This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739703]
Mon, 01 July 2019 12:22 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Oilers announce deal with Thomas Jurco for one year.

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
750k for Jurco

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122629

26 year old LW, red wings draft pick from 2011. Decent talent that has consistently made traction in the NHL. Had a good AHL playoffs. Has been dealing with back issues/surgeries that have been derailing his career the last few years.

In other words, McDavid's new LW for next season :)

[Updated on: Mon, 01 July 2019 12:24]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739706 is a reply to message #739703 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Puts the Condors over the hump. It’s what winning franchises do.

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739712 is a reply to message #739703 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

This could be fine, but is Holland showing some pretty obvioust Detroit biases? We know he's targeted Filppula, Nyquist, and now Jurco.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739713 is a reply to message #739712 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 13:12

This could be fine, but is Holland showing some pretty obvioust Detroit biases? We know he's targeted Filppula, Nyquist, and now Jurco.

Thinking he was trying to work within a tight budget. He knew the price points and what they brought to the table. Not sold on Jurco, but Filppula and Nyqvist would of fit in pretty well on our team.

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739810 is a reply to message #739703 ]
Tue, 02 July 2019 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

sound sliek Jurco was fighting injuries that last year or so .. this is a reclamation project of a skilled former prospect.. its a lotto ticket..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739814 is a reply to message #739810 ]
Tue, 02 July 2019 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 02 July 2019 14:31

sound sliek Jurco was fighting injuries that last year or so .. this is a reclamation project of a skilled former prospect.. its a lotto ticket..

Another cheap bet. If it doesn't work, he's just an expensive AHLer, which doesn't impact the cap - and he might get picked up on waivers anyhow.

Don't mind the shot.

Career high of 18 points, and spent all last year in the AHL though, so again - no one should have much expectations of this guy outside the bottom six.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739820 is a reply to message #739814 ]
Tue, 02 July 2019 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 02 July 2019 14:53

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 02 July 2019 14:31

Another cheap bet. If it doesn't work, he's just an expensive AHLer, which doesn't impact the cap - and he might get picked up on waivers anyhow.

Don't mind the shot.

Career high of 18 points, and spent all last year in the AHL though, so again - no one should have much expectations of this guy outside the bottom six.

File this one under "..you never know"

Update, check out this YouTube on Jurco in his draft year, guy has some skill! Interesting....

[Updated on: Tue, 02 July 2019 23:16]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739829 is a reply to message #739820 ]
Wed, 03 July 2019 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

He's this years Rattie. A tweener NHLer who has lots of skill but hasn't found traction. The good thing is he's really fast which the Oilers need. If he could become a bottom 6 guy, that would be great.

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739836 is a reply to message #739829 ]
Wed, 03 July 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 July 2019 07:10

He's this years Rattie. A tweener NHLer who has lots of skill but hasn't found traction. The good thing is he's really fast which the Oilers need. If he could become a bottom 6 guy, that would be great.

He lit up the Q in his junior days, was on a line with Huberdeau in St Johns, had same goals (30) in 2011/2012

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739838 is a reply to message #739836 ]
Wed, 03 July 2019 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am hoping for a few guys to chip in 10-15 goals, something that the Oilers severely lacked last year. He had 6 goals in 29 games in 17-18. So maybe it's possible. The good thing about him is he can skate so he might be a better bet to do that than Rattie.

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739840 is a reply to message #739838 ]
Wed, 03 July 2019 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 July 2019 10:15

I am hoping for a few guys to chip in 10-15 goals, something that the Oilers severely lacked last year. He had 6 goals in 29 games in 17-18. So maybe it's possible. The good thing about him is he can skate so he might be a better bet to do that than Rattie.

Agree .. skating will go a long to help this lineups bottom 8

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739843 is a reply to message #739838 ]
Wed, 03 July 2019 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 July 2019 11:15

Only 6 Oilers last year with 10 or more goals, and one of those was Darnell Nurse, who I don't think you should expect double digit contributions from most seasons.

Caggiula, with 7 goals in 29 games was still seventh on the team in goal scoring - pretty incredible lack of depth production.

The top six goal scorers made up 166 of the team's 232 goals for a stunning 72%.

For comparison, the Lightning's top six goal scorers scored 197 times and the team scored 325 goals. Only 61% generated by the top six guys, despite the fact there's some really elite guys in that group and three 40+ goal scorers.

The depth group for the Lightning outscored the Oilers depth by 62 goals.

On the other side of the coin, the lowest scoring team in the league was the Ducks with just 199 goals. Their top six guys had 99 combined, so their depth outscored the Oilers depth by 34 goals.

I don't have time to do all the math here, but I think it's a pretty decent bet that the Oilers were the league's worst team on depth scoring last year, so a few different faces in the bottom six is welcome. You have to hope SOMEONE can chip in a few, especially since as it sits right now, I think it's likely that we're going to see some decline in the top-six goal scoring.

Draisaitl - 50 - likely declines based on his out of this world shooting percentage of 21.6% last year. Among top scorers, only Brayden Point had a comparable number last year...I'd expect both players to see that decline in 2019-20.
McDavid - 41 - probably scores in the 40s again, health allowing. He's remarkably consistent, and I could even see him a little higher. Maybe he and Draisaitl are a wash in the end.
Nugent-Hopkins - 28 - Probably can hold serve here. It would help if we had anyone for him to play with.
Chiasson - 22 - likely to decline this year. This was a career best by 9 goals for a guy who was 28 years old. A reasonable expectation would be 13-15 - closer to his career norm.
Kassian - 15 - Another career high. Also a career high in number of shots, so maybe if he keeps his shot rates coming at the same pace he can duplicate this, but if I was gambling on it, I'd probably take the under. Maybe 12-13 is a reasonable guess.
Nurse - 10 - Tied for 26th in the league in goal scoring amongst defencemen. Only 29 blue-liners had 10 or more goals, and Nurse benefited from Klefbom's injuries to get the powerplay push. He may not get that next year. He's not a great shooter, so I think it's a stretch to expect 10 out of him again. Maybe Klefbom can increase his output to offset any drop from Nurse...

If we shed 5-10 goals from that top six, we probably need the bottom part of the roster to add at least 25 to be in the playoff conversation even, considering the only teams with even close to our production to make the playoffs were the Predators and Islanders - two teams that were really stingy goal-wise...that's something I wouldn't count on with a Koskinen/Smith tandem...

Hopefully some of these new guys can be part of that solution...we could sure use some luck.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y [message #739845 is a reply to message #739843 ]
Wed, 03 July 2019 11:56 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Leon- If he plays with McDavid, 50 might be possible again but I wouldn't bet on it. Not very many 50 goal guys except for Ovie over a the last 10 yrs? I could see around 40.
McDavid - I think gets 40 again.
Nuge- I think this past season was a career year for Nuge. He had time with McDavid which boosted his numbers. Probably more like a 22-25 goal.
Kassian- I am guessing that they try him with McDavid. Why not, I would. So if that happens, I think he gets his 15. I don't see anymore though.
Chiasson - I see him getting mid teens.
Nurse - I could see get close to 10.
Klef - I could see him getting close to 10.
Khaira - Had 3. I don't see how he can't improve on that and get close to 10.
Lucic - Had 6 goals. I don't expect a lot but I think he gets 10-12.
Gagner - had 5 in 25 games. I think he gets about 12-13.
Grandlund - 12-15
Nygard- Call me optimistic but with his speed, I think he gets 10-12.

For all the roster issues the Oilers have with forwards, Tippett might be the perfect coach. He has a long history of getting a ton out of his players, especially lower players. In his years in Arizona where the management gave him little to work with, he seemed to have a whole team of 3rd and 4th liners who all seemed to give him 10-12 goals.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 July 2019 12:01]

Previous Topic:Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers
Next Topic:Oilers sign Gaetan Haas to ELC
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca