This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers pitch bid with government to host gamesPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762012 is a reply to message #762011 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 14:07

Steve Simmons is saying that Auston Matthews tested positive while in Arizona.

I'll believe it when somebody else says it.

He heard it from someone who sells him hot dogs!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762013 is a reply to message #762012 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 14:09

haha, beat me to it. First thought was a contaminated hot dog. Although, if that would happen, it would be to Arizona Coyote Phil Kessel before anyone else.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762032 is a reply to message #762012 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 14:09

I’m more curious what he tested positive for.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762015 is a reply to message #762011 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Now the NHL is in real trouble. You don't want Auston Matthews that thinks he's immune to COVID-19 causing hijinks inside your NHL bubble, I guarantee you.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762017 is a reply to message #762011 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Arizona. Also somewhere you don't want to be right now.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762019 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It's probably not a small deal these players getting it. The mortality rate for people in this age and shape is not high, but considering some of the permanent lung damage, blood clots, etc., I wonder if it will jeopardize any careers.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762021 is a reply to message #762019 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 14:53

It's probably not a small deal these players getting it. The mortality rate for people in this age and shape is not high, but considering some of the permanent lung damage, blood clots, etc., I wonder if it will jeopardize any careers.

Luck of the draw. Odds are pretty tiny still, but if your body just happens to react poorly to this specific virus, you could be in for some trouble. Lots of healthy people have been unlucky and ended up with a bad infection. Can just be something unfortunate about how your immune system reacts to certain things. I still really worry about McDavid. Dude's body seems to go nuts when he gets a flu.

There must be players with conditions as well like asthma and type 1 diabetes (Max Domi for sure has that) too. Then you have all the older guys in the bubble with the support staff and coaching. COVID-19 spreading through any NHL bubble should be 100% unacceptable for the NHL and NHLPA.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2020 15:13]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762022 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Edit: Whoops! Already discussed sorry!

Bob reporting that "It’s my understanding one NHL club has had to temporarily close its training facilities during Phase Two because multiple players and some staff have tested positive for Covid-19."

Given the 7000+ cases Florida had between Wednesday and Thursday, I think the rumors that it's Tampa are probably right.

Shocker. What's next?

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2020 15:58]

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762023 is a reply to message #762022 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 15:56

Bob reporting that "It’s my understanding one NHL club has had to temporarily close its training facilities during Phase Two because multiple players and some staff have tested positive for Covid-19."

Given the 7000+ cases Florida had between Wednesday and Thursday, I think the rumors that it's Tampa are probably right.

Shocker. What's next?

Tampa Bay Lightning have confirmed it is them with the positive tests. Now they have to self-isolate. None of the players are showing much for symptoms at this point, so as long as they recover, then nothing really happens and this story just dies off.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762024 is a reply to message #762023 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 16:02

Shocker. What's next?

Tampa Bay Lightning have confirmed it is them with the positive tests. Now they have to self-isolate. None of the players are showing much for symptoms at this point, so as long as they recover, then nothing really happens and this story just dies off.

Philadelphia Phillies also training on the Tampa area have cases as well. Today the NHL, NFL, PGA, and MLB have had athletes test positive. I think I'd be surprised if this is the last we hear of athletes testing positive.

(Anticipating at least some out of Texas, tbh).

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762025 is a reply to message #762023 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Shocker. What's next?

Sure it dies off for now, but what are the odds we get the 3 months of playoffs without this happening to another team? I guess we just have to cross our fingers.

Friggin Florida

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762026 is a reply to message #762025 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 16:16

Shocker. What's next?

Sure it dies off for now, but what are the odds we get the 3 months of playoffs without this happening to another team? I guess we just have to cross our fingers.

Friggin Florida

Seriously, who is the genius that decided to have the blue jays practicing in florida?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-blue-jays-close -dunedin-facility-player-shows-covid-19-symptoms/

I'm sure this is what they do every year...but...some outside the box thinking may have been a good idea this time around.

Just to note, I don't get a crap about the blue jays :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762027 is a reply to message #762025 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Shocker. What's next?

Friggin Florida

There was always the best chance of people testing positive now. Once the bubble is established, the key will be maintaining it. To this point, the players have been out in the wild still to an extent. Once they're established in a hub, as long as everyone is following the rules, the risks should be relatively low.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762028 is a reply to message #762027 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 16:26

Shocker. What's next?

Friggin Florida

There was always the best chance of people testing positive now. Once the bubble is established, the key will be maintaining it. To this point, the players have been out in the wild still to an extent. Once they're established in a hub, as long as everyone is following the rules, the risks should be relatively low.

I feel like you're underestimating a COVID-19 immune Auston Matthews. Gonna be V-necks, short shorts and mustaches from off the streets partying in that bubble like there is no tomorrow, mooning anyone that dares try to stop them.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762030 is a reply to message #762028 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

I think you mean short jorts.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762036 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Reports that 11 NHL players have COVID-19, done on 200 tests.

Only named player is Auston Matthews, thanks for Steve Simmons.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762135 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Okay - this is just weird. I'd joked that they would make a Dany Heatley-esque video, I didn't think they'd actually do it.

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1275133805880197120

Somehow, I don't think this is going to move the needle one bit.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762138 is a reply to message #762135 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 June 2020 15:18

Okay - this is just weird. I'd joked that they would make a Dany Heatley-esque video, I didn't think they'd actually do it.

Good grief, Adam, that's a standard Travel AB video, with some script overlay. Oh, the humanity!!!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762142 is a reply to message #762138 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 22 June 2020 15:29

Good grief, Adam, that's a standard Travel AB video, with some script overlay. Oh, the humanity!!!

Literally what the government posted today. That's a tweet from the Premier.

I'm not saying they spent money on it - good god, I hope they just used stock footage they already have (although there's a good chance they still have to pay something), but it's just a really really lame video that doesn't actually highlight ANYTHING ABOUT EDMONTON. They've since come out and said that they are thinking this would be good for families of players who want to do road trips, but they sure as heck didn't say that in the video.

I get that you feel personally attacked whenever I mention anything from the Premier - you shouldn't. It's not about you. Objectively, do you think this tweet and video do anything to make the NHL decide they need to be in Edmonton? And if not, then what's the point, exactly?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762171 is a reply to message #762142 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 June 2020 15:55

I'm not saying they spent money on it - good god, I hope they just used stock footage they already have (although there's a good chance they still have to pay something), but it's just a really really lame video that doesn't actually highlight ANYTHING ABOUT EDMONTON. They've since come out and said that they are thinking this would be good for families of players who want to do road trips, but they sure as heck didn't say that in the video.

I get that you feel personally attacked whenever I mention anything from the Premier - you shouldn't. It's not about you. Objectively, do you think this tweet and video do anything to make the NHL decide they need to be in Edmonton? And if not, then what's the point, exactly?

Do you really believe that a tweet was a sell job to the league? C'mon, fixate on something legit at least. Just not worth a comment imo, plain and simple, but fill your boots, Adam. 🤣🤣

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762172 is a reply to message #762171 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 22 June 2020 23:34

Do you really believe that a tweet was a sell job to the league? C'mon, fixate on something legit at least. Just not worth a comment imo, plain and simple, but fill your boots, Adam. 🤣🤣

It's being panned pretty widely. It doesn't matter though, the hub ship has sailed for Edmonton.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762194 is a reply to message #762171 ]
Tue, 23 June 2020 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 22 June 2020 23:34

Do you believe that was a marketing coup? He's being roundly mocked.

Who do you think that was aimed at? We already have Travel Alberta commercials out there.

Who, right now, is seeing that and thinking - man, I really want to take a road trip to see the mountains in Edmonton!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762206 is a reply to message #762194 ]
Tue, 23 June 2020 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Good old Edmonton mountains... I like to call it 'A hill'.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762141 is a reply to message #762135 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Called it!

That was awesome. They should have added a McDavid silhouette or a partially faded-in McDavid over the mountain sky.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2020 15:51]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762154 is a reply to message #762135 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rishaug saying a big part of the appeal we're pushing is the players families being able to hang in Banff and other of the nicer areas in Edmonton.

Hope that video didn't cost too much to produce, but it probably did. Guessing some company pocketed a nice 50k or so for all their hard work of clipping together stock footage.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762165 is a reply to message #762154 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

It has the look of pre-made, with a “playoffs” superimposed, where “tourism” or “rockies” could be subbed in.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there were at least seven meetings and then 10 subcommittee meetings needed to decide on it. Which cost more than $50K. But nothing that hit the books.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762158 is a reply to message #762135 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This whole hub city promotion is getting REALLY weird. Like it was always pretty thirsty, but now it's getting weird.

Also - I can't think of a much more vicious way to throw shade on someplace than - on a promotional video encouraging people to go there - showing it for 4 seconds (and encouraging people to go elsewhere for the other 59).

The whole bid seems to have taken a very sharp turn from SAFETY! to DAYTRIPS! Of course, and it shouldn't have to be said, the more entrance/exit out of the bubble, the more mingling around the province, the more people those in the bubble come in contact with, the less secure the bubble is and the more risk they take on.

(Final thought: I'm really curious who will be footing the bill for these private tours and WAG expeditions).

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2020 17:39]

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762169 is a reply to message #762135 ]
Mon, 22 June 2020 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://twitter.com/search?q=Edmonton&src=trend_click

Lots of good stuff here right now

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762208 is a reply to message #762169 ]
Tue, 23 June 2020 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

If the NHL/players were truly all about safety, Edmonton would have been picked as a hub city long ago. Facilities wise, they have everything needed to do it and probably do it more safely than most given they have a huge, luxury hotel physically attached to the NHL rink and an NHL sized and and quality additional rink. Once inside, these guys wouldn't have to go anywhere to play or practice hockey which is massive. Vancouver who has low cases (which I call bs on) can't match the facilities. You have to bus these guys around from hotel to rinks. Same goes for anyone else.

Safety wise. Cases in Alberta, a place that could host the NHL compared to most in all of North America are very low and have been low the whole time. Vancouver is less but I call BS because they barely test. Testing wise, Alberta is testing way more per per capita than pretty much anywhere in the world. Edmonton from day 1 has been extremely low for cases and deaths and continues to be very low. The province has extremely low amounts of people using beds compared to how many available beds they have and has been since day 1. The province has been since day one ahead of most when it comes to securing PPE and have continued to be.

So if safety is truly the most important factor, then you factor in Edmonton's facilities for hockey, Edmonton should be the #1 pick and it shouldn't be close. But it's not. The fact that Vegas as an example is in the mix says it's not. Facilities wise, they can't match Edmonton for sure or any places. I question if they have enough rinks to pull it off easily. But safety wise, cases are spiking there. Hospitals are jammed, deaths are high. Yet they continue to be a front runner. So safety means squat to the NHL.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762210 is a reply to message #762208 ]
Tue, 23 June 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 23 June 2020 10:04

If the NHL/players were truly all about safety, Edmonton would have been picked as a hub city long ago. Facilities wise, they have everything needed to do it and probably do it more safely than most given they have a huge, luxury hotel physically attached to the NHL rink and an NHL sized and and quality additional rink. Once inside, these guys wouldn't have to go anywhere to play or practice hockey which is massive. Vancouver who has low cases (which I call bs on) can't match the facilities. You have to bus these guys around from hotel to rinks. Same goes for anyone else.

Safety wise. Cases in Alberta, a place that could host the NHL compared to most in all of North America are very low and have been low the whole time. Vancouver is less but I call BS because they barely test. Testing wise, Alberta is testing way more per per capita than pretty much anywhere in the world. Edmonton from day 1 has been extremely low for cases and deaths and continues to be very low. The province has extremely low amounts of people using beds compared to how many available beds they have and has been since day 1. The province has been since day one ahead of most when it comes to securing PPE and have continued to be.

So if safety is truly the most important factor, then you factor in Edmonton's facilities for hockey, Edmonton should be the #1 pick and it shouldn't be close. But it's not. The fact that Vegas as an example is in the mix says it's not. Facilities wise, they can't match Edmonton for sure or any places. I question if they have enough rinks to pull it off easily. But safety wise, cases are spiking there. Hospitals are jammed, deaths are high. Yet they continue to be a front runner. So safety means squat to the NHL.

To be fair. Is safety was #1, I guess it would be Vancouver and Winnipeg :)

Safety + facilities, I guess Vancouver and Edmonton.

I wouldn't say that Vancouver is hiding cases either. That would have burned them long ago. They caught stuff early, did their tracing, locked down care homes and things have just worked out pretty well. We were pretty darn close to pulling that off in Edmonton too!

[Updated on: Tue, 23 June 2020 10:08]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762214 is a reply to message #762210 ]
Tue, 23 June 2020 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 23 June 2020 10:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 23 June 2020 10:04

To be fair. Is safety was #1, I guess it would be Vancouver and Winnipeg :)

Safety + facilities, I guess Vancouver and Edmonton.

I wouldn't say that Vancouver is hiding cases either. That would have burned them long ago. They caught stuff early, did their tracing, locked down care homes and things have just worked out pretty well. We were pretty darn close to pulling that off in Edmonton too!

I think they have done a good job I just don't think their numbers are accurately show how many cases they have. Alberta is doing what per day, 7, 8, 9000 tests a day. Of course you are going to find more when you are doing that many. But that isn't the point. Both Edmonton and Vancouver should be at the top of the list if safety was indeed the governing factor. Edmonton at the top because they have a 2 NHL caliber rinks attached to a hotel luxury large enough to house all these guys. So they would never have to go outside and risk going out to get on a bus if needed.

But Vegas will get a site because it's Vegas. It's a sexy location, it's the newest NHL City. I bet they are giving free rooms so the NHL will ignore the fact that it's probable low on the list safety wise. I hope it doesn't cost them.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762508 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 25 June 2020 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Can report that Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health @CMOH_Alberta
has signed off fully on a Hub city health and safety plan presented to them by OEG. This plan I am told fully checks all of the boxes required by the NHL. 1/2...

2/2.. This includes protocols in the event of any positive tests during the event, as well as all details on the bubble concept and how to ensure its security. So whatever details are causing a snag in BC don’t appear to be holding up the Alberta bid in any way.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762510 is a reply to message #762508 ]
Thu, 25 June 2020 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 June 2020 12:26

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Can report that Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health @CMOH_Alberta
has signed off fully on a Hub city health and safety plan presented to them by OEG. This plan I am told fully checks all of the boxes required by the NHL. 1/2...

2/2.. This includes protocols in the event of any positive tests during the event, as well as all details on the bubble concept and how to ensure its security. So whatever details are causing a snag in BC don’t appear to be holding up the Alberta bid in any way.

I hope this isn't Alberta's solution to the "snag" in BC

Quote:

@richardzussman

The other issue is whether players and staff can be part of the same hub quarantine. The NHL is also interested in Ontario's policy where someone who tests positive and is asymptomatic can still go to work. This would not be the case in BC.

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/127617560508451635 2

Asymptomatic players still going to work doesn't seem to be in the best interest of player or public safety.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762511 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 25 June 2020 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I don't want this. 500 people who haven't proven they give damn about themselves or anyone else are just going to be let in? Pro athletes the last few weeks have proven they just don't care. Positive tests from every sport. Did you see the stupidity with Djokavic in Croatia?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762548 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 25 June 2020 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

And then there were 5:

Vancouver Canucks announce they will not be a hub city. Perhaps the "go to work even if you are asymptomatic" was a dealbreaker, and if so, good for them.

I'm so skeptical about the NHL / NHLPA prioritizing safety.

Las Vegas - record number of cases
( https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/c lark-county/nevada-adds-record-497-new-covid-19-cases-as-cla rk-county-adds-397-2060668/)

Los Angeles - record number of cases
( https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disneyland-reopening- delayed-1300312)

Chicago (can't find data for Chicago, though the state of Illionis has 894 new cases)
( https://abc7chicago.com/coronavirus-illinois-today-covid-19- cases-deaths/6268076/)

Edmonton (11 new cases, 237 active cases... although I guess technically we might have record numbers right now too)

Toronto (125-ish new cases, 1,967+ active cases... actively in decline)

Should have been Edmonton / Vancouver based on safety. I'm not sure Vancouver didn't put themselves out of the running by saying no to compromising on their health guidelines. We will see about Edmonton.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762557 is a reply to message #762548 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-hub-city-decision-could-come-today-if -decision-reached-1.1489762

Looks like it's down to us vs. TO for the second site after Vegas with CHI and LA as fallback options

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762558 is a reply to message #762557 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 10:12

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-hub-city-decision-could-come-today-if -decision-reached-1.1489762

Looks like it's down to us vs. TO for the second site after Vegas with CHI and LA as fallback options

The more I think about it, the less I want this to happen here. Not that I wanted it that badly to start with. If we're bending over so the NHL can have all kinds of special conditions (COVID-19 positive people can keep on working in the "bubble") and we're hard selling to players that their families can go frolicking around the tourist areas of the province... it's starting to sound like a pretty bad idea. If we don't care about COVID-19 people interacting in the bubble, are we caring about the family members coming and going? Doubt it. Seems like our government is just desperate at this point.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762559 is a reply to message #762558 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 10:42

The more I think about it, the less I want this to happen here. Not that I wanted it that badly to start with. If we're bending over so the NHL can have all kinds of special conditions (COVID-19 positive people can keep on working in the "bubble") and we're hard selling to players that their families can go frolicking around the tourist areas of the province... it's starting to sound like a pretty bad idea. If we don't care about COVID-19 people interacting in the bubble, are we caring about the family members coming and going? Doubt it. Seems like our government is just desperate at this point.

The NHL is just playing cities against each other to see who will relax the health restrictions the most. They are masquerading about safety, but is low on priorities. And to be honest, I think the NHLPA is as much or more to blame. It’s the players that are saying they don’t want to come to Edmonton, not the league. The video the government did was solely for the WAGs.

They can go elsewhere, I have no interest in playing their game. If they want to put the season in jeopardy by holding in in places that are surging with cases, that’s on them. I doubt the season concludes did they do.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 June 2020 11:42]

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762560 is a reply to message #762559 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 11:21

The NHL is just playing cities against each other to see who will relax the health restrictions the most. They are masquerading about safety, but is low on priorities. And to be honest, I think the NHLPA is as much or more to blame. It’s the players that are saying they don’t want to come to Edmonton, not the league. The video the government did was solely for the WAGs.

They can go elsewhere, I have no interest in playing their game. If they want to put the season in jeopardy by holding in in places that are surging with cases, that’s on them. I don’t the season concludes did they do.

I just wish we wouldn't prostrate ourselves for these things. It's embarrassing. To have the Premier talk about this as much as he has, publicly, knowing that the NHL isn't going to be very swayed by anything public, sets us up for failure. There's a chance we win it, but that effort isn't what will do it and if (when) we to kick sand in our face.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762561 is a reply to message #762559 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

They can go elsewhere, I have no interest in playing their game. If they want to put the season in jeopardy by holding in in places that are surging with cases, that’s on them. I doubt the season concludes did they do.

I would have strongly disagreed with this a week ago, but now I'm on board with everything you have said. Edmonton has more active cases than Calgary,and the bulk of the new cases have been people under 40. The virus is slowly but surely ebbing in Alberta, and the fewer temporary visitors from all over the world, the better for now.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762562 is a reply to message #762561 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 12:13

I would have strongly disagreed with this a week ago, but now I'm on board with everything you have said. Edmonton has more active cases than Calgary,and the bulk of the new cases have been people under 40. The virus is slowly but surely ebbing in Alberta, and the fewer temporary visitors from all over the world, the better for now.

I'll add my voice to the "no thank you" crowd. The last thing we need is Matthews rubbing his moustache on all the elevator buttons downtown.

Ideally what we want is a play-in team to win the lottery, and then Oil to lose in 3 to Chicago, win 1st pick and draft Lafreniere. Rebuild complete!

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition)
Next Topic:Lennstrom joins Oilers on one-year deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca