This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time?Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804392 is a reply to message #804386 ]
Thu, 21 April 2022 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 21 April 2022 16:36

NCREDiBLE wrote on Thu, 21 April 2022 14:28

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 22:00

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 13:05

Goose wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:04

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 10:46

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 13:32

Ovechkin officially 3rd all time in goals scored, passing Jagr with 767.

Next is Gordie Howe at 801.

Ever since Adam mentioned PEDs its hard not to wonder at this age.

There are a handful of players I have noticed who somehow have a career renaissance in an older age the past few seasons. I would have no way of knowing if any of them are actually guilty of any PEDs, but I have been more and more suspicious that it is a growing problem that the NHL is turning a blind eye to. IF (big if) Ovechkin is doing it and the NHL suspects it, then I think 100% he would be the reason they don't want to start looking into it more now.

This is one of those things that I wonder if it will get more attention when Bettman is no longer commissioner. There are some things that I do like about Bettman, which I never thought I would say, but at this point I think the NHL really needs someone new in that position.

Rod "the Bod" Brind'amour is definitely one guy I'm suspicious of and it bothers me every time I think about 2006. The guy looks to be on a pretty steep decline having scored 12G/38pts in 03/04, hadn't score 30 goals in almost a decade, and then scores 31G/70 pts in 05/06 at the age of 36. And then went on to score 26G/82 pts the next year at the age of 37. Almost 30 points higher than he had been scoring 5 years earlier.

The league scoring more coming out of the lockout might have had something to do with it, but I don't think a lot of guys on the wrong side of 35 were scoring 30 more points than they were pre-lockout.

I never thought about Brind'Amour much there because, like you said, there was that big scoring bump in 2006 and 2007.

The other player I always think about is Dustin Brown. Huge drop off in 2013-14 and was under 30 points 3 years in a row, then a little bump up to 36 and suddenly 61 points for a career high at age 34. He has slowly declined again, but still not as low as he was from ages 28-32. I suppose you could make the argument that he was used differently under Sutter, but that is a big decline and a big jump to blame on the coach.

Let's not forget Shawn Horcoff as well.

On NHL 14 I once scored 76 goals with Shawn Horcoff on be a gm mode lmao

Seriously tho, can Ovechkin hit 50 again next year and hold the record to himself? Kind of shocked with how Bossy & Gretzky owned the league that they didn't get 50 over 10 times. Imagine if Lemieux was healthy too I'm sure he would have had some hard numbers to break.

I once accomplished a similar feat where I broke all NHL single season scoring records with Tony Salmelainen. Was NHL 03 or 04.

Guy was stupid fast in that game.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804395 is a reply to message #804386 ]
Thu, 21 April 2022 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 21 April 2022 19:36

NCREDiBLE wrote on Thu, 21 April 2022 14:28

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 17 March 2022 22:00

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 13:05

Goose wrote on Wed, 16 March 2022 14:04

There are a handful of players I have noticed who somehow have a career renaissance in an older age the past few seasons. I would have no way of knowing if any of them are actually guilty of any PEDs, but I have been more and more suspicious that it is a growing problem that the NHL is turning a blind eye to. IF (big if) Ovechkin is doing it and the NHL suspects it, then I think 100% he would be the reason they don't want to start looking into it more now.

This is one of those things that I wonder if it will get more attention when Bettman is no longer commissioner. There are some things that I do like about Bettman, which I never thought I would say, but at this point I think the NHL really needs someone new in that position.

Rod "the Bod" Brind'amour is definitely one guy I'm suspicious of and it bothers me every time I think about 2006. The guy looks to be on a pretty steep decline having scored 12G/38pts in 03/04, hadn't score 30 goals in almost a decade, and then scores 31G/70 pts in 05/06 at the age of 36. And then went on to score 26G/82 pts the next year at the age of 37. Almost 30 points higher than he had been scoring 5 years earlier.

The league scoring more coming out of the lockout might have had something to do with it, but I don't think a lot of guys on the wrong side of 35 were scoring 30 more points than they were pre-lockout.

I never thought about Brind'Amour much there because, like you said, there was that big scoring bump in 2006 and 2007.

The other player I always think about is Dustin Brown. Huge drop off in 2013-14 and was under 30 points 3 years in a row, then a little bump up to 36 and suddenly 61 points for a career high at age 34. He has slowly declined again, but still not as low as he was from ages 28-32. I suppose you could make the argument that he was used differently under Sutter, but that is a big decline and a big jump to blame on the coach.

Let's not forget Shawn Horcoff as well.

On NHL 14 I once scored 76 goals with Shawn Horcoff on be a gm mode lmao

Seriously tho, can Ovechkin hit 50 again next year and hold the record to himself? Kind of shocked with how Bossy & Gretzky owned the league that they didn't get 50 over 10 times. Imagine if Lemieux was healthy too I'm sure he would have had some hard numbers to break.

I once accomplished a similar feat where I broke all NHL single season scoring records with Tony Salmelainen. Was NHL 03 or 04.

NHL 2004 was a wild one. PJ Axelsson won the Rocket Richard one season with 114 goals on the Bruins, so I went and traded for him thinking he would be amazing,, and he scored like 17 the next year for me.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804396 is a reply to message #804395 ]
Fri, 22 April 2022 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Lol these are hilarious.
Yeah the games come a long way even if it is just a slightly more advanced copy of nhl 14 now a days lol

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804735 is a reply to message #804396 ]
Fri, 29 April 2022 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike is currently online Mike

1 Cup

Despite his lofty totals, a couple of years ago I still thought he was unlikely to reach 894. But I didn’t expect another 50 goal season. When he potted his 50th this year I figured it’s now a foregone conclusion.

Well - looking at it again, he’s still 114 away. With 780 in 1274 games, that puts him at exactly 50 goals per 82GP over his career. So even at his career average of 50, he will need at least 3 more seasons.

Thing is, he has been incredibly durable. He’s only missed something like 45 games in his career and only 26 of those due to injury. That’s amazing for the way he plays.

Though 36 is not ancient by any stretch, you do start feeling things a bit more. And worse, those bumps and bruises start to take longer and longer to heal. He will miss his 3rd straight game tonight after getting hurt against the Leafs last week. If he starts to break down physically and starts missing more and more games, all of a sudden those 3 seasons needed become 4 or even 5.

I still don’t think there’s any chance he stops playing until he reaches it, even if he needs to play until he is 45. But there is still lots of work for him to do.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804746 is a reply to message #804735 ]
Fri, 29 April 2022 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 29 April 2022 07:55

Despite his lofty totals, a couple of years ago I still thought he was unlikely to reach 894. But I didn’t expect another 50 goal season. When he potted his 50th this year I figured it’s now a foregone conclusion.

I couldn't believe he hit 50 again this year as well. I'll be blown away if he does it again next year.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804753 is a reply to message #804746 ]
Fri, 29 April 2022 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

The real question is can he reach Gordie Howe's All time Professional record of 975?

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804797 is a reply to message #804735 ]
Sat, 30 April 2022 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 29 April 2022 07:55

Well - looking at it again, he’s still 114 away. With 780 in 1274 games, that puts him at exactly 50 goals per 82GP over his career. So even at his career average of 50, he will need at least 3 more seasons.

Thing is, he has been incredibly durable. He’s only missed something like 45 games in his career and only 26 of those due to injury. That’s amazing for the way he plays.

Though 36 is not ancient by any stretch, you do start feeling things a bit more. And worse, those bumps and bruises start to take longer and longer to heal. He will miss his 3rd straight game tonight after getting hurt against the Leafs last week. If he starts to break down physically and starts missing more and more games, all of a sudden those 3 seasons needed become 4 or even 5.

I still don’t think there’s any chance he stops playing until he reaches it, even if he needs to play until he is 45. But there is still lots of work for him to do.

I don't think he'll make it - but he's going to get closer than anyone who else. I think not even a great steroid program delays aging forever though, and I think he's likely to have some injuries over the next couple years. Paradoxically, I think any long playoff run is probably detrimental to his quest to top Gretzky in goals too. Means less rest and recovery time between seasons, and more chance of injury in games that don't count towards his goal totals.

If you're wondering, he's 16th all-time in playoff goals with 71. His next ties him with Marleau and Tikkanen for 14th. Gretzky of course tops that as well with 122 post-season tallies. Messier has 109, Kurri 106, Brett Hull has 103 and Glenn Anderson rounds out the top five with 93. I don't think OV will break in to that group. The only other active players in the top 50 are Crosby at 19th with 69, Malkin at 26th with 64 and Joe Pavelski at 31st with 61.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #801924 is a reply to message #801873 ]
Wed, 16 March 2022 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Ovechkin has become so popular an dwell known over the past few years that from the standpoint of the NHL, they wouldn't ever want to find him positive.. and its the old if you don't test you won't get a positive.. don't look.. you won't find..
The International Cycling Federation did the same with Lance Armstrong for years.. he brought in so much money and business from the USA for TV viewership, sponsors, bike companies.. that they even started to ignore his positives whenever he did pop. Money talks.
For pro sports leagues like NFL, MLB, NHL its all about the League Brand and the MONEY it makes..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #804389 is a reply to message #730408 ]
Thu, 21 April 2022 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

I was thinking about this today, so I figured I would throw my opinion out there. Whoever said it above is correct he who holds the title wears the crown. So the question to me is he even the second best of all time? I think he's better than Howe for goals, but I really have a hard time saying he's better than say bossy, Mario, or jagr. I think with jagr Time will tell, but I think I start to choke when it comes to Mario and bossy. It's a three horse race for second best of all time in my eyes and pretty impossible to put one above the rest.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #813497 is a reply to message #730408 ]
Sun, 06 November 2022 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

With Ovechkin 787th goal last night he now holds the record for most goals with one franchise, surpassing Howe.

The next milestone looks like goal 802 where he would pass Howe, leaving him 2nd in all time goals behind only The Great One.

Ovechkin has 7 goals in 13GP this season.

Clean house or bust

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #813597 is a reply to message #813497 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

What shocks me about Ovie is he has scored so many goals from the same spot. He barely moves. Why teams don't key on that is a mystery. You know they are trying to set him up from that spot.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #813598 is a reply to message #813597 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 11:05

What shocks me about Ovie is he has scored so many goals from the same spot. He barely moves. Why teams don't key on that is a mystery. You know they are trying to set him up from that spot.

Because the Caps have done a really good job of surrounding OV with players who are also capable of scoring on the PP. If you key on Ovechkin you're left with a 4 on 3 on the other half of the ice WITH Ovechkin lurking. As we saw last night the Caps can score even if he's not taking the shot.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #813599 is a reply to message #813597 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Same reason Drai scores half his goals from the same spot.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #813604 is a reply to message #813599 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 11:21

But Drai moves around some. Sure he has his "Spot" but he doesn't just stand there like Ovie does. You will see Drai in the corners, at the point sometimes as he moves around and then maybe settles into an area. Does Ovie move 10 ft one way or the other once he is in the zone?

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #813623 is a reply to message #813604 ]
Tue, 08 November 2022 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 12:08

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 08 November 2022 11:21

But Drai moves around some. Sure he has his "Spot" but he doesn't just stand there like Ovie does. You will see Drai in the corners, at the point sometimes as he moves around and then maybe settles into an area. Does Ovie move 10 ft one way or the other once he is in the zone?

CrusaderPi already explained it.

Ovechkin does move around somewhat. He's not stationary there, and it's not like his shooting spot is a 2x2 square. He has a great shot and can beat goalies from almost everywhere, but what makes him really lethal is that if you dedicate yourself to trying to stop him scoring from that spot, you're giving the rest of his team a chance to beat you 5v4. The Caps have consistently had other options who can also score - from Mike Green and Brooks Laich to Alexander Semin to Nicklas Backstrom to TJ Oshie to Evgeny Kuznetsov and now apparently to Ryan Strome. Because OV has a deadly accurate shot and a quick release, he just needs the puck in his wheelhouse and it's immediately on net.

In the did-you-know category, he's already the greatest PP goal scorer of all-time. He's got 290 now, 16 more than Dave Andreychuk and a full 86 more than Gretzky scored. Gretzky is 17th in PPG, so definitely was more a set-up man on the man-advantage. He had 686 assists on the man advantage almost 100 more than 2nd place.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815385 is a reply to message #730408 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Already at 800. On his way to another 50+ season.

95 left for the record with 3.5 years on his contract.

It seems like when, not if.

Clean house or bust

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815402 is a reply to message #730408 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I was too young to appreciate Mike Bossy, but Ovi is number one in my books.

Gretzky has the most, and I’m not sure why I can’t put him as the greatest. His numbers are unreal.

Neely was always hurt and had to retire early.
Bure (see above)
Brett Hull was like Ovechkin, but a level below.
Lemieux was more dynamic, but like McDavid he didn’t focus on being a goal scorer.

Ovi is #1 even if he doesn’t pass Wayne.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815405 is a reply to message #815402 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 14 December 2022 10:22

Gretzky has the most, and I’m not sure why I can’t put him as the greatest. His numbers are unreal.

Bure (see above)
Lemieux was more dynamic, but like McDavid he didn’t focus on being a goal scorer.

It's the era. It was a lot easier to score goal in Greztky era. Gretzky remains the greatest player.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815408 is a reply to message #815405 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 14 December 2022 10:35

Bure (see above)

It's the era. It was a lot easier to score goal in Greztky era. Gretzky remains the greatest player.

Gretzky isn't on PEDs though...

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815410 is a reply to message #815408 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 December 2022 13:11

Bure (see above)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/8f/31/a68f31bcf056128be3e9d28ffac18d61.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815411 is a reply to message #815408 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bure (see above)

In general, I don't know if I care about this moral stance anymore.

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815413 is a reply to message #815411 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 14 December 2022 13:18

Bure (see above)

Ironically, the Gretzky's probably have a significant sum sitting in a bet that OV passes his goal total.

https://d2l4kn3pfhqw69.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/gretzky-1024x576.jpg

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815414 is a reply to message #815413 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Drain that three!!! Shoot the goals!!

Clean house or bust

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815422 is a reply to message #815411 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Bure (see above)

Why is this not surprising?

icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes

Re: Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time? [message #815423 is a reply to message #815422 ]
Wed, 14 December 2022 18:39 Go to previous message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 14 December 2022 18:14

Bure (see above)

Why is this not surprising?

icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes

I'm out of pearls to clutch OC.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 December 2022 18:42]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Coyotes looking at 3-4 year deal in 5000 seat bldg
Next Topic:Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca