This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers pitch bid with government to host gamesPages (5): [1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760423]
Tue, 19 May 2020 21:46 Go to next message
mad90  is currently offline mad90

No Cups

https://globalnews.ca/news/6961844/edmonton-oilers-city-prov ince-nhl-pitch/

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760429 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Wed, 20 May 2020 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

It's gonna be weird.

I think Edmonton will be one of the selected cities, which means the Oilers team itself could be playing somewhere else for the whole playoffs.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760430 is a reply to message #760429 ]
Wed, 20 May 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 13:16

It's gonna be weird.

I think Edmonton will be one of the selected cities, which means the Oilers team itself could be playing somewhere else for the whole playoffs.

I think we have a chance, but the border may be a complicating factor. The NHL may want to set up everyone in the US so that they don't have to worry about crossing the border again at any point. There's no guarantee what happens with that over the next several months, so it removes some uncertainty if everyone is in the same place.

If it were me, I'd look at a couple of Canadian rinks, because the virus hasn't hit Canada nearly as hard, and the ice is likely to be better. If you're playing hockey in Vegas in July and August - especially multiple games in a day - is the ice going to be able to be maintained?

But the NHL's head offices are in the US, and the rules in some of the states are a little more lax, and if I'm the PA, I'm pushing hard to do this in a state with no state tax. Any income the players make over this period, they'd be paying their taxes in that jurisdiction, so they'd do better in somewhere like Nevada or Florida. I'm not sure how the business taxes work on the NHL, especially since most revenue would come from their TV deal, but I have to think that's a consideration for them as well.

I wonder where hotels would be cheapest too. There's less people that want to come travel to Edmonton and Winnipeg than Vegas, but also a lot less occupancy available too.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760432 is a reply to message #760430 ]
Wed, 20 May 2020 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 14:09

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 13:16

It's gonna be weird.

I think we have a chance, but the border may be a complicating factor. The NHL may want to set up everyone in the US so that they don't have to worry about crossing the border again at any point. There's no guarantee what happens with that over the next several months, so it removes some uncertainty if everyone is in the same place.

If it were me, I'd look at a couple of Canadian rinks, because the virus hasn't hit Canada nearly as hard, and the ice is likely to be better. If you're playing hockey in Vegas in July and August - especially multiple games in a day - is the ice going to be able to be maintained?

But the NHL's head offices are in the US, and the rules in some of the states are a little more lax, and if I'm the PA, I'm pushing hard to do this in a state with no state tax. Any income the players make over this period, they'd be paying their taxes in that jurisdiction, so they'd do better in somewhere like Nevada or Florida. I'm not sure how the business taxes work on the NHL, especially since most revenue would come from their TV deal, but I have to think that's a consideration for them as well.

I wonder where hotels would be cheapest too. There's less people that want to come travel to Edmonton and Winnipeg than Vegas, but also a lot less occupancy available too.

Seems lame to want to play in a less safe area to save a bit of tax. If anyone gets infected during this run to finish the year, they could all be screwed. I wonder what the tax implications actually are when most of the revenue from this will be from sold advertisements topping up the HRR to allow more escrow to be released.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760433 is a reply to message #760432 ]
Wed, 20 May 2020 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The weak Canadian dollar compared to US has to be an advantage. Expenses will be high with 24 teams essentially all on the road.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760436 is a reply to message #760433 ]
Wed, 20 May 2020 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 14:55

The weak Canadian dollar compared to US has to be an advantage. Expenses will be high with 24 teams essentially all on the road.

I'd imagine they'd go out for bids like Amazon did a couple of years back. Try and make cities compete against each other for the honor of providing a massive subsidy to a billion dollar enterprise. It's bid shopping without the illegatily of actually bid shopping.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760437 is a reply to message #760436 ]
Wed, 20 May 2020 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 15:46

I'd imagine they'd go out for bids like Amazon did a couple of years back. Try and make cities compete against each other for the honor of providing a massive subsidy to a billion dollar enterprise. It's bid shopping without the illegatily of actually bid shopping.

What are the actual benefits of these teams coming I wonder? I guess they will use up hotel rooms and buy food and other stuff. There is no revenue from paying customers attending games though.

Kenney only mentions that it would be good for tourism when things are opening up. Do we actually want that? hehe.

I think we should hold firm on our bid of 1 snack pack per player and 10 snack packs for Gary bettman if they pick Edmonton. If push comes to shove, perhaps I would go as high as 11 snack packs for Gary.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 May 2020 16:48]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760464 is a reply to message #760437 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 16:46

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 15:46

What are the actual benefits of these teams coming I wonder? I guess they will use up hotel rooms and buy food and other stuff. There is no revenue from paying customers attending games though.

Kenney only mentions that it would be good for tourism when things are opening up. Do we actually want that? hehe.

I think we should hold firm on our bid of 1 snack pack per player and 10 snack packs for Gary bettman if they pick Edmonton. If push comes to shove, perhaps I would go as high as 11 snack packs for Gary.

Yeah, it would be a boon to a couple of area hotels. They'd need to cater in a lot of meals too and you'd get a lot of external shots of the city and area.

That's about it!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760474 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Curious what NHL players think about this? Edmonton is rolling out an impressive “lifestyle” presentation in its Hub city quest. Secured golf course. Cool temps. Outdoor big screens for movies/other games. Some fun stuff planned. More tonight in Insider Trading.

Appears we are going way beyond snack packs

[Updated on: Thu, 21 May 2020 12:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760479 is a reply to message #760474 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 12:40

Curious what NHL players think about this? Edmonton is rolling out an impressive “lifestyle” presentation in its Hub city quest. Secured golf course. Cool temps. Outdoor big screens for movies/other games. Some fun stuff planned. More tonight in Insider Trading.

Secured golf course? I hope it's Rundle.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760480 is a reply to message #760479 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 12:50

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 12:40

Secured golf course? I hope it's Rundle.

Millwoods!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760482 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

I'll say this: I don't completely get the campaigning to be a hub city by the OEG, City of Edmonton, and Province of Alberta.

The economic impact will be quite minimal, I'd imagine. I can't imagine they want media going from bar to bar to bar and bringing that back into the hotel around the players.

It doesn't seem likely there will be any fans at the game (and there shouldn't be), so from a fan perspective, it doesn't matter if they're played here or Helsinki.

Entertaining players/media should be secondary to safety. This isn't the NHL All-Star Weekend, or the NHL Draft, or even a normal Cup playoffs. One sick player likely puts everything jeopardy, which has HUGE financial implication for the NHL and for the players. Every effort should be fully concentrated on completing the season safely and securing TV revenue. ESPECIALLY since having a full season next year seems pretty unlikely as well.

IF - and it's a huge IF - you can entertain the players and media after that primary concern, great. But every time they spread and and step outside that bubble - even to secure areas - you do increase the risk of someone catching and spreading something and it carries huge financial implications. Ideally, I'd want to have as little entrance / exit of the Marriott/Rogers complex as possible.

All of this said, Edmonton SHOULD host because it is the safest, best chance to complete season. Fewest cases, secure and self-contained complex, and less likely to have trouble with the ice due to temperatures. But if the NHL can't see that, it's really their loss, and maybe it ultimately costs them.

One final point: if the NHL can't adhere to provincial health guidelines, I don't really want them here anyway. Things like a 14-day quarantine for arriving media and players give everyone the best chance of entering & staying healthy. Again, it's in the NHL's best interest. Make sure everyone is healthy before they enter the bubble, check temperatures daily, and control entry/exit. It's not an ideal world, but there is a financial stake in this for both the league and the players, and this gives them the best chance at a favourable outcome. Besides, they've been quarantining for a few months now, this is a step up on that regardless, even if it isn't ideal or a return to normal.

TLDR; not sure why OEG is campaigning so hard. Edmonton is the NHL's best option, and if the NHL doesn't see that, they're the ones who are creating a greater risk for themselves.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760488 is a reply to message #760482 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 13:18

I'll say this: I don't completely get the campaigning to be a hub city by the OEG, City of Edmonton, and Province of Alberta.

The economic impact will be quite minimal, I'd imagine. I can't imagine they want media going from bar to bar to bar and bringing that back into the hotel around the players.

It doesn't seem likely there will be any fans at the game (and there shouldn't be), so from a fan perspective, it doesn't matter if they're played here or Helsinki.

Entertaining players/media should be secondary to safety. This isn't the NHL All-Star Weekend, or the NHL Draft, or even a normal Cup playoffs. One sick player likely puts everything jeopardy, which has HUGE financial implication for the NHL and for the players. Every effort should be fully concentrated on completing the season safely and securing TV revenue. ESPECIALLY since having a full season next year seems pretty unlikely as well.

IF - and it's a huge IF - you can entertain the players and media after that primary concern, great. But every time they spread and and step outside that bubble - even to secure areas - you do increase the risk of someone catching and spreading something and it carries huge financial implications. Ideally, I'd want to have as little entrance / exit of the Marriott/Rogers complex as possible.

All of this said, Edmonton SHOULD host because it is the safest, best chance to complete season. Fewest cases, secure and self-contained complex, and less likely to have trouble with the ice due to temperatures. But if the NHL can't see that, it's really their loss, and maybe it ultimately costs them.

One final point: if the NHL can't adhere to provincial health guidelines, I don't really want them here anyway. Things like a 14-day quarantine for arriving media and players give everyone the best chance of entering & staying healthy. Again, it's in the NHL's best interest. Make sure everyone is healthy before they enter the bubble, check temperatures daily, and control entry/exit. It's not an ideal world, but there is a financial stake in this for both the league and the players, and this gives them the best chance at a favourable outcome. Besides, they've been quarantining for a few months now, this is a step up on that regardless, even if it isn't ideal or a return to normal.

TLDR; not sure why OEG is campaigning so hard. Edmonton is the NHL's best option, and if the NHL doesn't see that, they're the ones who are creating a greater risk for themselves.

You're going to fill a couple hundred hotel rooms for a couple of months - that's not a small dollar figure. Twelve teams, with staff and a taxi squad is probably 600-700 people, so early on, it's massive.

The hotel industry is suffering pretty badly, so if you're the JW Marriott and you can sell out for a couple months when there's going to be minimal other traffic, it's a big deal.

And teams aren't going to do room service for weeks. They'll be ordering huge amounts of food from local restaurants too.

I think it's a lift at a point in time where any boost is useful.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760490 is a reply to message #760488 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 13:46

You're going to fill a couple hundred hotel rooms for a couple of months - that's not a small dollar figure. Twelve teams, with staff and a taxi squad is probably 600-700 people, so early on, it's massive.

The hotel industry is suffering pretty badly, so if you're the JW Marriott and you can sell out for a couple months when there's going to be minimal other traffic, it's a big deal.

And teams aren't going to do room service for weeks. They'll be ordering huge amounts of food from local restaurants too.

It's not worthless. I just think that expectations need to be tempered. There will be limited spillover and it will not be a huge economic boom. But it'll help. Mostly the Oilers Entertainment Group and their buddies.

What I guess I'm kind of implying is that the JW Marriott will benefit a lot. Crash Hotel across the street probably won't benefit much at all.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760491 is a reply to message #760490 ]
Thu, 21 May 2020 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 13:50

Adam wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 13:46

It's not worthless. I just think that expectations need to be tempered. There will be limited spillover and it will not be a huge economic boom. But it'll help. Mostly the Oilers Entertainment Group and their buddies.

What I guess I'm kind of implying is that the JW Marriott will benefit a lot. Crash Hotel across the street probably won't benefit much at all.

They aren't likely to be harmed at all by it though - and they may get some spillover benefit in that other travellers who can't use the Marriott may stay there instead.

I do think that it makes some sense to be a little less public with the lobbying here - Kenney doing interviews with multiple media guys talking up the benefits of it and Iveson tweeting a bunch about it isn't really needed and it may actually make us look worse afterwards if we aren't successful in landing it. Basically a repeat of the video tape plea the Oilers made for Dany Heatley...

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760767 is a reply to message #760491 ]
Wed, 27 May 2020 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kenney himself made his letter to Trudeau public, basically asking for a quarantine exception for the NHL.

Strategy is clear. Make it look like you are trying, and if it fails, pass blame to federal government.

I don't think anybody should be getting exceptions. It's embarassing how public this all is.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760769 is a reply to message #760767 ]
Wed, 27 May 2020 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 27 May 2020 12:05

Kenney himself made his letter to Trudeau public, basically asking for a quarantine exception for the NHL.

Strategy is clear. Make it look like you are trying, and if it fails, pass blame to federal government.

I don't think anybody should be getting exceptions. It's embarassing how public this all is.

So. Thirsty.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760603 is a reply to message #760482 ]
Mon, 25 May 2020 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Well said. Agree with this as well. If the NHL doesn't see the value of Edmonton being one of the cities, to heck with them.

Edmonton and Vancovuer is pretty much no-brainers regarding the arena and facilities nearby available. No US city probably comes even close in terms of safety to try to make sure you can finish this season off without some kind of outbreak occurring within the player/staff ranks.

That said, I fully expect the NHL to hold a Lebron James style "the decision" event to reveal who kissed their butts the most.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760605 is a reply to message #760603 ]
Mon, 25 May 2020 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 May 2020 12:12

Well said. Agree with this as well. If the NHL doesn't see the value of Edmonton being one of the cities, to heck with them.

Edmonton and Vancovuer is pretty much no-brainers regarding the arena and facilities nearby available. No US city probably comes even close in terms of safety to try to make sure you can finish this season off without some kind of outbreak occurring within the player/staff ranks.

That said, I fully expect the NHL to hold a Lebron James style "the decision" event to reveal who kissed their butts the most.

I'd watch.

There are a lot of American cities and states that aren't "experiencing" being plague zones. Even New York, unless they're planning on holding games in an old folks home, I'm not too worried.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #760610 is a reply to message #760605 ]
Mon, 25 May 2020 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 May 2020 12:15

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 May 2020 12:12

I'd watch.

There are a lot of American cities and states that aren't "experiencing" being plague zones. Even New York, unless they're planning on holding games in an old folks home, I'm not too worried.

If the threshold for re-freezing the season is simply anyone testing positive, then I'd certainly be more worried about players in any US city. Spread in the general population is far more rampant in pretty much any place you could hold these games than in Edmonton or Vancouver. Players and support staff still need to interact with the general population in some capacity. They need to eat, they need various supplies. They will want to get entertainment in some way that will open opportunities for overlapping interaction with things and areas the general population interacted with. The required goal of all this will be everyone involved getting 0 cases of COVID-19 over months of games being played.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761641 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Sat, 13 June 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Seeing some talk that Edmonton is pretty much out now as a potential hub city because of the change from 4 teams to 2. We have the nearby hotel, but because the NHL doubled the amount of teams per location, capacity becomes an issue here. We can't properly accommodate all the players/staff for 12 teams.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761646 is a reply to message #761641 ]
Sun, 14 June 2020 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 13 June 2020 14:09

Seeing some talk that Edmonton is pretty much out now as a potential hub city because of the change from 4 teams to 2. We have the nearby hotel, but because the NHL doubled the amount of teams per location, capacity becomes an issue here. We can't properly accommodate all the players/staff for 12 teams.

We've got: JW Marriott, Westin, Fairmont... where else would you put them? Sutton Place? Courtyard by Marriott? Doubletree? A city wouldn't have to work hard to beat those last three options.

I'm not sure that health is actually much of a priority for the NHL, but if it was, it's conceivable we might lose it to Vancouver anyways.

Edmonton now up to 160 active cases (+97) from reopening on May 14th, and up from 44 active cases at the beginning of June. Vancouver Coastal Region is down to 80 active cases. Fraser Region has 105 active cases. From Whistler to Vancouver to Chilliwack, it's about 185 active cases. There's an argument to be made that Vancouver (especially downtown Vancouver) is a better destination to host at this point.

Look - it should be plenty clear by now that the NHL just doesn't want to come here.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 June 2020 23:05]

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761647 is a reply to message #761646 ]
Sun, 14 June 2020 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 14 June 2020 01:35

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 13 June 2020 14:09

We've got: JW Marriott, Westin, Fairmont... where else would you put them? Sutton Place? Courtyard by Marriott? Doubletree? A city wouldn't have to work hard to be those last three options.

I'm not sure that health is actually much of a priority for the NHL, but it was, it's conceivable we might lose it to Vancouver anyways.

Edmonton now up to 160 active cases (+97) from reopening on May 14th, and up from 44 active cases at the beginning of June. Vancouver Coastal Region is down to 80 active cases. Fraser Region has 105 active cases. From Whistler to Vancouver to Chilliwack, it's about 185 active cases. There's an argument to be made that Vancouver (especially downtown Vancouver) is a better destination to host at this point.

Look - it should be plenty clear by now that the NHL just doesn't want to come here.

Here is a laid out reasoning from an article from the athletic. I guess they argue that teams would also not accept such a difference in hotel quality between the other options near the arena. Seems nitpicky, but maybe it's true:

Quote:

Vancouver: This is where the hotels come into play, giving Vancouver the edge over Edmonton. The JW Marriott in Edmonton has 346 rooms, not nearly enough to fit for 12 teams of 50 people each, plus NHL staff. With all due respect, the nearly by Delta and Westin are nice hotels, but not up to the quality of the JW. So how do you decide which teams go where?

Conversely, Vancouver is jam-packed with tremendous hotels and restaurants. The JW Marriott and Douglas Hotel, which is another Marriott property, are attached and right around the corner from Rogers Arena. They have 529 rooms, so the league would need another hotel to start. The Fairmont Pacific Rim, where many teams stay, has 377 rooms. Interestingly, the JW and Douglas are closed right now and there’s plenty of restaurants, a state-of-the-art gym and several banquet halls that could be turned into dining rooms and hospitality suites for teams. This is where the NHL held its GM’s meeting during the NHL Draft last summer.

Edmonton: As mentioned above, Edmonton was once a top candidate because of the incredible Rogers Place, attached practice rink and JW Marriott (attached by a skyway). But once the league went from four hub cities to two hub cities with 12 teams apiece, the hotel space at the JW is no longer sufficient.

Our fault, shoulda subsidized an extra hotel build ;)

And for sure, this kind of decision making would make it abundantly clear that odds of getting COVID-19 into the NHL bubbles is way down the list, if decisions are being made because of fears teams will not accept being in a bit lower quality hotel than other teams. Basically already showing this too with the Vegas selection.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 June 2020 10:05]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761648 is a reply to message #761647 ]
Sun, 14 June 2020 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

It’ll be interesting because with Vegas already reopening there will be a fair number of Covid cases there by the time this all gets going (if it gets going).

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761659 is a reply to message #761648 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 14 June 2020 10:26

It’ll be interesting because with Vegas already reopening there will be a fair number of Covid cases there by the time this all gets going (if it gets going).

To be fair, the numbers in Nevada have never been particularly bad, and I believe they have less cases than Alberta right now. They're headed in to their low tourist season anyhow (because it's miserably hot there in the summer) and no one can go there from out of country, so even though it's reopen, it's not likely to be jam-packed. If the NHL is able to maintain their bubble, then they'll be alright.

My biggest concern there would be around whether they can maintain their ice with two games a day in +50 Celsius heat. At least it's dry there. It's tougher in humid areas, because the humidity wreaks havoc. That could be an issue even in Toronto mid-summer.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761660 is a reply to message #761659 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

What is Vegas known for? Food, booze, partying, warm weather, awesome pools, lots of hot women running around all drunk, awesome bars, tons of entertainment, casino's. It's an adults play land.

So the NHL wants to start playing again and to do that, they want to create a bubble so the players once they come in and confirmed they don't have the virus, aren't exposed to the public to get it. So I have heard that the big reason the NHL will or has picked Vegas is money. Vegas is going to give the NHL free hotels. So that would be a HUGE cost savings if that is true and Vegas of all places would be able to do that.

So my question/concern is. You have all these young RICH athletes all in Vegas. Everything is open. So you are asking these young rich guys used to doing whatever the hell they want, to sit in a hotel and not go out. Not go to a show. Not go to one of 100's of restaurants. Not go to the best clubs who given who they are, they can walk into and be treated like kings. The weather will be hot so all these amazing famous pools will be packed with barely clothed girls. So you are asking all these young, rich, some SINGLE guys to sit in whatever hotel they are at or go down and hang out at the hotels pool they are in with only their teammates and a few staff and not partake in anything that is happening outside.

Yeah right.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761663 is a reply to message #761660 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 08:53

What is Vegas known for? Food, booze, partying, warm weather, awesome pools, lots of hot women running around all drunk, awesome bars, tons of entertainment, casino's. It's an adults play land.

So the NHL wants to start playing again and to do that, they want to create a bubble so the players once they come in and confirmed they don't have the virus, aren't exposed to the public to get it. So I have heard that the big reason the NHL will or has picked Vegas is money. Vegas is going to give the NHL free hotels. So that would be a HUGE cost savings if that is true and Vegas of all places would be able to do that.

So my question/concern is. You have all these young RICH athletes all in Vegas. Everything is open. So you are asking these young rich guys used to doing whatever the hell they want, to sit in a hotel and not go out. Not go to a show. Not go to one of 100's of restaurants. Not go to the best clubs who given who they are, they can walk into and be treated like kings. The weather will be hot so all these amazing famous pools will be packed with barely clothed girls. So you are asking all these young, rich, some SINGLE guys to sit in whatever hotel they are at or go down and hang out at the hotels pool they are in with only their teammates and a few staff and not partake in anything that is happening outside.

Yeah right.

My guess is that a prostitute will end up being the vector for the eventual COVID-19 spread through the NHL ;P

Who hired her? My money is on Matthews

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761661 is a reply to message #761659 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 08:36

To be fair, the numbers in Nevada have never been particularly bad, and I believe they have less cases than Alberta right now. They're headed in to their low tourist season anyhow (because it's miserably hot there in the summer) and no one can go there from out of country, so even though it's reopen, it's not likely to be jam-packed. If the NHL is able to maintain their bubble, then they'll be alright.

My biggest concern there would be around whether they can maintain their ice with two games a day in +50 Celsius heat. At least it's dry there. It's tougher in humid areas, because the humidity wreaks havoc. That could be an issue even in Toronto mid-summer.

+47 max.

Vegas story: I went for a concert in July a few years back and made a comment about the airport being close enough to the MGM that you could walk... long story short: I won the bet but it wasn't worth it.

I have to think making ice work in hot temperatures is a lot easier when they're running a private events. Building operators won't have to worry about the fans freezing and they could significantly reduce the volume of space that needed to be cooled with curtaining.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761662 is a reply to message #761659 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Nevada has 2,671 active cases with a population of 3M. 71% of their cases are in the region Las Vegas is in. So definitely more active than AB. Not terrible, but more and the business is ramping up now with more things opening every day. Can be sure there will be lots of fun being had with crowds by July.

Bubble maintaining will be and interesting problem to solve. Still need to eat, still need to be entertained. I don't think avoiding all overlap with the general population is possible.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761664 is a reply to message #761662 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 09:12

Nevada has 2,671 active cases with a population of 3M. 71% of their cases are in the region Las Vegas is in. So definitely more active than AB. Not terrible, but more and the business is ramping up now with more things opening every day. Can be sure there will be lots of fun being had with crowds by July.

Bubble maintaining will be and interesting problem to solve. Still need to eat, still need to be entertained. I don't think avoiding all overlap with the general population is possible.

I stand corrected. Was looking at the wrong spot apparently!

Saw a point by Jim Matheson that makes a lot of sense (I know, crazy, eh?) He pointed out that Sportsnet is based in Toronto which might weigh in to the decision. That makes a ton of sense. Most of the top talent they'd be using on the broadcasts are there as well, so they wouldn't have to put people up for 2-3 months.

It does make sense that Sportsnet (and NBC) would be in Bettman's ear about where they want the games to be played.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761665 is a reply to message #761664 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 09:22

Saw a point by Jim Matheson that makes a lot of sense (I know, crazy, eh?) He pointed out that Sportsnet is based in Toronto which might weigh in to the decision. That makes a ton of sense. Most of the top talent they'd be using on the broadcasts are there as well, so they wouldn't have to put people up for 2-3 months.

It does make sense that Sportsnet (and NBC) would be in Bettman's ear about where they want the games to be played.

For sure. There is no denying the appeal of Toronto, and Vegas as well from the NHL/player/media perspective. The only argument for other places really is how surrounded the NHL bubble would be with COVID-19 and maybe ice quality. I think the NHL hasn't cared about ice quality for a very long time though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761666 is a reply to message #761665 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 09:24

For sure. There is no denying the appeal of Toronto, and Vegas as well from the NHL/player/media perspective. The only argument for other places really is how surrounded the NHL bubble would be with COVID-19 and maybe ice quality. I think the NHL hasn't cared about ice quality for a very long time though.

Ice quality will probably be very low on their list. If I had to bet money, I would say it's Toronto and Vegas. Edmonton makes way, way too much sense safety wise, and facility wise but I don't see it. They need and East and West hub and I think the NHL will basically force it to be in Vegas. I think it would take a lot for it not to be in Vegas.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761669 is a reply to message #761666 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 09:37

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 09:24

Ice quality will probably be very low on their list. If I had to bet money, I would say it's Toronto and Vegas. Edmonton makes way, way too much sense safety wise, and facility wise but I don't see it. They need and East and West hub and I think the NHL will basically force it to be in Vegas. I think it would take a lot for it not to be in Vegas.

Edm or Van make a lot of sense for a West hub but I think hotel and in-hotel restaurant facilities are the biggest negative against them. Well Edm anyway. I havent spent enough time out side of Gastown in Van to know the ins and outs of the hotel/arena situation

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761675 is a reply to message #761666 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

They need and East and West hub...

Worth noting, they really don't need an East and a West hub. They don't have to worry about other events in the arenas, so they can play games at whatever time they want, no matter where it is. Doesn't matter if both locations were on the West coast, because they could start a game at 3 PM between two eastern teams and be fine.

The issue I've read with many of the potential locations (including Edmonton) is having enough hotels available.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761677 is a reply to message #761675 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 11:43

They need and East and West hub...

Worth noting, they really don't need an East and a West hub. They don't have to worry about other events in the arenas, so they can play games at whatever time they want, no matter where it is. Doesn't matter if both locations were on the West coast, because they could start a game at 3 PM between two eastern teams and be fine.

The issue I've read with many of the potential locations (including Edmonton) is having enough hotels available.

Yeah, in addition to everything else this year, time zones have been cancelled. Travel has been cancelled. They could run these anywhere in the world really. You don't have to have the West / East balance. They may, but it likely has to do with outside pressure rather than any real logistics.

The choice of NHL hub cities will reveal a lot about the NHL's priorities. If safety is the first priority, it would be Edmonton and Vancouver. If it's entertaining players, it's Vegas. If it's keeping media happy, Toronto. We will soon learn a lot about the hierarchy they placed.

I don't think Edmonton will be a hub city. You get the feeling the NHL is really dragging it's feet about coming here. I also don't believe it has much to do with federal health restrictions, however.

I wonder if not choosing the safest locations opens the NHL up to a negligence lawsuit if a player contracts irreversible lung damage or some other side affect of the virus that ends up putting his career in jeopardy or forces him into retirement. Or is a return to work "voluntary"?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761667 is a reply to message #761664 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

I worked for a Sask video production company for a few years that produced a lot of live events. We were the company that worked alongside TSN and Sportsnet when there were big events in Sask like the Mem Cup, curling, etc
I put in a couple of texts to contacts I had still have at each and they reiterated what you say about TO. My friend at SN also mentioned that they are looking at doing some new camera angles and such that arent possible with fans in the stands. This is MUCH easier to do when you are in your "home" city as a production company.

As far as Vegas goes they both said the same thing, the rink there was built knowing it would have to deal with warmer temps. Without fans in the stands both thought that the ice wouldnt be an issue.

A couple other things that both said independently;
- Both said that 99% they would bet it would be TO and Vegas.
- Vegas is seen as a top pick because of a number of factors but the access to free hotels is huge. They also said that each hotel have a lot of restaurants making it much easier to keep players in a bubble and still have choices to eat.
- Arrangements are being made to close off a different restaurant nightly for team dinners so they could come out of their rooms, eat as a group and go back without breaking the bubble
- the league is more worried about non-team personnel (TV broadcast crew, reporters from around NA, etc) going AWOL and causing an issue in Vegas than they are the players.
- Sportsnet has already started asking staff if they would be willing to work in in a Vegas bubble for a couple months
- there is a good chance that the press corps will be invited to site in the stands as apposed to up top if they so choose. (I think this would be weird, especially with them spaced out, just sitting quietly. Then again I suppose it would just look like a Coyotes home game....)
- rumor mill in the office is that they will be asked to sign some sort of agreement not to break the bubble, numerous punishments including loss of job being tossed around, also a rumor they will make serious extra pay for the hassle.

Neither was "in the know" enough for concrete info but this is what I was told.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761674 is a reply to message #761659 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 07:36

One thing that's been brought up is that the heat generated by 20000 people crowded in a building will not be a factor anymore. I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but it's an interesting thought.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761678 is a reply to message #761674 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

What about practice ice in Vegas? If you google ice surfaces in Vegas, not very many come up. If you have a whole bunch of teams all needing practice ice or ice to at least skate on prior to a game. With I assume a few games going a day in the main rink, you are going to need multiple other rinks. So the main rink and maybe the Knights practice rink have state of the art ice plants but what about the few others? I have a hard time believing that the a privately owned public skating rink has an ice plant designed to make remotely close NHL caliber ice when it's 50 outside.

Would I want McDavid who skates as fast as he does going out and potentially injuring himself doing a morning skate or a practice because the ice is complete garbage but that's all Vegas has? No way. But I doubt the NHL cares about that stuff.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761679 is a reply to message #761678 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 12:12

What about practice ice in Vegas? If you google ice surfaces in Vegas, not very many come up. If you have a whole bunch of teams all needing practice ice or ice to at least skate on prior to a game. With I assume a few games going a day in the main rink, you are going to need multiple other rinks. So the main rink and maybe the Knights practice rink have state of the art ice plants but what about the few others? I have a hard time believing that the a privately owned public skating rink has an ice plant designed to make remotely close NHL caliber ice when it's 50 outside.

Would I want McDavid who skates as fast as he does going out and potentially injuring himself doing a morning skate or a practice because the ice is complete garbage but that's all Vegas has? No way. But I doubt the NHL cares about that stuff.

Knights practice rink for sure. Hypothetically I guess you could probably turn the Thomas & Mack Center back into an ice rink (it was the home of the Las Vegas Thunder during the International Hockey League days), and the MGM Grand has an area which has hosted hockey previously. Neither is ideal, and I'm not sure whether they would be utilized, but they exist.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761680 is a reply to message #761679 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 12:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 12:12

Knights practice rink for sure. Hypothetically I guess you could probably turn the Thomas & Mack Center back into an ice rink (it was the home of the Las Vegas Thunder during the International Hockey League days), and the MGM Grand has an area which has hosted hockey previously. Neither is ideal, and I'm not sure whether they would be utilized, but they exist.

But are they capable of making ice an NHL team can use when it's close to 50 outside? I've been to Vegas in late July, early August. The time when teams would all be in Vegas ready to play looking to skate. It was high 40's every day. I am sure with it's state of the art ice plant, the Knights main rink wouldn't have a problem. Maybe the Knights practice ice wouldn't have a problem. But the other rinks? I'd be surprised.

Pages (5): [1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition)
Next Topic:Lennstrom joins Oilers on one-year deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca