This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » McDavid out 2-3 weeksPages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754213 is a reply to message #754209 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

We still have Drai - the most underrated player in the league. The true MVP of the Oilers. He has been better then McDavid on a good many nights this year.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754214 is a reply to message #754209 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 13:10

https://oilersnation.com/2020/02/11/game-preview-56-0-edmont on-oilers-vs-chicago-blackhawks-7pm-mt-sportsnet/

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Archibald-Sheahan-Kassian
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

These were the lines yesterday at practice,will look something like this tonight.

#Depth

I actually don't hate that McDavidless line up as much as I did during his previous injuries.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754218 is a reply to message #754214 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

We should probably call MacT, so he can call Hemsky out of retirement.

#problemsolved
#boxchecked

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754219 is a reply to message #754218 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Maybe the injury to McDavid will force others to find a way to step up their games rather then just defer to McDavid.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754221 is a reply to message #754219 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:07

Maybe the injury to McDavid will force others to find a way to step up their games rather then just defer to McDavid.

Do you think this team just defers to McDavid or just plainly needs McDavid? I know other teams can handle missing their star players for extended stretches. Personally I don't think we are one of those teams yet. Thankfully we have a dominant line, but it will be interesting to see how they do now that the opposition can single them out. If they falter, then how long until they get pulled apart into a line blender?

Dammit....I jut logged onto the site to see the projected lineups for tonight. I was having such a good day.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754241 is a reply to message #754221 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:11

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:07

Do you think this team just defers to McDavid or just plainly needs McDavid? I know other teams can handle missing their star players for extended stretches. Personally I don't think we are one of those teams yet. Thankfully we have a dominant line, but it will be interesting to see how they do now that the opposition can single them out. If they falter, then how long until they get pulled apart into a line blender?

Dammit....I jut logged onto the site to see the projected lineups for tonight. I was having such a good day.

I think it's a bit of both. I do think the team stands back a bit in the hopes McDavid will just do something but long term they also need him badly.

For a short stretch, if they get good goaltending and more importantly, they have to play tight, defensive hockey. They could survive. But they are going to have to buckle down and tighten up big time.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754222 is a reply to message #754219 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I'd like this team more if that happened.

Frankly, that documentary made me think that McDavid is too much of a company-man, for my liking... and I'm kind of pro company-man.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754227 is a reply to message #754214 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 13:51

https://oilersnation.com/2020/02/11/game-preview-56-0-edmont on-oilers-vs-chicago-blackhawks-7pm-mt-sportsnet/

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

These were the lines yesterday at practice,will look something like this tonight.

#Depth

I actually don't hate that McDavidless line up as much as I did during his previous injuries.

Good lord. The centers...ugh.

I don't love that he's flying back to Toronto to deal with "his people" on this. That sounds ominous.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754232 is a reply to message #754227 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

McDavid is just going to the Weapon X clinic to see what's going on with his healing factor:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Marvelwolverine.jpg

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754240 is a reply to message #754232 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:21

McDavid is just going to the Weapon X clinic to see what's going on with his healing factor:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered whether HGH was part of the miracle recovery McDavid made last summer. He wouldn't have been the first to do so if he did.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754244 is a reply to message #754240 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:27

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered whether HGH was part of the miracle recovery McDavid made last summer. He wouldn't have been the first to do so if he did.

An admantium exoskeleton would be a nice addition to his game. The extra weight would make him a nice net front presence.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754273 is a reply to message #754240 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:27

I really don't need an excuse to hate/b!t(h about this team, but yeah, the miracle recovery thing is nothing short of ridiculous.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754235 is a reply to message #754227 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:17

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

#Depth

I don't love that he's flying back to Toronto to deal with "his people" on this. That sounds ominous.

I guess we all have 'family' doctors we trust and respect. Here is hoping McDavid is going to the doctor and recovery team that he trusts best. I do agree that this does sound very sketchy at best.

Why can't we have and keep nice things?

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754236 is a reply to message #754227 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

#Depth

Draisaitl is a good center and I've been enjoying watching Sheahan play lately. Haas and Cave, well, whatever. Draisaitl will double shift and Nuge can take the odd draw.

I'm glad he's going back to Toronto to deal with his people. Edmonton's people probably aren't worthy of our trust.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754242 is a reply to message #754236 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:23

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

#Depth

Draisaitl is a good center and I've been enjoying watching Sheahan play lately. Haas and Cave, well, whatever. Draisaitl will double shift and Nuge can take the odd draw.

I'm glad he's going back to Toronto to deal with his people. Edmonton's people probably aren't worthy of our trust.

Well aren't you uncharacteristically chipper! You must really enjoy the chaos that comes with an irate Edmonton Oilers press corps!

Extra advantage for the Oilers and McDavid with taking him to Toronto - there's no way that the Oilers media can ever get any updates on him if he's that far away! And the Toronto media is too busy fabricating hot dog stories and DMing girls on twitter to bother investigating either!

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754262 is a reply to message #754242 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:28

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

#Depth

Well aren't you uncharacteristically chipper! You must really enjoy the chaos that comes with an irate Edmonton Oilers press corps!

Extra advantage for the Oilers and McDavid with taking him to Toronto - there's no way that the Oilers media can ever get any updates on him if he's that far away! And the Toronto media is too busy fabricating hot dog stories and DMing girls on twitter to bother investigating either!

I'd be lying if I didn't say the Edmonton sports media hyperventilating about not being treated as proper public relations donkeys wasn't enjoyable.

I think this was always going to be a middling season for the Oilers so they're kind of playing with house money right now. It is an opportunity for anyone in the bottom 21 to show their value going forward when the Oilers *could* become a legitimate contender. I kind of wish this happened before Kassian and Nurse we signed, but whatever.

Did you know crisis and opportunity are the same word in standard mandarin? I think it's pronounced kor-una

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754265 is a reply to message #754262 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:47

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

#Depth

I'd be lying if I didn't say the Edmonton sports media hyperventilating about not being treated as proper public relations donkeys wasn't enjoyable.

I think this was always going to be a middling season for the Oilers so they're kind of playing with house money right now. It is an opportunity for anyone in the bottom 21 to show their value going forward when the Oilers *could* become a legitimate contender. I kind of wish this happened before Kassian and Nurse we signed, but whatever.

Did you know crisis and opportunity are the same word in standard mandarin? I think it's pronounced kor-una

Ah, like "bruise" and "quadriceps injury with a 2-3 week recovery timeline" in English.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754266 is a reply to message #754262 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 15:47

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

#Depth

I thought that was a virus? Kor-una virus. *crickets*

I’ve proclaimed my liking Sheahan on here plenty. I don’t mind those lines and think Kass with Sheahan and Archibald could be pretty darn good.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754276 is a reply to message #754266 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:52

I’ve proclaimed my liking Sheahan on here plenty. I don’t mind those lines and think Kass with Sheahan and Archibald could be pretty darn good.

When you put it that way it just sounds like after a couple of weeks of stronger play, the Oilers have promoted Riley Sheahan to the top unit to play with Connor's preferred wingers.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754277 is a reply to message #754276 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 16:39

When you put it that way it just sounds like after a couple of weeks of stronger play, the Oilers have promoted Riley Sheahan to the top unit to play with Connor's preferred wingers.

If he can duplicate that 4 point game a few times over the next few weeks... ha. In all seriousness he’s one guy I’m looking to for this period we’re without 97. His defensive game can maybe keep things 1-1, 2-2 and push the team into overtime situations where maybe the scrape out the second point.

Looking at it, it really makes it obvious how badly Connor could use two external line mates.

Nuge-Drai-Yam = darn good second line
Arch-Sheahan-Kass = possibly good third line

Guess we’re missing a good 4th line also ha. Sigh.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754278 is a reply to message #754277 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 15:48

If he can duplicate that 4 point game a few times over the next few weeks... ha. In all seriousness he’s one guy I’m looking to for this period we’re without 97. His defensive game can maybe keep things 1-1, 2-2 and push the team into overtime situations where maybe the scrape out the second point.

Looking at it, it really makes it obvious how badly Connor could use two external line mates.

First line wingers? Hall and Eberle!

It's 2020, who cares about a 4th line? League minimum and disposable.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754279 is a reply to message #754277 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

We've got the pieces for a 4th line too. Gagner's no slouch. Khaira, as much as he always annoys people here is your normal 4th line player - someone you hope could move up, but doesn't sustain play at that level. If Neal's in the lineup than Archibald can move down. Nygard isn't a terrible fourth liner either. I also like the fourth line for breaking in good players who you think can eventually move up the lineup. If Benson's NHL ready, I don't hate giving him 4th line minutes against 4th line opponents and seeing if he can out-play them.

Really, it's just the high-end wingers we need. And we could make do with even just one.

Well, that and a goalie...without a reliable netminder, it's hard to imagine the Oilers going deep in the playoffs no matter what. We'd need a Michael Leighton-type performance out of Smith or Koskinen...

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754281 is a reply to message #754279 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 16:53

We've got the pieces for a 4th line too. Gagner's no slouch. Khaira, as much as he always annoys people here is your normal 4th line player - someone you hope could move up, but doesn't sustain play at that level. If Neal's in the lineup than Archibald can move down. Nygard isn't a terrible fourth liner either. I also like the fourth line for breaking in good players who you think can eventually move up the lineup. If Benson's NHL ready, I don't hate giving him 4th line minutes against 4th line opponents and seeing if he can out-play them.

Really, it's just the high-end wingers we need. And we could make do with even just one.

Well, that and a goalie...without a reliable netminder, it's hard to imagine the Oilers going deep in the playoffs no matter what. We'd need a Michael Leighton-type performance out of Smith or Koskinen...

That’s a good point, though a 4th line C would be a benefit, an above average faceoff man. I forgot about Neal and Nygard. That injury bug man.

Also, regarding goalies, I’m of the belief that Smith is relied upon heavily over this next while over Koskinen.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754291 is a reply to message #754281 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 15:57

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 16:53

That’s a good point, though a 4th line C would be a benefit, an above average faceoff man. I forgot about Neal and Nygard. That injury bug man.

Also, regarding goalies, I’m of the belief that Smith is relied upon heavily over this next while over Koskinen.

Smith's stats continue to be horrible on the season.

The team has outscored some truly horrendous performances by him. He's up past .900 finally...all the way up to .901 today. Despite the fact he's won some lately, he remains one of the worst starting goalies in the league.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754321 is a reply to message #754291 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 16:24

The team has outscored some truly horrendous performances by him. He's up past .900 finally...all the way up to .901 today. Despite the fact he's won some lately, he remains one of the worst starting goalies in the league.

Let's be at least a bit fair: it's not like Smith or Koski have been playing behind a stellar defence. They hemorrhage primo scoring chances on a regular basis, and a goalie would have to be a Cujo-like game-stealer to maintain any decent stats in that situation.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754349 is a reply to message #754321 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 20:20

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 16:24

Let's be at least a bit fair: it's not like Smith or Koski have been playing behind a stellar defence. They hemorrhage primo scoring chances on a regular basis, and a goalie would have to be a Cujo-like game-stealer to maintain any decent stats in that situation.

Two things:

1) I actually think this is the best defence corps the Oilers have fielded in years. Bear's emergence gives us an actual top-four, even allowing for some decline for Adam Larsson. The bottom pairing isn't awful either - I like it better without Kris Russell and think he's probably become expendable now.

2) I wonder how CuJo fares in an advanced stats world. He was so chaotic in the nets. Big saves, but some of those came because he had thrown himself out of position, and scrambled to get back. If you watch the best goalies in the league now, there's so little chaos in their game. They're big, they're patient, they cover the angles and as a result, there are less saves that look phenomenal, but more saves overall. My guess is that if you looked back at CuJo with that lens, he wouldn't be a top goalie in the league...which makes sense given he never won more than a series or two in the playoffs. Career save percentage of .906...and he played at a similar time to the best goalie of all-time - Dominik Hasek who had sv% of 0.922...Hasek also had some level of chaos, but he stopped the puck all the time.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754228 is a reply to message #754209 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 12:10

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

How do we not move RNH back to C for these weeks? I get it that the DRY line has been great, but that center depth is ... yeesh. I would also consider bringing up Granlund again in place of Russell or Cave.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754231 is a reply to message #754228 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dr. Oil wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 14:18

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 12:10

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Gagner-Haas-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-P.Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning

Smith

How do we not move RNH back to C for these weeks? I get it that the DRY line has been great, but that center depth is ... yeesh. I would also consider bringing up Granlund again in place of Russell or Cave.

Doctor Oil! What do you know about QUAD injuries? What would show up on an MRI that they'd definitely understand the problem and the injury and know exactly what it is?

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754348 is a reply to message #754231 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 13:21

Doctor Oil! What do you know about QUAD injuries? What would show up on an MRI that they'd definitely understand the problem and the injury and know exactly what it is?

I assume they saw a hematoma -- a localized collection of blood within or surrounding the muscle. Basically an internal bruise of sorts, where the blood collects in one area and can't escape. This is my non-orthopaedic surgeon or radiologist quick guess.

An MRI would also be able to identify a TORN muscle, or torn ligaments as was the case after Kneeordano sunk him last year. Unlikely they'd be saying 2-3 weeks if one of these things was the case.

I am 100% on board with 97 going back to Ontario and consulting with whomever guided his superhuman rehab efforts over the summer, regardless of what the actual injury is. And I would hand deliver the HGH to him if that's what he needs to come back quicker. weights

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754350 is a reply to message #754348 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dr. Oil wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 23:55

I assume they saw a hematoma -- a localized collection of blood within or surrounding the muscle. Basically an internal bruise of sorts, where the blood collects in one area and can't escape. This is my non-orthopaedic surgeon or radiologist quick guess.

An MRI would also be able to identify a TORN muscle, or torn ligaments as was the case after Kneeordano sunk him last year. Unlikely they'd be saying 2-3 weeks if one of these things was the case.

I am 100% on board with 97 going back to Ontario and consulting with whomever guided his superhuman rehab efforts over the summer, regardless of what the actual injury is. And I would hand deliver the HGH to him if that's what he needs to come back quicker. weights

Thanks Doc!

Also - agreed. I'm willing to allow McDavid the HGH-based recovery, so long as it doesn't completely dash my dreams of the Oilers someday winning a Cup again...

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754357 is a reply to message #754350 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 00:22

Dr. Oil wrote on Tue, 11 February 2020 23:55

Thanks Doc!

Also - agreed. I'm willing to allow McDavid the HGH-based recovery, so long as it doesn't completely dash my dreams of the Oilers someday winning a Cup again...

Uh guys I’m pretty sure it was McDavid’s girlfriend who needed the HGH.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754260 is a reply to message #754160 ]
Tue, 11 February 2020 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Quote:

Holland ruled out McDavid for Tuesday’s game as well as the Oilers’ upcoming three-game road trip, but added that he hoped McDavid would heal quickly and be able to return a little sooner than the stated 2-3 week timeline. He added that a bonus of doing the MRI was getting a chance to look at McDavid’s previously injured knee and finding that everything there was still in good shape.

As stated, the news is unabashedly good. A quadriceps injury isn’t connected to McDavid’s serious knee injury suffered last year, shouldn’t keep him out of the lineup for a significant length of time and won’t be a concern going forward.

Of course, what happened last year was that swelling obscured the severity of McDavid’s injury, and what was initially seen as a relatively minor problem turned out to be something far more significant once doctors got a better look at it. Holland was adamant that there was no potential to repeat that in this case when he was asked about the possibility of surgery.

“No, no, no, no, no,” Holland said, firing the words off rapidly. “He’s 2-3 weeks. That’s a normal timeline for this injury. We’re hoping it can be a little bit less. No surgery. It’s an injury significant enough that he’s going to miss games but it’s not long term. We don’t expect, as (TSN’s) Ryan (Rishaug) asked, that we’ll double back a week from now and find it’s more serious.

“We know what it is. It’s a quad injury. It’s going to heal, it just needs some time for treatment.”

As per The Athletic

Effin Rishaug.....shaddap

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754358 is a reply to message #754260 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I’ve always been curious to see what would happen if the under-producing support staff on Connor McDavid Oilers’ teams were given more playing time.

Connon and Leon play a lot, one of the reasons their linemates get so many points, is because they also pay a lot of minutes.

With more even time distribution, I wonder if the under performing support staff reverts to their past performance, or bettet?

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754360 is a reply to message #754260 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If it's a deep bruise which I am guessing it is, you have to let it heal simple as that. It wouldn't shock me if he could skate with no contact like he did on Monday. He did the PP part of the practice and I doubt they just leisurely skated around. It was probably hardish skating but no one is leaning on your or pushing you or wacking you and you aren't going 100% like you do in a game. So playing would be out. Gregor on his show said he saw McDavid walking and he wasn't limping what so ever. So if there was a tear, he's limp or it would be braced.

My guess is the 2-3 weeks is the worst case scenario and he will be back sooner especially since they aren't messing around and sending him to Ontario to get back with his rehab team that did magic with his knee. With the media and their expectation that the Oilers do their job for them, I am sure it's better to be cautious and give worst case so if/when he comes back it looks better. God forbid with the Edmonton media they miss his return date by a couple of days. The media just wants to assume the worst and prefers to report on bad stuff for click bait so they start talking tear. I was at the game, I saw him go down. He didn't miss a shift, finished the game and within a few shifts after he went down, he blew by some Preds. I am no doctor but if you had a tear in your quad, I don't care how tough you are, you aren't blowing by guys.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 February 2020 08:26]

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754362 is a reply to message #754360 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 08:24

If it's a deep bruise which I am guessing it is, you have to let it heal simple as that. It wouldn't shock me if he could skate with no contact like he did on Monday. He did the PP part of the practice and I doubt they just leisurely skated around. It was probably hardish skating but no one is leaning on your or pushing you or wacking you and you aren't going 100% like you do in a game. So playing would be out. Gregor on his show said he saw McDavid walking and he wasn't limping what so ever. So if there was a tear, he's limp or it would be braced.

My guess is the 2-3 weeks is the worst case scenario and he will be back sooner especially since they aren't messing around and sending him to Ontario to get back with his rehab team that did magic with his knee. With the media and their expectation that the Oilers do their job for them, I am sure it's better to be cautious and give worst case so if/when he comes back it looks better. God forbid with the Edmonton media they miss his return date by a couple of days. The media just wants to assume the worst and prefers to report on bad stuff for click bait so they start talking tear. I was at the game, I saw him go down. He didn't miss a shift, finished the game and within a few shifts after he went down, he blew by some Preds. I am no doctor but if you had a tear in your quad, I don't care how tough you are, you aren't blowing by guys.

Are you not the same poster who argued until he was blue in the face that everyone citing any concerns about McDavid's knee this summer was completely out to lunch and paranoid, because everything was really just fine and we'd probably know if it wasn't?

You lack credibility on this. I think the Oilers have earned the skepticism.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754363 is a reply to message #754362 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 08:37

Are you not the same poster who argued until he was blue in the face that everyone citing any concerns about McDavid's knee this summer was completely out to lunch and paranoid, because everything was really just fine and we'd probably know if it wasn't?

Thank you for calling me out on something I said 9 months ago because I made an opinion on something based on the information I had at the time. Many months later when new information came out, information I had no way of knowing, it was incorrect. I forgot you are always right and know everything. Have a nice day.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 February 2020 08:54]

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754364 is a reply to message #754363 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 08:52

Have a nice day.

Do you really mean that?
icon_biggrin

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754370 is a reply to message #754363 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/X6G2DENyEwy52Gn7I75NIjg9cKshMFUqttlGzpNamflREZp-Qcot8DWAk_wHr88cQmkHf8mHwAIE2WTtZd1MEP33Ef_XNuLF5sl4kzOlhPb4S5XKE9piIsCjgAfB2HqS-0LA-88z9AWS4D2VUfCne7prSD7Q9Da_YQQ

"You see guys? He even SAID it was only a flesh wound! Why would he lie about that?"

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754372 is a reply to message #754363 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 08:52

Thank you for calling me out on something I said 9 months ago because I made an opinion on something based on the information I had at the time. Many months later when new information came out, information I had no way of knowing, it was incorrect. I forgot you are always right and know everything. Have a nice day.

The point is, you take everything at face-value from the Oilers org, when they've fed us healthy doses of lies and obvious self-serving slants, for years (up to and including, pretending to move the team).

It would be nice if you would see through something for once, and to admit that everything isn't always on the up and up, or at least be open to it. When the Oilers say the sky is blue, anyone with a little bit of objectivity will have to ask, why are they telling me it's blue? Could they be lying? Why would they lie? That has to be at least a secondary instinct, when dealing with this group.

Now, Ken Holland has to deal with the past lie. He's getting questioned regularly on whether health reports are real, etc. His credibility is damaged by association. He came on as management and right away, they are like: so hey, we hired you to work with the best player in the league, but get this, he's injured really badly! We didn't tell you because we wanted to get you to work for us, oh and can you keep the secret we kept from you as a secret, yeah, thanks. Welcome aboard! You pissed? No? K cool, yeah if anyone asks Connor's fine. It's a lie, but not a bad one right? Right.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754373 is a reply to message #754372 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 10:05

The point is, you take everything at face-value from the Oilers org, when they've fed us healthy doses of lies and obvious self-serving slants, for years (up to and including, pretending to move the team).

It would be nice if you would see through something for once, and to admit that everything isn't always on the up and up, or at least be open to it. When the Oilers say the sky is blue, anyone with a little bit of objectivity will have to ask, why are they telling me it's blue? Could they be lying? Why would they lie? That has to be at least a secondary instinct, when dealing with this group.

Now, Ken Holland has to deal with the past lie. He's getting questioned regularly on whether health reports are real, etc. His credibility is damaged by association. He came on as management and right away, they are like: so hey, we hired you to work with the best player in the league, but get this, he's injured really badly! We didn't tell you because we wanted to get you to work for us, oh and can you keep the secret we kept from you as a secret, yeah, thanks. Welcome aboard! You pissed? No? K cool, yeah if anyone asks Connor's fine. It's a lie, but not a bad one right? Right.

Bang on Mags. The org has lied to use in ways that would make most fans turn away. We're a blue collar town that appreciates the up and up but we also understand downplaying is necessary, what we do not accept is being lied to. The org cannot be surprised that we are all suspecting the Oilers aren't being transparent with anything they say about Connor or the team for that matter, and we would be fools to take whatever they say as face value without giving them the side eye.

There is no trust between the team and its fans, there is hope (they hope what they say we take, and we hope that what they say is true).

The fact Connor is flying home to see his doctors should be a red flag. We hope it's just a bruised quad, but realistically we feel in our heart of hearts it could be much worse.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McDavid out 2-3 weeks [message #754403 is a reply to message #754363 ]
Wed, 12 February 2020 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 09:52

Just when I think you cant out crazy yourself you double down on the self contradiction and shameless self promoting while somehow at the same time believing everything the Oilers shove down your throat.

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 09:52

I made an opinion on something based on the information I had at the time.

You dont make options, you regurgitate something that was told to you by the team. As usual you ignore all history, evidence or knowledge that contradicts the opinion you want to be true.

If anything the McDavid injury, this past summer and then the doc show that the Oilers were 100% hiding things, 100% self serving and still cant be trusted on any public info they share.

You were VERY angry at anyone that suggested the Oilers might be underselling the injury to McDavid. Even suggesting many of us were bad fans and hoping for worse or for the Oilers to fail just to be right.
You are also the same guy that repeatedly pats himself on the back the one in 25 times you get something right.

Sometimes it is ok to be wrong. You simply need to accept it, learn and be better.

I also hope you have a great day, even though history shows that is how you end a post when you are dead wrong and dont know what else to say because taking your ball and going home isnt an option.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #61)
Next Topic:Review: Boston @ Edmonton (Game #60)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca