This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744211 is a reply to message #744210 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Lucic fought MacDermid tonight. It has evened up again.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744212 is a reply to message #744211 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 20:17

And Eakins is 3-0-0.

My excitement has fallen back down.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744220 is a reply to message #744211 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 20:17

Man Eric Francis is such a tool, I flipped to the Flames broadcast after the Oilers game and he was saying something to the effect that "I bet you're getting a bunch of texts from Oilers fans right now about James Neal but Lucic's fight changed this game!"

Cory Sarich and Francis proceed to talk about the "intangibles" that Lucic brings, how Neal would never have been a top 6 in Calgary etc.

Lucic's fight had nothing to do with Kopitar's giveaway and Campbell's horrible effort on the 2nd goal. I know it's a good storyline for writers if a fight occurs and then the game changes, last night really wasn't like that.

I'm not sure what it's going to take to admit it was a bad trade.

One a side note, I'm not a huge Doughty fan but loved his OT celly and sticking it to Tkachuk and their fans.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744213 is a reply to message #744210 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:38

Looch wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:07

Welp, time to change my username!

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Neal tonight tied Lucic's goal output for all of last year...

Are you OK? You aren't ragging on the Oilers.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744230 is a reply to message #744213 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 21:02

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:38

Looch wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:07

Welp, time to change my username!

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Neal tonight tied Lucic's goal output for all of last year...

Are you OK? You aren't ragging on the Oilers.

How come you weren't happy last night? Seems a strange time to go trying to pick fights, no?

I've told you before - anyone who posts here regularly is an Oilers fan and would like to see the Oilers do well. People have been critical, because that almost never happens and frankly the organization deserves it for making so many stupid decisions over the past two decades.

If you told me this morning that Kevin Lowe got fired, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm willing to just be happy that we're three games in and undefeated and the Flames look like fools for taking on Lucic AND giving us something of value at the same time.

You're going to give yourself headaches if you tilt at every windmill like this, my friend.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744199 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

.... and somebody just won $100,000

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744202 is a reply to message #744199 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:08

Ugh, I have to start shopping at Save-On again now....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744203 is a reply to message #744202 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:09

Still not worth it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744204 is a reply to message #744203 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:10

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:09

Still not worth it.

I know, but if Neal's gonna keep scoring like this, the gamble would outweigh the fact that I'm shopping at @#%%ing Save-On....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744201 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Well, Flames fan said a sucker punch by Lucic was more than Neal did all last year.

But, Neal actually did, in 3 games, as much as Lucic did all last year in terms of goal scoring.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744208 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

#60 lost his guy leading to a goal against.

EDIT: Aaah, #60 is Granlund.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744209 is a reply to message #744208 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 19:23

#60 lost his guy leading to a goal against.

EDIT: Aaah, #60 is Granlund.

Good thing it didn't matter in the end.

Yep, the Oil sure gave up a lot to get Neal. Those Flamers fans were right....HAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH AHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAA!!! rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

5-14-6-1

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744215 is a reply to message #744209 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Koskinen was solid. Not overly tested but he was solid which in my opinion, is all they need.

I thought the defence was pretty darn good. Klefbom is a horse. Nurse looked good. Bear continues to impress me. Persson looks like he is settling in and getting better by the game. Russell was actually decent and Benning was solid. It's nice seeing some guys on the Oilers defence capable of moving the puck and hitting guys on the tape with passes. It's early I get that but having some puck movers like Bear and Persson is making a difference in my opinion.

Leon is a man on a mission to prove that last year wasn't a fluke.

McDavid is all freaking world.

Kassian scores again!! He looks like a top 6 guy to me. Making offensive plays, creating offensive chances and burying goals when he has the chance. 3 goals in 3 games.

I thought the bottom 6 was actually pretty good. The Sheahan line was excellent.

Haas and Nygard continue to get better each game. Again early but they may have found some cheap guys. Fingers crossed.

Jurco another nice game and another point.

Nuge was brutal on draws but I am nit picking. He looked good tonight other than face-offs.

Neal what can I say. 4 freaking goals. 6 in his first 3 games. Can't ask for any better than that.

Could it be we have a second line?

PK was good. PP was good. Oilers are definitely a much faster team.

Again early but so far, a lot of positives.

I am watching the Flames game. Second intermission. The panel talking about the impact of Lucic. Quickly mentions that Neal has 4 goals for the Oilers, deflects that saying it wouldn't happen in Calgary then goes on to justify Lucic and the trade. Someone rubs him, Lucic jumps the guy. Apparently that turned the tide for the Flames. icon_rolleyes Hrudy mentioning how Lucic has an "impact".

I freaking love it. The Flames, their fans, their media guys, etc used to RIP the Oilers for having Lucic and laughed when Oilers fans and media said the same freaking thing about Lucic when they tried to justify his existence. Talking about the "impact he has" his toughness and intimidation, etc. Now they are doing the same damn thing. icon_lol I can't wait to see what they say when Lucic has 5 or 6 goals, 20 pts if they are lucky and Neal has well over 20 goals.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744233 is a reply to message #744215 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 21:16

Koskinen was solid. Not overly tested but he was solid which in my opinion, is all they need.

. It's nice seeing some guys on the Oilers defence capable of moving the puck and hitting guys on the tape with passes. It's early I get that but having some puck movers like Bear and Persson is making a difference in my opinion.

Koski getting the win has to be a lift for him after all the criticism aimed his way and the puck movers really give the team a dimension they were lacking before, being able to utilize the speed of some of our forwards to better effect. The bottom six is much improved and has some speed so all of this adds up to a much better overall team game. Big win! Holland is looking like a genius right now especially with those bargain priced Euoropean players ( and the Lucic trade of course ) but I'm sure there's more to come.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744234 is a reply to message #744233 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 11:09

. It's nice seeing some guys on the Oilers defence capable of moving the puck and hitting guys on the tape with passes. It's early I get that but having some puck movers like Bear and Persson is making a difference in my opinion.

Koski getting the win has to be a lift for him after all the criticism aimed his way and the puck movers really give the team a dimension they were lacking before, being able to utilize the speed of some of our forwards to better effect. The bottom six is much improved and has some speed so all of this adds up to a much better overall team game. Big win! Holland is looking like a genius right now especially with those bargain priced Euoropean players ( and the Lucic trade of course ) but I'm sure there's more to come.

I am hesitant to declare the newbies a smashing success. Our third and fourth lines have accounted for one goal in three games. They haven't been awful by any means, but right now this team is still being carried by the top half the lineup, and more specifically by McDavid and Draisaitl. They have 15 points so far, and Draisaitl played almost 22 minutes even last night when they had a commanding lead for half the game.

The depth guys aren't embarrassing themselves right now (although I think Cave and Russell both look like AHLers), but they're not excelling and they haven't yet given the coach the confidence to take minutes away from the top line. That's notable because ideally, Draisaitl & McDavid aren't playing 23+ minutes a night all year. (they're current #1 and #4 in the league in TOI/game).

Special teams have looked pretty solid so far though - which is a real positive.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744241 is a reply to message #744234 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 11:17

I am hesitant to declare the newbies a smashing success. Our third and fourth lines have accounted for one goal in three games. They haven't been awful by any means, but right now this team is still being carried by the top half the lineup, and more specifically by McDavid and Draisaitl. They have 15 points so far, and Draisaitl played almost 22 minutes even last night when they had a commanding lead for half the game.

The depth guys aren't embarrassing themselves right now (although I think Cave and Russell both look like AHLers), but they're not excelling and they haven't yet given the coach the confidence to take minutes away from the top line. That's notable because ideally, Draisaitl & McDavid aren't playing 23+ minutes a night all year. (they're current #1 and #4 in the league in TOI/game).

Special teams have looked pretty solid so far though - which is a real positive.

I agree that they are not a lock or smashing success but they are a big improvement resulting in more offensive zone time. They're still on a short leash learning the NHL game but I expect them to get better as they gain more experience and come together more as a team. As far as offensive numbers go, any scoring from the bottom six is better than what we had in the past but expect that to improve as they get more ice time and take some away from the top players. With what Holland had to work with ( crippled to some extent by a certain past manager ) he's done a pretty good job so far. A man of many resources.
There is definitely more weeding out and change needed though.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 October 2019 11:42]

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744242 is a reply to message #744241 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

overdue wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 11:39

I agree that they are not a lock or smashing success but they are a big improvement resulting in more offensive zone time. They're still on a short leash learning the NHL game but I expect them to get better as they gain more experience and come together more as a team. As far as offensive numbers go, any scoring from the bottom six is better than what we had in the past but expect that to improve as they get more ice time and take some away from the top players. With what Holland had to work with ( crippled to some extent by a certain past manager ) he's done a pretty good job so far. A man of many resources.

Khaira’s line did do some good work down low last night. You could see how Sheahan isn’t a scorer though, flubbed a couple nice chances. I think you want McDavid leading the league in ice time, at least until you see an effect on his points per game.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744249 is a reply to message #744242 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 11:57

Khaira’s line did do some good work down low last night. You could see how Sheahan isn’t a scorer though, flubbed a couple nice chances. I think you want McDavid leading the league in ice time, at least until you see an effect on his points per game.

I am of the opinion that when you have McDavid the best player in the world and then you have Leon who in my opinion is a top 10-15 player in the league that you want to get those guys out a lot. Even the best 4th line center in the league isn't going to generate anything close to the offensive chances those 2 can. If the Oilers could get another center than can win a draw, then ideally Leon doesn't have to play an PK at all. It sure would be nice if the Oilers vet of 8 years, supposedly "2 way center" in Nuge could win faceoffs consistently but I guess that's too much to ask.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744255 is a reply to message #744249 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 13:26

I am of the opinion that when you have McDavid the best player in the world and then you have Leon who in my opinion is a top 10-15 player in the league that you want to get those guys out a lot. Even the best 4th line center in the league isn't going to generate anything close to the offensive chances those 2 can. If the Oilers could get another center than can win a draw, then ideally Leon doesn't have to play an PK at all. It sure would be nice if the Oilers vet of 8 years, supposedly "2 way center" in Nuge could win faceoffs consistently but I guess that's too much to ask.

It's a marathon, not a sprint, so scoring depth is important so that Drai and Connor don't get burned out before the playoffs (if they make them this year). Also, what happens if one or both of them get hurt? If they can't score without 97 or 29, this could still be a long season....

5-14-6-1

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744257 is a reply to message #744255 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 13:47

It's a marathon, not a sprint, so scoring depth is important so that Drai and Connor don't get burned out before the playoffs (if they make them this year). Also, what happens if one or both of them get hurt? If they can't score without 97 or 29, this could still be a long season....

Take the 2 best forwards off of every single team and tell me how that team would do?

I am not saying playing McDavid and Leon until they collapse but if they double shift them a few times, go for it.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744258 is a reply to message #744255 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

That's just it - the more they play, the more exhausted they are, the more the chances of injury go up. They should play more than anyone else on the team. I'm not at all advocating for "rolling four lines", but when Draisaitl is playing 2 minutes more than any other forward in the league, that's too much.

Ideally they're playing 20-22 minutes a night, with very limited PK time.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744260 is a reply to message #744258 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 13:53

That's just it - the more they play, the more exhausted they are, the more the chances of injury go up. They should play more than anyone else on the team. I'm not at all advocating for "rolling four lines", but when Draisaitl is playing 2 minutes more than any other forward in the league, that's too much.

McDavid played 20:25 last night. Leon 21:52. So right in your range. What's the problem?

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744262 is a reply to message #744260 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 14:05

McDavid played 20:25 last night. Leon 21:52. So right in your range. What's the problem?

icon_rolleyes

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744266 is a reply to message #744262 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 14:07

icon_rolleyes

Valid question. You complain about their ice time after just 2 games where they have more than usual time in between games and they didn't have their full line up at center. Then as soon as they have all their centers, they play an acceptable amount of time.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744267 is a reply to message #744260 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Leon playing 26+ minutes in both the first two games is the problem. Those are obscene, lead the league in ice time numbers. Last night they rode Neal (over 21 mins) and McD and Leon were DOWN to 22ish minutes. Unless last night is the new normal, something needs to change.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744269 is a reply to message #744267 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 14:27

Leon playing 26+ minutes in both the first two games is the problem. Those are obscene, lead the league in ice time numbers. Last night they rode Neal (over 21 mins) and McD and Leon were DOWN to 22ish minutes. Unless last night is the new normal, something needs to change.

And that's a game where they had a 3+ goal lead from the 30 minute mark on. Even the Islander in-game crew was commenting in the third period about how much ice time those two were still getting.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744279 is a reply to message #744269 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 14:29

And that's a game where they had a 3+ goal lead from the 30 minute mark on. Even the Islander in-game crew was commenting in the third period about how much ice time those two were still getting.

This is a very important distinction.
I think it is clear that when the game is close the two stars are going to be ran hard. We saw this twice.
Last nights game was never in question so the stars got a rest.

The 3-0 start is great and I am enjoying the heck out of it. I highly doubt that 1 in games the Oilers have the luxury of resting the top 2
I still have big concerns with the bottom 6 pulling enough weight to supplement normal usage from McDavid and Drai. If this team has a shot at the playoffs it is likely going to ride on Batman and Robin dragging the team there on high minute usage.

I am pleasantly surprised by some players so far and hope it continues. I like that Kassian and Neal are scoring. I know they are top 6 but it anything past the Big 3 should be considered a win at this point. I think Haas and Jurco are going to be capable NHL'ers and they were unknowns to me.

The added speed this year is a positive. The pace overall has been nice to watch. The overall puck moving from the blue line is good as well. Bear especially has handled the added pressure and minutes better than I expected.

This team is still full of holes but there are more positives than there has been in many years.

None of those positives will matter if McDavid and/or Drai burn out. The upside here is that both look to be in amazing shape. There were some reports that Drai was like a machine in fitness testing. Hopefully they are able to tough it out.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744270 is a reply to message #744267 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tippett did foreshadow that Sheahan was going to take Drai's PK time, which did happen. We didn't take many penalties of course, but I'd hope there wouldn't have been a reason to load up more ice time for Drai even if we did. We also had lots of PP time, so lots of that 20-22 minutes for the top guys was relatively easy ice time. The key will be not having bottom 2 lines that are a complete disaster like our 4th line was in the first 2 games. 4th line was still scored on last night, but not as egregious overall play as we saw before.

That Colby Cave line really made the first 2 games harder than they should have been. Fingers crossed we can work towards not having a line like that very often again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744273 is a reply to message #744249 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 11:57

Wait are we hating on Nuge now?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744240 is a reply to message #744233 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It's early so I am not prepared to declare that every Holland move is a win yet. What I do like though is that the moves he made were attempts to address Oilers needs. The bets he made were very low risk bets both in term and dollars. The bets me made are going along with how the game is being played.

He made bets on skill guys with speed to play in the bottom 6. Instead of bringing in the likes of Brodziak or Upshall, aging guys who's best days are long behind them and are trending down, he brought in Nygard and Haas. Guys with speed and skill, unproven but have something to prove. I am more confident that Haas can be an effective 4th line center than Brodziak even if he was healthy.

Holland knew he needed to upgrade the speed and puck moving on the defense. In reality, bringing in a proven guy wasn't going to happen. So they used what they have. Playing young players is a risk but they bring what they need. He also brought in a coach willing to use the young guys. I have no doubt in my mind that if McLellan or Hitch was here, Russell would be in the top 4 on his off side and Benning would be in the top 4 as well.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744217 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

JAMES THE FREAKING UN-REAL DEAL NEAL!!
Looks like J. Neal just needed a team he could believe in... :)

Thanks Brad!!
https://www.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Brad-Treliving-1040x572.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 09 October 2019 01:43]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744218 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Just this ...

https://oilersnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Edmonton-Oilers-forward-Zack-Kassian.jpg

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744221 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

It is way too early to give it any real relevance, but go check out the league leaders on NHL.com. Look who's 2nd in +/-.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744275 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/early-returns-neal-lucic -swap-exactly-oilers-flames-hoped/

Eric Francis now trying to claim that 2 fights = 6 goals and Lucic was the main reason the Flames almost won last night.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744276 is a reply to message #744275 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 15:36

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/early-returns-neal-lucic -swap-exactly-oilers-flames-hoped/

Eric Francis now trying to claim that 2 fights = 6 goals and Lucic was the main reason the Flames almost won last night.

In all the rounds of legacy media downsizing we've seen over the past ~10 years I cannot believe that carpetbaggers like Francis have somehow made it through. What value can he possibly provide that a guy who graduated from NAIT 3 years ago couldn't?

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744277 is a reply to message #744275 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I thought Oilers media was bad. Francis is a freaking clown. Even Stauffer isn't this bad. I heard him compare James Neals 6 goals which right now leads the NHL and then said "Lucic is leading the league in his own stats, PIMs".
icon_lol

I don't care who you are and what style of game you like. There isn't a GM around that would take PIMS over goals. I bet Treleving as much as he wanted to make the Flames tougher is not too thrilled seeing Neal with 6 goals and Lucic with not even a point and 1 shot and would gladly trade a few PIMS for some points from Lucic.

Francis actually believes and said it in his article that Flames fans would be happy if Lucic repeated his 6 goals from last year as long as he lumbers around the ice trying to pick fights. At 5.25 mill, is he nuts?

[Updated on: Wed, 09 October 2019 16:16]

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744283 is a reply to message #744277 ]
Wed, 09 October 2019 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 16:02

I thought Oilers media was bad. Francis is a freaking clown. Even Stauffer isn't this bad. I heard him compare James Neals 6 goals which right now leads the NHL and then said "Lucic is leading the league in his own stats, PIMs".
icon_lol

I don't care who you are and what style of game you like. There isn't a GM around that would take PIMS over goals. I bet Treleving as much as he wanted to make the Flames tougher is not too thrilled seeing Neal with 6 goals and Lucic with not even a point and 1 shot and would gladly trade a few PIMS for some points from Lucic.

Francis actually believes and said it in his article that Flames fans would be happy if Lucic repeated his 6 goals from last year as long as he lumbers around the ice trying to pick fights. At 5.25 mill, is he nuts?

PIMs are such a funny stat. It’s super rare that an actual “good” penalty gets taken, like preventing a sure goal or breakaway, but then if somebody has lots of PIMs at the end of the year that’s somehow a positive. Nobody is intimidated nowadays, if they ever were, and frankly I’d take the power play over the intimidation anyways.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744327 is a reply to message #744283 ]
Thu, 10 October 2019 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 09 October 2019 19:02

icon_lol

PIMs are such a funny stat. It’s super rare that an actual “good” penalty gets taken, like preventing a sure goal or breakaway, but then if somebody has lots of PIMs at the end of the year that’s somehow a positive. Nobody is intimidated nowadays, if they ever were, and frankly I’d take the power play over the intimidation anyways.

Travis Yost is rarely a popular guy on this site, but this may change his fortunes a little bit...

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-can-t-like-early-returns-o n-milan-lucic-james-neal-trade-with-edmonton-oilers-1.137919 6

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744330 is a reply to message #744327 ]
Thu, 10 October 2019 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 October 2019 13:51

icon_lol

Travis Yost is rarely a popular guy on this site, but this may change his fortunes a little bit...

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-can-t-like-early-returns-o n-milan-lucic-james-neal-trade-with-edmonton-oilers-1.137919 6

This article is easy pickings for him. The Lucic trade is inexcusable for the Flames. Even if Neal doesn't work out, you can buy him out easily. It's never a good thing to buyout a player but the Oilers could do it and get some benefit from it. Lucic's contract is buyout proof. Then you factor in that Lucic has a no move and Neal doesn't. So when the expansion draft comes which that all know when it is this time, they have to protect Lucic. The Oilers don't have to protect Neal.
So the Flames have hamstringed themselves big time with a player taking up 5.25 mill who can't be a top 6 player. I get they wanted to get tougher and meaner and maybe Lucic brings that element to a degree but to bring a guy in with a contract as BAD as Lucic's contract is, is beyond stupid. They could have gotten a guy to do what Lucic does for easily half the price.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744364 is a reply to message #744330 ]
Thu, 10 October 2019 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 October 2019 14:24

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 October 2019 13:51

icon_lol

This article is easy pickings for him. The Lucic trade is inexcusable for the Flames. Even if Neal doesn't work out, you can buy him out easily. It's never a good thing to buyout a player but the Oilers could do it and get some benefit from it. Lucic's contract is buyout proof. Then you factor in that Lucic has a no move and Neal doesn't. So when the expansion draft comes which that all know when it is this time, they have to protect Lucic. The Oilers don't have to protect Neal.
So the Flames have hamstringed themselves big time with a player taking up 5.25 mill who can't be a top 6 player. I get they wanted to get tougher and meaner and maybe Lucic brings that element to a degree but to bring a guy in with a contract as BAD as Lucic's contract is, is beyond stupid. They could have gotten a guy to do what Lucic does for easily half the price.

It’s a lesson for us that there are buyers out there. There was no other contract out there considered more “untrade-able”.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744365 is a reply to message #744162 ]
Thu, 10 October 2019 19:23 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Sportsnet is really not going to show the overhead view of that goal where Koskinen was on his butt way before the puck went in and Palmiari was standing over him?

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #4)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca