This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784163]
Mon, 03 May 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Vancouver to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784164 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Kinda got scary at the end, but the boys did it

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784165 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Just like that, we're clinched.

And 3 points from clinching 2nd place too. 1st looking pretty unlikely unfortunately, but 9 points to 100 now!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784166 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

X-Edmonton

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784168 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Connor with 4 tonight, they play this team the next 3 games. I laughed when dumba$$ Van host Dan Murphy asked Connor if he or Matthews should win the Hart....I mean WTH....thats not even a conversation anymore let alone asked of the defacto Hart winner. Good grief. I would giggle if Connor rattled off 10 or 11 goals in his final 6 and TO's hero stalled at 39.

A lesser team as opponents but I liked that 97 and 29 didn't have to play 25 min each tonight. 2nd line played pretty well. Wpg dropping like a rock, hope they do just enough to finish 3rd.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2021 22:59]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784188 is a reply to message #784168 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 22:54

I laughed when dumba$$ Van host Dan Murphy asked Connor if he or Matthews should win the Hart....I mean WTH....thats not even a conversation anymore let alone asked of the defacto Hart winner. Good grief.

I've mocked a lot of the terrible questions that Edmonton media guys have asked this year, but that's right up there amongst the worst of them. What exactly is Murphy hoping to hear back from McDavid there? It's a shame McDavid didn't just respond with "why, do you need help with your ballot?"

Remember this question for when the votes are finally announced. It'll be interesting to see how Mr. Murphy did vote.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784192 is a reply to message #784188 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 09:21

I laughed when dumba$$ Van host Dan Murphy asked Connor if he or Matthews should win the Hart....I mean WTH....thats not even a conversation anymore let alone asked of the defacto Hart winner. Good grief.

I've mocked a lot of the terrible questions that Edmonton media guys have asked this year, but that's right up there amongst the worst of them. What exactly is Murphy hoping to hear back from McDavid there? It's a shame McDavid didn't just respond with "why, do you need help with your ballot?"

Remember this question for when the votes are finally announced. It'll be interesting to see how Mr. Murphy did vote.

Matthews is a great player having himself a really great season. He has 39 goals, 63 pts, +21 in 48 games. That's a 108 pt season in 82 games.

McDavid has 31 goals, 91 pts, +26 in 50 games. He leads the entire league in scoring by 18 pts. He's got 60 assists so almost as many assists as Matthews has points. He's on pace for 149 pts in 82 games.

Oilers are second in the West behind the Leafs but the Leafs got 6 Bettman points vs the Oilers 2. So it's not like they are running away from the Oilers and since an OT loss is still a loss, both teams have the same amount of losses at 19 total. I am an Oilers fans so I am of course bias but the numbers clearly show McD is destroying the entire league in points and his team is really good so why is this a question?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784193 is a reply to message #784192 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 09:33

Matthews is a great player having himself a really great season. He has 39 goals, 63 pts, +21 in 48 games. That's a 108 pt season in 82 games.

McDavid has 31 goals, 91 pts, +26 in 50 games. He leads the entire league in scoring by 18 pts. He's got 60 assists so almost as many assists as Matthews has points. He's on pace for 149 pts in 82 games.

Oilers are second in the West behind the Leafs but the Leafs got 6 Bettman points vs the Oilers 2. So it's not like they are running away from the Oilers and since an OT loss is still a loss, both teams have the same amount of losses at 19 total. I am an Oilers fans so I am of course bias but the numbers clearly show McD is destroying the entire league in points and his team is really good so why is this a question?

Think it is just because giving McDavid the credit he deserves is boring. People need to figure out ways to not do the obvious. Lands you in places like Kane or Matthews for the Hart.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784194 is a reply to message #784193 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 09:45

Think it is just because giving McDavid the credit he deserves is boring. People need to figure out ways to not do the obvious. Lands you in places like Kane or Matthews for the Hart.

I guarantee that we see a handful of first place votes for Matthews. Possibly McKinnon, Kane and others too.

That's people tying themselves in knots to redefine what MVP means. The stat they showed last night says it all - McDavid with the second highest percent involvement on his team's scoring ever. The Oilers are in the playoffs, so can't use that against him.

It's ridiculous that he has a 26 point lead over the closest non-teammate player in the league. He's almost lapping the pack.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784195 is a reply to message #784193 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 12:45

They're really itching to get Matthews a Hart. I can't see it happening this year as the chasm is simply too much. Should really be unanimous 1st place votes for McDavid, though I'm sure there will be a couple of donkeys that will have that need to be edgy and give it to someone else. But if ever it's at least a little bit close (McDavid wins scoring title by less than 15), you just know they will toss it to Generational Matthews

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784200 is a reply to message #784195 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 09:52

They're really itching to get Matthews a Hart. I can't see it happening this year as the chasm is simply too much. Should really be unanimous 1st place votes for McDavid, though I'm sure there will be a couple of donkeys that will have that need to be edgy and give it to someone else. But if ever it's at least a little bit close (McDavid wins scoring title by less than 15), you just know they will toss it to Generational Matthews

I think one of the problems with having sportswriters give out an award, especially nowadays, when it's hard to become prominent without taking outrageous positions to drive clicks, is that they love controversy. It gives them something to talk about.

I think everyone hoped that it would curb the ridiculous votes when they became public, but I think actually some of the writers are just happy to get to write the article defending their inane picks because people, outraged, are more likely to click on it and find out why they're such an idiot.

I do think the idea of giving the same guy the award year after year just sticks in the craw of today's sports writers, so you have Crosby only winning it twice in his entire career - despite being pretty dominant. McDavid will tie him this year, and be only one behind Orr, Lemieux, Morenz and Bobby Clarke (?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784203 is a reply to message #784200 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Maybe this was always so:

Here's the 1975 award.
https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-1975.html#all -hart-stats

Clarke has a very good season, scoring 116 points. But...

Bobby Orr won the Art Ross with 135 points that season - he was 3rd in voting. Phil Esposito had 127 points - he didn't make the ballot. Marcel Dionne has 121 with Detroit - he was 8th. Guy Lafleur has 119 points in only 70 games - that was good enough to get him 5th in voting. Pete Mahovlich has 117 points - he also didn't make the ballot.

Three goalies got votes - Vachon was 2nd, Parent was 4th, and Gary Smith of Vancouver was in 6th ahead of Denis Potvin (76 points) and Dionne. Somehow, Rick Dudley (70 points) and Bob Nevin (72 points) both got 5 votes.

Clearly people are out-thinking themselves on this. Bobby Orr's 135 points is the third highest point total for a defenceman ever. When it happened, it was 2nd, behind only Orr's 1970-71 total. It was his 6th straight 100+ point season though, and they'd already gave him three Harts, so I think they wanted to give it to someone else, and Clarke got the Jonathan Toews over-valuation, because of his intensity. It was a good story - but come on. Bobby Orr should have won that trophy.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784272 is a reply to message #784195 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I don't see how Matthews ever wins a Hart unless there are like 3-5 prominent major injuries simultaneously in the league. I can think of at least 3-5 guys immediately I wouldn't trade for him straight up, everything being equal and if I'm thinking about it more, there are probably more. He's an elite finisher, but that takes up most of what he has to offer, and will win some Richard's but that's pretty much it. No Art Rosses, No Lindsays, No Harts, my guess is no Conn Smythes. More of a guy that hits taters with no one on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784273 is a reply to message #784272 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 17:41

I don't see how Matthews ever wins a Hart unless there are like 3-5 prominent major injuries simultaneously in the league. I can think of at least 3-5 guys immediately I wouldn't trade for him straight up, everything being equal and if I'm thinking about it more, there are probably more. He's an elite finisher, but that takes up most of what he has to offer, and will win some Richard's but that's pretty much it. No Art Rosses, No Lindsays, No Harts, my guess is no Conn Smythes. More of a guy that hits taters with no one on.

Would you change your mind if I told you he's been dealing with a wrist injury? Just throwing that out there, like the leafs do now and then. What we're trying to say is Matthews probably would have 50+ this season if not for the supposed wrist injury, so please rate him as if he scored 50+.

Wrist injury

(wrist injury)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784288 is a reply to message #784273 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 17:46

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 17:41

Would you change your mind if I told you he's been dealing with a wrist injury? Just throwing that out there, like the leafs do now and then. What we're trying to say is Matthews probably would have 50+ this season if not for the supposed wrist injury, so please rate him as if he scored 50+.

Wrist injury

(wrist injury)

I wouldn't but I'm sure some would.😂

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784169 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Clinched!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784170 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Very nice! Off to the playoffs. 100 McPoints may happen, but either way, Connor has dominated the league this year.

Winnipeg needs to start winning some games here. I don't want to face the Habs in the first round.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784173 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Mon, 03 May 2021 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

McLeod looks great, good puck carrier, drives a line, usually on the right side of the puck, except for that one goal, which was a bit of a fubar with Barrie out-of-picture and everyone lost their man.. looks effective on the PK, good wheels to cover the point men, excellent signs so far.. love to see him pot a goal.

Nuge looked way more engaged at center, although it could just be Vancouver, but he looked more effective.

Yamo played well, created some turnovers.. test will be against bigger, harder checking teams.

Ennis didn't help himself.. coughed up the puck a few times.. too many fly-bys

Poolie getting better every game.. having him on Draisatl and McDavid's line is really accelerating his learning curve, going to right spots, finishing..

Neal actually was getting to some pucks tonight, and created some chances. His stride is so limited, needs to get on the hot-yoga (or equivalent) in the off season, gain some flexibility, stride length, he just lacks a step to be competitive, still has the hands and smarts.

I'm lovin' Larsson right now, skating better, human eraser.

McDavid.. Extraterrestrial.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2021 23:40]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784185 is a reply to message #784173 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 03 May 2021 23:37

McLeod looks great, good puck carrier, drives a line, usually on the right side of the puck, except for that one goal, which was a bit of a fubar with Barrie out-of-picture and everyone lost their man.. looks effective on the PK, good wheels to cover the point men, excellent signs so far.. love to see him pot a goal.

Nuge looked way more engaged at center, although it could just be Vancouver, but he looked more effective.

Yamo played well, created some turnovers.. test will be against bigger, harder checking teams.

Ennis didn't help himself.. coughed up the puck a few times.. too many fly-bys

Poolie getting better every game.. having him on Draisatl and McDavid's line is really accelerating his learning curve, going to right spots, finishing..

Neal actually was getting to some pucks tonight, and created some chances. His stride is so limited, needs to get on the hot-yoga (or equivalent) in the off season, gain some flexibility, stride length, he just lacks a step to be competitive, still has the hands and smarts.

I'm lovin' Larsson right now, skating better, human eraser.

McDavid.. Extraterrestrial.

I am liking McLeod a lot. He's going to get one pretty soon. I think he's a lock to be in the playoffs.

I think that was Nuge's best game of the year. He was pretty engaged. I hope it continues.

I thought Kulikov has been pretty decent since coming but he was really good last night. The Kulikov Larsson pairing I think is good. I think Kulikov skates and moves the puck pretty well to not be an issue with Larsson. When that pairing is out there, generally nothing happens for the opposition.

I think Neal will be fine in the playoffs when the game slows down and it becomes more of a grind but he's a step behind right now.

I thought Kahun was good last night. I sure wish he could do that consistently.

Jones is struggling AGAIN and it's puzzling why. He was playing pretty well for a while and now back to being not great the last few games.

I thought Koskinen was pretty solid. The Canucks 3 were pretty good looks.

I thought the score flattered the Canucks as they didn't do much at all for long stretches.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784180 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Just happy to clinch a playoff berth, and it's not something I'm use to at all - but to not do it in the penultimate game of the year also feels weird/great.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784183 is a reply to message #784180 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Cheers to that! 🍺*🍺

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784250 is a reply to message #784163 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Nuge line looked great, but I think they may be too
small against a heavier team, but they were buzzing.

McLeod is due. He’s getting close to tucking one in. He just needs to do the things that got him here. He looks off the puck when he gets in tight.

McDavid carried us into the playoffs. Love this man. Ticket punched. Montreal? Toronto? Winnipeg? When 97 is flying like this, this team can beat anyone.

Let’s make some playoff noise!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784257 is a reply to message #784250 ]
Tue, 04 May 2021 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 14:31

McLeod is due. He’s getting close to tucking one in. He just needs to do the things that got him here. He looks off the puck when he gets in tight.

McDavid carried us into the playoffs. Love this man. Ticket punched. Montreal? Toronto? Winnipeg? When 97 is flying like this, this team can beat anyone.

Fortunately, not a lot of heavier teams to play here. Montreal played us hard, but they're not huge. Toronto isn't either.

The thing I'm interested to see this year in the playoffs is how Tippett adjusts to deal with the strategies others employ to shut down McDavid.

McLellan really failed at that against the Ducks in 2017 - but McDavid is probably harder to stop this time around too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784364 is a reply to message #784257 ]
Wed, 05 May 2021 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

calling it - McDavid will get a 3 game suspension for a high elbow in game 1. He does have a history of suspension you know.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784365 is a reply to message #784257 ]
Wed, 05 May 2021 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 15:34

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 14:31

Fortunately, not a lot of heavier teams to play here. Montreal played us hard, but they're not huge. Toronto isn't either.

The thing I'm interested to see this year in the playoffs is how Tippett adjusts to deal with the strategies others employ to shut down McDavid.

McLellan really failed at that against the Ducks in 2017 - but McDavid is probably harder to stop this time around too.

I have been trying to spin a positive narrative regarding Tippett's line management. He is not scared to double down with a McDrai line from time to time. He has went back to the DRY line a few times in recent history. He infuses 97 and 29 on the 4th line once in a while. McDavid and Draisaitl have experience playing with the majority of the lineup.

In theory, Tippett should be able to have a multitude of in game management strategies to free up his star players. Can the coach pratically apply the theory in-game?

I would say no at this time based on the past, but he has shown the capability to think outside the box. Here is hoping Tippett's game management steps up it's game for the playoffs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #54) [message #784380 is a reply to message #784250 ]
Wed, 05 May 2021 13:28 Go to previous message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2021 13:31

small against a heavier team
, but they were buzzing.

This is my fear, they are playing a 40% AHL team, I feel those 3 will have problems going against heavy bodies, at both ends of the rink, Kahun especially, at least Yamo and RNH have decent speed, and Yamo has tenacity beyond his size, but physics is physics. Kahun irritates me for some reason, doesn't really accomplish anything shift to shift, one guy I'm hoping is replaced on the roster by next year.

I'll be interested to watch when we play Montreal at the end of the season, it will be a better test on what is real, or not.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #41)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #41)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca