F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, BenningPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767715]
Tue, 06 October 2020 20:49 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Holland says tonight that both players won't be signed or qualified ahead of this week's deadline. That's pretty terrible asset management. Minnesota managed to trade a goalie who was injured, had terrible numbers and who they were going to buy out - it would be disappointing if the Oilers weren't able to get anything for a right shot defenceman with good underlying numbers and a winger one year removed from a 30-goal campaign.

Also - Athanasiou is someone Holland knows well. It is ridiculous that he'd give up two 2nd round picks for him and then change his mind completely on the player in 13 games. Just terrible.

Not a great night for the Oilers all around.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767720 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Depends what he does with the cap space he's saved, I'll wait.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767723 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Poor Benning. Does not get the respect he deserves.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767724 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oooooohhhh. This Athanasiou move burns. Unless there is some amazing move that will land us a top 6 forward using his 3M without giving up much.

Benning, that's too bad too. Been a useful 3rd pair D for us.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767744 is a reply to message #767724 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 20:08

Oooooohhhh. This Athanasiou move burns. Unless there is some amazing move that will land us a top 6 forward using his 3M without giving up much.

Benning, that's too bad too. Been a useful 3rd pair D for us.

Yeah he was a solid player for the Oil, good character, always 100%.. Covid cap budget screwed it all up, I'm sure both would have bee qualified otherwise.. could be flat for 3 years or more.. I think there will be a few teams not qualifying some pretty good players, and afraid of arbitration result, a lot of teams afraid of long term budget effects..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767725 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 20:49

Holland says tonight that both players won't be signed or qualified ahead of this week's deadline. That's pretty terrible asset management. Minnesota managed to trade a goalie who was injured, had terrible numbers and who they were going to buy out - it would be disappointing if the Oilers weren't able to get anything for a right shot defenceman with good underlying numbers and a winger one year removed from a 30-goal campaign.

Also - Athanasiou is someone Holland knows well. It is ridiculous that he'd give up two 2nd round picks for him and then change his mind completely on the player in 13 games. Just terrible.

Not a great night for the Oilers all around.

Can’t they sign both players at a discounted price now? I’ll hold my judgement on this moment in Oilers Heritage Minutes for a few days.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767726 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

I’m with Skookum Jim, though it’s a painful price to pay for what AA brought, the player he has been this past season does not equal a 3+mil player in a flat cap world when you don’t have much cap space.

I’ll add, while we seemingly won’t have Klefbom for whatever this next season looks like, qualifying AA and Benning (for 5 mil combined?) leaves VERY little space to improve in net and other parts of the lineup. An upgrade in net makes up for some of the defensive deficiencies the Oilers have.

I’ll wait and see what Friday brings.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767727 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Athanasiou feels exactly like the kind of player who will put up 25-30 goals somewhere next year while the Oilers are floundering looking for scoring wingers. He's as likely to bounce back as not, I would think.

Benning, I'm less concerned about, but he would provide some stability, especially if they want to move Kris Russell (and they should). Perhaps they can bring him back at a better AAV.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767730 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

You can't do something stupid to wallpaper over something stupid you did. If he feels AA doesn't have the long term value to justify being qualified, he shouldn't do it. Nobody else will pay him $3 million either, so maybe you get him back cheap.

Same with Benning, he goes and checks his options, and if he doesn't get a big offer (which he won't), maybe he's back too.

I'm hoping they find a team to dump Russell on (high cap, low salary), and bring up some kids on D.

I just hope this money isn't going to be spent on an overrated loser.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767732 is a reply to message #767730 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 21:20

You can't do something stupid to wallpaper over something stupid you did.

This, absolutely this. Liked. Retweeted.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767733 is a reply to message #767732 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 21:28

I would have qualified AA on a one year deal. If he puts up 25-30 goals, that's a bargain. If not, easy out. Either way, you have a better idea how he fits in Edmonton.

Where does the money come from? By not signing Zack Kassian for more money than it takes to qualify AA.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767734 is a reply to message #767733 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 21:31

I would have qualified AA on a one year deal. If he puts up 25-30 goals, that's a bargain. If not, easy out. Either way, you have a better idea how he fits in Edmonton.

Where does the money come from? By not signing Zack Kassian for more money than it takes to qualify AA.

If we have the time machine to not extend Kassian, I'm definitely not trading for AA too. Wings probably walk from him right now like we are. Ugh :( Team is looking pretty incomplete right now. Not much assets/cap space to fill it out.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 October 2020 21:40]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767737 is a reply to message #767734 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 21:38

If we have the time machine to not extend Kassian, I'm definitely not trading for AA too. Wings probably walk from him right now like we are. Ugh :(

It's not just hindsight though. The Kassian signing was foolish at the time (it was bad the second it was signed); I think the AA was a decent gamble.

Nobody could predict what would follow. But if you don't sign the bad Kassian contract, you likely have the room for a short-term, calculated gamble on the higher ceiling player of AA on a qualifying offer in the present.

AA and Benning are a little bit victim to the times, but they are far from the worst contracts on the team. And it sucks that the Oilers carry so many of them, because they have to let go of better players to fit into a cap filled with worse players.

Smart cap management allows for unique opportunities that the Oilers never seem privy to.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767738 is a reply to message #767737 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 21:46

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 21:38

If we have the time machine to not extend Kassian, I'm definitely not trading for AA too. Wings probably walk from him right now like we are. Ugh :(

It's not just hindsight though. The Kassian signing was foolish at the time (it was bad the second it was signed); I think the AA was a decent gamble.

Nobody could predict what would follow. But if you don't sign the bad Kassian contract, you likely have the room for a short-term, calculated gamble on the higher ceiling player of AA on a qualifying offer in the present.

AA and Benning are a little bit victim to the times, but they are far from the worst contracts on the team. And it sucks that the Oilers carry so many of them, because they have to let go of better players to fit into a cap filled with worse players.

Smart cap management allows for unique opportunities that the Oilers never seem privy to.

hehe, yes, I'm definitely using hindsight here with the time machine moves. I don't think there is a way to spin this where Holland looks good in any way with either move. Kassian deal is the kind that the Wings are buying out right now. AA, he gambles on a guy he's supposed to know, and now decides he's not even worth low end 2nd line winger money, even though he did look better after getting a reset with the break before the play-ins. We barely have any skill on the LW now. Need some kinda move here to make up for this.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 October 2020 21:57]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767739 is a reply to message #767733 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kass was resigned before COVID and the flat cap era began. Not defending the overpay on his contract, just trying to insert some logic. I’d bet that if there was no flat cap, AA would have been qualified. But it’s a flat cap and he wasn’t. C’est la vie.

Maybe he goes back East, maybe he lights the lamp 20-30 times. Maybe Holland resigns him at cheaper than his QO after he goes to market and realizes he won’t get 3M in a flat cap.

While I think we all agree the cost to acquire AA, for letting him walk, was a complete waste of assets. But I understand not qualifying him at 3mil and I’m willing to see what Holland can do with this cap before castrating him.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767745 is a reply to message #767733 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 20:31

I'd think the same, a one year, if he rebounds for 25 to 30 goals, and it turns out he's worth the qualification price, you covered your draft pick costs, unless.. Holland has a use planned for that cap this year.. wait and see..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767736 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Side note:

Michael Parkatti @mparkatti
Athanasiou *must* be qualified/re-signed or the Messier trade tree dies here. This cannot be allowed to happen.

Long shot that this would actually finally end the down cycle we're in for the cyclical nature of the game?

He's not 100% right though, Klefbom will become the final piece... Uh oh.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 October 2020 21:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767759 is a reply to message #767736 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The AA situation hurts a bit. A prime example of a team making a move based on the information they were told by the league about the cap, then Covid came and it screwed everything up. Other teams are in the same boat. I read this morning from Treena - I know not to totally believe it - but supposedly the Oilers according to Treena, offered AA 2 yrs, 2.4 mill per. Not sure if that was true but I tend to think that sounds about right. That's in the range of what I think he is worth. I'd be surprised if AA got that on the market.

Not surprised about Benning. I don't mind him, I wouldn't have a problem keeping him but not for 2 mill. In my opinion, 2 mill is too much for a dman who the only reason people care is he shoots right and paying 2 mill for a guy who very easily ends up being your 7th dman is too much. Just because the previous GM overpaid Benning on his last contract doesn't mean you continue the cycle. He's an Edmonton guy, has a new baby, maybe be comes back and signs a deal for a more appropriate number.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767827 is a reply to message #767759 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Athanasiou, Benning, Day, Hebig, Kuffner, Mantha, Redmond and Vesey to become unrestricted free agents on Friday.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-issue-qualify ing-offers-to-bear-lagesson/c-319352808

Bear and Lagesson qualified.They have no Arbitration rights.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767849 is a reply to message #767827 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 12:42

Athanasiou, Benning, Day, Hebig, Kuffner, Mantha, Redmond and Vesey to become unrestricted free agents on Friday.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-issue-qualify ing-offers-to-bear-lagesson/c-319352808

Assuming some of the issue with trading these guys has been that other teams know they'll be available for free in a couple days if they hold out, I wonder if you could have traded a Matt Benning on a one-year deal if you kept 20-30% of his contract. There's some cost certainty then, and they could maybe get a bit of a discount.

I can't see Benning waiting long to get a new deal from someone at close to these numbers, so it seems so odd to just cut him loose with absolutely nothing to show for it. Athanasiou is bad because of the optics, but Benning should have been a moveable asset.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767855 is a reply to message #767849 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

[quote title=Adam wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 14:27]
GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 12:42

Assuming some of the issue with trading these guys has been that other teams know they'll be available for free in a couple days if they hold out, I wonder if you could have traded a Matt Benning on a one-year deal if you kept 20-30% of his contract. There's some cost certainty then, and they could maybe get a bit of a discount.

Pretty simply with AA or Benning on why they couldn't get anything for their rights. No one else thought they were worth 3 mill for AA or 2 mill for Bennign either. So why would you give the Oilers anything for the chance to overpay for them?

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767874 is a reply to message #767855 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 14:40

Pretty simply with AA or Benning on why they couldn't get anything for their rights. No one else thought they were worth 3 mill for AA or 2 mill for Bennign either. So why would you give the Oilers anything for the chance to overpay for them?

What I was saying was that you could potentially qualify Benning and if he accepted the one-year deal at $1.9MM, you could then retain 20-30% and give him to someone else so that you have a cap hit this year of, say, $350K, but you get back a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The team gets the player at the price they want, but also the certainty of getting him - something they won't have if he's on the open market.

What dollar figure is a draft pick worth is a good question that I don't have the answer to.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #767966 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Thu, 08 October 2020 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

https://twitter.com/edmontonjournal/status/13144088611604029 45?s=21

Some insight from Matt Benning re: his discussions with Holland, heading to market and his concussion/neck issues.

Paints a picture that the Oilers are going to give Bouchard a bit of rope as RD3 and possibly running the pp.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768122 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Benning lands in Nashville... 2 years 1 mill AAV

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768124 is a reply to message #768122 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 12:17

It seems he took less than what the oilers were offering?
I'd fire his agent.. know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768127 is a reply to message #768124 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:20

I'd fire his agent..

He wanted to play... in chatting with Holland he didn't see his chance at being a regular fixture, which is why he didn't take what they offered.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768128 is a reply to message #768127 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:22

I'd fire his agent..

He wanted to play... in chatting with Holland he didn't see his chance at being a regular fixture, which is why he didn't take what they offered.

Makes sense to me. I saw him as a place holder for Bouchard.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768129 is a reply to message #768128 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:23

I'd fire his agent..

and from the Journal interview, that's what he kinda of eluded too.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768136 is a reply to message #768129 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:24

I'd fire his agent..

It did sound in the Journal article like he was more concerned with what role was offered than what money was.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768137 is a reply to message #768136 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:32

I'd fire his agent..

It did sound in the Journal article like he was more concerned with what role was offered than what money was.

It's interesting how confident we are that Benning wouldn't have a place in our lineup.

I don't share this confidence.

It is however nuts to look at the D group Nashville has now after all these years of being completely loaded.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 October 2020 13:39]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768142 is a reply to message #768137 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:34

I'd fire his agent..

It's interesting how confident we are that Benning wouldn't have a place in our lineup.

It is however nuts to look at the D group Nashville has now after all these years of being completely loaded.

It's more his own view of not seeing his place in the top 6, than us I think. He's a dang good 3rd pairing dman IMO

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768144 is a reply to message #768142 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:45

I'd fire his agent..

It's more his own view of not seeing his place in the top 6, than us I think. He's a dang good 3rd pairing dman IMO

Nah - I think the Oilers were clear to him that they want to break in Bouchard, so he could have a bunch of nights in the press box. Reading between the lines on what he said, I did not get the feeling he was being told he had a spot on our opening game roster.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768146 is a reply to message #768144 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:46

I'd fire his agent..

Nah - I think the Oilers were clear to him that they want to break in Bouchard, so he could have a bunch of nights in the press box. Reading between the lines on what he said, I did not get the feeling he was being told he had a spot on our opening game roster.

We're just such a nice team. Like when we bought out Gryba instead of burying him in the AHL to recoup 100% of his cap hit, and let him sign in Jersey, where he was buried in the AHL.

Gotta be nice to Benning and make sure he know how excited we are that he isn't gonna have a place in our lineup because of a guy that has barely touched NHL ice that "might" be ready. Let someone else get a reliable 3rd pair D for 1M.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768153 is a reply to message #768146 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:48

I'd fire his agent..

We're just such a nice team. Like when we bought out Gryba instead of burying him in the AHL to recoup 100% of his cap hit, and let him sign in Jersey, where he was buried in the AHL.

Gotta be nice to Benning and make sure he know how excited we are that he isn't gonna have a place in our lineup because of a guy that has barely touched NHL ice that "might" be ready. Let someone else get a reliable 3rd pair D for 1M.

It's possible the team may be run by idiots.

Personally, I'd have told the guy with almost 250 NHL games that he's ahead of the raw rookie on the depth chart for now. I mean, at least make Bouchard force his way in. I don't think you need to make any promises, but you can say he's there now, and Larsson's been a bit of a bandaid lately, so there's a decent chance Benning wouldn't even miss many games...

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768159 is a reply to message #768153 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:56

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:48

I'd fire his agent..

It's possible the team may be run by idiots.

Personally, I'd have told the guy with almost 250 NHL games that he's ahead of the raw rookie on the depth chart for now. I mean, at least make Bouchard force his way in. I don't think you need to make any promises, but you can say he's there now, and Larsson's been a bit of a bandaid lately, so there's a decent chance Benning wouldn't even miss many games...

Very decent chance even with Bouchard in the mix that Benning would have gotten as many or more games in next year as he did this year. But when he hit UFA, you can't really fault him for picking his spot and finding the best fit for him and his career.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #768143 is a reply to message #768127 ]
Fri, 09 October 2020 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 12:22

I'd fire his agent..

Fair enough.. believe in yourself, prove 'em wrong.. wish the guy ALL the best, he left it all out on the ice while an Oilers, hope he does well.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #770999 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Mon, 28 December 2020 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Hearing Andreas Athanasiou will be joining LA on a one-year deal.

I think this is going to come in around $1.2M

He turned down I believe a >2M AAV 2 year deal from us thinking he could make more as a UFA.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771001 is a reply to message #770999 ]
Mon, 28 December 2020 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 15:11

He turned down I believe a >2M AAV 2 year deal from us thinking he could make more as a UFA.

I was very wrong on his market value and so was his agent.

Good bet by the Kings though.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771004 is a reply to message #771001 ]
Mon, 28 December 2020 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Surprised AA even got a contract.

I want to thank AA and his agent for the idiotic decision. For cost of AA and his qualifying offer, the Oilers got Kahum, Ennis and Koekkoek with a few 100K to spare.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772914 is a reply to message #771001 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 17:25

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 15:11

I was very wrong on his market value and so was his agent.

Good bet by the Kings though.

I was wrong about him getting close to his qualifying offer from another team.

May not have been wrong about him living up to the value of his qualifying deal. Good for him for rebounding from a bad season last year.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#40) - Ryan McLeod
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca