never mind that they were considered a contender for much of that time). I think a little outrage is pretty understandable, and that some outside pressure on the team to deliver a contender is badly needed. They should have a massive urgency - we came a whisker away from a career ending injury to McDavid already. That should show the team they can't waste seasons on "development years" and should mean that any time they turn to media allies to promote a story that the team isn't ready yet, it should be seen as a massive management failure.

I get it that some people prefer to just watch the team's moves uncritically and instead to just focus on complaining about player greed or about guys that they think have failed in their personal development. I think scapegoating departed players or coaches just enables the failing management though, and man, that group needs to be ridiculously good the next couple years if we're going to be where we should with the resources we have available to us.

I don't think hiring a bunch of brothers or kids of execs and former hockey players who've never done anything besides play hockey is likely to be the most successful route though.

Man I wish the general fan pressure had more effect. They let Chia just sewer things until the entire league was laughing at us before firing him. Then they add Holland and just augment the org with more friends/family of his.

I think they still take the easy way out with the big firing to try to convince the season ticket holders that the needed change is coming, but much of the stuff out of sight has been pretty similar the whole way through.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788006 is a reply to message #788005 ]
Fri, 18 June 2021 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 June 2021 18:02

Man I wish the general fan pressure had more effect. They let Chia just sewer things until the entire league was laughing at us before firing him. Then they add Holland and just augment the org with more friends/family of his.

I think they still take the easy way out with the big firing to try to convince the season ticket holders that the needed change is coming, but much of the stuff out of sight has been pretty similar the whole way through.

I thought one of the first red flags with Holland was when he hired a bunch of people away from Detroit just after getting here. Yzerman didn't seem broken up to see them leave either...

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788250 is a reply to message #786537 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

"I've never heard a team spend this much time talking about what they can't do, instead of what they can. No creativity" - Steve Dangle on the Oilers

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788253 is a reply to message #788250 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 14:19

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

"I've never heard a team spend this much time talking about what they can't do, instead of what they can. No creativity" - Steve Dangle on the Oilers

So you want more AA for 2 2nd rounder type trades? :)

Until Holland is gone, I think the best you can hope for is draft miracles improving the team. He's terrible at trading. Was probably an inch away from giving up a couple 3rd rounders for Glendenning last deadline. Yzerman probably tried to go for the gusto upgrade one to a 2nd next year.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2021 14:27]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788255 is a reply to message #788253 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 14:24

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

Until Holland is gone, I think the best you can hope for is draft miracles improving the team. He's terrible at trading. Was probably an inch away from giving up a couple 3rd rounders for Glendenning last deadline. Yzerman probably tried to go for the gusto upgrade one to a 2nd next year.

I mean, honestly AA would have been one of our better depth forwards for scoring and a better use of cap than Turris was. I'm still not convinced the Oilers were right to not re-sign him.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788256 is a reply to message #788255 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 14:40

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

I mean, honestly AA would have been one of our better depth forwards for scoring and a better use of cap than Turris was. I'm still not convinced the Oilers were right to not re-sign him.

Hey, he disappointed in a short sample size. What other alternative was there? He's simply not a playoff performer. No jam. Not enough grit.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788257 is a reply to message #788255 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

Yep. I honestly do not know what we got or what we missed out on. That TDD was eff'd up. In any other non-pandemic year I make that trade again. Getting a 6'2 burner RFA fresh off of a 30 goal season was a win at the time. Unfortunately he suffered a very Oilers fate and we never got to see his abilities.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788258 is a reply to message #788255 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

Tough trading for guys that spent almost an entire season mailing it in. I think that's basically what we got, a guy that completely took his eye off the ball of what it takes to actually be competitive (by playing on a team that was tanking from game 1) and he never came close to getting it back. Still didn't in LA. Scored on his 3 first shots of the season by some bizarre hockey god trolling about how we dumped him, but then 7 goals in the next 44 games. Maybe that's still good by Oilers depth standards :) But I don't think Tippett was a fan either, may have ended up handled very similar to Turris.

Still think Yzerman owned us on that trade. Got us enamored with a 1 season wonder boy. Doubt there was that much of a bidding war for AA with the season he was having. The reason I was was optimistic about that trade was Holland knowing the player.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2021 15:02]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788259 is a reply to message #788258 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 14:59

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

Tough trading for guys that spent almost an entire season mailing it in. I think that's basically what we got, a guy that completely took his eye off the ball of what it takes to actually be competitive (by playing on a team that was tanking from game 1) and he never came close to getting it back. Still didn't in LA. Scored on his 3 first shots of the season by some bizarre hockey god trolling about how we dumped him, but then 7 goals in the next 44 games. Maybe that's still good by Oilers depth standards :) But I don't think Tippett was a fan either, may have ended up handled very similar to Turris.

Still think Yzerman owned us on that trade. Got us enamored with a 1 season wonder boy. Doubt there was that much of a bidding war for AA with the season he was having. The reason I was was optimistic about that trade was Holland knowing the player.

There's really not a lot of excuse for Holland with players like Athanasiou. He knew the player well. That is one of those trades where I question whether Tippett used him as Holland envisioned though.

The thing for me is that if he was someone you thought worth his qualifying offer when you made the trade - and the indication is that he was, because the Oilers talked about how they got not just a rental, but someone who'd stay under team control, then I don't think a 10-15 game sample size should change your mind.

It is possible though that it became clear Tippett wasn't interested in using him, so better to move on. That's an issue with the coach then though.

It does look like his big season was the anomaly though. Significantly higher shooting percentage and much greater shot generation that year than usual. Of course, his GM at the time should probably have understood if some of that was just luck, but when you don't trust analytics at all, it's easier to miss that sort of thing.

I do agree with Dangle though...the Oilers LOVE to talk about how they can't do more. They're forever setting the bar low. It drives me insane.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788260 is a reply to message #788259 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 15:11

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 14:59

Saw this on Twitter:

Quote:

There's really not a lot of excuse for Holland with players like Athanasiou. He knew the player well. That is one of those trades where I question whether Tippett used him as Holland envisioned though.

The thing for me is that if he was someone you thought worth his qualifying offer when you made the trade - and the indication is that he was, because the Oilers talked about how they got not just a rental, but someone who'd stay under team control, then I don't think a 10-15 game sample size should change your mind.

It is possible though that it became clear Tippett wasn't interested in using him, so better to move on. That's an issue with the coach then though.

It does look like his big season was the anomaly though. Significantly higher shooting percentage and much greater shot generation that year than usual. Of course, his GM at the time should probably have understood if some of that was just luck, but when you don't trust analytics at all, it's easier to miss that sort of thing.

I do agree with Dangle though...the Oilers LOVE to talk about how they can't do more. They're forever setting the bar low. It drives me insane.

I hope lots of people noticed how Stauffer and others couldn't stop talking about all the cap space we would have this summer to finally fix the team, mainly as an excuse for not trying to do much this year. Then, as soon as the season is over, everything shifts to how we don't have THAT much space all things considered and maybe we can't do much and gotta hope for prospects to pan out.

Just moving from one situation to the next, always with the excuses ready and little sales points about why it's OK to keep waiting.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788265 is a reply to message #788260 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 15:18

I hope lots of people noticed how Stauffer and others couldn't stop talking about all the cap space we would have this summer to finally fix the team, mainly as an excuse for not trying to do much this year. Then, as soon as the season is over, everything shifts to how we don't have THAT much space all things considered and maybe we can't do much and gotta hope for prospects to pan out.

Just moving from one situation to the next, always with the excuses ready and little sales points about why it's OK to keep waiting.

So which is the more likely future excuse:

1) You know, you can't really control when a player wants to move on. There's obviously a lot of disappointment on both sides, but we're really excited about the draft picks we picked up and the other guy we got, you know, he's coming off a down year but we think he can be a big part of this team in the future. We really think that's a bright future and the best is yet to come.

2) Yes, he's retiring as one of the best players of all-time, and it's a shame he never got a championship, but then a lot of great players never get a championship. I think Connor has to bear some of the responsibility for that. He just wasn't able to elevate his team. We really wish him all the best in his retirement and we're pretty excited about the team he's leaving behind. We're losing a great player, but we think that we have a bright future and the best is yet to come.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788290 is a reply to message #788265 ]
Fri, 25 June 2021 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Seeing the Habs in the Final, sure glad we didn't go for it this year.

Top 2 scorers in the NHL, likely consecutive Hart winners, including one of the greatest individual seasons of all time by someone who will go down as one of the best to ever play the game.

Top scoring Dman in the league. First time since Coffee in 86 iirc.

Probably the closest to a Norris trophy since Coffee in the 80s. Pronger was 7th in voting, thinking Darnell should be close to that.

Smith's .923 was the best save % ever on the Oilers over a season. His 2.31 GAA was 2nd to Tommy Salo's 2.22 in 2001-2002 in Oilers history. He's also likely to get some Vezina love, might be top 5. His 21-6-2 record was ridiculous.

If not this year - WHEN THE HELL is the right time to go for it? We didn't need a stud goalie. We didn't need a #1C, a true #1 dman, or even a PP specialist. WE needed very obtainable pieces. And now is the time to sell some future for some now...

Can't wait to hear more of the tempered expectations spewing out from these clowns' mouths.

I'm happy for my family members to get to see their team in the finals I suppose, but I am livid this morning knowing that this could easily have been us.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788295 is a reply to message #788290 ]
Fri, 25 June 2021 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Fri, 25 June 2021 05:44

Top 2 scorers in the NHL, likely consecutive Hart winners, including one of the greatest individual seasons of all time by someone who will go down as one of the best to ever play the game.

Probably the closest to a Norris trophy since Coffee in the 80s. Pronger was 7th in voting, thinking Darnell should be close to that.

Smith's .923 was the best save % ever on the Oilers over a season. His 2.31 GAA was 2nd to Tommy Salo's 2.22 in 2001-2002 in Oilers history. He's also likely to get some Vezina love, might be top 5. His 21-6-2 record was ridiculous.

If not this year - WHEN THE HELL is the right time to go for it? We didn't need a stud goalie. We didn't need a #1C, a true #1 dman, or even a PP specialist. WE needed very obtainable pieces. And now is the time to sell some future for some now...

Can't wait to hear more of the tempered expectations spewing out from these clowns' mouths.

I'm happy for my family members to get to see their team in the finals I suppose, but I am livid this morning knowing that this could easily have been us.

yep. Absolute waste. but nobody will lose their jobs (except maybe the coach from the sound of things lately).

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788299 is a reply to message #788295 ]
Fri, 25 June 2021 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 25 June 2021 09:39

yep. Absolute waste. but nobody will lose their jobs (except maybe the coach from the sound of things lately).

Hard to blame anyone still imo. Still trying to recover from Barry Fraser's bad drafting. These things take time

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788304 is a reply to message #788299 ]
Fri, 25 June 2021 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 June 2021 10:00

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 25 June 2021 09:39

Hard to blame anyone still imo. Still trying to recover from Barry Fraser's bad drafting. These things take time

What no one understands is that hockey is a cyclical game. You have your ups and your 30 year downs (except for a couple good months 15 years ago).

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788297 is a reply to message #788290 ]
Fri, 25 June 2021 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

We need to be patient and pay our dues. This is the cyclical nature of the game. Sometimes you need time to build a team to become a winner.

Don't be fooled by the fact that the Finals now include a team that was dead last among playoff participants, or that the team they beat didn't even exist when McDavid and Draisaitl were drafted. Or for that matter, that one of the other semi-finalists lost their superstar player and most of the hockey world was predicting a rebuild for them just three seasons ago. The only comparison you should do now, is the time from Stamkos draft year until his first Cup (that he played only a single game in) last year - it's much easier to look at that than, say, the fact that Kucherov has played 86 more playoff games than McDavid with only two extra seasons in the league.

Besides, we would definitely have been in the Finals by now if not for Tambellini and Eakins and Chiarelli and Pat Quinn and Sheldon Souray and Chris Pronger and Taylor Hall and...etc etc etc.

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788349 is a reply to message #788290 ]
Mon, 28 June 2021 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

As the Habs have went along and found a way to get to the finals, I have wondered myself about what could have been for the Oilers. As I watch the Habs play, and I see a team that is:
- Goaltending: They are getting all world goaltending. Price used to be the #1 goalie in the world, he's been a shadow of himself for serval years. Even this season he has .901 in 25 games. They rely heavily on Price to stand on his head most games and he has. Price hasn't played at this level in 4 or 5 yrs.
- They have a big, punishing, kind of dirty defense that with the way the game is called in the playoffs, especially this playoff, they are allowed to do whatever they want.
- They play hard but they also play extremely defensive.

I do not think how the Habs play works in the regular season because more penalties get called and that extremely rough style they are allowed to play isn't tolerated in the regular season. It was proved as if the Flames didn't totally implode, the Habs don't make it in.

So it begs the question, if the Oilers went for it what would they have had to do to beat the Habs and how they are allowed to play?

I watched the Habs bully around and nullify all the Leafs scorers. Schifele doing that stupid penalty didn't help but the Jets usually can score and the Habs bullied held them to 6 goals in 4 games. Then the Habs bullied and nullified Vegas who's supposed to be pretty deep and can score. I don't think Vegas's top 6 scored much if at all. So when I look at the Oilers roster and how the Habs are made up and how in the playoffs as along as penalties aren't called, the Habs can do their thing. Adding Hall to the Oilers I don't think would have done it.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 June 2021 09:31]

Re: Ken Holland Season Ending Press Conference [message #788350 is a reply to message #788349 ]
Mon, 28 June 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 28 June 2021 09:27

As the Habs have went along and found a way to get to the finals, I have wondered myself about what could have been for the Oilers. As I watch the Habs play, and I see a team that is:
- Goaltending: They are getting all world goaltending. Price used to be the #1 goalie in the world, he's been a shadow of himself for serval years. Even this season he has .901 in 25 games. They rely heavily on Price to stand on his head most games and he has. Price hasn't played at this level in 4 or 5 yrs.
- They have a big, punishing, kind of dirty defense that with the way the game is called in the playoffs, especially this playoff, they are allowed to do whatever they want.
- They play hard but they also play extremely defensive.

I do not think how the Habs play works in the regular season because more penalties get called and that extremely rough style they are allowed to play isn't tolerated in the regular season. It was proved as if the Flames didn't totally implode, the Habs don't make it in.

So it begs the question, if the Oilers went for it what would they have had to do to beat the Habs and how they are allowed to play?

Same as always. Better depth players, better defensive defensemen, and better goaltending. Although goaltending was really good this year. These are the problems we've been talking about for a decade now. I'd also consider doing some regular season load management with McDavid and Drai, but don't tell anyone that.

I think the Habs didn't work in the regular season this year because of injuries. They looked really good for the first few weeks and again right at the end of the season.

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Connor McDavid Unanimously Wins the Hart Trophy
Next Topic:Oilers Take Taylor Hall #1
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca