This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734788 is a reply to message #734787 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 21:28

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 11:01

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 10:55

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 10:51

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 10:37

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:27

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:12

Is it true that Hitchcock took Draisaitl off McDavid's wing?!? Really? Three games left, with Leon sitting on 47 goals, and they pull him off and put him with plugs?

No thanks to Hitch coming back as coach. No more dinosaurs behind the bench, please.

I'm pretty convinced that hitch is punishing Koskinen right now, setting him up for failure. No surprise he would punish drai and McDavid for looking a bit off too after the elimination. It's nice that he doesn't bash players much to the media but he is definitely an old school grump away from the microphones.

To me, it screams management trying to justify a horrible signing. They love to double down on bad decisions and try and prove how smart they were or how there is reason for optimism and how they have better reasoning than anyone else.

If Koskinen has a good final stretch, they get to point to that contract and sell optimism. But if he is scratched then it looks bad. Also looks bad when Koskinen gets lit up every night, but that's probably just not very good.

If there ever was proof of the OBC being involved in the Koskinen extension, them playing him like madness at the end of a meaningful season rather than giving Stolarz a bit of a test is definitely proof positive. They try so hard to will bad decisions into good ones.

The problem is that it doesn't even help make the decision look good. Playing an exhausted goalie (I think it's something like 29 of the last 30 games he's started now?) is only likely to give him worse results - which makes it look like a worse decision to start him. It was somewhat defend-able while the Oilers were still in a playoff hunt, even if it was a long shot, as you could say he gives you the best chance to win (although again, that makes trading Talbot look stupid if there's no faith at all in Stolarz even against the worst teams in the league), but with the Oilers eliminated, riding him hard to the finish line is just pointless.

When did everyone decide Stolarz was so bad he should never get a sniff of game time? He was a perfectly acceptable replacement level back up in his one start against a far superior team.

Five appearances with the Oilers, four in relief. 4.00 goals against average and .898 save percentage aren't great.

His numbers with Philly this season aren't a lot better. 3.58 and .901 although in his defence, he's played behind two mediocre teams, and those relief appearances, he's coming in cold behind a demoralized Edmonton team already getting blown out.

Hitchcock certainly doesn't seem to have any faith in him, which isn't a good sign, but you're right. It's pretty hard to know for sure when he doesn't get a sniff.

And the Maple Leafs game saw him save 37 of 40 shots...so maybe he would show something if he actually was given a chance.

Maybe the Oilers just figure since he's never been in the long-term plans, why bother giving him anything...but still, if that just destroys Koskinen's numbers even more (and feeds all those bashing him in the media and on twitter), then maybe they're just shooting themselves in the foot...again.

100% fits the Oilers asset management model. If you were giving Talbot away for nothing, why not keep him?

Didn't we need the cap space to activate Sek? Think that was mainly what that trade was about.

If we didn't get Manning and Petrovic, maybe it's not needed. But...Oilers.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734790 is a reply to message #734788 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 21:35

100% fits the Oilers asset management model. If you were giving Talbot away for nothing, why not keep him?

Didn't we need the cap space to activate Sek? Think that was mainly what that trade was about.

There were ways of handling it with demotions that would have made it possible without trading Talbot.

I really believe that the Oilers were worried that Talbot would outplay Koskinen down the stretch and that that would reflect poorly on the team - especially since Nicholson said that they had input on the Koskinen deal.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734796 is a reply to message #734790 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 01:07

There were ways of handling it with demotions that would have made it possible without trading Talbot.

I really believe that the Oilers were worried that Talbot would outplay Koskinen down the stretch and that that would reflect poorly on the team - especially since Nicholson said that they had input on the Koskinen deal.

That sounds like the Oilers we all know.

#ChiaWasALoneWolf

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734817 is a reply to message #734790 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Did someone work it out? Shows how much I've been paying attention and caring this year I guess. Hope I wasn't too involved in the conversation here or I might need to be checked for memory loss.

Damn this team, seriously. I've probably actually watched 3 or 4 games worth of game time since the trade deadline. Probably seen more g2k "sieve" posts than live goals scored on Koskinen in the last month :)

I guess complaining about the OBC and Bobby Burgers is still fun though.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734818 is a reply to message #734817 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 11:43

Did someone work it out? Shows how much I've been paying attention and caring this year I guess. Hope I wasn't too involved in the conversation here or I might need to be checked for memory loss.

Damn this team, seriously. I've probably actually watched 3 or 4 games worth of game time since the trade deadline. Probably seen more g2k "sieve" posts than live goals scored on Koskinen in the last month :)

I guess complaining about the OBC and Bobby Burgers is still fun though.

I thought you figured it out. For real.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734737 is a reply to message #734726 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:12

Is it true that Hitchcock took Draisaitl off McDavid's wing?!? Really? Three games left, with Leon sitting on 47 goals, and they pull him off and put him with plugs?

No thanks to Hitch coming back as coach. No more dinosaurs behind the bench, please.

Yeah, I don't get that. What is the frigging point of watching McDavid doing laps in the neutral zone because his linemates can't manage a zone entry? With Leon it's even worse because although it's down, he still turns over the puck a lot trying a cute pass when he has possession, to plugs as linemates.

I firmly believe that LD isn't LD unless he's playing with McDavid at least 90% of the time...and that's ok. Who says Leon has to center a second line when he's more suited to be an elite winger, who can make the 1C more effective?

Nuge is as effective at 2C, and McDavid and (certainly) LD are better when they're together.

Why they continue to beat the LD/2C horse is beyond me, and there's a reason why they inevitably end up there....when have they ever gone start to finish with Leon at 2C?

Geez, let them play together and finish strong.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734751 is a reply to message #734701 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

So since the Hart is designed for players on mediocre teams who sneak their team into the playoffs only to get crushed once reaching them... is Nathan MacKinnon this year's Hart winner?

Kucherov and Marchand play on good teams and Kane, McDavid, and Draisaitl play on teams that miss the playoffs, and as we know from experience, both are disqualifying for Hart voters.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca