F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers 2019 Training Camp RosterPages (6): [1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742559]
Wed, 11 September 2019 17:00 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Oilers training camp roster for 2019. Still a bit shaky, but I think more potential than last season.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/309073988/bi nary-file/file.pdf

Don't see anybody coming on a PTO.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742561 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Wed, 11 September 2019 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I always hope that they make cuts pretty quickly and get down to numbers where guys who have actual shots at the club aren't there. Just about everyone from the rookie games should be cut pretty quickly.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742572 is a reply to message #742561 ]
Thu, 12 September 2019 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 11 September 2019 17:11

I always hope that they make cuts pretty quickly and get down to numbers where guys who have actual shots at the club aren't there. Just about everyone from the rookie games should be cut pretty quickly.

Should be a interesting battle for the bottom 6. Someone established is going to miss out. Sane as the top 6. I think we will get a surprise there. I don’t ever recall so much openness in the roster without gifted roster spots.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742576 is a reply to message #742572 ]
Thu, 12 September 2019 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Heard a very intelligent quote from Holland regarding young players.

"I'd rather make the call during the season to call a player up than make the call during the season to send the player down"

Makes total sense. It's probably less of a letdown if the player doesn't make opening night roster as opposed to making the roster and then getting sent down because they can't hack it during the regular season.

And on the other side of things it'd be a big boost for them to perform well and get the call to the show. So simple, and yet the exact opposite of the traditional Oiler way.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742578 is a reply to message #742576 ]
Thu, 12 September 2019 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 12 September 2019 08:25

"I'd rather make the call during the season to call a player up than make the call during the season to send the player down"

Makes total sense. It's probably less of a letdown if the player doesn't make opening night roster as opposed to making the roster and then getting sent down because they can't hack it during the regular season.

And on the other side of things it'd be a big boost for them to perform well and get the call to the show. So simple, and yet the exact opposite of the traditional Oiler way.

Of course, he's going to have to send back down most guys that he calls up...What comes up and all that.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742601 is a reply to message #742578 ]
Thu, 12 September 2019 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 September 2019 08:55

Of course, he's going to have to send back down most guys that he calls up...What comes up and all that.

If a D is required on a temporary basis, maybe the Oilers would call up a veteran D from Bakersfield, even if a guy like Bouchard is dominating in the AHL. Holland was saying Bouchard is going to be a first or second pairing defenseman in the NHL, not a # 7 guy who sits in the press box. Of course, it would be fascinating to see a player like Bouchard get some NHL ice time during the season, but it would be disappointing to see him get a call up to the NHL, only to have him sit in the press box or be on a third pairing and get about 4-6 minutes per game. I don't like the idea of a Keagan Lowe or Brandon Manning getting called up even on emergency basis, but there must be a few tweener D that will be in Bakersfield (maybe Bear or Jones, who should be almost "overripe" by now).

It will also be a good test for Woodcroft. He showed last year that he can make the Condors a successful and cohesive team at the AHL level, but I think a big part of his job this year will be to have guys ready to fill in during short-term emergencies at the NHL level.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742604 is a reply to message #742601 ]
Thu, 12 September 2019 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 12 September 2019 12:47

If a D is required on a temporary basis, maybe the Oilers would call up a veteran D from Bakersfield, even if a guy like Bouchard is dominating in the AHL. Holland was saying Bouchard is going to be a first or second pairing defenseman in the NHL, not a # 7 guy who sits in the press box. Of course, it would be fascinating to see a player like Bouchard get some NHL ice time during the season, but it would be disappointing to see him get a call up to the NHL, only to have him sit in the press box or be on a third pairing and get about 4-6 minutes per game. I don't like the idea of a Keagan Lowe or Brandon Manning getting called up even on emergency basis, but there must be a few tweener D that will be in Bakersfield (maybe Bear or Jones, who should be almost "overripe" by now).

It will also be a good test for Woodcroft. He showed last year that he can make the Condors a successful and cohesive team at the AHL level, but I think a big part of his job this year will be to have guys ready to fill in during short-term emergencies at the NHL level.

You would think based on the fact that both have had extended auditions that Bear would be the top RD, and Jones the top LD should need arise. I believe this is the last year either of those guys will be waiver exempt too, so the team needs to make some decisions on where they fit moving forward.

It will be interesting to see how Persson fits in to the mix too. Older player on a one-way deal, so the expectation has to be that he's top 7 unless completely pushed out by one of the young guys.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742703 is a reply to message #742604 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 September 2019 13:39

You would think based on the fact that both have had extended auditions that Bear would be the top RD, and Jones the top LD should need arise. I believe this is the last year either of those guys will be waiver exempt too, so the team needs to make some decisions on where they fit moving forward.

It will be interesting to see how Persson fits in to the mix too. Older player on a one-way deal, so the expectation has to be that he's top 7 unless completely pushed out by one of the young guys.

If Persson does well maybe they can move Benning and bring up Bear or Jones.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742704 is a reply to message #742703 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

stotto wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 07:15

Matt Benning is a player I have time for. I want to know how he was +5 and +11 in years where the Oilers as a team are -29 and -42 respectively.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742716 is a reply to message #742704 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 08:22

Matt Benning is a player I have time for. I want to know how he was +5 and +11 in years where the Oilers as a team are -29 and -42 respectively.

Sheltered minutes.

That’s just a guess though I don’t actually know.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742718 is a reply to message #742716 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 16:56

Sheltered minutes.

Worth noting, the only truly sheltered minutes on the Oilers the last couple years have been while McDavid is on the ice. The team has generally gotten caved in whenever he's not out there.

I don't think Benning's had a tonne of time with McDavid, as the coaches have generally pushed the top pair out behind him, haven't they?

I do think Benning is a little underrated. If he's your 3RD, that's not bad.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742723 is a reply to message #742718 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 17:28

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 16:56

Sheltered minutes.

Worth noting, the only truly sheltered minutes on the Oilers the last couple years have been while McDavid is on the ice. The team has generally gotten caved in whenever he's not out there.

I don't think Benning's had a tonne of time with McDavid, as the coaches have generally pushed the top pair out behind him, haven't they?

I do think Benning is a little underrated. If he's your 3RD, that's not bad.

I don't think I would give up on Benning yet either. If we can keep him on <2M deals, I think he can still grow into a 2nd pair guy. He was sheltered for sure, from the perspective of his % of time vs top competition, but in that time he did play against top players, he was one of our best performers vs that tier.

Benning is like a poor man's Petry. He makes good plays, quite a bit of them, but he also has massive super visible brain farts. Overall, the good stuff is almost always cancelling out the bad, but because the bad is so visible, there is a pattern created that makes it easy to single him out as a scapegoat. Obviously typical fans prefer guys like Russell that are giving up the blue line and sliding around on the ice and making lame passes up the boards that consistently ensure you're stuck in your own end more often than you should be. That's OK, because a Russell at least doesn't make the odd super bad giveaway to a guy right in front of the net.

It was actually nice to hear Tippett make comments along this line when talking about analytics. He gave an example almost exactly like this, where he had a Dman that he believed was very solid defensively, and a guy that he thought had defensive warts in his game. But he realized looking at the stats that the guy that appeared to be good defensively was actually causing the team to be on the defense more often which pretty much is Russell in a nutshell (he wasn't talking about Russell of course). The other guy was helping keep pucks out of their end and removing the need to defend, which is much preferred.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 September 2019 20:59]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742586 is a reply to message #742576 ]
Thu, 12 September 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am hoping that comment will make it so players who maybe are close to NHL ready buy probably could use a little more time are sent down to the AHL. For too many years, there have been players who had good camps, were close to being ready but probably could use just a little more time to finish off their development. But rather than send them down to the AHL and let them finish off developing, the Oilers kept them up.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742707 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Apparently Russell "collided with a teammate" * at the last informal skate before camp. Is officially in concussion protocol and missed the first official camp practice.

Hopefully a long recovery and LTIR in his future**

* perhaps collided with a teammate was code for Kassian blindsiding him with an old school elbow? All part of Holland's master plan!

**I wish no actual poor health to Russell, but cant wait until he is no longer an Oiler

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742708 is a reply to message #742707 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 13:15

Apparently Russell "collided with a teammate" * at the last informal skate before camp. Is officially in concussion protocol and missed the first official camp practice.

* perhaps collided with a teammate was code for Kassian blindsiding him with an old school elbow? All part of Holland's master plan!

**I wish no actual poor health to Russell, but cant wait until he is no longer an Oiler

That's harsh. I don't mind Russell. I just don't like the $4MM of cap space and NMC that the former GM gave him.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742709 is a reply to message #742708 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 12:51

That's harsh. I don't mind Russell. I just don't like the $4MM of cap space and NMC that the former GM gave him.

I'm interested to see him play on the left side, could make an appreciable difference, the guy gives it everything every shift, so I've found it hard to be too negative about him.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742717 is a reply to message #742709 ]
Sat, 14 September 2019 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 14:28

Pseudoreality wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 12:51

I'm interested to see him play on the left side, could make an appreciable difference, the guy gives it everything every shift, so I've found it hard to be too negative about him.

I long ago got over the fascination with players who look like they're trying REALLY hard. Lots of reasons for that:

- inefficient skaters often look like they're working harder than players with effortless strides - even though they're usually slower and less effective.
- usually it just means the guy sacrifices the body - through hitting, fighting or in Russell's case, shot blocking. Those things can be useful, but tend to be badly over-valued.
- the media has long idolized the guy with no talent who scrapes his way on to the bottom of the roster...but there's usually someone better out there who can take that spot. Give me an ultra-talented guy who scores 30 a year and doesn't make it look hard over that 4-goal scorer who grits it out every time.

Tippett apparently suggested one of the reasons that they're moving Russell back on the left is because of his tendency to surrender the blueline. I think a guy who makes it easy for the other team to enter the zone, and then struggles to get it back out with possession is a guy the team would do well to replace. Even if he tries really hard.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742726 is a reply to message #742708 ]
Sun, 15 September 2019 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Pseudoreality wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 13:51

Not harsh at all. I hope he is ok. Concussions are no joke.

I think that Russell is not a top 6 player in the league any more. If he is even a quarter step slower than last year he will be getting walked almost every shift.

I dont know what anyone sees in him at this point.
- He looks like he tries hard yet accomplishes very little. Part of that is his terribly inefficient skating stride.
- he gives up the blue line like a forward stuck back on defence with no concept of gap control. When was the last time you saw him break up a play in the neutral zone?
- he has one of the worst defensive sticks I have ever seen in the pros. How often do you see him break up a play in the D zone with his stick?
- he gives the other team all the room in the world then stands in the slot blocking shots.
- he brings zero offence

Screw his salary. I think by cap end there is a good chance he is the 7th or 8th best player back there. His cap hit is just icing on this terrible cake.

This team on paper isnt a playoff team yet. Holland has done some work to fix past mistakes, Lucic being the biggest.
Replacing the lowest rung on defence, Russell, with a real player would be a huge step forward. Especially when our goal tending is likely to be below playoff caliber as well.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742729 is a reply to message #742726 ]
Sun, 15 September 2019 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 15 September 2019 01:26

Pseudoreality wrote on Sat, 14 September 2019 13:51

Not harsh at all. I hope he is ok. Concussions are no joke.

I think that Russell is not a top 6 player in the league any more. If he is even a quarter step slower than last year he will be getting walked almost every shift.

I dont know what anyone sees in him at this point.
- He looks like he tries hard yet accomplishes very little. Part of that is his terribly inefficient skating stride.
- he gives up the blue line like a forward stuck back on defence with no concept of gap control. When was the last time you saw him break up a play in the neutral zone?
- he has one of the worst defensive sticks I have ever seen in the pros. How often do you see him break up a play in the D zone with his stick?
- he gives the other team all the room in the world then stands in the slot blocking shots.
- he brings zero offence

Screw his salary. I think by cap end there is a good chance he is the 7th or 8th best player back there. His cap hit is just icing on this terrible cake.

This team on paper isnt a playoff team yet. Holland has done some work to fix past mistakes, Lucic being the biggest.
Replacing the lowest rung on defence, Russell, with a real player would be a huge step forward. Especially when our goal tending is likely to be below playoff caliber as well.

People forget that we had to sign him to 4 x $4million because of the risk of offer sheets

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742731 is a reply to message #742729 ]
Sun, 15 September 2019 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

If anyone wanted more hilarious proof that Matheson is just senile now:

Brandon Manning is Edmonton Oilers forgotten defenceman

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742732 is a reply to message #742731 ]
Sun, 15 September 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 15 September 2019 12:03

If anyone wanted more hilarious proof that Matheson is just senile now:

Brandon Manning is Edmonton Oilers forgotten defenceman

Still trying to fish for Peter Chiarelli's favour?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742748 is a reply to message #742732 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The Oilers assign 2 players back to their CHL (QMJHL) teams.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-assign-pair-t o-qmjhl/c-309155134?tid=281885062

" The Edmonton Oilers have assigned two draft picks to junior. There are now 52 players in camp, including five goaltenders, 16 defencemen and 31 forwards.

The Oilers assigned the following two players today:

Raphael Lavoie - assigned to Halifax (QMJHL)

Olivier Rodrigue - assigned to Moncton (QMJHL)"

I would expect a major culling of the herd early this week with the 2 pre-season games tonight and Tuesday.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742762 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

First pre-season game at 7pm today, vs the Jets.

Reid Wilkins @ReidWilkins
Expected F lines:
Neal-RNH-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Nygard-Haas-Chiasson
Benson-Cave-P. Russell

D:
Klefbom-Persson
Jones-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

G are Wells and Skinner. Not sure who starts.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742771 is a reply to message #742762 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 10:09

Expected F lines:
Neal-RNH-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Nygard-Haas-Chiasson
Benson-Cave-P. Russell

D:
Klefbom-Persson
Jones-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

I could see the first 3 lines you listed as being lines, 2, 3, 4 for the start of the season. Only line missing is McDavid's. The only guy missing is Granlund and I just wonder if he would replace say a Gagner to provide some speed to that line.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742780 is a reply to message #742771 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 11:02

Expected F lines:
Neal-RNH-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Nygard-Haas-Chiasson
Benson-Cave-P. Russell

D:
Klefbom-Persson
Jones-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

I could see the first 3 lines you listed as being lines, 2, 3, 4 for the start of the season. Only line missing is McDavid's. The only guy missing is Granlund and I just wonder if he would replace say a Gagner to provide some speed to that line.

Here is hoping Neal finds some early chemistry with 93. Really interested in watching this one. Let’s see who really wants these bottom 6 spots. Should be lots of effort from all of the lines and pairings.

Or there should be. If not.....yikes.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742795 is a reply to message #742780 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am hoping to see some bigger cuts coming soon after this game. Maybe you keep up some of the AHL guys who maybe have a remote shot but I would be cutting all the AHL/ECHL guys asap.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742834 is a reply to message #742795 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Liking the speed of transition out of our zone in that first period. Bouchard & Persson both with some nice zone exits.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742835 is a reply to message #742834 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 19:55

Liking the speed of transition out of our zone in that first period. Bouchard & Persson both with some nice zone exits.

Always a grain of salt in the preseason but I think the Oilers will be really tempted to keep Bouchard this season.
This is the first I have watched closely but he looks good enough.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742843 is a reply to message #742835 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Bouchard looks solid and Benson looks like he's not far off. Great puck control in tight and quicker than what I've been led to believe.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742837 is a reply to message #742834 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gross. Replace them with some good old boys that put the puck along the boards like real men.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742838 is a reply to message #742837 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 20:03

Gross. Replace them with some good old boys that put the puck along the boards like real men.

Agreed. If I dont see more pucks off the glass I would have them skating the Scottish mile at practice for an hour

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742846 is a reply to message #742780 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 11:38

Expected F lines:
Neal-RNH-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Nygard-Haas-Chiasson
Benson-Cave-P. Russell

D:
Klefbom-Persson
Jones-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

Here is hoping Neal finds some early chemistry with 93. Really interested in watching this one. Let’s see who really wants these bottom 6 spots. Should be lots of effort from all of the lines and pairings.

Neal and Nuge didn't look too bad tonight, and it'll improve, but so will level of competition. The 2-0 goal by Nuge looked too easy. I'm not going to worry too much about them, but will Gagner stick on the other wing?

Impressed with Bouchard and Persson as well. Bouchard nearly connected on a sick backdoor pass to Nuge. Benson would benefit from better linemates, I'd like to see that before the end of preseason.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742848 is a reply to message #742846 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 21:16

Expected F lines:
Neal-RNH-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Nygard-Haas-Chiasson
Benson-Cave-P. Russell

D:
Klefbom-Persson
Jones-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

Neal and Nuge didn't look too bad tonight, and it'll improve, but so will level of competition. The 2-0 goal by Nuge looked too easy. I'm not going to worry too much about them, but will Gagner stick on the other wing?

Impressed with Bouchard and Persson as well. Bouchard nearly connected on a sick backdoor pass to Nuge. Benson would benefit from better linemates, I'd like to see that before the end of preseason.

If history is any indication, 89 will slide up and down and up and down lines 1 through 4 as the season progresses.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742849 is a reply to message #742846 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 22:16

Expected F lines:
Neal-RNH-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Nygard-Haas-Chiasson
Benson-Cave-P. Russell

D:
Klefbom-Persson
Jones-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

Love to see Benson up with Neal and Nuge. He looked solid tonight. Couple nifty passes in the offensive end and another one on a zone entry. Terrible jersey number though.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 September 2019 06:47]

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742851 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Mon, 16 September 2019 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

'The New Deal' scores in his first preseason game. Nice!!!

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742863 is a reply to message #742851 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 22:53

'The New Deal' scores in his first preseason game. Nice!!!

Even though it's early in preseason and the competition wasn't exactly stellar, you definitely want a guy like Neal scoring early to give a boost to the confidence based on the rough season he had last year.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742880 is a reply to message #742863 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Tom Gazola tweeted the lines for the game tonight in Vancouver

Benson - McLeod- Hebig
Gamberdella - Malone - Peluso
Granlund - Cave - P.Russell
Jurco - Marody - Currie

Nurse - Larsson
Samorukov - Bouchard
Manning - Bear

Starrett

Extras are Jones, Haas, Wells.

Not much in the way of guys who are for sure on the team. I understand why you play a guy like Malone. He's in your organization, they I am sure they need a NHL vet to make the quota and you have to give him the chance to "show off what he can do". But I would hope that guys like him who really are what they are, there is not untapped potential and there is a reason he's not a full time NHL at this point in his career, don't get a long look and are sent down soon. Once you get past this first week stuff, I would rather see a guy like Haas who's an unknown get the ice time to see if he's anything.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742885 is a reply to message #742880 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I thought the Oilers wanted Koskinen to play a lot in the pre-season, and playing behind this mostly AHL caliber team would be a good warmup for him. Oh. well, no big deal. Starrett, in my opinion, is the best backup the Oilers have for Smith and Koskinen, so he might as well show his stuff.

Bouchard is getting a long look this training camp, and he certainly isn't doing anything wrong so far. Tonight should be a good test for him. I understand the Canucks will be playing a lot of their projected season-opening lineup.

The game is on all the Sportsnet channels. I would guess the broadcast team will be the usual gang of clowns that are the regular Canucks TV crew. Oh, well, ours isn't much better.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742887 is a reply to message #742885 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

In a dream scenario, Persson is a capable player. Bear has a good camp and demands a spot in the NHL. I'm expecting that Bouchard will have a good camp but in my scenario, because the other 2 are good, they are forced to send Bouchard down. Hopefully Jones shows well and even Lagesson. So all of a sudden the Oilers have a glutton of good dmen that allows them to move the likes of a Russell and a Benning in the near future just to open up spots.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742894 is a reply to message #742885 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 17 September 2019 11:17

I thought the Oilers wanted Koskinen to play a lot in the pre-season, and playing behind this mostly AHL caliber team would be a good warmup for him. Oh. well, no big deal. Starrett, in my opinion, is the best backup the Oilers have for Smith and Koskinen, so he might as well show his stuff.

Bouchard is getting a long look this training camp, and he certainly isn't doing anything wrong so far. Tonight should be a good test for him. I understand the Canucks will be playing a lot of their projected season-opening lineup.

The game is on all the Sportsnet channels. I would guess the broadcast team will be the usual gang of clowns that are the regular Canucks TV crew. Oh, well, ours isn't much better.

See if Garret dyed his hair again.. and still without the moustache.. he looked like a tortoise head last year.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Pages (6): [1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Burdasov joining Oilers on PTO
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca