This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the OilersPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738064]
Mon, 27 May 2019 23:32 Go to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

Thought he was happy with his Seatle gig--but the oilers have a presser sometime today (according to twitter) where he gets the top job

will wait to pass judgement

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /the-edmonton-oilers-darnell-nurse-dave-tippett-and-the-poss ibility-of-an-edmonton-offer-sheet-for-a-scoring-winger-9-th ings
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-oilers-expected-to-name-dave -tippett-head-coach-022058065.html?guccounter=1&guce_ref errer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig= AQAAAGBxkEixErxJW71Yeuzv-y-p_01yVi0p3OYiwTKtMLLEVRuCrHF-l3pV Oehp-XvfzNdDKMxfXB50A4PU2CV76e3sEMeaN0rCcl32h_CAOvdNiGmjE2sZ 9-F59n5aioQjvv523hyfrEkCXkD8wo66MdV6j1dcumvlJ8dENuBsBEB_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkUuy1wiVdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6BB5sjPtk

[Updated on: Mon, 27 May 2019 23:40]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738066 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Mon, 27 May 2019 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I'm too burnt out on the team overall to get excited about any hires. But Tippett seems like a reasonable name to bring in. Really though, the problem is Holland's to fix by giving him a decent roster.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738068 is a reply to message #738066 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 27 May 2019 23:41

I'm too burnt out on the team overall to get excited about any hires. But Tippett seems like a reasonable name to bring in. Really though, the problem is Holland's to fix by giving him a decent roster.

Another defensively-minded coach, so that should at least help with stemming the bleeding on defense and goaltending. He seems to be more progressive than Hitch, though. Maybe another Quenneville situation in the making...? Just idle speculation, as I'm far too jaded to feel more than curiosity.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738070 is a reply to message #738068 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 00:43

Another defensively-minded coach, so that should at least help with stemming the bleeding on defense and goaltending. He seems to be more progressive than Hitch, though. Maybe another Quenneville situation in the making...? Just idle speculation, as I'm far too jaded to feel more than curiosity.

The glimmer of hope is all his time in Pheonix. Literally a bargain bin roster but still got them playing to their top potential and making our lives miserable season after season.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738073 is a reply to message #738070 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 02:19

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 00:43

The glimmer of hope is all his time in Pheonix. Literally a bargain bin roster but still got them playing to their top potential and making our lives miserable season after season.

Hope he can somehow get this roster to create more neutral zone turnovers. The whole defensive shell and trying to start every transition from your own red line thing is impossible for 75% of our current roster. McDavid and Drai would benefit a lot if our team could find a way to create more turnovers earlier than deep in our zone.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738075 is a reply to message #738073 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

In my opinion while the Oilers could use more scoring depth especially on the wings, their biggest problem was keeping the puck out of the net. Tippet was typically good at getting the most out of his players. For years he had a team full of 3rd and 4th liners that overachieved. Maybe he can get the likes of Khaira to be more consistent. He went from 11 goals to 3 this past season. Lucic is a bottom 6 forward now. Assuming he isn't traded, maybe he can get more out of Lucic.

We will see.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738076 is a reply to message #738075 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:16

Lucic is a bottom 6 forward now. Assuming he isn't traded, maybe he can get more out of Lucic.

It sucks, but with his contract structure, at this point I would just count it as a sunk cost and move on. No sense in buying him out as we won't save anything. If someone wants to take him off our hands, fine, but he still showed to be an NHLer here and there last year, so we just keep him and hope he either gets a little quicker, or develops Hossa-itis.

As you say - Tippett has gotten more from less, so, yet again because I'm stupid and I never learn, I will be optimistic that he can be a super expensive but OK 3rd liner.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738077 is a reply to message #738076 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 08:37

Lucic is a bottom 6 forward now. Assuming he isn't traded, maybe he can get more out of Lucic.

It sucks, but with his contract structure, at this point I would just count it as a sunk cost and move on. No sense in buying him out as we won't save anything. If someone wants to take him off our hands, fine, but he still showed to be an NHLer here and there last year, so we just keep him and hope he either gets a little quicker, or develops Hossa-itis.

As you say - Tippett has gotten more from less, so, yet again because I'm stupid and I never learn, I will be optimistic that he can be a super expensive but OK 3rd liner.

A buyout of Lucic doesn't make sense in my mind. If you can find a trade and it doesn't cripple the team, then I think you have to do it. I'd even retain 50% because I think it's addition by subtraction if anything just for the team mentality plus 3 mill in cap savings is useful. I am just not sure there is a team that would do it. So maybe by some miracle, Tippet can get Lucic back to producing at a 3rd liner rate. I won't hold my breath but it would be huge if he could.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738079 is a reply to message #738076 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Alex Steen is a fourth liner in St Louis this year (again - worth noting that none of the teams that went deep this year rely on a 4th line to simply check and hit). I think that maybe the approach with Lucic has to be similar (even though he's not as good as Steen). Play him way down the roster, and hope that he can at least match up okay against other team's fourth lines. There's just no point giving him a push and hoping when he's shown nothing to deserve that.

Tippett...well, I'll reserve judgement. I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738081 is a reply to message #738079 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 12:13

Alex Steen is a fourth liner in St Louis this year (again - worth noting that none of the teams that went deep this year rely on a 4th line to simply check and hit). I think that maybe the approach with Lucic has to be similar (even though he's not as good as Steen). Play him way down the roster, and hope that he can at least match up okay against other team's fourth lines. There's just no point giving him a push and hoping when he's shown nothing to deserve that.

That's what I was trying to say but failed apparently. I don't want him given a push, and I don't want to buy him out, and I don't want to retain anything. He';s here, we're stuck with him, he's not very good, and he's hella expensive.

I would hope for more of his better games from last year, as a 3rd/4th liner. I don't want to see him getting PP1 time. MAYBE 1 down with the goalie pulled for a big body in front of the net, but he should be nowhere near the top in TOI for PP.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738082 is a reply to message #738081 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 09:37

He';s here, we're stuck with him, he's not very good, and he's hella expensive.

This describes almost everyone in management.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738083 is a reply to message #738082 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

News conference at 11 AM today.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-media-advisory-edmon ton-oilers-hockey-club-announcement/c-307575428

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738084 is a reply to message #738082 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 09:48

He';s here, we're stuck with him, he's not very good, and he's hella expensive.

This describes almost everyone in management.

Do you realize that this management team has more Stanley Cup rings than almost any other in the entire league!?!?

And the number of Olympic Championship rings they have (not medals, since they're not players) is unparalleled too!

Do you think that kind of championship pedigree is going to come for free?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738086 is a reply to message #738081 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 12:13

That's what I was trying to say but failed apparently. I don't want him given a push, and I don't want to buy him out, and I don't want to retain anything. He';s here, we're stuck with him, he's not very good, and he's hella expensive.

I would hope for more of his better games from last year, as a 3rd/4th liner. I don't want to see him getting PP1 time. MAYBE 1 down with the goalie pulled for a big body in front of the net, but he should be nowhere near the top in TOI for PP.

In all likelihood, Lucic will be an Oilers this year. At this point the contract is what it is. It a crappy contract but they need to get as much out of him as they can. So put him into a position that he can hopefully succeed in. I am of the opinion that with Chia gone, it will be a lot easier for the coach to play him where he should which is as a bottom 6 forward. Chia signed him to be a top 6 player so there would be pressure I am sure for the coach to force feed him top 6 opportunities. He's not able to be that. Play him in a bottom 6 role where hopefully he can excel and maybe you get lucky and he can give you decent 3rd liner production. But at least be realistic and don't expect him to be a top 6 guy.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738087 is a reply to message #738086 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

The press conference will be live streamed at the sportsnet.ca website

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/watch-live-edmonton-oile rs-introduce-new-head-coach-dave-tippett/

Also on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiQcMI8jVm0

If we can hear what questions are being asked and not just the answers from the podium, that would be ground breaking.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738090 is a reply to message #738087 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 10:45

The press conference will be live streamed at the sportsnet.ca website

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/watch-live-edmonton-oile rs-introduce-new-head-coach-dave-tippett/

Also on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiQcMI8jVm0

If we can hear what questions are being asked and not just the answers from the podium, that would be ground breaking.

How huge would the explosion in Edmonton be if they announced MacT as the new head coach!

He's had a lot of success with the Oilers, including, being within 1 period of the SC!

computer computer computer computer computer computer computer icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738091 is a reply to message #738087 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 09:45

They did fire JJ Hebert, so, fingers crossed!

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738092 is a reply to message #738091 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 10:05

First question from Bob, and he's coming through loud and clear! Everything is looking up!

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738093 is a reply to message #738092 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:09

First question from Bob, and he's coming through loud and clear! Everything is looking up!

Finally, real change that works! Where do i buy a luxury box?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738095 is a reply to message #738093 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:28

Goose wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:09

Finally, real change that works! Where do i buy a luxury box?

Analytics since 1995! He just made a lot of friends and a lot of enemies.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Dave Tipper to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738085 is a reply to message #738079 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 09:13

Lucic will be a tough nut to crack. Guy has been going through the motions for some time now. I would really prefer that Tippett not have to waste his energy on trying to get Lucic's butt in gear to at least embrace a crash and banger role on the team, so he is at least doing something out there aside from weak routine hits and giveaways.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738078 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Here's my official take on Tippett:

When he was in AZ i liked how he was able to get the team rowing in the same direction, turning an awful team into a middle of the pack one. Arizona had its own set of struggles at the time so the limited success can't fully be blamed on him.

Edmonton has its own set of struggles at this time which are beyond a coach's ability to influence or change. But maybe, just maybe, a bit of structure plus McDavid (with two knees) and Draisatl gets the team fighting for playoffs this season and, as we slowly exit cap hell, into the space we should have been entering prior to the Hall trade.

Over to you Ken.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738089 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

vagabond wrote on Mon, 27 May 2019 23:32

Thought he was happy with his Seatle gig--but the oilers have a presser sometime today (according to twitter) where he gets the top job

will wait to pass judgement

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /the-edmonton-oilers-darnell-nurse-dave-tippett-and-the-poss ibility-of-an-edmonton-offer-sheet-for-a-scoring-winger-9-th ings
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-oilers-expected-to-name-dave -tippett-head-coach-022058065.html?guccounter=1&guce_ref errer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig= AQAAAGBxkEixErxJW71Yeuzv-y-p_01yVi0p3OYiwTKtMLLEVRuCrHF-l3pV Oehp-XvfzNdDKMxfXB50A4PU2CV76e3sEMeaN0rCcl32h_CAOvdNiGmjE2sZ 9-F59n5aioQjvv523hyfrEkCXkD8wo66MdV6j1dcumvlJ8dENuBsBEB_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkUuy1wiVdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6BB5sjPtk

Sarcastic thought.. Tippett figures he'll be out of the job should the Oilers not improve so j=he will be available.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738094 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Press conferences notes:

- regarding assistant coaches, Tippett will talk to the current ones first before making decisions. Mentioned that he knows Gulutzan and Yawney.
- when asked how he'd like to use Draisaitl and McDavid, sounds like he's leaning to leaving them together but he's not stuck on that.
- he laughs at the notion that he's a defensive coach. Was hired in Dallas to inject offense. Just tries to find ways to win.
- Ken Holland thought experience and stability were important in the hire.
- Tippett had some other opportunities in a few years while advising Seattle but timing wasn't right.
- says that people still think highly of this organization... hahaha
- never was going to be a GM in Seattle. No desire to do so.
- when asked about analytics, mentions that he's been using analytics since the 90s. Believes in it as a tool. Worked with Chayka in Arizona. Specifically likes scoring chances for and against.

Clean house or bust

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738103 is a reply to message #738094 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 13:31

Press conferences notes:

- regarding assistant coaches, Tippett will talk to the current ones first before making decisions. Mentioned that he knows Gulutzan and Yawney.
- when asked how he'd like to use Draisaitl and McDavid, sounds like he's leaning to leaving them together but he's not stuck on that.
- he laughs at the notion that he's a defensive coach. Was hired in Dallas to inject offense. Just tries to find ways to win.
- Tippett had some other opportunities in a few years while advising Seattle but timing wasn't right.
- when asked about analytics, mentions that he's been using analytics since the 90s. Believes in it as a tool. Worked with Chayka in Arizona. Specifically likes scoring chances for and against.

Well when you have to replace a super defensive coach like Ken Hitchcock...

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738108 is a reply to message #738103 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 12:18

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 13:31

Press conferences notes:

Well when you have to replace a super defensive coach like Ken Hitchcock...

Didn't realize that until your post. 2nd time Tippett takes over a Hitch team in the NHL :)

Guess there was an interim coach between Hitch and Tippett in 2002, but that doesn't really count.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738140 is a reply to message #738103 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Most encouraging thing out of that whole press conference?

Quote:

The first order of business for Tippett is to put together his coaching staff. Currently, Oilers assistants Glen Gulutzan, Trent Yawney, Manny Viveiros and Dustin Schwartz are in limbo regarding their fate.

“That’s up to Dave,” Holland said. “When I had Jeff Blashill and I had Mike Babcock, I told them to put their staff together and they come to me and I’ll rubber stamp it. He’s got to work with those guys on an everyday basis, and if I tell him who his assistants are and if they don’t have chemistry, it probably isn’t going to be successful.”

Too often we've seen the GM have a lot of say in Edmonton about who else is on the bench. That sets up a situation where it isn't clear who's ultimately responsible or in charge. I hope this is true and that Tippett gets to pick his help, and isn't just encouraged to keep the other guys around.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738143 is a reply to message #738140 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 22:42

Quote:

The first order of business for Tippett is to put together his coaching staff. Currently, Oilers assistants Glen Gulutzan, Trent Yawney, Manny Viveiros and Dustin Schwartz are in limbo regarding their fate.

“That’s up to Dave,” Holland said. “When I had Jeff Blashill and I had Mike Babcock, I told them to put their staff together and they come to me and I’ll rubber stamp it. He’s got to work with those guys on an everyday basis, and if I tell him who his assistants are and if they don’t have chemistry, it probably isn’t going to be successful.”

Too often we've seen the GM have a lot of say in Edmonton about who else is on the bench. That sets up a situation where it isn't clear who's ultimately responsible or in charge. I hope this is true and that Tippett gets to pick his help, and isn't just encouraged to keep the other guys around.

It's strange seeing my professional hockey team being run like a professional hockey team.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738144 is a reply to message #738143 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 00:48

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 22:42

Quote:

It's strange seeing my professional hockey team being run like a professional hockey team.

Well, we'll see if it's just lip service or not here in the coming days and weeks. If Kelly Buchberger somehow ends up on the staff again, I'll be suspicious.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738096 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Tweets from Friedman and Lebrun say that the contract is 3 years, around 2.75-3 million per year.

Clean house or bust

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738097 is a reply to message #738096 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:36

Tweets from Friedman and Lebrun say that the contract is 3 years, around 2.75-3 million per year.

Wow. If that is true, that's cheap. Compared to what McLellan got and especially Kruger who has been basically out of the NHL for 5 yrs. No wonder it took so long to get done.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738098 is a reply to message #738096 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 10:36

Holland was 5x5

Tippett at 3x3

Katz likes squares?

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738099 is a reply to message #738098 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:45

Holland was 5x5

Tippett at 3x3

Katz likes squares?

I thought.. lines? Mean joke.. terrible joke.. not a joke just being mean. Sorry.. sorry.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738100 is a reply to message #738099 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

One comment I really liked from Tippet was when he was asked about being a defensive coach, he said he was hired in Dallas as an offensive guy but he coaches to win. Meaning he adapted his coaching to the personnel he had. I have seen people especially on twitter who are against Tippet saying they don't like how he coaches. Well he coached Arizona for a long time. They as an organization where a bare bones team made up of cheap, 3rd and 4th liners and young players. So if that is all your organization gives you, how do you as a coach implement an up tempo, attacking style when you don't have the players to be able to execute it. It doesn't make any sense to me why a coach would try to force his team to play a certain way when he doesn't have the horses to do it.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738101 is a reply to message #738100 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Tippet probably gained a few points with some of the fans when he said he has been using analytics since 1995.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738126 is a reply to message #738101 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 19:13

Tippet probably gained a few points with some of the fans when he said he has been using analytics since 1995.

The Red wings have been using analytics since the 1980's. They just called it something else. It wasn't until guys left their organization that "analytics" became a thing.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738142 is a reply to message #738100 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 13:04

One comment I really liked from Tippet was when he was asked about being a defensive coach, he said he was hired in Dallas as an offensive guy but he coaches to win. Meaning he adapted his coaching to the personnel he had. I have seen people especially on twitter who are against Tippet saying they don't like how he coaches. Well he coached Arizona for a long time. They as an organization where a bare bones team made up of cheap, 3rd and 4th liners and young players. So if that is all your organization gives you, how do you as a coach implement an up tempo, attacking style when you don't have the players to be able to execute it. It doesn't make any sense to me why a coach would try to force his team to play a certain way when he doesn't have the horses to do it.

Gotta keep in mind that Tippett ran the Kings PP which was instrumental in beating the Wings in 01 while taking the Avs to 7 games next round and the year after as well.

Coming from a guy who's resided in Dallas for quite some time, he really opened the offense up for the Stars till just after the lockout when they had to let guys like Guerin, etc go due to the new CBA.

Until the Brad Richards trade & Mike Ribeiro move before that, many of my friends joked that the Stars were full of "slow average two way forwards." He was ultimately let go when the front office changed due to Stars ownership running out of money at that time not to mention that Sean Avery signing by Brett Hull forcing him into his own resigning....

I like what he was able to do with chicken scratch during Phoenix so let's see how he manages the roster come next season. All eyes are definitely on Ken Holland to see if he can get more wingers, a true 3rd line center, and another right shot dman who can preferably move the puck.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738110 is a reply to message #738099 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:53

nullterm wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 11:45

Holland was 5x5

Tippett at 3x3

Katz likes squares?

I thought.. lines? Mean joke.. terrible joke.. not a joke just being mean. Sorry.. sorry.

I wonder if the Oilers can find a way to trade for Kuznetsov and really try to relive the 80's.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738106 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Watching that press conference it's almost like they shouldn't even hold one.

The questions and answers are the same from the past 12 years every time we see a coach or managerial change. Cookie cutter responses.

I can't get excited about this at all. The Oilers have Connor McDavid and I'm really not excited about this upcoming season. That's insanity. Maybe when September rolls around. Maybe it's the nice weather today that has me not caring.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738111 is a reply to message #738106 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

I think it's a good thing to have a conference that is not newsworthy. I don't want a sales job or excuses, just go out there and get results.

Clean house or bust

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Ty Rattie
Next Topic:Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca