This day on April 17
None

Happy Birthday To: blackgold, Doug, M00se, taisuke, oilfan2523, OilFans, EDM_oilfan6690, Darcy_183, tgdoctor

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750519]
Thu, 02 January 2020 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Buffalo to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2019-20 Regular Season
Sunday, December 8, 2019Buffalo 3 @ Edmonton 2 (OT)Loss
Thursday, January 2, 2020Edmonton 2 @ Buffalo 3 (OT)Loss
Home Record: 0-0-1       Road Record: 0-0-1       Overall Record: 0-0-2
Home / Road Goals For: 2/2 Total: 4
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/3 Total: 6

2018-19 Regular Season
Monday, January 14, 2019Buffalo 2 @ Edmonton 7Win
Monday, March 4, 2019Edmonton 4 @ Buffalo 3Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 7/4 Total: 11
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/3 Total: 5

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750521 is a reply to message #750519 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Payback.

MUST WIN!

Sure hope Klef is in.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750524 is a reply to message #750519 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

uhhh I'm not so up on the Oil.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750526 is a reply to message #750519 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

It’s a 2020 miracle! Klef is on the ice.

Via Jonathan Willis on the Twitter;
Oilers lines appear to be:

18 - 97 - 44
29 - 93 - 56
10 - 91 - 39
16 - 23 - 15

77 - 74
25 - 4
84 - 6

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750529 is a reply to message #750526 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 10:38

18 - 97 - 44
29 - 93 - 56
10 - 91 - 39
16 - 23 - 15

77 - 74
25 - 4
84 - 6

Translation to names VS numbers VIA Leavins ;

KOSKINEN

NEAL – McDAVID – KASSIAN

DRAISAITL – NUGENT-HOPKINS – YAMAMOTO

NYGARD – HASS – CHIASSON

KHAIRA – SHEAHAN – ARCHIBALD

LAGESSON – LARSSON

KLEFBOM – BEAR

NURSE – RUSSELL

SCRATCHES – Smith, Gagner, Jones, Benning (IR).

Interesting that it is Gagner coming out but it makes snse. I thought he had an AWFUL last two periods. The whole team was bad but he stood out as worse which took some serious suckage.

Given all the excitement last game not much was said of Yamamoto. I thought he had a pretty good game. Didnt look out of place. Wasnt dominated on the boards. Had a couple of good chances.
Capped that off with earning trust in the dying moments with the Rags goalie pulled, and scoring on an empty net.

I am still not sure if Tippett is the coaching savior of this team, but I am glad to see him give opportunity as it is earned. Coaches in the past would have written in stone who would be in certain situations and ride that out until death.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750531 is a reply to message #750529 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 10:00

18 - 97 - 44
29 - 93 - 56
10 - 91 - 39
16 - 23 - 15

77 - 74
25 - 4
84 - 6

KOSKINEN

NEAL – McDAVID – KASSIAN

NYGARD – HASS – CHIASSON

LAGESSON – LARSSON

KLEFBOM – BEAR

NURSE – RUSSELL

Interesting that it is Gagner coming out but it makes snse. I thought he had an AWFUL last two periods. The whole team was bad but he stood out as worse which took some serious suckage.

Given all the excitement last game not much was said of Yamamoto. I thought he had a pretty good game. Didnt look out of place. Wasnt dominated on the boards. Had a couple of good chances.
Capped that off with earning trust in the dying moments with the Rags goalie pulled, and scoring on an empty net.

I am still not sure if Tippett is the coaching savior of this team, but I am glad to see him give opportunity as it is earned. Coaches in the past would have written in stone who would be in certain situations and ride that out until death.

Yamamoto played the least minutes of anyone, but he had a good chance on Lundqvist (the only good chance on Lundqvist), and he made a nice play at the end. I was wondering whether Tippett expected the goalie to be pulled that early, as I don't think Yamamoto and Khaira would have normally been the first choice of late defenders, and they weren't playing on the same line for most of the game - Nygard was playing with Draisaitl and Yamamoto. I don't think Draisaitl was on the ice for the EN either.

Lagesson was used very sparingly on defence (11:51) - much less than Jones has been, so I'm a little surprised he's back in for a second game. Hopefully he's earned some additional trust from his coach. Klefbom was on pace for a HUGE game for time on ice - he was at 20:22 before he left, and I don't think he saw much third period ice time at all.

Generally, I think Tippett's been okay. I think he's been dealt a tough hand - the GM gave him a lineup that's decidedly inferior. Multiple pieces added, but almost none of them looks NHL quality with the sole exception perhaps of Haas. The goaltending, despite an early hot start, is below average with a backup who's among the league's worst. I've been hard on the decision to sit Gagner so much, but he hasn't grabbed the ball when he has been given a shot...maybe he's really past his prime now - he definitely can't drive a line when his linemates are scrubs. It's truly hard to believe that this is a salary cap team. That might be the most damning thing about the Oilers over the last dozen years. I saw a stat the other day that they had taken the least amount of points over the entire decade...but at least if you were a fan of the other teams close - Arizona, Buffalo - you could blame ownership refusing to spend on the team. The Oilers, other than a couple years back, were cap teams all the way, and just frivolously spent the money without any results from it.

Anyhow, with Tippett, I do think a big piece of it is goaltending. Good goalies make a coach look brilliant (see Nolan, Ted) and bad goalies can ruin even the best preparation and planning. If we can't get a save, we're going to be hard-pressed to make a playoff push no matter what the coach does.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750536 is a reply to message #750531 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 11:44

18 - 97 - 44
29 - 93 - 56
10 - 91 - 39
16 - 23 - 15

77 - 74
25 - 4
84 - 6

KOSKINEN

NEAL – McDAVID – KASSIAN

NYGARD – HASS – CHIASSON

LAGESSON – LARSSON

KLEFBOM – BEAR

NURSE – RUSSELL

Yamamoto played the least minutes of anyone, but he had a good chance on Lundqvist (the only good chance on Lundqvist), and he made a nice play at the end. I was wondering whether Tippett expected the goalie to be pulled that early, as I don't think Yamamoto and Khaira would have normally been the first choice of late defenders, and they weren't playing on the same line for most of the game - Nygard was playing with Draisaitl and Yamamoto. I don't think Draisaitl was on the ice for the EN either.

Lagesson was used very sparingly on defence (11:51) - much less than Jones has been, so I'm a little surprised he's back in for a second game. Hopefully he's earned some additional trust from his coach. Klefbom was on pace for a HUGE game for time on ice - he was at 20:22 before he left, and I don't think he saw much third period ice time at all.

Generally, I think Tippett's been okay. I think he's been dealt a tough hand - the GM gave him a lineup that's decidedly inferior. Multiple pieces added, but almost none of them looks NHL quality with the sole exception perhaps of Haas. The goaltending, despite an early hot start, is below average with a backup who's among the league's worst. I've been hard on the decision to sit Gagner so much, but he hasn't grabbed the ball when he has been given a shot...maybe he's really past his prime now - he definitely can't drive a line when his linemates are scrubs. It's truly hard to believe that this is a salary cap team. That might be the most damning thing about the Oilers over the last dozen years. I saw a stat the other day that they had taken the least amount of points over the entire decade...but at least if you were a fan of the other teams close - Arizona, Buffalo - you could blame ownership refusing to spend on the team. The Oilers, other than a couple years back, were cap teams all the way, and just frivolously spent the money without any results from it.

Anyhow, with Tippett, I do think a big piece of it is goaltending. Good goalies make a coach look brilliant (see Nolan, Ted) and bad goalies can ruin even the best preparation and planning. If we can't get a save, we're going to be hard-pressed to make a playoff push no matter what the coach does.

Agree with all of this for the most part.
RE Yamo. All I wanted from him was to avoid mistakes and looking like a fish out of water. Yes, he had the least minutes but each shift he either did something positive or didnt have much effect. As long as his overall contribution is a positive I see it as an up arrow in his dev.

RE Lagesson. I was trying to watch Yamo closely and didnt see much of Lag. I notice over the top errors which is a good thing for a young D man getting his first taste.

RE Gagner. He is just one of a number of replaceable pieces. Given his age, experience and previous run on the team his name garners more interest but I expect him to be phased out sooner than later. If this team didnt have so many JAG's already I have no doubt he would be cast off permanently.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750533 is a reply to message #750529 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Lowetide says Koskinen has been feeling under the weather. A sick Koskinen or a shaky Smith - such great choices.

Oiler management and Tippett are showing a lot of confidence in Yamamoto. I hope he does well.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750543 is a reply to message #750529 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

18 - 97 - 44
29 - 93 - 56
10 - 91 - 39
16 - 23 - 15

77 - 74
25 - 4
84 - 6

KOSKINEN

NEAL – McDAVID – KASSIAN

NYGARD – HASS – CHIASSON

LAGESSON – LARSSON

KLEFBOM – BEAR

NURSE – RUSSELL

Wait are you telling me that Yams didn’t get injured yet?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750532 is a reply to message #750519 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oh god no.

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor

Mike Smith gets the start. In his last six appearances dating back to November 30th his best Sv% in any game was .868. He’s allowed 21 goals in last 131 shots (.840Sv%). He needs to find his game ASAP.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750539 is a reply to message #750532 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 10:45

Oh god no.

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor

Mike Smith gets the start. In his last six appearances dating back to November 30th his best Sv% in any game was .868. He’s allowed 21 goals in last 131 shots (.840Sv%). He needs to find his game ASAP.

Koskinen is sick, damn it.

Quick, someone kill the crap out of his 3-horned bull and use the horns to make some magic asian medicine for our players

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/689/900/ced.png

[Updated on: Thu, 02 January 2020 11:08]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750540 is a reply to message #750532 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 11:45

Oh god no.

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor

Wonder what Smitty put in Koski’s cornflakes...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750553 is a reply to message #750519 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some news on the Mike Smith bonus front:

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor

Mike Smith bonus is for games played. But to be official GP, he has to play 30 minutes.

He gets bonus of $125K at games 20, 25, 30 and 35. If he plays game 40 then another $250K and another $250 at 45.

So far he has 16 "official" games played. Tonight could be #17.

That gives Holland a little time to find us an adequate back-up who could replace Smith.

Just think, we probably could have swapped that 6th round pick in the Marino deal for Tristan Jarry last summer...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750554 is a reply to message #750553 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 15:00

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor

Mike Smith bonus is for games played. But to be official GP, he has to play 30 minutes.

He gets bonus of $125K at games 20, 25, 30 and 35. If he plays game 40 then another $250K and another $250 at 45.

That gives Holland a little time to find us an adequate back-up who could replace Smith.

Just think, we probably could have swapped that 6th round pick in the Marino deal for Tristan Jarry last summer...

Nice. I think. Once the bonus's start flowing, Smith might not be able to resist continuing to put SARS in Koskinen's water bottles.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43) [message #750559 is a reply to message #750554 ]
Thu, 02 January 2020 15:54 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 15:03

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 January 2020 15:00

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor

Nice. I think. Once the bonus's start flowing, Smith might not be able to resist continuing to put SARS in Koskinen's water bottles.

It's funny though - for all the times that the Oilers screw over players who've left the team, they do always seem to want to do right by them while they're on the team. You rarely see any selfish player usage based on how it might benefit the team.

- Eric Gryba was re-signed to a two-year deal after spending half the season and most of the playoffs as a healthy scratch. He was then bought out one year later, even though it hurt the team cap-wise because the team thought it was better for the player who was a good soldier. Gryba is now retired, but we are paying him $300K of cap space and cash this season.
- If Al Montoya had played 6 or less games, we'd have given up a lesser draft pick for him. The Oilers had a healthy Cam Talbot and they still had Laurent Brossoit in the minors. They were out of the playoff picture with 6 weeks left, and still they decided to give Montoya 9 appearances, costing us a fourth round pick.
- Anthony Stolarz needed to play just a couple more games to remain an RFA at the season's end last year. The Oilers were out of the playoff picture, and Koskinen was struggling badly...buuuuut there was no effort to get him in those games, so he went UFA and signed with the Ducks. He's had a .913 save percentage with the San Diego Gulls in 21 games this season and the Oilers goalie depth chart is a mess since their only legitimate AHL goalie was injured. None of their goalies are above .900 on the season.

The only time I remember any notice at all of anything with a contingency occurring is some complaints from the local media about young Oilers celebrating "too much" after they scored enough points to trigger their bonuses.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #43)
Next Topic:Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #42)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca