This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744887]
Wed, 16 October 2019 22:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Philadelphia to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744892 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Wow! almost 30 less shots than the Flyers and they win it big. Think you have to give quite a large dose of the credit to Koskinen for this one. He's not "sexy" but he gets the job done, I cringe when he tries a Smith and goes out to play the puck. The Oilers big guns came through but it could just as easily have gone the other way as Philly did outplay us for most of that game. "Finding ways to win" is going to run out for them if they don't dig in and start playing better as a team and stop taking stupid penalties. (Nurse)

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 11:43]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744893 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

That’s as close to as scheduled win as the NHLl allows, but full credit to the Oilers. They went out and won the game.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744895 is a reply to message #744893 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 16 October 2019 22:28

That’s as close to as scheduled win as the NHLl allows, but full credit to the Oilers. They went out and won the game.

This game was basically about the Dynamic Duo forcing the Flyers to complete the Bond of Obedience. “Thank you, sir! May I please have another?”

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744896 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

https://i.imgur.com/2378cuH.jpg

Banking points.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744897 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Wanted a goal so bad for the depth guys. I swear Khaira had multiple tap in chances but just refused to battle to get his stick down for the puck. Something is up with that guy.

McDavid to Mandog for a goal was pretty crazy

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744936 is a reply to message #744897 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Jujhar is a waste of talent. Straight up.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744898 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Connor throws up a 5 pt. night.....not a big deal...

Nuge gets one, shoulda had 2. I actually felt happy for Manning, hopefully he can continue to be useful filling in when he needs to.

1 for 2, the PP is deadly, great movement, and so many shots available from different spots, guys who will sniff out a loose puck and bang it home.

Let the good times roll, Ed. Keep 'er going. 12 pts in the bank in 7 games.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744899 is a reply to message #744898 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

This is fun. The PP is finally looking like a PP with McDavid and Draisaitl SHOULD look.

Smith and Koskinen have been solid. And James Neal - I can't believe we got rid of Lucic, let alone get this guy back. Crazy.

Good times!

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744906 is a reply to message #744899 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 07:06

This is fun. The PP is finally looking like a PP with McDavid and Draisaitl SHOULD look.

Smith and Koskinen have been solid. And James Neal - I can't believe we got rid of Lucic, let alone get this guy back. Crazy.

Good times!

Big game for Koskinen, and good on him for that, but man - he gives me no confidence.

Watch all those highlights. He's very deep in his net, he's prone to getting out of position and then flopping around to try to get back in. It looks like he's really battling, but it means he's exposed. The shooters for the Flyers didn't have a great night. There were a lot of opportunities where they just didn't hit the openings.

Good night for the coaches last night though. We get the win, but the team gives them LOTS of things to crack the whip on. Sloppy ugly game, especially that third period, and still we're coming out on top.

Nice start to the schedule this year - the team is really able to ease in to things. We'll play one real contender team all October! Hopefully they can keep this going, because it would be helpful to have as many of these points banked as possible.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744907 is a reply to message #744906 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 09:22

Good times!

Big game for Koskinen, and good on him for that, but man - he gives me no confidence.

Watch all those highlights. He's very deep in his net, he's prone to getting out of position and then flopping around to try to get back in. It looks like he's really battling, but it means he's exposed. The shooters for the Flyers didn't have a great night. There were a lot of opportunities where they just didn't hit the openings.

Good night for the coaches last night though. We get the win, but the team gives them LOTS of things to crack the whip on. Sloppy ugly game, especially that third period, and still we're coming out on top.

Nice start to the schedule this year - the team is really able to ease in to things. We'll play one real contender team all October! Hopefully they can keep this going, because it would be helpful to have as many of these points banked as possible.

Only 1 contender? We played defensive god team Islanders. We played ultra-stacked Jersey. Cup champ Caps soon. Then well coached Florida :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744909 is a reply to message #744907 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 09:25

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 09:22

Good times!

Only 1 contender? We played defensive god team Islanders. We played ultra-stacked Jersey. Cup champ Caps soon. Then well coached Florida :)

I thought Washington was the only team I could see in the Finals of any of our October match-ups.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744900 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Man, I felt bad for Philly. They were totally dominating the oilers in the second right up until McDavid blasts by the d and scores. That is unfair, but I'll take it. Oiler fans have suffered enough.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744903 is a reply to message #744900 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Pseudoreality wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 08:02

Man, I felt bad for Philly. They were totally dominating the oilers in the second right up until McDavid blasts by the d and scores. That is unfair, but I'll take it. Oiler fans have suffered enough.

Even on that shift I was getting mad at Russell because he had a couple chances to get it out prior to the flip pass. Good game to be at though. Shot differential was big but it seemed like we kept them on the perimeter. McDavid's knee may be healed.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744904 is a reply to message #744903 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I just want to give a quick thanks to Gio for his cheap leg sweep at the end of last year. McDavid seems to have taken that injury personally and decided he was going to come back better than ever to shove everything up the NHL's ass.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744910 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Good news! Terry Jones sees the Oilers as real contenders now! Mental toughness, like they showed last night, will be the path to the top seed in the Pacific Division!

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/jones-oilers-looked-like-they-belong-at-the-top-of-pacific -division/wcm/e389278b-ae2a-48fe-8b21-750f92aae2d6?utm_term= Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobo x=1571312344

Also, don't worry about that non-sellout last night. More sellouts are shortly on the way!

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744911 is a reply to message #744910 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Terry Jones is a senile, way past his prime journalist who still has a job which boggles my mind. When news print dying and good writers getting punted, left and right, I don't know how he is still around. I wish he would just retire.

I don't think the Oilers are a contender for a cup but I could see them having a legit challenge for a playoff spot. The bottom 6 will need to get sorted but I hope that will happen. Right now I see a lot of guys who are really good on the PK but are struggling a bit 5 on 5. The PK has been so bad and literally losing them games, they doubled down on PK guys too boost it up and it's paying off . But as the season goes along, I hope they sort out the bottom 6 finding a better balance. I do not think all of who is playing in the bottom 6 right now, will be the same guys a few months from now.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 10:49]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744912 is a reply to message #744911 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

People still believe and trust the obsolete legacy media for some reason. Like it or not, Jones sells papers.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744913 is a reply to message #744910 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 10:19

Also, don't worry about that non-sellout last night. More sellouts are shortly on the way!

The ticket sales thing has been coming for a while. I bet a significant portion of season ticket holders resell a portion of their pack to recover some cost. Not so easy to do these days. Now if we get to 10-1 and mcdavid is up 10 points in the scoring race that might turn around.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744914 is a reply to message #744910 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 10:19

Good news! Terry Jones sees the Oilers as real contenders now! Mental toughness, like they showed last night, will be the path to the top seed in the Pacific Division!

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/jones-oilers-looked-like-they-belong-at-the-top-of-pacific -division/wcm/e389278b-ae2a-48fe-8b21-750f92aae2d6?utm_term= Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobo x=1571312344

Good to get the seal of approval from Post Media's resident genius.

It wasn't just a non-sellout. There were whole sections of the upper bowl that were basically vacant. The lower bowl looked pretty full, and I'm sure thats not by accident (got to make it look good on TV). The upper bowl was a whole different story. I'd say probably it was maybe 3/4 full? Maybe a little more?

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744915 is a reply to message #744914 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

One other note, JJ and Sheahan line started the game against Philly's #1 line. Surprised me but they held their own. That line spent a lot of time down low in the other team's zone. Shame none of them can score but they're doing the rest of their job well.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744916 is a reply to message #744915 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 11:20

One other note, JJ and Sheahan line started the game against Philly's #1 line. Surprised me but they held their own. That line spent a lot of time down low in the other team's zone. Shame none of them can score but they're doing the rest of their job well.

I've liked Sheahan. Khaira does done alright in some areas but in my opinion is a blackhole offensively.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744917 is a reply to message #744916 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 11:27

I've liked Sheahan. Khaira does done alright in some areas but in my opinion is a blackhole offensively.

He's keeping pace with half the forwards though. icon_lol

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744918 is a reply to message #744917 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 11:37

I agree. I think there is goals from these guys, I am just not sure there is the right combination both in guys playing and lines. IN my opinion, Tippett really wants to have a very strong defensively bottom 6 that is strong on the PK. If you look at bottom 6 lines, for the most part, you can throw them out against most lines and they will do fine defensively. That's great and all but it stunts some offense. I think the Khaira- Sheahan pairing is working very well defensively but Khaira is such a blackhole offensively, it's stunting any offense for Sheahan. I have thought that Sheahan has been generating some chances but there isn't much help. I wonder if there will come a time when someone more offensive is put on the 3rd line with Sheahan and then you create a 4th line that is 100% defensive and full of PK guys.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744939 is a reply to message #744918 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 11:58

I agree. I think there is goals from these guys, I am just not sure there is the right combination both in guys playing and lines. IN my opinion, Tippett really wants to have a very strong defensively bottom 6 that is strong on the PK. If you look at bottom 6 lines, for the most part, you can throw them out against most lines and they will do fine defensively. That's great and all but it stunts some offense. I think the Khaira- Sheahan pairing is working very well defensively but Khaira is such a blackhole offensively, it's stunting any offense for Sheahan. I have thought that Sheahan has been generating some chances but there isn't much help. I wonder if there will come a time when someone more offensive is put on the 3rd line with Sheahan and then you create a 4th line that is 100% defensive and full of PK guys.

Oilers had 52 shots against last night. Koskinen was amazing and McDavid and Draisaitl steal games. But I'm not sure the team has actually been that good defensively. They have a pretty favourable schedule to start the season, but they'll have to get that sorted out against better teams.

The PK has been good, but there needs to be more than that 5x5 from the bottom six than what we've seen. I'm also not convinced you need to carry as many PKers in the lineup as the Oilers are right now.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744940 is a reply to message #744939 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 15:13

The PK has been good, but there needs to be more than that 5x5 from the bottom six than what we've seen. I'm also not convinced you need to carry as many PKers in the lineup as the Oilers are right now.

The problem is that the Oil don't have enough skill players to avoid having all of those PKers in the line-up, which was the concern going into this season (re: secondary scoring). The bottom six have just not been able to generate any offense to back up the top 2 lines, though they have at least at times been able to hem opposing teams up in their own zone..

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744954 is a reply to message #744940 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 15:27

The problem is that the Oil don't have enough skill players to avoid having all of those PKers in the line-up, which was the concern going into this season (re: secondary scoring). The bottom six have just not been able to generate any offense to back up the top 2 lines, though they have at least at times been able to hem opposing teams up in their own zone..

This was always why I felt the Sam Gagner demotion was a mistake. He's not flawless. He will generate more than any other guy in that bottom six. Pick some PKers and surround them with some guys who can produce a little offense.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 23:58]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744942 is a reply to message #744939 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 11:58

Oilers had 52 shots against last night. Koskinen was amazing and McDavid and Draisaitl steal games. But I'm not sure the team has actually been that good defensively. They have a pretty favourable schedule to start the season, but they'll have to get that sorted out against better teams.

Not to mention, as Goose pointed out, the PK hasn't actually been that good. The goalies have just been stopping a very high percentage of shots. It's possible I guess that that's all system driven, but the numbers don't really support that. Teams are getting lots of good looks, but aren't scoring. So if the numbers regress to the mean, then the Oilers PK is going to start costing them a lot more goals.

They got dinged for a couple last night. Hopefully that wasn't the start of the bubble bursting...

I'm about ready to recall Gagner...

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744919 is a reply to message #744917 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid 5-12-17
Draisaitl 6-9-15
Neal 8-1-9
Kassian 3-3-6
Nugent-Hopkins 1-5-6
Jurco 0-2-2
Nygard 1-0-1
Haas 0-1-1
Granlund 0-0-0
Khaira 0-0-0
Sheahan 0-0-0
Chiasson 0-0-0
Archibald 0-0-0
P. Russell 0-0-0
Cave 0-0-0

That's pretty clear isn't it. Outside of the top 5 guys only Jurco is positive at +3. Haas & Chiasson are even, everyone else is minus. Goal share, shot share...the bottom half of the roster is getting caved in when they're on the ice 5v5.

Either we need a system tweak to make them more effective, or we need to start examining personnel. I heard some talk on the radio that guys like Benson or Yamamoto need to be top six to be successful, but that's old school thinking. More and more you're seeing teams adopt fast, young bottom sixes where you have guys trying to earn more icetime through offensive production. We don't need a bunch of guys that grind it out but don't push the play. If anything, that just exhausts the defence.

Worth noting - I'm not loving the shot generation from the back-end so far either. Klefbom's been really good. 9 points and 15 shots. Nurse has picked up where he left off too - 5 points and 9 shots so far. Bear & Persson have been alright - 7 shots each. Bear with a couple points but zeroes for Persson. Russell has three shots and one assist. Benning has a shocking ONE shot in seven games with two assists (I think both from opening night). Manning had the goal and a couple shots last night, but his sample size is so small it's almost not worth mentioning.

Some of that is deployment. The bottom pairing is getting sent out more with the bottom half the roster, and they don't threaten the other net much. But still...four shots from that D-pairing in seven games is UGLY.

Strange additional stat - all the Oilers D-men are between -2 and +2 other than Matt Benning, who's +6... I'm not sure what to make of that. It's pretty impressive.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744920 is a reply to message #744919 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 12:05

McDavid 5-12-17
Draisaitl 6-9-15
Neal 8-1-9
Kassian 3-3-6
Nugent-Hopkins 1-5-6
Jurco 0-2-2
Nygard 1-0-1
Haas 0-1-1
Granlund 0-0-0
Khaira 0-0-0
Sheahan 0-0-0
Chiasson 0-0-0
Archibald 0-0-0
P. Russell 0-0-0
Cave 0-0-0

That's pretty clear isn't it. Outside of the top 5 guys only Jurco is positive at +3. Haas & Chiasson are even, everyone else is minus. Goal share, shot share...the bottom half of the roster is getting caved in when they're on the ice 5v5.

Either we need a system tweak to make them more effective, or we need to start examining personnel. I heard some talk on the radio that guys like Benson or Yamamoto need to be top six to be successful, but that's old school thinking. More and more you're seeing teams adopt fast, young bottom sixes where you have guys trying to earn more icetime through offensive production. We don't need a bunch of guys that grind it out but don't push the play. If anything, that just exhausts the defence.

Worth noting - I'm not loving the shot generation from the back-end so far either. Klefbom's been really good. 9 points and 15 shots. Nurse has picked up where he left off too - 5 points and 9 shots so far. Bear & Persson have been alright - 7 shots each. Bear with a couple points but zeroes for Persson. Russell has three shots and one assist. Benning has a shocking ONE shot in seven games with two assists (I think both from opening night). Manning had the goal and a couple shots last night, but his sample size is so small it's almost not worth mentioning.

Some of that is deployment. The bottom pairing is getting sent out more with the bottom half the roster, and they don't threaten the other net much. But still...four shots from that D-pairing in seven games is UGLY.

Strange additional stat - all the Oilers D-men are between -2 and +2 other than Matt Benning, who's +6... I'm not sure what to make of that. It's pretty impressive.

Bear has 25 career NHL games but realistically, the 7 games this season of him being in prime time playing time, hold more weight in my books. Persson has 5 career games in North America. IN my opinion, as these guys get more and more comfortable, the shots will come. Persson especially. Seeing Bear pinch in like he did for his goal is a good sign in my opinion.

Same goes for the other guys like Russell and Benning. They need to be better defensively first so if they can defend well, I am not as concerned.

When it comes to the bottom 6, I see a big time emphasis on getting the goals against down and having a strong PK. So far it's working but at some point they may need to change things up a bit.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 12:14]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744921 is a reply to message #744920 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 12:10

McDavid 5-12-17
Draisaitl 6-9-15
Neal 8-1-9
Kassian 3-3-6
Nugent-Hopkins 1-5-6
Jurco 0-2-2
Nygard 1-0-1
Haas 0-1-1
Granlund 0-0-0
Khaira 0-0-0
Sheahan 0-0-0
Chiasson 0-0-0
Archibald 0-0-0
P. Russell 0-0-0
Cave 0-0-0

Bear has 25 career NHL games but realistically, the 7 games this season of him being in prime time playing time, hold more weight in my books. Persson has 5 career games in North America. IN my opinion, as these guys get more and more comfortable, the shots will come. Persson especially. Seeing Bear pinch in like he did for his goal is a good sign in my opinion.

Same goes for the other guys like Russell and Benning. They need to be better defensively first so if they can defend well, I am not as concerned.

When it comes to the bottom 6, I see a big time emphasis on getting the goals against down and having a strong PK. So far it's working but at some point they may need to change things up a bit.

The bottom six has been outscored 7-1 in seven games. That's not working.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744924 is a reply to message #744921 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 12:42

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 12:10

McDavid 5-12-17
Draisaitl 6-9-15
Neal 8-1-9
Kassian 3-3-6
Nugent-Hopkins 1-5-6
Jurco 0-2-2
Nygard 1-0-1
Haas 0-1-1
Granlund 0-0-0
Khaira 0-0-0
Sheahan 0-0-0
Chiasson 0-0-0
Archibald 0-0-0
P. Russell 0-0-0
Cave 0-0-0

The Oilers are 6-1. A +10 in goal dif which is tied for the highest in the NHL. Their PK was at the top last night, not sure where it's at now but in the top 3 for sure and they are in the middle of the pack for goals against. So I agree, they need more offense from the bottom 6 but I wouldn't exactly say the bottom 6 isn't working completely. It needs a little tweaking.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 13:08]

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744928 is a reply to message #744924 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 12:02

The Oilers are 6-1. A +10 in goal dif which is tied for the highest in the NHL. Their PK was at the top last night, not sure where it's at now but in the top 3 for sure and they are in the middle of the pack for goals against. So I agree, they need more offense from the bottom 6 but I wouldn't exactly say the bottom 6 isn't working completely. It needs a little tweaking. [/quote]

I'm not convinced their PK issues are solved. They've been riding hot goalies, but the rest of their numbers on the PK are not great.

For goalies with at least 3 games, Mike Smith is currently 2nd with a .963 save pct on the PK, and Koskinen is 9th with a .909. For context, Georgiev had the best save pct on the PK last year at .913 (min. 20 games played). So that will come down to earth at some point.

The downside is, when that happens, it could get ugly fast. On the PK, the Oilers are:

2nd last in CA/60 at 120.1
5th worst in SA/60 at 66.7
Last in xGA/60 at 10.7
3rd last in SCA at 60.8
(all numbers from naturalstattrick.com)

New players, new coach, so hopefully they get some of that locked down, but as it stands I wouldn't feel great about where the PK is right now.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/teamtable.php?fromseason=20 192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=pk&sc ore=all&rate=y&team=all&loc=B&gpf=410&fd =&td=

As for their overall record, I'm not sure how that's relevant to how the bottom 6 are performing? Their play has been overwhelmed by the brilliance of McDavid/Draisaitl, to the point where the Oilers are winning games. This team is still pretty rough without the Big 3 (4 now with Neal?), on the ice.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744929 is a reply to message #744928 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Yeah, the first line and PP are covering up a lot of faults on this team. I saw a stat on reddit that the last time a duo had as many points as Draisaitl/McDavid after 7 games, it was Lemieux and Jagr in the 90s.

The goaltending will come back to earth, James Neal will not be shooting 40+ percent, and McDavid will not score at a 200 point rate the whole season. There are lots of things tipping the scale that just won't continue. I have a hard time seeing the bottom end of this team making any of that up.

We keep getting outshot in these games by weak teams too, and I don't think it is score effects.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 14:04]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744930 is a reply to message #744928 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 13:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 12:02

The Oilers are 6-1. A +10 in goal dif which is tied for the highest in the NHL. Their PK was at the top last night, not sure where it's at now but in the top 3 for sure and they are in the middle of the pack for goals against. So I agree, they need more offense from the bottom 6 but I wouldn't exactly say the bottom 6 isn't working completely. It needs a little tweaking.

I'm not convinced their PK issues are solved. They've been riding hot goalies, but the rest of their numbers on the PK are not great.

For goalies with at least 3 games, Mike Smith is currently 2nd with a .963 save pct on the PK, and Koskinen is 9th with a .909. For context, Georgiev had the best save pct on the PK last year at .913 (min. 20 games played). So that will come down to earth at some point.

The downside is, when that happens, it could get ugly fast. On the PK, the Oilers are:

2nd last in CA/60 at 120.1
5th worst in SA/60 at 66.7
Last in xGA/60 at 10.7
3rd last in SCA at 60.8
(all numbers from naturalstattrick.com)

New players, new coach, so hopefully they get some of that locked down, but as it stands I wouldn't feel great about where the PK is right now.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/teamtable.php?fromseason=20 192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=pk&sc ore=all&rate=y&team=all&loc=B&gpf=410&fd =&td=

As for their overall record, I'm not sure how that's relevant to how the bottom 6 are performing? Their play has been overwhelmed by the brilliance of McDavid/Draisaitl, to the point where the Oilers are winning games. This team is still pretty rough without the Big 3 (4 now with Neal?), on the ice.[/quote]
The record is absolutely relevant. They are 6-1. You don't do that without your entire team contributing in some way. I am not saying the bottom 6 is solved. They need to score more. That's obvious. But they aren't completely crap either. There needs to be adjustments clearly but they basically changed out almost their entire bottom 6, they have new coaches, new systems, new style of play. There is going to be growing pains.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744933 is a reply to message #744930 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The way I look at it. They have played 7 games. There is a new coach, new system, new style of play and a wack of new players. It's going to take time for all that to become second nature and there will be growing pains as we have seen in some up and down play. They aren't playing as well as they can, they are taking advantage of some red hot players and an easier schedule and they are WINNING!! Every win they get now is 1 less win they need months from now.

Personally, I would rather them be playing OK at times with some inconsistencies and learning/finding a way to win vs playing solid and losing. The more consistent play will come in my opinion.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744934 is a reply to message #744930 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 14:07

The record is absolutely relevant. They are 6-1. You don't do that without your entire team contributing in some way. I am not saying the bottom 6 is solved. They need to score more. That's obvious. But they aren't completely crap either. There needs to be adjustments clearly but they basically changed out almost their entire bottom 6, they have new coaches, new systems, new style of play. There is going to be growing pains.

I think what other people are saying here is that McDavid & Draisaitl have been so good that it masks the flaws in the lineup. Some hot goaltending and a scorching hot powerplay, likely at both playing at levels that are unsustainable, have also made the team look better than it is. The fact we've mostly played B-level teams or below also has helped greatly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be excited about the 6-1 start. That's a really good thing for this team. But there are large parts of this team that aren't really contributing to the wins. The bottom six forwards have not been a factor at all. They're getting owned whenever they're on the ice, and that's a major concern.

Sticking our head in the sands about the concerns with this roster isn't really helpful. I really hope that the Oilers aren't feeling content because of the record, because anyone watching critically should see that there's some huge holes here that need addressing if this success is going to be anything besides fleeting.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744935 is a reply to message #744934 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 14:26

I think what other people are saying here is that McDavid & Draisaitl have been so good that it masks the flaws in the lineup. Some hot goaltending and a scorching hot powerplay, likely at both playing at levels that are unsustainable, have also made the team look better than it is. The fact we've mostly played B-level teams or below also has helped greatly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be excited about the 6-1 start. That's a really good thing for this team. But there are large parts of this team that aren't really contributing to the wins. The bottom six forwards have not been a factor at all. They're getting owned whenever they're on the ice, and that's a major concern.

Sticking our head in the sands about the concerns with this roster isn't really helpful. I really hope that the Oilers aren't feeling content because of the record, because anyone watching critically should see that there's some huge holes here that need addressing if this success is going to be anything besides fleeting.

Khaira in particular has been hot garbage over the past few games but particularly on Monday night vs the Hawks. Oh, and I'm sure no one missed the fact that the Hawks were able to neutralize Connor and Drai which led directly to the Oilers loss because only Neal could score in continuing his red-hot start to the year.

The team is not going to be successful in the long term if they are going to rely on Drai/Connor and Neal to outscore their mistakes. Hopefully, we will be seeing guys like Haas and other call-ups from Bakersfield being given a shot. I'd love to see Bouchard get a shot at some point this season too.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744938 is a reply to message #744935 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 14:39

Khaira in particular has been hot garbage over the past few games but particularly on Monday night vs the Hawks. Oh, and I'm sure no one missed the fact that the Hawks were able to neutralize Connor and Drai which led directly to the Oilers loss because only Neal could score in continuing his red-hot start to the year.

The team is not going to be successful in the long term if they are going to rely on Drai/Connor and Neal to outscore their mistakes. Hopefully, we will be seeing guys like Haas and other call-ups from Bakersfield being given a shot. I'd love to see Bouchard get a shot at some point this season too.

I am wondering when it will click in if ever with Khaira. He seems to be a guy who if he has a full time spot, he gets complacent. It's seems that he needs to be fighting for his job on a nightly basis in order to get the most out of him. It's still somewhat early but I thought he was a perfect Tippett guy. I have been less than impressed with him.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744937 is a reply to message #744934 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

I am not sticking my head in the sand. I recognize their flaws. There are areas in their game they need to improve big time if they want to get to the next level. Some of it is consistency problems, I think some of it is guys learning a new way to play and some of it is personnel. But they aren't a tire fire like they were in previous years. Last year, after 5 games, they would have been probably 2-2-1 at best. After the Chicago loss where they played OK, probably deserved a point but ran into a hot goalie. They would have come home and lost 6-3 or worse. All of a sudden they go from being .500 to being 2 games below and in a tailspin. Then followed it up with a crap game against Detroit and went into a 3 or 4 game losing streak. The goaltending would have been a problem. The PK a joke, the PP sputtering and the bottom 6 was crap.

But it's not the case. They aren't playing amazing but they are finding ways to win. Instead of finding ways to lose, they are finding ways to win. The coaches have things to work on to improve the overall game but they are winning games and its a hell of a lot easier to be hard on guys to button things up when you are winning than when you are in a losing streak getting their asses kicked.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Next Topic:GDT: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca