This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Nicholson Presser 10am TodayPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735295 is a reply to message #735294 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 12:53

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 12:22

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 11:27

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 10:40

It is definitely stupid that Gretzky was there. All he really did at the conference was try to sell himself and treat this like an audition, even teasing his has a great plan. That's pretty dumb if Bob is making an honest effort to find the best possible guy.

Why was it stupid for Gretzky to be there? If he is not, who's going to answer any player related questions? The media guys asked specific player related questions. They asked about the trades, they asked about the draft, they asked about what the current team is missing. ALL player personnel stuff. Someone involved in the hockey side needed to be there and right now, with no GM, he's the guy.

If you are a great GM candidate and you're looking for a nice place to land, do you choose the place where there's two other guys who used to hold the role in the organization (with a nebulous structure that makes it unclear if you're slotted above or below them) plus another former GM in a similar nebulous position AND the interim GM, who's announced he wants the position you're applying for, and who'll almost certainly still be expected to play SOME role if you are hired. Oh, and he's the brother of the Vice-Chair, who the owner loves.

The optics on bringing him out here aren't good. And they should have had a better plan for what he'd say if he was asked about the job search - "I can't really comment on that" would have been a hell of a lot better than "I want the job."

I am a reasonable person and can have his mind changed when given a good argument. So I am willing to listen.

The team currently has no GM in place, they have Gretzky who was the assistant GM, currently handling the duties at this time. They don't have a POHO either so Nicholson is in that role. They are having a year end presser which is required. The media is going to ask questions about players and pro hockey stuff. Nicholson will know some things but he won't be able to properly answer them all. As a fan of the team, I personally want to hear some good answers on some of the player stuff. I assume most people did as well. I sure as hell don't want to hear anyone fluffing past a question or saying "Well I don't really know, I will let the new GM answer that when he gets here." The new GM could be a guy that wasn't here. So how can he give an answer on anything that happened when he wasn't hear? So since you are not a fan and think having Gretzky out there was a mistake, who else is going to answer ANY hockey questions of what happened? They need someone. So who?

I’ll tell you who. Tobias Rieder. It’s the least he can do after making us miss the playoffs and hurting Connor’s knee

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735296 is a reply to message #735294 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

It is definitely stupid that Gretzky was there. All he really did at the conference was try to sell himself and treat this like an audition, even teasing his has a great plan. That's pretty dumb if Bob is making an honest effort to find the best possible guy.

Why was it stupid for Gretzky to be there? If he is not, who's going to answer any player related questions? The media guys asked specific player related questions. They asked about the trades, they asked about the draft, they asked about what the current team is missing. ALL player personnel stuff. Someone involved in the hockey side needed to be there and right now, with no GM, he's the guy.

If you are a great GM candidate and you're looking for a nice place to land, do you choose the place where there's two other guys who used to hold the role in the organization (with a nebulous structure that makes it unclear if you're slotted above or below them) plus another former GM in a similar nebulous position AND the interim GM, who's announced he wants the position you're applying for, and who'll almost certainly still be expected to play SOME role if you are hired. Oh, and he's the brother of the Vice-Chair, who the owner loves.

The optics on bringing him out here aren't good. And they should have had a better plan for what he'd say if he was asked about the job search - "I can't really comment on that" would have been a hell of a lot better than "I want the job."

I am a reasonable person and can have his mind changed when given a good argument. So I am willing to listen.

The team currently has no GM in place, they have Gretzky who was the assistant GM, currently handling the duties at this time. They don't have a POHO either so Nicholson is in that role. They are having a year end presser which is required. The media is going to ask questions about players and pro hockey stuff. Nicholson will know some things but he won't be able to properly answer them all. As a fan of the team, I personally want to hear some good answers on some of the player stuff. I assume most people did as well. I sure as hell don't want to hear anyone fluffing past a question or saying "Well I don't really know, I will let the new GM answer that when he gets here." The new GM could be a guy that wasn't here. So how can he give an answer on anything that happened when he wasn't hear? So since you are not a fan and think having Gretzky out there was a mistake, who else is going to answer ANY hockey questions of what happened? They need someone. So who?

Did I miss some really insightful comment that Gretzky made that Nicholson couldn't have handled? I don't think there was anything there.

As I implied above, if I'm running the team, I'm more concerned with the search for the best possible management candidates and how this impacts them rather than whether the fans got the best possible answer about how the players thinking losing sucks. The media didn't even really ask many questions about the players, other than referencing McDavid's frustration and asking about his role in the impending changes (or non-changes) in the organization.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735297 is a reply to message #735296 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 12:57

Did I miss some really insightful comment that Gretzky made that Nicholson couldn't have handled? I don't think there was anything there.

As I implied above, if I'm running the team, I'm more concerned with the search for the best possible management candidates and how this impacts them rather than whether the fans got the best possible answer about how the players thinking losing sucks. The media didn't even really ask many questions about the players, other than referencing McDavid's frustration and asking about his role in the impending changes (or non-changes) in the organization.

You obviously missed that Keith wants the GM job and that he has a plan that he can't reveal to us until he's the permanent GM. Bob couldn't have handled giving us that info nearly as good as Keith could in person.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735298 is a reply to message #735297 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 13:00

You obviously missed that Keith wants the GM job and that he has a plan that he can't reveal to us until he's the permanent GM. Bob couldn't have handled giving us that info nearly as good as Keith could in person.

I did find it baffling that Nicholson said McDavid and other players should be involved in the decision-making process. In what way!? Do they get a vote? Such a weird comment to make.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735299 is a reply to message #735298 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 13:21

I did find it baffling that Nicholson said McDavid and other players should be involved in the decision-making process. In what way!? Do they get a vote? Such a weird comment to make.

Lol no. The Oilers are communism. Even if you get to vote in Soviet Oilerstan, the votes don't matter.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735301 is a reply to message #735298 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bob was just babbling I think. THere seems to be a theme they want to push that the greatest failure of rebuild 3.0 was a lack of communication by Chia. Chia didn't use the brilliant minds around him, didn't use MacT, didn't use Lowe, didn't use Keith. That's why it didn't work out, Chia just did everything solo.

Now we need to overcompensate with this team of super open communication where everyone from Katz all the way down to the dogs of the trainers will have a say in how things are done in the OEG. In everything from the choices of toilet paper in the bathrooms to making high profile hockey trades all opinions will be heard and are valid! We are changing our ways, no more mistakes like what happened with closed off poor communicating Chia will be allowed to happen again!!

[Updated on: Mon, 08 April 2019 13:27]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735302 is a reply to message #735301 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

So basically, this entire presser was a whole lot of absolutely nothing. No one who needs to be fired was, and they may end up hiring the bro of a key member of the OBC as GM.

Sooo, we'll be doing this again next year, I'm thinking?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735306 is a reply to message #735302 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 13:29

So basically, this entire presser was a whole lot of absolutely nothing. No one who needs to be fired was, and they may end up hiring the bro of a key member of the OBC as GM.

Sooo, we'll be doing this again next year, I'm thinking?

Other than there being a different coach and GM, was there anything said by Bob this year that was wildly different than last year? "Trust us. We've got a plan! Kinda. Well, Keith SAYS he has a plan, and I'm just so excited to find out what it is...he says he won't tell us unless we hire him though, and the suspense is killing me."

Last year it was the Chia-Plan...it was a really good plan. We couldn't abandon that plan. It was going to make the team very successful in the near future. How couldn't it? Other GMs really loved that guy!

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735303 is a reply to message #735298 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

You get a say if you are part of the CORE! None of those other losers will be involved don't worry.

Think of it like a tier system for players. In the same way that there are different tiers of fans so to is it with players.

This is the Oilers culture. Not a recipe for dysfunction at all.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735308 is a reply to message #735297 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Good or Keith that he wants a GM job. Shouldn't anyone working in any job be striving to advance himself? Doesn't mean he gets the job or is the right guy for it.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735310 is a reply to message #735308 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 13:45

Good or Keith that he wants a GM job. Shouldn't anyone working in any job be striving to advance himself? Doesn't mean he gets the job or is the right guy for it.

The point is that Bob didn't need to put him in the position where he doesn't have a guy auditioning for the GM job sitting next time him while Bob talks about all the work he's involved in trying to find the next GM.

Of course he wants the job. This just wasn't the time for him to be auditioning for it in front of Oilers fans all PO'd about another failed season and how their team looks aimless, and how it looks like the OBC are gonna just do the usual and hire the closest guy to try to solve over a decade of failure.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735317 is a reply to message #735310 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

There is only one direction the Oilers should go, but won't. There have been a handful or so people that have been here through the whole dark times. Those are Lowe, MacT, Howson, D.Sutter, and at least one or two others I'm not remembering. Though I understand that Lowe apparently does not deal with the hockey side, we know better and I've heard talk of him being involved in operations from stories around town. Those three must be gone for things to move forward.

Even if its not their fault, its the optics. When we continuously see failure after failure with little to no change at the top, there has to be wholesale moves. That means if you've been associated to the team for the last ten years, you're out the door, whether its your fault or not, there's a desperate need for new blood AT THE TOP. Until the organization realizes this, and Nicholson should have come out this morning and stated that these guys are gone, there will be no long term success (not just one season) for the franchise.

Just making those changes will at the least appease the fanbase and possibly some of the players. Yet for some strange reason, I have a feeling they all get raises, bring in Coffey as the GM, restore Lowe to POHO, and hire Eakins a second time on MacT's recommendation that the swarm will work this time around.

Jeez this sucks.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735321 is a reply to message #735317 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 14:13

There is only one direction the Oilers should go, but won't. There have been a handful or so people that have been here through the whole dark times. Those are Lowe, MacT, Howson, D.Sutter, and at least one or two others I'm not remembering. Though I understand that Lowe apparently does not deal with the hockey side, we know better and I've heard talk of him being involved in operations from stories around town. Those three must be gone for things to move forward.

Even if its not their fault, its the optics. When we continuously see failure after failure with little to no change at the top, there has to be wholesale moves. That means if you've been associated to the team for the last ten years, you're out the door, whether its your fault or not, there's a desperate need for new blood AT THE TOP. Until the organization realizes this, and Nicholson should have come out this morning and stated that these guys are gone, there will be no long term success (not just one season) for the franchise.

Just making those changes will at the least appease the fanbase and possibly some of the players. Yet for some strange reason, I have a feeling they all get raises, bring in Coffey as the GM, restore Lowe to POHO, and hire Eakins a second time on MacT's recommendation that the swarm will work this time around.

Jeez this sucks.

I think you're forgetting just how important Kevin Lowe is to the Edmonton Oilers. He is very, very important.

It's doubtful they'd ever be able to find anyone with the business and hockey acumen of the Great Kevin Lowe...

Also - we have Gretzky! Don't you remember how great the 1980s were?

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735322 is a reply to message #735321 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 14:21

bigred75 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 14:13

Jeez this sucks.

I think you're forgetting just how important Kevin Lowe is to the Edmonton Oilers. He is very, very important.

It's doubtful they'd ever be able to find anyone with the business and hockey acumen of the Great Kevin Lowe...

Also - we have Gretzky! Don't you remember how great the 1980s were?

I honestly don't remember anymore. I can barely remember 2006.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735332 is a reply to message #735317 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

bigred75 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 17:13

Jeez this sucks.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too.
Unfortunately, hearing Bobby Burgers speak about the state of the franchise doesn't exactly fill me with hope that it's going to happen.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735318 is a reply to message #735310 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 13:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 13:45

The point is that Bob didn't need to put him in the position where he doesn't have a guy auditioning for the GM job sitting next time him while Bob talks about all the work he's involved in trying to find the next GM.

Of course he wants the job. This just wasn't the time for him to be auditioning for it in front of Oilers fans all PO'd about another failed season and how their team looks aimless, and how it looks like the OBC are gonna just do the usual and hire the closest guy to try to solve over a decade of failure.

We will disagree on this then. When asked a hockey question, as a pissed off fan the last thing I want to hear is one or all of:
- Nicholson say he doesn't know the answer because I do not think he was a hands on guy. He's a hand shaker and a delegator He let Chia and who ever else was in charge of pro hockey - Sutter, Mac T and Howson being the main ones, make the calls.
- Nicholson try to answer the question when he doesn't know the answer and put his foot in his mouth more.
- Have him ignore or deflect the question.
- Pawn off the question with something like "the new GM will answer that." How will the new GM answer that if he potentially wasn't here.

I also do not want one of Sutter, Mac T or Howson up there. I think they all should be fired by now and I hope it happens.

I want answers. I want to know WHY. I want to know what is missing and what needs to be addressed. Did Gretzky give me a ton of insight on what the team will be doing? No, he's not the GM so I didn't expect him too. But when asked about the trades he said the trades were made because they had injuries, the team felt they needed to add to the defense on the fly and they over paid with the trades. I knew that, everyone knew that but it was nice to actually hear the team admit that rather than listen to Nicholson gloss over it or tell me is was Chia's decision. When asked about what the team needs, Gretzky said the team needs more speed, more skill and more puck moving. Exactly right!! It was nice to hear that someone on this team actually admit here is what they lack which we all KNOW is what they need rather than rattle on about culture.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735292 is a reply to message #735270 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm sure Bobby can speak to his current expectations of Keith for how to play out the next could months as the GM search continues. Keith really said nothing useful. There is no much to be said by him about the players or any important moves because he is not the permanent GM. His job is just to do the obvious and prepare for the draft. Bob was sufficient to provide that info.

For Keith to sit there and talk like he's Bob's peer and how he wants the job, and teasing that he has a plan. Not the kind of crap people need to see right now. At least no anyone hoping this org is actually putting an honest effort in to find the new GM candidate available out in the hockey world.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 April 2019 12:51]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735276 is a reply to message #735221 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

So Keith has a plan of what he'd do... but obviously wouldn't/couldn't let it be known. No duh.

Bob announces they plan on having open communication in all facets of the organization... then states he can't communicate his list of interviewees, no duh as most of them are committed to their teams who are in the playoffs.

Waste. Of. Time. If this was a government thing, it would have been a total waste of taxpayers money.

The fact it was all Q & A is garbage too.

I'm taking my ball and going home. I need a Red Wine Summit.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735291 is a reply to message #735276 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Holy smokescreen. I think I'm officially done with OilersNation. I'm pretty sure this article was dictated by the Oilers' head office. Complete fan manipulation.

NO ONE CARES WHO THE GM IS. STOP TRYING TO PRETEND THAT IT MATTERS!

At least Bob S. is not pretending to be an indie news site.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/04/08/bob-nicholson-and-keith- gretzky-speak-following-disappointing-season/

[Updated on: Mon, 08 April 2019 12:44]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735312 is a reply to message #735291 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

not sure why people are getting so pissy with the lack of any real news from the presser--it was predictable

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735313 is a reply to message #735312 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 14:05

not sure why people are getting so pissy with the lack of any real news from the presser--it was predictable

No one is upset with the lack of news, that isn't the complaint.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735328 is a reply to message #735313 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 14:10

disagree. in reading comments here and elsewhere. People wanted heads to roll today

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735329 is a reply to message #735328 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 15:24

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 14:10

disagree. in reading comments here and elsewhere. People wanted heads to roll today

Who actually believed that would happen!?

I don't think I've seen anyone who actually believes the Oilers are about to make big changes to their team. They don't have the guts to do it.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735337 is a reply to message #735329 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I sure would like to know who's on the interview list. We know Gillis is and Gretzky but Nicholson said he was surprised at how little resistance he has gotten from teams to get permission. So maybe some good candidates that he thought was a shot in the dark were made available.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735340 is a reply to message #735337 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 16:08

I sure would like to know who's on the interview list. We know Gillis is and Gretzky but Nicholson said he was surprised at how little resistance he has gotten from teams to get permission. So maybe some good candidates that he thought was a shot in the dark were made available.

I sure hope that the Oilers keep their damn mouths shut about who's on the interview list. There's absolutely no benefit to telling everyone who you're interviewing, and it only sets up situations where there's people who are identified losers in the race.

Is it interesting to know? Of course. But it's not a need-to-know item for fans. This team needs to better understand what to share and what not to share.

Also, anyone who leaks anything should be fired. *COUGH COUGH KEVIN LOWE COUGH*

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735341 is a reply to message #735340 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 16:47

I sure hope that the Oilers keep their damn mouths shut about who's on the interview list. There's absolutely no benefit to telling everyone who you're interviewing, and it only sets up situations where there's people who are identified losers in the race.

Is it interesting to know? Of course. But it's not a need-to-know item for fans. This team needs to better understand what to share and what not to share.

And yet they throw a 30 minute Q&A, and get absolutely roasted on the forums and social media, both for what they say, and more notably for what they don’t say. People are really dumb. I mean the Oilers brass are dumb too, of course. I’m not defending them the least bit. But separate from all that, it’s funny reading all the mockery and fake outrage from people... people are just piling on. I really don’t know what fans are expecting them to say, or perhaps what they think they should say.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735342 is a reply to message #735341 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 17:02

And yet they throw a 30 minute Q&A, and get absolutely roasted on the forums and social media, both for what they say, and more notably for what they don’t say. People are really dumb. I mean the Oilers brass are dumb too, of course. I’m not defending them the least bit. But separate from all that, it’s funny reading all the mockery and fake outrage from people... people are just piling on. I really don’t know what fans are expecting them to say, or perhaps what they think they should say.

I can't speak for everyone, but I want them to keep their mouths shut, quit giving meaningless lip service, and start taking meaningful action.

Show me, Oilers. I'll only believe what I see.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735343 is a reply to message #735342 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 17:07

I can't speak for everyone, but I want them to keep their mouths shut, quit giving meaningless lip service, and start taking meaningful action.

Not me. I can’t wait to hear them justify the new KG... oops I mean GM

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735344 is a reply to message #735342 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

My only real complaint is that I feel like all it was was a Keith Gretzky audition, and another chance for Bob and the OBC to be so impressed by how well Keith handles himself. That's really all this presser seemed to be.

Bob as well always falls back on cliches, and starts tossing around word salad to sound like he's clueless about stuff. The more I hear him talk, the less confident I am that he will do the right thing on the GM hire.

That's basically it for this conference. Keith being there to talk about how he wants to be GM right next to Bob talking about the process of hiring the GM was lame, and Bob added to the clueless factor I have in my head for him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735351 is a reply to message #735344 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 17:31

My only real complaint is that I feel like all it was was a Keith Gretzky audition, and another chance for Bob and the OBC to be so impressed by how well Keith handles himself. That's really all this presser seemed to be.

Bob as well always falls back on cliches, and starts tossing around word salad to sound like he's clueless about stuff. The more I hear him talk, the less confident I am that he will do the right thing on the GM hire.

That's basically it for this conference. Keith being there to talk about how he wants to be GM right next to Bob talking about the process of hiring the GM was lame, and Bob added to the clueless factor I have in my head for him.

Oilers management are so transparent, this is obviously just a show and dance to the fans to say they went through an exhaustive process. But in the end name Keith Gretzky.

If Chia was acting all alone, then as a knee jerk reaction the wise guys are going to bring in someone they already know and trust and are confident that they can influence. At this point they are afraid of getting burnt again, so they are going to pick a comfortable (for them) option.

The reality is Nicholson, Lowe, MacT, Howson ain't going anywhere. Bad news: they will be with the Oilers until they decide to retire. And they are going to find the candidate that those people are most comfortable with.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735354 is a reply to message #735351 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Gretzky might be the guy. He may make a great GM.

Today was embarrassing and awkward. Bobby Nics is a bumbling idiot. I thought my video froze, but then I noticed him blinking with his slack jaw face that was catching flies. He instilled zero confidence for us moving forward and sabotaged KG’s chance to have won the GM job based on merit and quality interview against his peers. This appears to be predetermined.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735360 is a reply to message #735354 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I completely understand the issue with hiring Gretzky. Even though other than his last name, he has zero ties to the Oilers. Never worked or played for them. He would have been in the shadow of his brother who is the greatest hockey player of all time. I am sure he has been judged all his life by others because of his brother. He has built his own resume based on his own merit. But with all the former players they have here, I get why many in Edmonton don't want him hired. If he had a different name, I firmly believe most wouldn't care as much he is being considered. If he gets passed over, I think he will move on to another team which is too bad because the Oilers don't have a lot of good hockey guys and they need to bring in more, not lose one of the few they have.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735361 is a reply to message #735360 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I'd like some explanation from you or the media who keep shoving this down our throat why a mixed drafting record warrants consideration for an NHL GM position.

Also, he is not a self made man. He got his NHL start in Arizona, shortly after his brother became an owner.

Would he be considered for literally any other GM position?

Clean house or bust

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735362 is a reply to message #735361 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 09:01

I'd like some explanation from you or the media who keep shoving this down our throat why a mixed drafting record warrants consideration for an NHL GM position.

Also, he is not a self made man. He got his NHL start in Arizona, shortly after his brother became an owner.

I am not listening to what the Oilers say, I am 100% going by what I have heard over and over and over again for months from outside media guys and other guys in hockey who all say he is a good hockey man, has a good resume and 100% should be considered for the job. I am not advocating for him to get the job. I even said I get why there is the negativity around him. I do not know if he is ready for the job yet as there are lots of assistant GM's who get interviewed every year for other jobs and don't get hired. All I am saying is if he was Keith Adams, he'd be considered just another candidate. If he doesn't get the job and he moves on, another team will hire him for a high level position.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735363 is a reply to message #735362 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 09:08

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 09:01

I am not listening to what the Oilers say, I am 100% going by what I have heard over and over and over again for months from outside media guys and other guys in hockey who all say he is a good hockey man, has a good resume and 100% should be considered for the job.

Please show a source of outside media guys saying this.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735365 is a reply to message #735362 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 09:08

All I am saying is if he was Keith Adams, he'd be considered just another candidate. If he doesn't get the job and he moves on, another team will hire him for a high level position.

I'd be 100% okay with that, especially if he is in the ear of that GM telling him to trade their version of Seguin or Hall. In fact, I'd be on the phone trying to take advantage of it.

Gretzky hasn't done any moves as interim that I wouldn't have done, save for a weird Talbot trade and sleeping in on trade deadline day. He hasn't been all that impressive, and is probably getting too much credit for the Oilers depth as many of those guys were in the system.

If he doesn't get this job because of his last name, it probably is counter to a lot of jobs he has gotten in the past because of his last name. If he was Keith Adams, I doubt people would have noticed or given him the chances he has had.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735395 is a reply to message #735362 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Grezky probably is a decent hockey man and judge of player talent but under the circumstances, ie the fans wanting the heads of the OBC for years of frustration and failure, and him being closely allied to the OBC through Wayne, I very much doubt that he will be put in the GM chair. This is also about appeasing fans and selling tickets. The bottom line is always money in pro sports, and things are slipping a bit in that regard. I'd be OK with him staying on as the assistant or something else in the org if that's what the new GM chooses to do. He's in a tough spot and it's not his fault.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735404 is a reply to message #735395 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 12:57

Grezky probably is a decent hockey man and judge of player talent but under the circumstances, ie the fans wanting the heads of the OBC for years of frustration and failure, and him being closely allied to the OBC through Wayne, I very much doubt that he will be put in the GM chair. This is also about appeasing fans and selling tickets. The bottom line is always money in pro sports, and things are slipping a bit in that regard. I'd be OK with him staying on as the assistant or something else in the org if that's what the new GM chooses to do. He's in a tough spot and it's not his fault.

Ales Cooper and I were chatting recently about KGGM and his statement was: "Which other NHL teams do the Oilers have to fight off in order to sign Keith Gretzky?"

Is there a bidding war for him? Is he in talks with other teams to be an NHL GM? Is he in high demand? Is there an opening for a GM in the NHL today where he is the #1 recommended candidate?

If the answer is yes to these questions, then we should sign him. If no, don't sign him and if he is not hired on as a GM anywhere else by draft day, then he is obviously not an NHL GM and bullet dodged.
But that is a gamble, because if he goes on to much success...well....Oilers....

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735406 is a reply to message #735404 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 15:18

overdue wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 12:57

Ales Cooper and I were chatting recently about KGGM and his statement was: "Which other NHL teams do the Oilers have to fight off in order to sign Keith Gretzky?"

Is there a bidding war for him? Is he in talks with other teams to be an NHL GM? Is he in high demand? Is there an opening for a GM in the NHL today where he is the #1 recommended candidate?

If the answer is yes to these questions, then we should sign him. If no, don't sign him and if he is not hired on as a GM anywhere else by draft day, then he is obviously not an NHL GM and bullet dodged.
But that is a gamble, because if he goes on to much success...well....Oilers....

Or he could be re-signed as an assistant GM for not a lot of money and a better GM could be hired above him. Great point. The Oilers do tend to negotiate against themselves, a lot.

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735421 is a reply to message #735406 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 15:25

Or he could be re-signed as an assistant GM for not a lot of money

Bingo!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Nicholson Presser 10am Today [message #735364 is a reply to message #735360 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 08:54

I completely understand the issue with hiring Gretzky. Even though other than his last name, he has zero ties to the Oilers. Never worked or played for them. He would have been in the shadow of his brother who is the greatest hockey player of all time. I am sure he has been judged all his life by others because of his brother. He has built his own resume based on his own merit. But with all the former players they have here, I get why many in Edmonton don't want him hired. If he had a different name, I firmly believe most wouldn't care as much he is being considered. If he gets passed over, I think he will move on to another team which is too bad because the Oilers don't have a lot of good hockey guys and they need to bring in more, not lose one of the few they have.

You are just like the Oilers in your thinking, you guys are years behind your time in your thinking. Why would you want to keep trying experiments with things, how many people are lining up to give Eakins a head coaching job when we did, how many are lining up for Gretzky for GM? The Lucic signing you said it's a great signing but a couple years too long and he will put in 20 goals 50 points (he hit 50 once here in 3 years.....) would protect Mcdavid, make space for him, our PP would be better with him.... still no... That trading Eberle is replaced by wingers in our organization that have little to no experience.... keep trying buddy.

This organization has messed it up for decades, they needed to be interviewing people and getting peoples thoughts (what they will do with this team) and they are just starting to do that (well hopefully, lip service is one thing). Like I said how said any many others have said who is lining up for Gretzky? I really hope the Oilers don't just get sold on someone saying they have a plan but never actually talk about what is in this plan to get things changed around here.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 April 2019 09:14]

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #82)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #82)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca