This day on July 20
None

Happy Birthday To: wags

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role...
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734586]
Mon, 01 April 2019 11:30 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://oilersnation.com/2019/04/01/breaking-oilers-name-kev in-lowe-as-president-of-hockey-operations/

https://media.giphy.com/media/JFuT0rHL3QlQA/giphy.gif

Quote:

After many months of speculation, Bob Nicholson has finally hired a President of Hockey Operations for the Edmonton Oilers, and that person is Kevin Lowe.

Since relieving Peter Chiarelli of his duties at the end of January, the Oilers have gone without a legitimate POHO and General Manager. Keith Gretzky stepped up to be an interim General Manager and has done an admirable job. From Mike Gillis, to Bill Zeto, many names have popped up in the rumour mill about who the next POHO for the Oilers should be. Instead, Bob Nicholson has hired former Edmonton Oiler, Kevin Lowe.

Kevin Lowe was not my first choice to be President of Hockey Operations, but I’m cautiously optimistic of what Lowe has to offer. Here’s what Nicholson had to say about Lowe earlier this morning.

“Kevin knows a thing or two about winning. He’s had success when building a lot of Team Canada’s Olympic teams and has a lot left to give in his career.” – Bob Nicholson April fools!

[Updated on: Mon, 01 April 2019 11:33]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734587 is a reply to message #734586 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I hate April 1st.

Although Westjet's Flyre Festival video (and sale) is pretty fun.

This is fine.

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734588 is a reply to message #734587 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

Is there a dumber day than April fools?

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734593 is a reply to message #734588 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 11:48

Is there a dumber day than April fools?

Team is a joke. May as well have a chuckle about it :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734590 is a reply to message #734587 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 11:31

I hate April 1st.

I also heard something on the radio this morning about overtime being abolished for AB workers, union or non-union. I didn't hear what party it was attributed to, but assumed it was an April Fools thing.

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734594 is a reply to message #734590 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 12:02

I hate April 1st.

I also heard something on the radio this morning about overtime being abolished for AB workers, union or non-union. I didn't hear what party it was attributed to, but assumed it was an April Fools thing.

I read in the UCP platform that they plan on changing it so that any overtime that an employees banked be paid at regular time like it used to be rather than 1.5 times like the NDP recently changed it too.

My company took a bit of a hit financially when the NDP changed playing banked time to 1.5 times. We have field staff who we pay out a small portion of their overtime over the year but we encourage them to bank their overtime so when winter happens and there isn't a lot of field work, they get a regular paycheck rather than be potentially laid off. Guys will take time off in the winter using banked time rather than use up their holidays.

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734595 is a reply to message #734590 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 12:02

I hate April 1st.

Definitely not an April fools thing. But hey, we'll save like $20 bucks a month in carbon tax! Sorry, I'll take it to the OT forum.

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734605 is a reply to message #734587 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

I hate April 1st.

and how many people fell for it?

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734589 is a reply to message #734586 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

How sad is it that the worst thing that OilersNations could think of to troll their readers was that the Oilers had named a guy that already works for the team as the POHO? This is some franchise, man.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19 pace: 234 GF / 274 GA (-40)

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734592 is a reply to message #734589 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 11:53

How sad is it that the worst thing that OilersNations could think of to troll their readers was that the Oilers had named a guy that already works for the team as the POHO? This is some franchise, man.

lol, a guy already in the org that is, according to Friedman, involved in who is allowed to even interview for the POHO job, disqualifying people because of 12 year old grudges.

Definitely something special going on with this franchise still.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734607 is a reply to message #734592 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 12:03

lol, a guy already in the org that is, according to Friedman, involved in who is allowed to even interview for the POHO job, disqualifying people because of 12 year old grudges.

I didn't see that comment about Lowe by Friedman, anyone have a link?

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734609 is a reply to message #734607 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 15:24

Was talked about in the GM hiring thread. here is the post with the interview Friedman did:

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=tree&th=46934&m id=734254&rid=77&SQ=359d8aabf52ebb18be7724daf5c5c5d1 &rev=&reveal=

He didn't actually name names of who wanted to stop Gillis from an interview, but since the reason was a grudge from 2007 (before Katz owned the team), and Gillis was not only MacT's agent when he played, and then hired him for their AHL team later, I think that reduces the grudge holder list to Kevin Lowe :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734614 is a reply to message #734609 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 15:27

Was talked about in the GM hiring thread. here is the post with the interview Friedman did:

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=tree&th=46934&m id=734254&rid=77&SQ=359d8aabf52ebb18be7724daf5c5c5d1 &rev=&reveal=

He didn't actually name names of who wanted to stop Gillis from an interview, but since the reason was a grudge from 2007 (before Katz owned the team), and Gillis was not only MacT's agent when he played, and then hired him for their AHL team later, I think that reduces the grudge holder list to Kevin Lowe :)

add me to the list of people who do not want gillis. He did not build to the canucks. Nonis and Burke did but Gillis tried to take all the credit

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734617 is a reply to message #734614 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 16:08

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 15:27

add me to the list of people who do not want gillis. He did not build to the canucks. Nonis and Burke did but Gillis tried to take all the credit

Not worth even picking his brain though because Lowe is mad about 2007?

He has been working hard on the analytics and sports science fields, looking at other sports around the world. He was actually a pioneer of sports science (using analytics and tracking for conditioning and recovery) in Vancouver before many other teams started doing it (most do now, Oilers probably barely at all because we think it's cool to be old school). I think it's worth a conversation, especially since Nicholson is learning on the job right now and our org is waaaay behind on the curve on basically everything to do with managing a team aside from using gut feel.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 April 2019 16:52]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734618 is a reply to message #734617 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 16:49

Not worth even picking his brain though because Lowe is mad about 2007?

He has been working hard on the analytics and sports science fields, looking at other sports around the world. He was actually a pioneer of sports science (using analytics and tracking for conditioning and recovery) in Vancouver before many other teams started doing it (most do now, Oilers probably barely at all because we think it's cool to be old school). I think it's worth a conversation, especially since Nicholson is learning on the job right now and our org is waaaay behind on the curve on basically everything to do with managing a team aside from using gut feel.

At bare minimum, it would be nice to have our Team President picking the brain of someone who wasn't a direct competitor for tips on what he should do.

Bob will be probably be wondering why this guy doesn't snicker so much as he gives his responses though...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734601 is a reply to message #734586 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oilers Nation trying to troll with bad news, but all I see is good!

I really wish this was true. This team has provided us all with the wrong kind of entertainment for years and this would be such a wonderful talking point for dozens of threads. Plus, if he actually takes a role in hockey ops, it could mean that maybe it's his last hurrah and once he fails, he'll leave the franchise altogether.

I hate you, April fools. Getting my hopes up like that!

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734604 is a reply to message #734601 ]
Mon, 01 April 2019 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 14:10

I really wish this was true. This team has provided us all with the wrong kind of entertainment for years and this would be such a wonderful talking point for dozens of threads. Plus, if he actually takes a role in hockey ops, it could mean that maybe it's his last hurrah and once he fails, he'll leave the franchise altogether.

Ha ha ha...does it give you any comfort to know he really has that position anyhow, even if he gave up the title?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734763 is a reply to message #734604 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 14:32

JPro wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 14:10

Ha ha ha...does it give you any comfort to know he really has that position anyhow, even if he gave up the title?

The problem is that you can't be fired from a position you don't officially have!

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734769 is a reply to message #734763 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

can not believe people fell for it

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734776 is a reply to message #734769 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 13:32

can not believe people fell for it

Haven't been an Oilers fan for very long, have you? If you were, you'd have known that the level of incompetence that their management team has shown makes this notion actually plausible.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734779 is a reply to message #734776 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 15:44

Haven't been an Oilers fan for very long, have you? If you were, you'd have known that the level of incompetence that their management team has shown makes this notion actually plausible.

Would it even be surprising to anyone if they did this? My default assumption is that they're going to make the worst possible decision.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19 pace: 234 GF / 274 GA (-40)

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734780 is a reply to message #734779 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 17:31

Would it even be surprising to anyone if they did this? My default assumption is that they're going to make the worst possible decision.

It would surprise me only from the perspective that I don't see Lowe stepping back in to the firing line. I think they prefer the current set-up where they get to have all kinds of input, but can fire someone else if the heat gets too great. Putting MacT or Lowe in to one of those roles just means that it's a lot harder to release the pressure on them. Right now, they feel bullet proof.

Re: Kevin Lowe returns to POHO role... [message #734781 is a reply to message #734779 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 17:44 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 17:31

Having no GM is the happiest I've been about that position in years. Sincerely .

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80)
Next Topic:How can we fix the Oilers? realistically
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca