This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772841]
Wed, 20 January 2021 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Toronto to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2020-21 Regular Season
Wednesday, January 20, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Toronto 1Win
Friday, January 22, 2021Edmonton 2 @ Toronto 4Loss
Thursday, January 28, 2021Toronto 4 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Saturday, January 30, 2021Toronto 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Win
Saturday, February 27, 2021Toronto 4 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Monday, March 1, 2021Toronto 3 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Wednesday, March 3, 2021Toronto 6 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Saturday, March 27, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Toronto 4 (OT)Loss
Monday, March 29, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Toronto 2 (OT)Win
Home Record: 1-4-0       Road Record: 2-1-1       Overall Record: 3-5-1
Home / Road Goals For: 8/11 Total: 19
Home / Road Goals Against: 20/11 Total: 31

2019-20 Regular Season
Saturday, December 14, 2019Toronto 4 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Monday, January 6, 2020Edmonton 6 @ Toronto 4Win
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/6 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/4 Total: 8

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772843 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Need a much better effort all around tonight, otherwise this one has the potential to get very ugly very quickly.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772846 is a reply to message #772843 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have no clue what team shows up. I was totally convinced in the second game vs the Habs, the Oilers would come out flying but the team laid a complete egg including McD. I'd like to think McD and the rest against Toronto come out guns a blazing but there is no one in the stands so they seem to struggle to get up for games when no one is watching.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772847 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

The problem with this Canadian Division is that the majority of my non-Oiler fan friends cheer for one of the other Canadian teams.

So these losses sting and hurt a bit more.

Going to be a looong season.

Bring back the Dynamite Line.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772848 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Given the defense has been pretty awful overall I think it is time to give Bouchard a try. I know it has only been 4 games but it isnt like most of our guys are about to turn a corner. The Oilers have 9 D on the roster and only Bouchard hasnt played a game. 5 of the 9 are what they are and it clearly isnt enough. 3 (Bear, Jones, and Lagesson) have hope for improvement. 2 of those were recently scratched and the 3rd had a decent game. That leaves Bouchard as the only option currently on the roster who gives me much hope to elevate the group in any meaningful way

I am willing to bet he is instantly out bet puck mover, something that has been terrible through 4 games.
While he is overly physical he is bigger than most and for a team with no heart and soul maybe he could bring some extra physicality.
I have only read and not really seen enough to speak on how his defensive game has evolved. I cant imagine it is horrible enough to bring down the squad now given how bad they have been.

It also isnt like he has been rushed. He is in his +3 year having a full year of AHL experience and 20+ games in Swedan. Every D drafted ahead of him and many others after from that draft are logging regular minutes and I cant see why he shouldn't be given a chance.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772849 is a reply to message #772848 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'm hoping that Neal is ready to go as I think they could really use him on the PP. Chiasson just doesn't have the finish like Neal and he's been set up a lot. I hope they come out flying and on the PP, shoot the damn puck.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2021 11:18]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772851 is a reply to message #772849 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:07

I'm hoping that Neal is ready to do as I think they could really use him on the PP. Chiasson just doesn't have the finish like Neal and he's been set up a lot. I hope they come out flying and on the PP, shoot the damn puck.

I agree, Much like with my comments on Bouchard it isnt because I think Neal is a savior but he surely cant be worse than what has been happening and it isnt like Chiasson is about to turn a corner.

This team cant keep trotting out the same guys and expect improvements. If Neal isnt ready I would give JP the net front spot for a time.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772866 is a reply to message #772851 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 08:13

I'm hoping that Neal is ready to do as I think they could really use him on the PP. Chiasson just doesn't have the finish like Neal and he's been set up a lot. I hope they come out flying and on the PP, shoot the damn puck.

I agree, Much like with my comments on Bouchard it isnt because I think Neal is a savior but he surely cant be worse than what has been happening and it isnt like Chiasson is about to turn a corner.

This team cant keep trotting out the same guys and expect improvements. If Neal isnt ready I would give JP the net front spot for a time.

I might even give Yamo a look there. Not a big dude, but he's tenacious and seems to be able to finish in close.

No doubt the other teams in the division have taken note of Montreal killing 7 PP's vs Edm the other night and will all be looking to duplicate. The Oilers are going to need to try something different. Scoring 5v5 for example.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772931 is a reply to message #772866 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

jds308 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:55

I might even give Yamo a look there. Not a big dude, but he's tenacious and seems to be able to finish in close.

No doubt the other teams in the division have taken note of Montreal killing 7 PP's vs Edm the other night and will all be looking to duplicate. The Oilers are going to need to try something different. Scoring 5v5 for example.

Good idea.
I am always looking for a bigger body in front of the net. Always tougher for a goalie to find the puck if the PP is moving it well.
Putting that aside I would love to see Yamo given a shot. You are spot on with his style of play suiting that spot. I would add he might even draw some penalties as D-men seem to love crosschecking him out of the way and it looks bad when he is giving up 50 pounds

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #773001 is a reply to message #772931 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 17:56

jds308 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:55

Good idea.
I am always looking for a bigger body in front of the net. Always tougher for a goalie to find the puck if the PP is moving it well.
Putting that aside I would love to see Yamo given a shot. You are spot on with his style of play suiting that spot. I would add he might even draw some penalties as D-men seem to love crosschecking him out of the way and it looks bad when he is giving up 50 pounds

I think the mistake teams make is thinking that it's JUST the size that matters there though. The Oilers did that with Lucic, but the guy had maybe 3 tips in his entire time here and had a tonne of trouble corralling rebounds too. On the rare occasions he did score PPGs it was usually the short cross-crease pass that he tapped in.

The net front guy should be able to tip the puck though and needs to be able to battle and win rebounds. Horcoff did really well at picking up rebounds and cashing them in when he was playing PP in the Quinn/Renney/Krueger years. He wasn't a huge guy, much smaller than Lucic, but also much more impactful there.

Besides, the Oilers powerplay didn't really rely much on the screen last year but rather quick puck movement and one-timers. They were generally keeping the goalie moving. That's not to say they never had screens, but Draisaitl had 16 PPG to Klefbom's two and without going back and looking at tape, I'd hazard a guess there wasn't much of a screen on the majority of Draisaitl's goals.

In short, I think Yamamoto has the tenacity that he can play that role, even if he's a pretty small guy. I wouldn't mind seeing Puljujarvi there either if you want a big guy (although I don't know if he's great at fielding rebounds because I haven't seen him in that spot much).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772876 is a reply to message #772848 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 08:41

Given the defense has been pretty awful overall I think it is time to give Bouchard a try. I know it has only been 4 games but it isnt like most of our guys are about to turn a corner. The Oilers have 9 D on the roster and only Bouchard hasnt played a game. 5 of the 9 are what they are and it clearly isnt enough. 3 (Bear, Jones, and Lagesson) have hope for improvement. 2 of those were recently scratched and the 3rd had a decent game. That leaves Bouchard as the only option currently on the roster who gives me much hope to elevate the group in any meaningful way

I am willing to bet he is instantly out bet puck mover, something that has been terrible through 4 games.
While he is overly physical he is bigger than most and for a team with no heart and soul maybe he could bring some extra physicality.
I have only read and not really seen enough to speak on how his defensive game has evolved. I cant imagine it is horrible enough to bring down the squad now given how bad they have been.

It also isnt like he has been rushed. He is in his +3 year having a full year of AHL experience and 20+ games in Swedan. Every D drafted ahead of him and many others after from that draft are logging regular minutes and I cant see why he shouldn't be given a chance.

Not only that, but we just can't sit him in the pressbox all season on the practice squad. That's only going to hurt his development. He needs to play, so if he's the #9 guy and he's going to sit all season, then he should be in the AHL and call up some other schlub to take his place.

Either he's ready and he should be playing at least every other game, or he needs to go to the AHL and play big minutes there again. Given his age, I start to worry about it if he isn't ready here pretty soon though.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772934 is a reply to message #772876 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:17

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 08:41

Not only that, but we just can't sit him in the pressbox all season on the practice squad. That's only going to hurt his development. He needs to play, so if he's the #9 guy and he's going to sit all season, then he should be in the AHL and call up some other schlub to take his place.

Either he's ready and he should be playing at least every other game, or he needs to go to the AHL and play big minutes there again. Given his age, I start to worry about it if he isn't ready here pretty soon though.

Excellent point. I would think if he isnt playing, and he isnt in the plans, by the start of Feb he will be sent to the AHL when it starts.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772854 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Moral Victory threshold = 2 goals behind or better

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772855 is a reply to message #772854 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 09:18

I'd like to think the Oilers aren't at the moral victory point of the season... we just have to hope they come out an look visually better.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772858 is a reply to message #772855 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 09:24

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 09:18

I'd like to think the Oilers aren't at the moral victory point of the season... we just have to hope they come out an look visually better.

I would definitely be on board to consider losing by no more than 2 against the Leafs as visual betterness.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772862 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Maybe a little roady will do these sloths some good.

Show some emotion and urgency. Get pucks deep, bodies to the net, get after it.

8.93% of the season gone after tonight... won’t make the playoffs in January but holy smokes these guys are building quite the molehill.

The combined ages of Joe Thornton, Austin Matthews and Mitch Marner is 87... divided by 3 is 29. Leon is gonna be a bull tonight.

Oilers are facing a Stuart Skinner 5.0 on the Must Win Gasm’ tracker tonight.

Gasm’s Oilers First Goal of the Game Contest: Leon Draisaitl.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772865 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Expected lines per the media sloths;

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Nygard-Turris-Puljujarvi
Archibald-Shore-Chiasson

Nurse-Bear
Russell-Barrie
Koekkoek-Larsson

Koskinen

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772879 is a reply to message #772865 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 09:54

Expected lines per the media sloths;

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Nygard-Turris-Puljujarvi
Archibald-Shore-Chiasson

Nurse-Bear
Russell-Barrie
Koekkoek-Larsson

Koskinen

I would have stuck with those lines as well. How do you know if a line is working or not when the team plays like a pile of crap for 2 games with the effort not being there. McD can typically put up points with nothing more than a empty chair as his winger but it doesn't matter who's on his wing if he plays like he was the last 2 games.

I'd really like to see some continuity on the 3rd line. Some people are crushing the 3rd line for lack of possession but look at the line. Brand new center who is just learning the system without preseason. On top of that he's learning 2 new wingers with no preseason and they have been switching out left wingers on him. His right winger is a young player just finding his way again who has played 4 games total of North American hockey in 23 months. JP has been looking better but still the NA game is WAY different than European hockey, even the rink isn't the same size. The level of skill, speed and size of the NHL guys is WAY higher than anyone JP would have played against in the last 23 months. It's goign to take him time to adjust and again, usually the preseason is the time when you get all your adjusting under your belt which they didn't get.

Turris needs to be better but he's got way more going against him than McD or Leon do.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772869 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Predict a win tonight.. NEW (old) pucks!
Quote:

NEW YORK (Jan. 19, 2021) – The National Hockey League announced today that, effective with tonight’s games,the League will be using game pucks without the imbedded tracking technology. The decision was made after concerns were raised about the puck’s performance during the first few days of the 2020-21 season. A review by the League determined that the first supply of 2020-21 pucks did not receive the same precise finishing treatments during the off-season manufacturing process as were used during the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs. It is expected that a new supply of the League’s “tracking pucks” will be available soon and, after undergoing appropriate quality control testing, will be back in use for all games. In the interim, the League will use the official game pucks from the 2019-20 season and will continue to utilize Player tracking technology for all games.

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1351643248348045315/photo/ 1

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2021 10:14]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772870 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /edmonton-oilers-fans-super-keen-to-see-dynamite-line-reunit ed-leon-draisaitl-kailer-yamamoto-ryan-nugent-hopkins

The more noise of wanting the Dynamite Line back together I feel the less we will see it from Tippett.

Obviously there are more problems with the current team it’s just the whole just ending the line without a string of bad games. We’ve already had 4 bad games from most of the forward lines.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772871 is a reply to message #772870 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 09:13

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /edmonton-oilers-fans-super-keen-to-see-dynamite-line-reunit ed-leon-draisaitl-kailer-yamamoto-ryan-nugent-hopkins

The more noise of wanting the Dynamite Line back together I feel the less we will see it from Tippett.

Obviously there are more problems with the current team it’s just the whole just ending the line without a string of bad games. We’ve already had 4 bad games from most of the forward lines.

I think the two real drivers on the DRY line were LD and KY, RNH was along for the ride.. I see the logic in putting RNH up with McD to help his line, but RNH is not a driver, and niether is Kassian 2.0, McD is working alone out there.. I think Ennis or Nygard are closest guys to Yamo skill-wise, tenacity and speed. I'd replace Kassian 2.0 with Pulju once JP gets a few more NHL games under his belt. Eventual combo for McD might be Ennis/Nygard McD Pulju. Move RNH to #3C, Turris to #4C

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772883 is a reply to message #772871 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:32

I think the two real drivers on the DRY line were LD and KY, RNH was along for the ride.. I see the logic in putting RNH up with McD to help his line, but RNH is not a driver, and niether is Kassian 2.0, McD is working alone out there.. I think Ennis or Nygard are closest guys to Yamo skill-wise, tenacity and speed. I'd replace Kassian 2.0 with Pulju once JP gets a few more NHL games under his belt. Eventual combo for McD might be Ennis/Nygard McD Pulju. Move RNH to #3C, Turris to #4C

Definitely aqree about the drivers on that 2nd line. Nuge value is mainly as a shooter 5v5. Not a very good 5v5 playmaker and weak on the boards. He needs his linemates to do all the grinding and winning battles to maintain a cycle.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772884 is a reply to message #772883 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:46

Definitely aqree about the drivers on that 2nd line. Nuge value is mainly as a shooter 5v5. Not a very good 5v5 playmaker and weak on the boards. He needs his linemates to do all the grinding and winning battles to maintain a cycle.

Yet his representation is wanting 7+ mil? confused2

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772887 is a reply to message #772884 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 11:51

Woah woah woah guys. Is it even allowed to say anything negative towards Nuge? The guy damn near walks on water according to some Oilers fans.
The whole ask from the Nuge camp for more than 7 mill is pretty laughable to me. He's a good player and maybe there is a team out who would give him more than 7 but I think if that happens, they will be pretty disappointed. I'm not saying he would be a bad player for any team, I just think he wouldn't give a different enough to justify his salary if it comes in that high. I have said it many times in here and on other sites, I think he's been slightly overpaid for the bulk of his contract given prior to being out with McD or Leon, he's a 50 pt player. So giving him something with a 6 in front of it, is more than fair.

The coming months are going to be real interesting with Nuge. Is he truly the team first guy that everyone makes him out to be so will he sign a contract close to the money he's been making which would compensate him fairly and will keep him on a good team with most likely chances to win but will fall short of the typical UFA overpay. Or will he be like most other players and go for the money because there is always some team desperate for talent who are willing to grossly overpay guys just like Nuge.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2021 12:10]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772889 is a reply to message #772887 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:03

Woah woah woah guys. Is it even allowed to say anything negative towards Nuge? The guy damn near walks on water according to some Oilers fans.
The whole ask from the Nuge camp for more than 7 mill is pretty laughable to me. He's a good player and maybe there is a team out who would give him more than 7 but I think if that happens, they will be pretty disappointed. I'm not saying he would be a bad player for any team, I just think he wouldn't give a different enough to justify his salary if it comes in that high. I have said it many times in here and on other sites, I think he's been slightly overpaid for the bulk of his contract given prior to being out with McD or Leon, he's a 50 pt player. So giving him something with a 6 in front of it, is more than fair.

The coming months are going to be real interesting with Nuge. Is he truly the team first guy that everyone makes him out to be so will he sign a contract close to the money he's been making which would compensate him fairly and will keep him on a good team with most likely chances to win but will fall short of the typical UFA overpay. Or will he be like most other players and go for the money because there is always some team desperate for talent who are willing to grossly overpay guys just like Nuge.

I like the Nuge. Mainly because all the bad teams he's played for and he keeps on trucking. And he's still useful on this team that is just starved of talented players.

Think he is what he is now. Good skater. Can show off skills on the PP when he has lots of time and space. His shot is the one thing he's developed over the years. Never learned faceoffs. Pretty meh defensively, although he seems to keep getting credit from coaches for his defensive effort. Never developed much as a playmaker 5v5. Physical frame just was not able to support a few strong player, and he'll just always be pretty weak in puck battles. Never really became a player that is a top 6 C on a good team.

I'd keep him for ~7M. Partially just out of principle. He's also good as a winger, especially when playing with guys that can win pucks off the boards and make quick plays to give him chances to shoot. Even if he's not a driver of the line, he can still be very useful in that situation.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772892 is a reply to message #772889 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:18

I like the Nuge. Mainly because all the bad teams he's played for and he keeps on trucking. And he's still useful on this team that is just starved of talented players.

Think he is what he is now. Good skater. Can show off skills on the PP when he has lots of time and space. His shot is the one thing he's developed over the years. Never learned faceoffs. Pretty meh defensively, although he seems to keep getting credit from coaches for his defensive effort. Never developed much as a playmaker 5v5. Physical frame just was not able to support a few strong player, and he'll just always be pretty weak in puck battles. Never really became a player that is a top 6 C on a good team.

I'd keep him for ~7M. Partially just out of principle. He's also good as a winger, especially when playing with guys that can win pucks off the boards and make quick plays to give him chances to shoot. Even if he's not a driver of the line, he can still be very useful in that situation.

I completely agree with what you said, just surprised someone else said it other than me because like I said when it comes to Nuge, you'd swear he could walk on water.

I'd like the Oilers too keep him as well but the contract needs to start with a 6. I have 6.5 mill, what Brayden Schenn signed for in Oct 2019 as right where Nuge should be. They are similar players, produce similar points the last few years and if anything I take Schenn's more because he doesn't have McD or Leon as his linemates. In my mind, I can't think of an argument Nuge or his agent could come up with to tell anyone why he's worth more than that especially given the financial landscape of the league has dramatically changed for the worse and will be worse for several years to come.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772896 is a reply to message #772889 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 13:18

I love Nuge. I hope he ends out his career with the Oilers, a lifer. Lemme get that outta the way.

But you can’t give a guy ~1M raise out of principle. They already did that with Chiasson... they did it with Kassian. You’re bang on that he is what he is now, but give any NHL player time and space on a powerplay and they’ll show their skills. Nuge is very useful, he is what this team lacks, an NHL winger.

Management here has been playing checkers for decades. They need to play chess.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2021 12:43]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772898 is a reply to message #772884 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:51

Yeah, not with that performance.. he's lucky to get 4.5M, I've been watching other teams/games and there are guys at half the cost way more effective than RNH, and I'm finally realizing that he's way overpaid at $6M. His tenacity level is flat-lined, especially so this year, and the play-in.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772902 is a reply to message #772898 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 14:23

Yeah, not with that performance.. he's lucky to get 4.5M, I've been watching other teams/games and there are guys at half the cost way more effective than RNH, and I'm finally realizing that he's way overpaid at $6M. His tenacity level is flat-lined, especially so this year, and the play-in.

He brings it v Calgary. I in no way want Nuge gone. Just don’t think the price tag reflects the output. Re-up at 6 I’m happy. 6.5... eeeeh I get it. He’s 27. Logic tells me he isn’t going to improve on what we’ve seen. One thing not noted, while the eyes say his defensive game has holes, he has been a relatively large part of the PK the last couple years.

But back on topic;

Oilers 4-3 tonight.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772908 is a reply to message #772902 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 13:05

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 14:23

He brings it v Calgary. I in no way want Nuge gone. Just don’t think the price tag reflects the output. Re-up at 6 I’m happy. 6.5... eeeeh I get it. He’s 27. Logic tells me he isn’t going to improve on what we’ve seen. One thing not noted, while the eyes say his defensive game has holes, he has been a relatively large part of the PK the last couple years.

But back on topic;

Oilers 4-3 tonight.

Yeah probably right, but it seems like a faded memory to me right now..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772899 is a reply to message #772883 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 10:46

Truth.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772901 is a reply to message #772899 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Leafs dressing 7D and 11F.?Leafs projected lineup against Edmonton

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Vesey
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Lehtonen

Andersen starts
Campbell

Source:

https://www.tsn.ca/shilton-toronto-maple-leafs-need-layers-o f-support-to-slow-mcdavid-1.1580172

Spezza?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772909 is a reply to message #772901 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 14:03

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Vesey
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Lehtonen

Andersen starts
Campbell

Source:

https://www.tsn.ca/shilton-toronto-maple-leafs-need-layers-o f-support-to-slow-mcdavid-1.1580172

Spezza?

I really hate to admit it, but that really looks like a more complete lineup than the Oilers have.

Hopefully our top end really outplays their top end.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772912 is a reply to message #772909 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 15:40

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 14:03

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Vesey
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Spezza-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian
Lehtonen

Andersen starts
Campbell

Source:

Spezza?

I really hate to admit it, but that really looks like a more complete lineup than the Oilers have.

Hopefully our top end really outplays their top end.

Don’t admit that, Adam.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772888 is a reply to message #772841 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

I can’t be the only one who thinks betting the over (6.5 total goals) is like printing free money tonight can I?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772890 is a reply to message #772888 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:18

I can’t be the only one who thinks betting the over (6.5 total goals) is like printing free money tonight can I?

So you think the Leafs will score 7?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772891 is a reply to message #772890 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 13:20

Now, now, we’re bound to get 1.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772893 is a reply to message #772891 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Cuthbert doing the Oilers game tonight as it's a national broadcast. Thank god. I can't take they guy they had opening night or the weekend Habs game. Way too monotone of a voice for me.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 January 2021 13:01]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772895 is a reply to message #772891 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:32

All the teasing with being shutout we've done lately, I feel like we're due!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5) [message #772906 is a reply to message #772891 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 12:32

you can book a Draisaitl goal tonight. I figure the rest of the squad is good for at least one more besides that.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers 2021 training camp roster
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca